Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The last offensive minded head coach the Jets hired

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Yeh the entire NFL ... Mike Tomlin, Bellichick, Mike Smith in Atlanta, Tom Coughlin, Pete Caroll, Jeff Fisher, Lovie Smith.

Here's how the NEW NFL works ... 3 out of the 4 divisional leaders right now in the NFC have defensive minded coaches ... Mike Smith, Coughlin, Lovie Smith, and in the AFC 2 out of the 4 divsional leaders as well are defensive minded coaches ... Fox in Denver & Bellichick. The other division leader? A Special Teams coach in Baltimore and the next best record is the Steelers/Tomlin.

^ this should break down the ridiculous myth that the rest of the NFL has moved towards offensive minded coaches & that this is the way to go. What you need is a REAL QB, some offensive coaches, and thats that. This entire post was so factually wrong by a guy with scientist in his name lol. "come on guys offensive minded coaches guys, THATS THE FORMULA" ...
    Coughlin is an offensive coach by trade....

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Kubiak
    Mike Smith
    Garrett
    Munchak
    Mularkey
    Gailey
    Sean Peyton
    Pat Shurmer
    Smith was D in Jax, Balt, and Tenn. Kubiak who was an OC has built the Texas's around his D. Most of his draft picks have been D. Gailey was a DC before he was an OC and hasn't done anything as a HC. Peyton is not coaching right now but Vitt a LB coach is. Peyton was PB assistant though so he did learn from the best D minded coach in the biz. The rest are considered the worst coaches in the league right now. Most of your best coaches right now and in the history of the game have been D. So 10 out of 32 are O minded coaches that is more then I thought but still the original comment is wrong. Most of the league picks D minded coaches.

PS I'll admit 2 of these guys I didn't even know where head coaches right now.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 11-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets had a HC and they threw him in the garbage because he was not what the NFL and it's fans expect a HC to be. He was a Leader of men who didn't micro managed, Just led his team.

His worst seasons as HC came when he was forced to play with the QB who was not his desired starter heading into a season or for large parts of a season. Combined with that, he was forced to play without some of his better players because the FO decided that the money those players wanted didn't reflect their performance.

Under Rex Ryan the Jets gave Mark Sanchez a bonus and a new contract coming off his worse season in the NFL . The Jets followed that up by givind a malcontent WR a new contract the season after his actions were instramental in that same miserable season.

Under this aforementioned HC, The Jet allowed the best WR on the team to leave in a contract dispute. The following yr after improving to top 5 in defense the Jets again allowed that HC's Defensive anchor at NT to leave via a contract dispute.

Yes my friends the Jets had a real HC but alast, he didn't fit the mold of what a HC should look like. Funny,Mark Sanchez looks exactly like what a Franchise QB should look like.

Then he plays.
    You are talking about Mangini, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Gruden, Cowher, Holmgren?

I'm okay with a "retread" coach. Heck, Parcells was a retread. What we need is experience, level-headness, and an action over words mentality. Those three guys do seem to have it. My preference would be for Cowher.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

I'm okay with a "retread" coach. Heck, Parcells was a retread. What we need is experience, level-headness, and an action over words mentality. Those three guys do seem to have it. My preference would be for Cowher.
    2 burned out men and an egomaniac who want total control of whatever organization is stupid enough to hir him as their GM/HC.

No Thanks Pal.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    If Holmgren wants to coach again....
    my god no

Jay Gruden as head coach.

Let him bring in his own people.

Fire Tannenbaum, hire Kevin Abrams, assistant GM of the Giants who served under both Accorsi and Reese. If not Abrams, I think Mangini would be a good general manager, despite being a bad head coach.

Possible defensive coordinators could be the Niners Defensive line coach, Jim Tomsula, who is very highly regarded or possibly even (gasp) Rob Ryan who is most likely on the way out of Dallas since Jones isn't going to fire Garrett and their defense hasn't exactly been amazing.

My sentimental pick for head coach or offensive coordinator would be Chad Pennington, who I think will be as good if not better than Harbaugh has been in San Francisco.

Any mention of Cowher, Reid, or Holmgren should force you to perma ban yourself from JI.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

I have nothing against the idea really. Heck I'd take Andy Reid. I just don't think it is a good idea taking a coach that has been away from the game for more then a year. Gruden is only coming back because no one likes him on TV. He wasn't a great coach he just stepped into the right place at the right time. He was 57 and 55 not exactly a great win %. Dungy was the real master mind of that team. Cowher I doubt he comes back. I think he is just using it as leverage to get a better TV deal. He'd be stupid to want to come back give people actually like him. Holmgren maybe. I'd rather Rex to be honest. As much as people are bashing him as a GM I'd take him over Tanny though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Jay Gruden as head coach.

Let him bring in his own people.

Fire Tannenbaum, hire Kevin Abrams, assistant GM of the Giants who served under both Accorsi and Reese. If not Abrams, I think Mangini would be a good general manager, despite being a bad head coach.

Possible defensive coordinators could be the Niners Defensive line coach, Jim Tomsula, who is very highly regarded or possibly even (gasp) Rob Ryan who is most likely on the way out of Dallas since Jones isn't going to fire Garrett and their defense hasn't exactly been amazing.

My sentimental pick for head coach or offensive coordinator would be Chad Pennington, who I think will be as good if not better than Harbaugh has been in San Francisco.

Any mention of Cowher, Reid, or Holmgren should force you to perma ban yourself from JI.
    I am seriously on this band wagon. I think this would be an amazing hire.

Waterboy
    I think Pennington would make a great OC. The guy had everything it took to be a great QB and leader, except the arm strength which isn't needed for coaching.

It seems like ages since we had true leaders like Penny and Martin on this team. What the hell happened???

The debate over an offensive or defensive minded HC is ludicrous. What the Jets need is a "head coach" minded HC. The HC is in charge of EVERYTHING. Offense, Defense, Special teams, all the other coaches, practice, game plans, how to use the personnel who are on the roster. Heck, other than situations where there are contract consideration, for the most part the HC gets to pick the players that fill out his 53 man roster.

Let's get a guy that understands he is HC, rather than a DC or OC who happens to be a HC.