Thread: The sad reality of it all.

Hall Of Fame

The sad reality of it all.

For as much as everyone wants to bench Sanchez, fire Rex and Tanny, and make wholesale changes with the front office, the reality of it all is that nothing will be done after this season.

Rex and Tanny's contracts both run through 2014. Sanchez is guaranteed big money next year and would have 17 million in dead money if cut, he is going nowhere. I highly doubt Woody is going to eat 17 million for Sanchez AND eat two years of contracts for Rex AND Tanny. Economics play a huge part in decision making in the NFL. I have not seen anything from Woody to suggest he would eat all that money to make the necessary changes.

Lets face it, this cast of characters is here for the duration of this year and next.

Jets Insider VIP
    Then nobody is going to the games next year. Nobody is buying jets merchandise etc. Nobody is watching on tv either.

Woody's actions this season have all been bottom line driven. I could see what you're suggesting happening, however I feel there is a big divide in this team. Woody clearly wanted Tebow. It's clear Rex and Sparano want nothing to do with him. My wonder is whether Tanny wanted Tebow as well or was just doing the bidding of the owner. That divide could be the factor that drives Woody to make a move regardless of the money issue.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Woody's actions this season have all been bottom line driven. I could see what you're suggesting happening, however I feel there is a big divide in this team. Woody clearly wanted Tebow. It's clear Rex and Sparano want nothing to do with him. My wonder is whether Tanny wanted Tebow as well or was just doing the bidding of the owner. That divide could be the factor that drives Woody to make a move regardless of the money issue.
    The timeline of events suggests that the Tebow move was 100% owner driven. Again, I still do not think that Woody is prepared to eat all that money necessary to make the changes.

For all the "bottom line" talk, is there any ballkpark figure of any of Woodys idiotic moves actually making a difference.

Forbes values the team at $1.1 billion dollars and woody paid approximately $640 million for them....pretty decent profit so far.

Instead of a west side stadium, Woody was able to split the cost of the new Air Conditioner we sit in. No idea what his actual cost is there.

As far as seats, even with the poor PSL pricing and numerous other mistakes, the PSLs are still 90% sold, so barring a MASS exodus of people breaking their contracts, that ticket revenue is locked in for years.

Many of the UD seats are sold, and those that arent cant be a signicifant source of revenue for him.

The TV revenus is shared equally, so I dont believe it matters if we are on national TV 2, 3, or 4 times, other then for brand expansion.

Jersey sales are a factor obviously, but I believe that is shared too, and again, can that really be that big of a line item for a billion dollar company?

Maybe im missing something, but all this seems like a very misguided attempt, by an owner who has never run a business in his life, to generate meaningless revenue.

Gotta figure a "non-headline grabbing team" can make a lot more money with a single home playoff game then they could selling 250K more jerseys.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Then nobody is going to the games next year. Nobody is buying jets merchandise etc. Nobody is watching on tv either.
    It's a sad reality that the only authentic Jets jerseys I will buy are for retired or near-retired players...because you simply never know what will happen with this franchise. I have Namath, Curtis Martin, and Joe Klecko jerseys. Toyed with the idea of buying a Revis jersey in 2009...then his holdouts started and I thought he could be gone at any time. Actually considered a Sanchez jersey after the 2010 run to the AFCCG.

Maybe I play it too safe...but better safe than sorry IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    For all the "bottom line" talk, is there any ballkpark figure of any of Woodys idiotic moves actually making a difference.

Forbes values the team at $1.1 billion dollars and woody paid approximately $640 million for them....pretty decent profit so far.

Instead of a west side stadium, Woody was able to split the cost of the new Air Conditioner we sit in. No idea what his actual cost is there.

As far as seats, even with the poor PSL pricing and numerous other mistakes, the PSLs are still 90% sold, so barring a MASS exodus of people breaking their contracts, that ticket revenue is locked in for years.

Many of the UD seats are sold, and those that arent cant be a signicifant source of revenue for him.

The TV revenus is shared equally, so I dont believe it matters if we are on national TV 2, 3, or 4 times, other then for brand expansion.

Jersey sales are a factor obviously, but I believe that is shared too, and again, can that really be that big of a line item for a billion dollar company?

Maybe im missing something, but all this seems like a very misguided attempt, by an owner who has never run a business in his life, to generate meaningless revenue.

Gotta figure a "non-headline grabbing team" can make a lot more money with a single home playoff game then they could selling 250K more jerseys.
    I don't know eagle, one this I will say is up until this season Woody never really got involved or showed any indication that he would not spend money or hold the team to decisions that sell Jerseys. We have always been bumped up against the cap, we have always signed FA's to fill needs.....people use Favre as an example that Woody wanted to sell seats and Jerseys, however Favre was a HOF caliber QB and people forget he was having the best season as a QB for the Jets until he was injured. Farve over Pennington or Clemens was a no brainer.

This season we have spent nothing on any glaring needs we have and traded for Tebow. I think there is an issue with money on this team, and it scares the crap out of me.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

I think that it goes a little beyond the fiscal bottom line with Woody. He seems to have this need for the Jets to seem relevant and attention worthy even if their play does not warrant that. I think he saw in the 80s and 90s when the Jets were bad, that they were pretty much ignored around the league and considered the "other" team in NY. I think he feels that by making splash moves, aka Favre, Tebow, that everyone will still talk about the Jets and write headlines. Thats why he likes Rex, he talked a big game, got headlines, made outlandish predictions and kept the Jets relevant in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think that it goes a little beyond the fiscal bottom line with Woody. He seems to have this need for the Jets to seem relevant and attention worthy even if their play does not warrant that. I think he saw in the 80s and 90s when the Jets were bad, that they were pretty much ignored around the league and considered the "other" team in NY. I think he feels that by making splash moves, aka Favre, Tebow, that everyone will still talk about the Jets and write headlines. Thats why he likes Rex, he talked a big game, got headlines, made outlandish predictions and kept the Jets relevant in the media.
    I really dont think the favre thing was "splash only". I love chad and appreciate what he gave to the team. In hindsight we probably would have made the playoffs with him that year.

BUT, NE/Belichick had chad and our offense figured out and we were never gonna beat them with chads physical limitations. Favre was an upgrade at the position and if he actually wanted to be here adn the staff handled his injury better, we would have done a lot better.