Okay, it's highly unlikely Parcells would take it, BUT....
To make a statement, let's start a movement as fans and season ticket holders DEMANDING Bill Parcells be offered (notice I said offered) the Job of EVP Football Operations.
Here's why I think the idea is good substantively:
- Obviously, he's a great football mind and if anyone can get us back in playoff contention in one year its him
- He could work with the current staff. And although we're all POed at them, it's probably better for the org to keep the staff in place with a stronger leadership presence than start all over again.
- He would relegate Mr.T to a capologist which is what he is good at. Parcells respects him in that role. But in this situation, Parcells would be buying the "groceries."
- Without doubt, I think Parcells would give a strong direction to Rex, Sporano and Pettine and he would recognize that the core personell of the defense is pretty good
- Parcells has never been one to coddle QBs, even Sims. He would either come to the conclusion that Sanchez is a goner, relegate him to the bench and/or find someone else. There'd be no favortism...i.e. "You are what you are."
Okay, so in the real world, Parcells probably wouldn't be interested. But Woody as an owner is a joke and if we create a coalition to force his hand in this direction maybe it will send a message. Maybe we ought to consider all walking out en masse at halftime at a home game if they are sucking as they are now in protest, pledging only to come back if he at least OFFERS the job to Parcells.
I really don't want to hear comments that Bill won't take the job. I know he probably won't. But wouldn't it be cool if we could put pressure on Woody to at least offer it to him. Whaddaya think?
Board Moderator Jets Insider VIP Charter JI Member
Post Thanks / Like
Originally Posted by Kotch
I would actually rather watch 3 more years of Rex/Sanchez than bring Bill Parcells back to the Jets in ANY capacity whatsoever.
A Parcells re-hire would signal that the Jets still aren't serious about planning for the future. If you are, you don't hire a guy his age and expect him to deliver.
The Jets need to find a smart young football talent for HC or GM, and get him a real QB.
Disagree. The Jets have been looking for smart, young talent and that search has brought us Rex, Mangini, Herm, Groh.....What the Jets need are PROVEN football men. Experienced coaches. A GM who knows and to draft and field winning teams. I am more than a little tired of taking chances on guys who seem to be good at their coordinator position but cannot make the transition to HC. Same goes for GM. I want a guy who has at least a decent drafting history, not a glorified accountant who thinks he knows something about football.
If Parcells took over:
Tanny would be go back to being a capologist.
Rex would be gone.
Sparano would be the head coach.
While that could be a possibility, I highly doubt that would happen IF Parcells were to become EVP of FO.
Parcells recommended Rex as HC when Woody/Tannenbaum reached out to him for his opinion. Rex has also had much more success as a HC and Coordinator than Sparano, and has done so with a glaring weakness at the most important position, also doing so in a much more demanding, pressure packed market.
I would sign up for Parcells running the show with Rex given atleast one more season. Sparano has to be demoted to OLine Coach at the very least and we need to bring in someone to legitimately compete with Sanchez for the starting spot as well.