Thread: Cap Question

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cap Question

Can you negotiate a cap hit down?

Sanchez counts like 13 against the cap and 17 if he is traded or released.

So $4M dead money stays no matter what.

Can they go to him and say we are going to release you. I dont think next year is guaranteed so they can say we will give you another $4M or something like that and make you a free agent.

Is that legal in the NFL?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Can they go to him and say we are going to release you. I dont think next year is guaranteed so they can say we will give you another $4M or something like that and make you a free agent.

This is not my specialty but his salary is guaranteed next year in the neighborhood of 8.5 to 10 million against the 2013 cap... However, I think if they released him in June 2013, they can absorb that cap hit over 2 years...2013 and 2014...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

His contracted salary next year is Guaranteed, what does he care if he is cut?

The way this contract is structured, no cap savings are possible unless he gets suspended.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that was the major mistake by Tanny this year by extending his contract he guaranteed next years salary. I believe the salary hit is close to $13m

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If he is traded we do save cap. His 8.5 mil salary is transferable. Problem is who will pay 8.5 mil for him. I mentioned it in anther thread the only way we can trade him is pretty much the same way we traded hunter. We'd have to pick up at least that much in cap trash in return. AKA trade to Oakland in a package deal taking 12 mil in their crap we could oddly use. It is either that or we move him as a package with Revis. I'd rather have Sanchez off the team then a high end draft pick really. Kick me a 3rd take Mark and Revis lets call it a trade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If he is traded we do save cap. His 8.5 mil salary is transferable. Problem is who will pay 8.5 mil for him. I mentioned it in anther thread the only way we can trade him is pretty much the same way we traded hunter. We'd have to pick up at least that much in cap trash in return. AKA trade to Oakland in a package deal taking 12 mil in their crap we could oddly use. It is either that or we move him as a package with Revis. I'd rather have Sanchez off the team then a high end draft pick really. Kick me a 3rd take Mark and Revis lets call it a trade.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but i dont think you could give ANY TEAM in the NFL Mark Sanchez + 25 million under the table cash, and take all the crappy players they have in return. No GM is this stupid.

With Revis? Ouch. Possible, but i have to LOL that it has come to this.

Can we keep him as the 2nd stringer and use him in Punt Protect or as a gunner?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk, but i dont think you could give ANY TEAM in the NFL Mark Sanchez + 25 million under the table cash, and take all the crappy players they have in return. No GM is this stupid.

With Revis? Ouch. Possible, but i have to LOL that it has come to this.

Can we keep him as the 2nd stringer and use him in Punt Protect or as a gunner?
    Oh I agree just stating the facts. It is the only way we can get rid of him without just taking the full 17+ mil hit. The odds are very slim but lets face it Oakland has made worse deals. I fully expect them to be looking to unload or cut McFadden, Seymour, Curry, Bey, McClain, Brisiel, Branch, and Janikowski. Alone not one of them are worth a 4th right now. Maybe McClain only because he just doesn't fit their new D. Vilma was a 4th McClain is a lesser talent IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Oh I agree just stating the facts. It is the only way we can get rid of him without just taking the full 17+ mil hit. The odds are very slim but lets face it Oakland has made worse deals. I fully expect them to be looking to unload or cut McFadden, Seymour, Curry, Bey, McClain, Brisiel, Branch, and Janikowski. Alone not one of them are worth a 4th right now. Maybe McClain only because he just doesn't fit their new D. Vilma was a 4th McClain is a lesser talent IMO.
    Man. The more i force myself to look at it logically, the more i feel Mark will really be here next year.

In what facet they plan to use him is another question worth debate.

Open QB Competition a la Mangini?

Draft a QB first round and groom him under Mark Sanchez (who would know he is a dog waiting to be put down)?

It makes for good speculation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    His contracted salary next year is Guaranteed, what does he care if he is cut?

The way this contract is structured, no cap savings are possible unless he gets suspended.
    Somebody inject him with HGH and call the commissioner.... QUICKLY !!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

We have Tannendouche to thank for this. He did the same on a lot of contracts. To get out of the mess $$$ wise will take at least another season. 2014 will actually be the first shot at rebuilding, as long as they fire Tanny & Rex. All bets are off if either of these two are still around.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    We have Tannendouche to thank for this. He did the same on a lot of contracts. To get out of the mess $$$ wise will take at least another season. 2014 will actually be the first shot at rebuilding, as long as they fire Tanny & Rex. All bets are off if either of these two are still around.
    I came to this exact realization last night. Next year is already looking dim.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Tannenloser is even worse than I thought.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes it worse is what we did with that cap space he cleared up. Really was it worth it to keep Hunter, DeVito, and Smith on the roster anther year? FFFFFFF