Thread: There has to be some deep repercussions

There has to be some deep repercussions

If the Jets do have a really bad season, and all signs point to that, that there has to be some really deep repercussions beyond the replacement of the offense coordinator. As much as I like Rex as a person he just doesn't seem to be able to grasp how to motivate the team and continually overrates the talent. Tanny has a lot to answer for as well as none of our draft picks over the years have turned out to be anything or anyone special. If Woody wants to see a lot of empty seats next year just keep on doing what he is doing

Jets Insider VIP
    If Rex stays sparano stays. You are not getting rid of the guy after 1 season.

All League
    We all know there should definitely be repercussions for the state of the franchise, but how many of us believe there will be? I really can't see Woody making the necessary moves to give this franchise stability. IMO, Tanny should be the first one to get the ax, and from there the natural evolution of things would transpire. . .

. . . I can always dream

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    We all know there should definitely be repercussions for the state of the franchise, but how many of us believe there will be? I really can't see Woody making the necessary moves to give this franchise stability. IMO, Tanny should be the first one to get the ax, and from there the natural evolution of things would transpire. . .

. . . I can always dream
    Agreed!

This is the New York Jets. Do you actually believe that there would be any repercussions? Since when?
    Lets see...

We have had dumba$$ owners for generations.
    Ditto on 99% of the coaches.
    Ditto on talent evaluation and development.

Players don't want anything to do with this team. This is where you come to die, career wise. Any player with talent usually gets signed away. This is where you get a great payday and are never challenged for your starting position.This is where you fire the head coach and keep his dumba$$ coaching staff. This can go on for a while... This is a team that doesn't even have it's own stadium.

THIS IS THE NEW YORK JETS!!!

This sh!t will never change.

There will be..... season ticket prices and parking will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    There will be..... season ticket prices and parking will go up.
    SO TRUE.

The team makes money from concessions, parking and what ever. Season is over, don't sell the tickets, just don't go. When 15-20,000 or less show up, then Woody will notice. 6-10 games with decreasing numbers will make him take notice.

Hall Of Fame
    Anything other than a GM change makes no sense at all. If we hire a credible GM with the power to make all of the decisions that you want your GM to be able to make then all of the other problems are for him to sort out.

The commissioner is not going to force Woody to sell the team and so GM is the only logical remaining starting point if you feel as I do that this team has been led in the wrong direction for years.

I would be personally surprised if Rex and/or Mark survive a GM regime change but any discussion on these boards about changes that need to be made below the GM position are discussions that have the effect of letting Tannenbaum off the hook. Don't let Tannenbaunm off the hook. We did that once before when he managed to blame Eric Mangini while conveniently managing to have us forget that Mangini was his personal choice.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Anything other than a GM change makes no sense at all. If we hire a credible GM with the power to make all of the decisions that you want your GM to be able to make then all of the other problems are for him to sort out.

The commissioner is not going to force Woody to sell the team and so GM is the only logical remaining starting point if you feel as I do that this team has been led in the wrong direction for years.

I would be personally surprised if Rex and/or Mark survive a GM regime change but any discussion on these boards about changes that need to be made below the GM position are discussions that have the effect of letting Tannenbaum off the hook. Don't let Tannenbaunm off the hook. We did that once before when he managed to blame Eric Mangini while conveniently managing to have us forget that Mangini was his personal choice.
    Exactly. This team really hasnt had a regime change in the front office for a long time. Bradway and Tanny have been making decisions for well over a decade, all they did was swap some job titles in 2006, made Tanny the official GM and still kept Bradway in charge of player personnel. It was a joke. For this team to really change they need new blood in the front office, otherwise it will be business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post

The problem with firing Tannenbaum is that many of the major problems that this team is faced with all stem from, at least from what most of us believe, Woody's direction.

How can Woody fire Tanny for mistakes of trading for Tebow, signing Burress trading away so many picks when it seems the reason for all of that was for short term gain and publicity directed by the owner?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The problem with firing Tannenbaum is that many of the major problems that this team is faced with all stem from, at least from what most of us believe, Woody's direction.

How can Woody fire Tanny for mistakes of trading for Tebow, signing Burress trading away so many picks when it seems the reason for all of that was for short term gain and publicity directed by the owner?
    Baseball has a history where the commissioner can impose punishments on owners who are not running their franchises in a manner that is consistent with the best interests if the sport. The NFL not so much. Some franchises have been in the toilet or a laughing stock for decades so the Woody Johnson is not going to get penalized here by Roger Goodell.

Everything else, everything else comes back to the door of the GM. Which players to draft. Which coaches to hire. Which big contracts to sigh up for and which ones to pass on. All of these issues belong to the GM. If you are correct and Woody, the meddling owner has caused some of this then the only potential cure for that problem is to have a couple of high profile repected GMs refuse to take the job because they do not beleive that Woody will stay out of their kitchen. If that happens then maybe we get a wider discussion of all the meddling ownership things.

Even if Woody is the issue than at some point Mike Tannenbaum needed to get a spine and hand in his resignation. He did not do that and so even in that case of the meddling owner he (Mike Tannenbaum) actually owns the outcome. Persoanlly I think Woody has interfered to some degree but the Lion's share of the missteps have been 100% the product of Mike Tannenbaum's poor vision.

- Don't trade away picks.

- Don't overpay for other team's over the hill talent.

- Don't pick poorly with your own (reduced number of) picks.

- Try to find a microphone somewhere on the planet that you do not love.

- Stop trying to save your job in the media by trying to score the flashiest PR deal in every offseason.

- Pick better head coaches.

Unfortunately, the Owner can't fire himself, since this is what you get when your Owner is someone whose only experience "running" anything was limited to running his gold-plated choo-choo trains as a child and who bought the team with money from his daddy's trust funds.

Does it strike anyone else here as ironic that Woody Johnson, who has never worked a productive day in his life, was Chairman of a Republican's presidential campaign? Talk about a "Taker" vs. a "Maker." Woody Johnson can't make paper airplanes but he sure did know how to take his inheritance!

With Johnson as owner, I doubt that the Jets will ever get a high profile, independently minded GM or the kind of Coach who would come with such a GM, even when Tannenchez and Ryan have finally been put out of their misery.