Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Force Woody's Hand: Parcells for EVP, Ops

Undrafted Free Agent
    F Parcells.....the guy bailed on us once after he maxxed out the cap. His mantra was always "It's a 4 year plan"......yet he retired from coaching after 3. Stay retired Tuna!

Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    let's start a movement as fans and season ticket holders DEMANDING Bill Parcells be offered the Job of EVP Football Operations.
    **** no.

He already is effectively the EVP and the one who helped us get into this mess. Parcells was the one who originally hired Tannenbaum as a cap guru and, later, no doubt recommended him as GM. He's the one who recommended Rex Ryan as head coach. He's also the one who recommended the Jets hire Sporano, another one of his cronies, as offensive coordinator. He also appointed Terry Bradway as GM on his way out the door .... you can go on and on with this guy. The fact that Jets fans still kneel at the altar of Big Tuna is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    He already is effectively the EVP and the one who helped us get into this mess. Parcells was the one who originally hired Tannenbaum as a cap guru and, later, no doubt recommended him as GM. He's the one who recommended Rex Ryan as head coach. He's also the one who recommended the Jets hire Sporano, another one of his cronies, as offensive coordinator. He also appointed Terry Bradway as GM on his way out the door .... you can go on and on with this guy. The fact that Jets fans still kneel at the altar of Big Tuna is unbelievable.
    Not at all unbelievable. Look at the franchise pre-Parcells and post-Parcells. It amazing how people forget what a joke this frachise was before Parcells and how he brought legitimacy to the name NY Jets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    I honestly think Mangini would make a great GM/EVP. The Jets drafts when he was HC were among the best in franchise history. He knows how to find talent and build a team.
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Dick Vermeil was out of the game for over 20 years and came back to win a Super Bowl.
    Parcells is not a good GM. He did not draft well on the Jets, did well with the Cowboys, not well on the Dolphins. He is older, and seems to burn out faster and faster with his jobs.

Hire Ozzie's assistant with Baltimore, that's my suggestion. Great GM's don't go un-employed for very long. Overpay the crap out of him if you have to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It's amazing how bad the Jets drafts were in 1998 and 1999 with Parcells running the show.

Why in the world does anyone here want Parcells back?

As I recall, his last contribution to the organization was to drive Bill Belichick away as "HC of the NYJ." Whatever one thinks of the hooded one, he was probably this franchise's best chance since that time to turn the corner. He simply knew that he couldn't work under the Parcellian thumb. Nor would any other respectable HC want to work for him, once the Rex Ryan era collapses to its inevitable demise.

Parcells worked similar "magic" from the front office in Miami. I'll grant he did a great job drafting Jake Long (not that that was all that big a "decision'), but his HC's...Cam Cameron? Tony Sparano (unless you like this year's offense of course)? Come on!

Great Coach. Lousy in a suit in the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Not at all unbelievable. Look at the franchise pre-Parcells and post-Parcells. It amazing how people forget what a joke this frachise was before Parcells and how he brought legitimacy to the name NY Jets.
    If you're talking about his years on the sidelines, I agree. Not so much in the front office.

Still, that's the first time in a long time that I've seen the words "legitimacy" and "NY Jets" used in the same sentence...without an intervening negative.

If you're looking for someone to give your football team one or two big seasons, with no regard for the salary cap, building a foundation of young players or any other type of long-term planning, then yes, I would highly recommend Bill Parcells. He's got the smarts to slash and burn his way to a playoff defeat for any NFL team.

I really like Mangini when I see him on ESPN. The guy is calm, smooth, knows his chit & I think he learned a LOT coaching the Jets.
    He would be a really good GM & it would probably be the only way to kick Tannenbaum back where he belongs counting money.
    Mangini & Tanny I think are good friends even after the firing.

You guys have to remember that not one coach in the AFC east had a CHANCE of survival having to face the Pats twice a year with Brady in his prime.
    It's funny, during that time the Steelers were always winning their division but when they had to play the Patriots, the Pats always blew their doors off!

We have the 2nd best & not by much, QB in the NFL in our division in TB12, but he's getting older & their defense is almost pathetic! Can you imagine that Pats defense without the number 1 offense in the league protecting it?

I would love to see Mangini put together a team just in time to kick the Pats around for 5 years. When I see Rex, blabbing like an azz to the press about how great everyone is or explaining each & every injury down to the exact SPOT that hurts, I long for a nondescript coach like Mangini that treats the press like the enemy they are!

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I really like Mangini when I see him on ESPN. The guy is calm, smooth, knows his chit & I think he learned a LOT coaching the Jets.
    He would be a really good GM & it would probably be the only way to kick Tannenbaum back where he belongs counting money.
    Mangini & Tanny I think are good friends even after the firing.

You guys have to remember that not one coach in the AFC east had a CHANCE of survival having to face the Pats twice a year with Brady in his prime.
    It's funny, during that time the Steelers were always winning their division but when they had to play the Patriots, the Pats always blew their doors off!

We have the 2nd best & not by much, QB in the NFL in our division in TB12, but he's getting older & their defense is almost pathetic! Can you imagine that Pats defense without the number 1 offense in the league protecting it?

I would love to see Mangini put together a team just in time to kick the Pats around for 5 years. When I see Rex, blabbing like an azz to the press about how great everyone is or explaining each & every injury down to the exact SPOT that hurts, I long for a nondescript coach like Mangini that treats the press like the enemy they are!
    Mangini got a raw deal here. The guy was a rookie HC with little experience and took a shell of a team to the playoffs his first year. Everyone makes fun of "its a process" but the guy was right. There was no patience for Mangini b/c he had a "douchebag" personality. Whereas Rex was given the benefit of the doubt b/c he is "learning on the job" , Mangini was never given the same slack. And to top it off, Mangini got screwed his final year b/c he had a 40 year old QB forced down his throat. Even though that same season ended bad, he still finished 9-7. The same record Rex had his first year (thanks to Indy not playing the 2nd half and Cinci having nothing to play for). Difference is Rex was lucky to be coaching a year where 9-7 got him in the playoffs.

Parcells coaching history:

Won SB w/Giants convincingly in 86
    Won SB w/Giants on a Norwide prayer in 90
    Lost SB w/Pats in 96
    Lost AFC Championship w/Jets in 98
    Lost WC game w/Dallas in 03
    Backed into WC game and lost w/Dallas in 06

After the Giants, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    After NE, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    After the Jets, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    After Dallas, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    He quit on his wife.
    He quit on his kids.
    He quit on NBC, or whatever station he was with commentating.

The guy is a great quitter at best. No way would I want to see him involved with the Jets ever again. I won`t mention Miami, but, they weren`t left in good shape either. Just look at his coaching trend. It`s all downhill after winning with the Giants. He hasn`t done squat since 1990. I don`t care about that bringing a team back to contention stuff. He just quits leaving every team he`s been with in worse shape than before he got there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    Parcells coaching history:

Won SB w/Giants convincingly in 86
    Won SB w/Giants on a Norwide prayer in 90
    Lost SB w/Pats in 96
    Lost AFC Championship w/Jets in 98
    Lost WC game w/Dallas in 03
    Backed into WC game and lost w/Dallas in 06

After the Giants, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    After NE, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    After the Jets, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    After Dallas, he quit leaving them in shambles.
    He quit on his wife.
    He quit on his kids.
    He quit on NBC, or whatever station he was with commentating.

The guy is a great quitter at best. No way would I want to see him involved with the Jets ever again. I won`t mention Miami, but, they weren`t left in good shape either. Just look at his coaching trend. It`s all downhill after winning with the Giants. He hasn`t done squat since 1990. I don`t care about that bringing a team back to contention stuff. He just quits leaving every team he`s been with in worse shape than before he got there.
    He didnt leave the Jets in shambles. Thats ridiculous.

The year after he quit they finished 9-7 just missing the playoffs. Since he quit in 1999 they made the playoffs 6 times out of 12 seasons including one division championship, 6 playoff wins and 2 AFC Championship appearances. Had eight winning seasons and only two 4 win seasons (never less than 4 wins)

Do you know what the Jets History was prior to Parcells?
    They made the playoffs only 5 times between 1970-1997. Had ZERO division championships, only 3 playoff wins, 10 seasons of 4 or less wins and only 5 winning seasons in the 27 years before Parcells.

If Parcells left us in shambles, then please hire him back.

He didnt leave the Jets in shambles. Thats ridiculous.

The year after he quit they finished 9-7 just missing the playoffs. Since he quit in 1999 they made the playoffs 6 times out of 12 seasons including one division championship, 6 playoff wins and 2 AFC Championship appearances. Had eight winning seasons and only two 4 win seasons (never less than 4 wins)

Do you know what the Jets History was prior to Parcells?
    They made the playoffs only 5 times between 1970-1997. Had ZERO division championships, only 3 playoff wins, 10 seasons of 4 or less wins and only 5 winning seasons in the 27 years before Parcells.

If Parcells left us in shambles, then please hire him back.
    Belichick. Nuff said. That was shambles in my eyes.

Whatever the Jets did AFTER Parcells left, has NOTHING to do with Parcells at all. He wasn`t here. He gets no credit for it. The second AFC East Title was a fluke. Too many cards had to be dealt exactly for the Jets to win it at 9-7. Basically backed into the title. But you`re right, a title is a title. Still, I ain`t too proud about it because it led to nothing afterall.

Do you know what the Jets history is before(as far back as 1970), during and after Parcells?

NOTHING. 43 years and counting. Now thats history.
    Last edited by The Band; 11-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    LOL, no.

Hiring Bill Parcells is like hiring out Beetlejuice. You're so desperate and you know he can do anything, but he always ends up screwing you in the end.

Which one?

Last edited by Vin; 11-13-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Can't we ever move on from BP? The guy is over 70 and is playing with his horses in Saratoga and golfing in Jupiter. He's not coming back and is no longer relevant. No matter what the future is it's not Parcells.
    Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 11-13-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Parcells ran for the hills after screwing us royally with bonuses to his guys. We couldn't even afford to keep our draft. I hate that bastard and the state he left us in. F him.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Parcells ran for the hills after screwing us royally with bonuses to his guys. We couldn't even afford to keep our draft. I hate that bastard and the state he left us in. F him.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Yeah....I mean after all....The Jets went 1-15 EVERY FRIGGIN' YEAR after he left and NEVER made the playoffs. Right?

Let's have some perspective here, Jumbalaya.