Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top ten Jets thoughts of the week.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Lost in the Sanchez and Holmes debacle is how bad a deal David Harris's is. I can understand, somewhat, the overpaying of Sanchez and even Holmes. The Jets felt that they were somewhat desperate at those positions and really needed to get something for the Offense.

But with Harris, they seemed to have drastically overpaid a guy who wasn't demanding to be overpaid and came up with a deal that they can't really get out of until it expires. And Harris, more than anyone I think, has regressed tremendously. Not sure if he's hurt, fat or what, but he whiffed on some big tackles this week and its pretty much the same song every week.

At least with Sanchez, the team took a risk of re-signing him to a deal where, if he performed, he would be a bargain. Didn't like it, but I at least understood it. Harris got more than the top LBs out there based on lower performance and lower projections. Mangold and D'Brick deserved what they got - Harris? Not by a long shot.

I always thought Mangini got somewhat of a bum rap. Problem is, he had the charisma of a pencil, but he was stuck with an aging QB with a hurt arm and he was powerless to bench him. That team, coming off wins at TN and NE, was poised for something special. Its a shame it went down the way it did.
    Excellent post. Was shocked how poorly he played Sunday, and really most of this season. He and Keller have regressed more in last two years than any players I can think of that aren't named Sanchez

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Revis is on the books this year for $8m, even if they extend him his salary probably won't exceed $15m per annum. The Jets have Pace, Scott, Sanchez, Moore & Holmes that are either coming off the books or they can release with a huge upside on the cap. Those 5 players represent 34% of the entire cap.
    Sanchez will hit the cap harder if he is cut than if he is kept on the team. Holmes will save you 1.25 mil that is all. moore is not even on the books next year as he is a FA. Pace and Scott will save about 15 mill between the both of them and both Smiths will save the jets another 15 mill. The jets will have about 3-4 mill as a carryover credit from this year and are now 20 mill over the 2013 cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post

2. Some team out there is going to trade a late round pick for Mark Sanchez this offseason alleviating us from much of his contracts dead money. Why? because someone out there is going to make excuses for him(like most of you) and thinks all he needs is a change of scenery.
    From your lips to any teams ears....

3. Jimmy Johnson had mentioned the biggest coaching tool one could ever have is fear. Fear that a player could lose his job. While Rex has many of the makings of a great coach there is no competition for jobs, no fear. He tried to use love and compliments and it went no where. Its his fatal flaw. Mangini and Belichek had those guys afraid every week of losing their job.
    Absolutely true. Jimmy Johnson would NEVER have put up with this. Johnson had an ego, but would never let it stand in the way of winning. Rex' ego is the problem here I think. He cannot let go of the fact Sanchez was his boy, and he was either the wrong pick or they just did not do what was necessary to help him succeed.

4. Mike T's Fatal flaw has been going for the homerun and passing on depth. When you hit its great but there are so many bust in the NFL, and with injuries a recipe for disaster.

9. Our Cap. Bad News first: Mark Sanchez and Holmes contract are horrible. Our best scenerio is trading them for 6/7th round picks to take some of the burden off our cap. Ok now the good news> We are in really amazing shape next year and the year after besides those two deals.
    He went for the fence too many times and it cost this team VALUABLE depth. Everybody joked about it only cost us three scrubs and a 3rd to get Sanchez, except those scrubs contributed to the team, especially special teams. Our cap situation is good next year (and great if Sanchez and Holmes are gone) and is F$$$ING great in two years. This team will be completely rebuilt in two years.

10. Heres the big question for you guys. The NY Jets are very similar to the 2011 Broncos. People were going to lose jobs there and Tebow saved their season. The question for you people is : Do you root for Tebow to win, and salvage the season or do you root for him to lose and we clean house including Sanchez, the front office and coaching staff? And let's not make this a tebow vs McElroy debate. Either guy succeeding could save Rex and tannys job. So do u root for our team, for mediocrity, a 8-8 record. Or do u want to clean house
    You know what you have in Tebow. I think you need to see what you have in McElroy. Is he a viable back-up QB? Only way to tell is by playing him.

Extra Points.
    1- With the emergence of Kopernick I wonder if Alex Smith will be available in the offseason. Alex Smith has improved so much. He completes everything, and doesnt turn the ball over. Its seems like he may be a late bloomer and a guy that still has upside. Him and Matt Flynn are interesting guys to look at.
    Alex Smith would be a PERFECT fit in this offense, so long as we could put a bit of talent around him. Perhaps a solid trade would work.

4-Andy Reid. Great talent evalutor, and the bill cowher of this decade but people are hating on him at this time. He would be a great guy to target.
    Could Reid be a GM? While he is a great evaluator of talent, I am not sure about him coaching here. But yes, this guy can evaluate players. That, or put a Jet spy in wherever he is coaching and get a look at his draft charts!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    No, that's not right. His salary guarantee for next year is $8.75M (including bonus). After that he can be cut with no problems. So it's not a huge burden on the other team.

See http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11085560 and http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html.

I believe trading him will create about $8M in dead money (the $17M you hear is what happens if he's cut) - but we'll save $8.75M in salary - so it will be a slight cap savings.

Personally, I think we *could* trade him. I suspect there will be teams that are willing to take a 1 year $9M flyer on a QB.
    This sums up exactly why Sanchez is getting traded. Someone will pay a late round pick for his upside. 9m is fairly cheap for a starting qb with upside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    They lost by 34 points at home to a 3-6 Titans team. They may have a brighter future as Tannehill looks like he could develop into a starter for a long time, but not sure this is the right week to hold up a team that lost by 34 points as an example. Maybe they only lose by 27 if he doesn't bench Bush or Incognito?

What Revis scenario or contract situation do you factor into your expectation of an amazing cap situation over the next two years for the Jets? Is he here?
    Re: dolphins.

During one loss philbin showed more balls then Rex has in years here. He did it to one of his best players too. I love it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone will pay a late round pick for his upside.
    Is throwing picks, sulking, holding on to the ball waaaaaaay to long, inaccurate, fumbling what you consider upside?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Good post but:

You state that you need a great qb to win and then say it would be a great idea to get Alex Smith.
    Alex smith has become one of the smartest and most accurate qb's in the nfl. He doesn't turn the ball over besides that one fluke game.

He also wouldnt require huge compensation. Yes, he would be a great guy to look at in the offseason if available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sums up exactly why Sanchez is getting traded. Someone will pay a late round pick for his upside. 9m is fairly cheap for a starting qb with upside.
    I'm shocked that Jets fans steadfastly refuse to see that other teams will certainly give sanchez another shot with a change of scenery & coaching.
    Jaws talked about his mechanics last night & had clips of him not setting his feet, throwing off balance ect.
    We have to face a truth here, this Jets Org. has KILLED this kids confidence.
    We all know that Cavanaugh is horrible. Rex knows chit about offense, Shoddy blows too & always has. Look around the league, look what the Seahawks spent on Matt Flynn?
    What will the Raiders do next year with an aging QB?
    There is always someone that believes they can "bring out the best" in someone.
    I could easily see the Raiders giving up a 4th round pick to bring Mark home & try to ressurrect his career back in Cali where he would be comfortable & back near his family.
    Also remember that the Raiders still like to use speed & throw down field! Mark wouldn't have to throw so many checkdowns ect. plus McFadden if healthy would be the best back Mark ever played with.
    Last edited by jetster; 11-13-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. While Sparano has done a better job with the running game then Schotty the confusion and running the play clock to 1 every play is mind boggling. The defense has a jump start on the play which is huge. The good QB's get to the line early and get a chance to see the blitzers, mike, and ifits zone or man. This is a poorly run unit.

Awful awful hire, a few of us said it at the time, most people fell for the lines that were fed us by Sparano and the people that hired him.

2. Some team out there is going to trade a late round pick for Mark Sanchez this offseason alleviating us from much of his contracts dead money. Why? because someone out there is going to make excuses for him(like most of you) and thinks all he needs is a change of scenery.

There is no team dumb enough to do this. no way, no how. Most teams know he is pure awful and have known it for years. It has just taken most jets fans an extra year or two to figure it out.

3. Jimmy Johnson had mentioned the biggest coaching tool one could ever have is fear. Fear that a player could lose his job. While Rex has many of the makings of a great coach there is no competition for jobs, no fear. He tried to use love and compliments and it went no where. Its his fatal flaw. Mangini and Belichek had those guys afraid every week of losing their job.

This is true, Rex for all the bluster and tough talk is actually very weak when it comes to making the right move.

4. Mike T's Fatal flaw has been going for the homerun and passing on depth. When you hit its great but there are so many bust in the NFL, and with injuries a recipe for disaster.

Nothing new here. I don't mind his penchant for trading up to get certain players but he treats later round picks like garbage, which is a huge mistake.

5. With Westoff leaving, a NY superbowl soon and all of the above we are looking at the rare case of the entire coaching staff and front office being fired at the end of the season.

Not going to happen. No chance. The owner is snookered and charmed by the flawed duo of Tanny and Rex.

6. I love what Philbin is doing in Miami. This week he benched Reggie bush after a fumble. He benched Incognito for a personal Foul. If your a coach you need to make it clear you are not their friend, and messing up is not tolerated. That teams future is brighter then ours right now.

There is no accountability with the Jets everyone knows it. The worst part of this is the team paying some of the worst offenders the biggest long term money.

7. Watching Scott Pioli in Kansas City. Mangini here. Crennel in Cleveland. Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh before and after Ben. Bill Belichek before and after Brady. People need to get it in their head. You simply do not win in the NFL unless you have a good qb. Sure you may sneak into the playoffs one year, but unless you get a QB you will not hve success. Shannahan knows this and was willing to trade many picks for one. He gets it.

In this day and age yes though I think some teams could still win with a competent QB. In any case the Jets have nothing resembling a good QB.

8. Who do we hire for HC? Someone who gets it. The Steelers didnt win a superbowl until they got big ben with Cowher. Cowher left, and what happened? They won another Superbowl. It wasnt Cowher people. Its was Big Ben.

No need to ask this as Rex is not going anywhere. Rex can be successful as a coach in my mind. However we need a real hard ass old curmudgeon of a GM that tells him to gtf away from all personnel decisions. Rex should cook the meal and have the groceries provided for him.

9. Our Cap. Bad News first: Mark Sanchez and Holmes contract are horrible. Our best scenerio is trading them for 6/7th round picks to take some of the burden off our cap. Ok now the good news> We are in really amazing shape next year and the year after besides those two deals.

No one and I mean no one is stupid enough to trade for either one of these jokers.

10. Heres the big question for you guys. The NY Jets are very similar to the 2011 Broncos. People were going to lose jobs there and Tebow saved their season. The question for you people is : Do you root for Tebow to win, and salvage the season or do you root for him to lose and we clean house including Sanchez, the front office and coaching staff? And let's not make this a tebow vs McElroy debate. Either guy succeeding could save Rex and tannys job. So do u root for our team, for mediocrity, a 8-8 record. Or do u want to clean house

Tebow should have been inserted as the starting QB over the bye week. People on here hate the guy but he was been a winner in his college and pro career and finds a way to get it done whereas our starter finds a way to fugg it up. The coaches and front office don't have the balls to do the right thing though.

Extra Points.
    1- With the emergence of Kopernick I wonder if Alex Smith will be available in the offseason. Alex Smith has improved so much. He completes everything, and doesnt turn the ball over. Its seems like he may be a late bloomer and a guy that still has upside. Him and Matt Flynn are interesting guys to look at.

NO! Smith is Mark Sanchez. Give him a top oline, running game and the best defense in the league and he looks okay. Remove even one of those and he will stink it up.

2-Dustin Kellers season of injurys and poor stats may lower his contract demands.

He should be let to walk unless he comes on the cheap, end of story.

3-Irvin looks pretty good in spurts for Seattle. Very Similar to Maybin. Maybin is going to be super cheap this offseason and all I could hope for is our new coach to sign himand use him on 3rd downs. And ofcourse move to the 4-3.

If we move to a 4-3 Maybin becomes obsolete and he has done nothing this year.

4-Andy Reid. Great talent evalutor, and the bill cowher of this decade but people are hating on him at this time. He would be a great guy to target.

Reid is burned out both football wise and family wise. He needs a couple of years out of the game if you ask me and then come back. I like him but he is not the proper guy to chase now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Alex Smith=Mark Sanchez. Both are nothing more than game managers, who can't carry a team when needed to.Only reason Smith looks better to some than Sanchez is that he's had the benefit of Harbough, where Sanchez has been saddled with Cavanaugh and Rex.
    I think you may not be watching football this year. Agree with Canada Steve here regarding smith.

-Mark Sanchez is the most inaccurate qb in the league. Alex smith is the most accurate qb in the league and almost set records with his accuracy a few games ago completing 90 percent of his passes.

-mark Sanchez is a turnover machine. Alex smith at one point this year didn't throw a interception for 230 passes. Outside of the giant game he has thrown only 1 pick.

-Alex smith is still young and cheap with and if finally reaching his upside with a ton of experience. He's a great guy to go after. Please watch him the rest of the season as he may even win his team the superbowl

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lost in the Sanchez and Holmes debacle is how bad a deal David Harris's is. I can understand, somewhat, the overpaying of Sanchez and even Holmes. The Jets felt that they were somewhat desperate at those positions and really needed to get something for the Offense.

But with Harris, they seemed to have drastically overpaid a guy who wasn't demanding to be overpaid and came up with a deal that they can't really get out of until it expires. And Harris, more than anyone I think, has regressed tremendously. Not sure if he's hurt, fat or what, but he whiffed on some big tackles this week and its pretty much the same song every week.

At least with Sanchez, the team took a risk of re-signing him to a deal where, if he performed, he would be a bargain. Didn't like it, but I at least understood it. Harris got more than the top LBs out there based on lower performance and lower projections. Mangold and D'Brick deserved what they got - Harris? Not by a long shot.

I always thought Mangini got somewhat of a bum rap. Problem is, he had the charisma of a pencil, but he was stuck with an aging QB with a hurt arm and he was powerless to bench him. That team, coming off wins at TN and NE, was poised for something special. Its a shame it went down the way it did.
    Nice post.

I'm really hoping we switch to the 4-3 and get rid of pace, Scott, and Harris. We have some really nice young dlineman in coples, wilkerson, and ellis that could thrive there. Davis old be a nice MLB in a 4-3 as he has some decent coverage ability.

Mangini was our best coach since parcels. He brought in tons of talent and surely our next coach will be a hard ass. His great draft picks are what led Rex to winning playoff games.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again,
    Why are they not even dressing McElroy, there are posters here who have all sorts of crap names for this kid who has never been given a chance to prove anything. If you ask me, I would look at him before Tebow , Tim is not a long term answer, at least not for the Jets anyway. So it makes sense to look at the kid who won a national championship running a pro style offense under a guy (Saban) who could be a damn good pro HC if he chose to.
    This was a kid who (like it or not ) spoke his mind and the truth about the situation last year. That is the sign of guy who will hold those around him accountable. As far as being a noodle arm, we had another one of those guys here and won a division championship with him. His arm was more then strong enough before being injured, what was never injured was his football smarts, which is why he went else where and even with a poorer arm did it again.
    I know everyone thinks the backup is the answer, yet how many BU's have won national titles,just saying don't dismiss McElroy without at least see what he can do.
    Think about it, who has a better chance of success in NFL a great arm and no football brains or the average armed QB with a high football IQ?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tune in next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alex smith has become one of the smartest and most accurate qb's in the nfl. He doesn't turn the ball over besides that one fluke game.

He also wouldnt require huge compensation. Yes, he would be a great guy to look at in the offseason if available.
    He just signed a 3 year 24 mil contract in March. I would think that they would want at least a mid to late 1st

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Alex Smith is brought in as an upgrade to Sanchez, I am not attending a game next year.

Alex Smith is WORSE than Sanchez, it's just that the Niners are loaded.

Their third receiver, Randy Moss, has more career catches, yards, and TDs than everybody eligible to catch a pass on the Jets combined.

Crabtree
    Manningham
    Vernon Davis
    Gore
    Hunter
    Delaney Walker
    Dominant offensive line. All-Pro Guard in Iaputi (sp?)

That team is STACKED. And that's before you mention the Head Coach being an offensive mastermind and arguably the best coach in the league.

Smith hasn't done anything aside from not lose games when that offense should be absolutely obliterating people.

Hell no on Alex Smith. For the love of God. It's like a modern day Neil O'Donnell/Boomer Esiason signing.............let some other idiot pick him up.

Kaepernick is going to be nasty, too. Dude runs like a Gazelle and can throw the ball 80 yards accurately from his knees.

Ironically, I think Sanchez would be a great backup for them if they could work out something with that demented contract.

At this point, simply eating it as dead money may make the most sense just to get him out of here and back to the West Coast where he belongs.

Arizona could possibly inquire as well, provided some miracle is worked out by the CPA Tannenbaum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He just signed a 3 year 24 mil contract in March. I would think that they would want at least a mid to late 1st
    I think they can cut him after this year for a minimal cap hit as the guaranteed money was all loaded onto this year.

At least that's what every Niner fan I'm friends with has told me and is hoping they do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Alex Smith=Mark Sanchez. Both are nothing more than game managers, who can't carry a team when needed to.Only reason Smith looks better to some than Sanchez is that he's had the benefit of Harbough, where Sanchez has been saddled with Cavanaugh and Rex.
    LOL!! Mark Sanchez... a game manager!? Game Managers are normally short on physical ability and long some combination on smarts, leadership, or accuracy. Sanchez has none of the attributes of a game manager. Game managers are charged with minimizing mistakes and the consequences that flow from mistakes. Sanchez actually does the opposite. He somehow "manages" to turn smaller mistakes into big game changing mistakes.

As I said before, Sanchez is the Anti-Franchise. He makes everyone around him a worse football player. The only thing he leads players to is underachievement.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Originally Posted by KR

Andy Reid needs the year off more than any coach since Vermiel in Philly. This guy has two more tragedy to deal with this year. Best case for the jets would be for him to be a qb consultant. Let him work with Sanchez next year while he takes a break, Similar to what Moore did. Reid gets to do Football Sunday shows. and Sanchez and him get to work together during the next year.
    Reid is likely to go home to SD - where he's from - and replace Norv Turner quite possibly.

Speaking of Reid, is that a real mustache or a California Car Duster?

No way he gets a tv gig with that annoying thing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post.

I'm really hoping we switch to the 4-3 and get rid of pace, Scott, and Harris. We have some really nice young dlineman in coples, wilkerson, and ellis that could thrive there. Davis old be a nice MLB in a 4-3 as he has some decent coverage ability.

Mangini was our best coach since parcels. He brought in tons of talent and surely our next coach will be a hard ass. His great draft picks are what led Rex to winning playoff games.
    I think you'll get 2 of your 3 wishes. I doubt Harris is gone though. He's too pricey to cut or trade. His next year's salary is friggin $11 mil and its basically guaranteed.

Plus, he's still a viable MLB (albeit not the prototype speed guy that everyone is now looking for) - he's just vastly overpaid. I'd like to think that he can revert to being at least an above average football player and contribute positively.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll get 2 of your 3 wishes. I doubt Harris is gone though. He's too pricey to cut or trade. His next year's salary is friggin $11 mil and its basically guaranteed.

Plus, he's still a viable MLB (albeit not the prototype speed guy that everyone is now looking for) - he's just vastly overpaid. I'd like to think that he can revert to being at least an above average football player and contribute positively.
    Maybe Harris at SLB in the 4-3? Davis has the speed (and hopefully the ability) to play in the middle and then the Jets just need to fill the WLB position in the offseason.

Guess the issue then would be whether or not Harris can effectively set the edge on running plays, and his coverage skills would be tested even further.