Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top ten Jets thoughts of the week.

Top ten Jets thoughts of the week.

1. While Sparano has done a better job with the running game then Schotty the confusion and running the play clock to 1 every play is mind boggling. The defense has a jump start on the play which is huge. The good QB's get to the line early and get a chance to see the blitzers, mike, and ifits zone or man. This is a poorly run unit.

2. Some team out there is going to trade a late round pick for Mark Sanchez this offseason alleviating us from much of his contracts dead money. Why? because someone out there is going to make excuses for him(like most of you) and thinks all he needs is a change of scenery.

3. Jimmy Johnson had mentioned the biggest coaching tool one could ever have is fear. Fear that a player could lose his job. While Rex has many of the makings of a great coach there is no competition for jobs, no fear. He tried to use love and compliments and it went no where. Its his fatal flaw. Mangini and Belichek had those guys afraid every week of losing their job.

4. Mike T's Fatal flaw has been going for the homerun and passing on depth. When you hit its great but there are so many bust in the NFL, and with injuries a recipe for disaster.

5. With Westoff leaving, a NY superbowl soon and all of the above we are looking at the rare case of the entire coaching staff and front office being fired at the end of the season.

6. I love what Philbin is doing in Miami. This week he benched Reggie bush after a fumble. He benched Incognito for a personal Foul. If your a coach you need to make it clear you are not their friend, and messing up is not tolerated. That teams future is brighter then ours right now.

7. Watching Scott Pioli in Kansas City. Mangini here. Crennel in Cleveland. Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh before and after Ben. Bill Belichek before and after Brady. People need to get it in their head. You simply do not win in the NFL unless you have a good qb. Sure you may sneak into the playoffs one year, but unless you get a QB you will not hve success. Shannahan knows this and was willing to trade many picks for one. He gets it.

8. Who do we hire for HC? Someone who gets it. The Steelers didnt win a superbowl until they got big ben with Cowher. Cowher left, and what happened? They won another Superbowl. It wasnt Cowher people. Its was Big Ben.

9. Our Cap. Bad News first: Mark Sanchez and Holmes contract are horrible. Our best scenerio is trading them for 6/7th round picks to take some of the burden off our cap. Ok now the good news> We are in really amazing shape next year and the year after besides those two deals.

10. Heres the big question for you guys. The NY Jets are very similar to the 2011 Broncos. People were going to lose jobs there and Tebow saved their season. The question for you people is : Do you root for Tebow to win, and salvage the season or do you root for him to lose and we clean house including Sanchez, the front office and coaching staff? And let's not make this a tebow vs McElroy debate. Either guy succeeding could save Rex and tannys job. So do u root for our team, for mediocrity, a 8-8 record. Or do u want to clean house

Extra Points.
    1- With the emergence of Kopernick I wonder if Alex Smith will be available in the offseason. Alex Smith has improved so much. He completes everything, and doesnt turn the ball over. Its seems like he may be a late bloomer and a guy that still has upside. Him and Matt Flynn are interesting guys to look at.

2-Dustin Kellers season of injurys and poor stats may lower his contract demands.

3-Irvin looks pretty good in spurts for Seattle. Very Similar to Maybin. Maybin is going to be super cheap this offseason and all I could hope for is our new coach to sign himand use him on 3rd downs. And ofcourse move to the 4-3.

4-Andy Reid. Great talent evalutor, and the bill cowher of this decade but people are hating on him at this time. He would be a great guy to target.
    Last edited by KR; 11-13-2012 at 01:19 AM.

McElroy > Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    McElroy > Tebow
    Certainly possible, but it's pretty clear tebow will get the first shot. But that's not the point of this topic(save that for the other 10 McElroy topics). The point here is do you want McElroy or tebow to save the jobs of Rex and tanny?
    Last edited by KR; 11-13-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    6. I love what Philbin is doing in Miami. This week he benched Reggie bush after a fumble. He benched Incognito for a personal Foul. If your a coach you need to make it clear you are not their friend, and messing up is not tolerated. That teams future is brighter then ours right now.
    They lost by 34 points at home to a 3-6 Titans team. They may have a brighter future as Tannehill looks like he could develop into a starter for a long time, but not sure this is the right week to hold up a team that lost by 34 points as an example. Maybe they only lose by 27 if he doesn't bench Bush or Incognito?

9. Our Cap. Bad News first: Mark Sanchez and Holmes contract are horrible. Our best scenerio is trading them for 6/7th round picks to take some of the burden off our cap. Ok now the good news> We are in really amazing shape next year and the year after besides those two deals.
    What Revis scenario or contract situation do you factor into your expectation of an amazing cap situation over the next two years for the Jets? Is he here?

2. Some team out there is going to trade a late round pick for Mark Sanchez this offseason alleviating us from much of his contracts dead money. Why? because someone out there is going to make excuses for him(like most of you) and thinks all he needs is a change of scenery.

This has no chance in hell of happening. Yes teams take flyers on players, but not when those players are guaranteed 17 mill over the next two years.

4. Mike T's Fatal flaw has been going for the homerun and passing on depth. When you hit its great but there are so many bust in the NFL, and with injuries a recipe for disaster.

His flaw is that he has the wrong help in evaluating talent and the back loading of contracts.

Agreed, especialy with the extra 2,3 and 4th rd choices this year.

8. Who do we hire for HC? Someone who gets it. The Steelers didnt win a superbowl until they got big ben with Cowher. Cowher left, and what happened? They won another Superbowl. It wasnt Cowher people. Its was Big Ben.

And great qbs languished for years as teams could not surround them with talent.

Trading them causes a larger cap hit next year, thank keeping them.Next year the jets are in a hard place. in 2014 cap wise they are all set.
    But who will be on the team.

10. Heres the big question for you guys. The NY Jets are very similar to the 2011 Broncos. People were going to lose jobs there and Tebow saved their season. The question for you people is : Do you root for Tebow to win, and salvage the season or do you root for him to lose and we clean house including Sanchez, the front office and coaching staff? And let's not make this a tebow vs McElroy debate. Either guy succeeding could save Rex and tannys job. So do u root for our team, for mediocrity, a 8-8 record. Or do u want to clean house

Again, the premise that Sanchez could be gone, by any means short of a bullet is dreamlike.

Extra Points.
    1- With the emergence of Kopernick I wonder if Alex Smith will be available in the offseason. Alex Smith has improved so much. He completes everything, and doesnt turn the ball over. Its seems like he may be a late bloomer and a guy that still has upside. Him and Matt Flynn are interesting guys to look at.

You mean to the teams who are the losers of the Mark Sanchez sweepstakes?

2-Dustin Kellers season of injurys and poor stats may lower his contract demands.

Without a shadow of a doubt. At the very least while the money may still be high, it will be in incentives, similar to Landry.

4-Andy Reid. Great talent evalutor, and the bill cowher of this decade but people are hating on him at this time. He would be a great guy to target.[/QUOTE]

Andy Reid needs the year off more than any coach since Vermiel in Philly. This guy has two more tragedy to deal with this year. Best case for the jets would be for him to be a qb consultant. Let him work with Sanchez next year while he takes a break, Similar to what Moore did. Reid gets to do Football Sunday shows. and Sanchez and him get to work together during the next year.
    Last edited by patman; 11-13-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    McElroy > Tebow
    Tebow > McElroy

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Do you root for Tebow to win, and salvage the season or do you root for him to lose and we clean house including Sanchez, the front office and coaching staff?
    Clean house. I dont want any moral victories, or Tebow feel good stories to get us to 6-10....this fish stinks from the head down.

I dont like this circus, never did... I resent as a fan having to defend an embarrassing amateur hour organization...

Get Tanny out of the GM spot, get a GM who will not be pressured into making "big splash" acquisitions by the owner, get a new coach who isnt an attention seeking buffoon, knows all three phases of the game, knows how to instill discipline and a thirst to win...take a chance on a guy like McElroy, someone who had everything to gain by performing without guaranteed money looming in the back of his mind as a safety net...

Give CHARACTER its due as an intangible in the locker room.

Give me something to root for, even if the team struggles.

I cant root for this organization as presently constituted...from the top down.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Clean house. I dont want any moral victories, or Tebow feel good stories to get us to 6-10....this fish stinks from the head down.

I dont like this circus, never did... I resent as a fan having to defend an embarrassing amateur hour organization...

Get Tanny out of the GM spot, get a GM who will not be pressured into making "big splash" acquisitions by the owner, get a new coach who isnt an attention seeking buffoon, knows all three phases of the game, knows how to instill discipline and a thirst to win...take a chance on a guy like McElroy, someone who had everything to gain by performing without guaranteed money looming in the back of his mind as a safety net...

-
    This!.......... Thanks 32, one of the best posters on the board!

The team was built more on sizzle than steak. Once the credit limit was reached it then seemed Rex ran out of ideas and Tanny was no longer a cap genius.

But do you want to stradle a new HC with this cap mess? I think having a Polian, Marty or the like come in and help with the draft. Hell just trade down a few times in the 1st and pick up some future picks. In 2014 the jets will be able to crawl out from under Sanchez and Holmes contracts, have a full load of picks plus the picks you picked up by trading down.

Give Gruden or Cowher a clean slate with a team with extra picks and in the NY market they may jump. If you ask them to come in now, the jets are over the cap with too many FA. Let Rex and Tanny clean up the mess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    While I agree almost whole hearted, I struggle with this....

How was our draft so superior under Mangini? this team, from a player standpoint may have been at an All time high in 2009 2010? Mangini guys except Mark and Greene.

Woody ran Mangini out on a rail..... The 2008 team was 8 and 3. Thatbteam was a B short of a real team.

NEVER thought I would want Mangini back as head coach...I think I would.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

This has no chance in hell of happening. Yes teams take flyers on players, but not when those players are guaranteed 17 mill over the next two years.

No, that's not right. His salary guarantee for next year is $8.75M (including bonus). After that he can be cut with no problems. So it's not a huge burden on the other team.

See http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11085560 and http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html.

I believe trading him will create about $8M in dead money (the $17M you hear is what happens if he's cut) - but we'll save $8.75M in salary - so it will be a slight cap savings.

Personally, I think we *could* trade him. I suspect there will be teams that are willing to take a 1 year $9M flyer on a QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good post but:

You state that you need a great qb to win and then say it would be a great idea to get Alex Smith.

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh and no team on the planet would trade for mark sanchez. He sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Oh and no team on the planet would trade for mark sanchez. He sucks.
    Someone would for a late pick, but they'd be stupid.

Also, no team would take on his contract for the level of play he'd give them in return.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    What Revis scenario or contract situation do you factor into your expectation of an amazing cap situation over the next two years for the Jets? Is he here?
    Revis is on the books this year for $8m, even if they extend him his salary probably won't exceed $15m per annum. The Jets have Pace, Scott, Sanchez, Moore & Holmes that are either coming off the books or they can release with a huge upside on the cap. Those 5 players represent 34% of the entire cap.

My first answer is of course no. But I'll play devil's advocate here:

What if a different QB came in (preferably McElroy)...and the offense actually improved? What if the team started converting 3rd downs? What if Hill suddenly started getting looks and catching 4/5 passes per game? What if the running game improved as a result of more sustained drives?

95% of the board realizes that Mark Sanchez is a dud, and even if he gets it together elsewhere he'll never succeed in NY. If the QB is as big a problem as we think it is, part of me would actually want to see GMac come in an improve the offensive production.

It would mean that the holes aren't as glaring as they appear to be right now. There's nothing to get excited about on offense - nothing. But if it really is on the signal caller, then if we see some increased efficiency we at least know that getting a new guy under center is the primary focus of the offseason. To me, that would be worth a few extra wins, and I don't think Tanny & Rex should lose their jobs if the reason they look like bums right now is #6.

Just a thought - I do realize it's highly unlikely that either of these backups would fare any better with this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Good post but:

You state that you need a great qb to win and then say it would be a great idea to get Alex Smith.
    Alex Smith=Mark Sanchez. Both are nothing more than game managers, who can't carry a team when needed to.Only reason Smith looks better to some than Sanchez is that he's had the benefit of Harbough, where Sanchez has been saddled with Cavanaugh and Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    No, that's not right. His salary guarantee for next year is $8.75M (including bonus). After that he can be cut with no problems. So it's not a huge burden on the other team.

See http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11085560 and http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html.

I believe trading him will create about $8M in dead money (the $17M you hear is what happens if he's cut) - but we'll save $8.75M in salary - so it will be a slight cap savings.

Personally, I think we *could* trade him. I suspect there will be teams that are willing to take a 1 year $9M flyer on a QB.
    No he has a 4.5mill guarantee on his 2014 salary also. There is no team that will pay him 8.75 next year. They guy has stunk for two years. Would a team give him a shot if he was a FA? Sure but for a one year 2 mil contract.

How many teams do you think are going to be 8.5 mill under the cap next year and want to take a chance on him?

I am sorry but I can not think of a more unlikely trade happening on the jets.

I rather give Garrard or Campbell a shot at starting over Sanchez. Hell even Hoyer

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Lost in the Sanchez and Holmes debacle is how bad a deal David Harris's is. I can understand, somewhat, the overpaying of Sanchez and even Holmes. The Jets felt that they were somewhat desperate at those positions and really needed to get something for the Offense.

But with Harris, they seemed to have drastically overpaid a guy who wasn't demanding to be overpaid and came up with a deal that they can't really get out of until it expires. And Harris, more than anyone I think, has regressed tremendously. Not sure if he's hurt, fat or what, but he whiffed on some big tackles this week and its pretty much the same song every week.

At least with Sanchez, the team took a risk of re-signing him to a deal where, if he performed, he would be a bargain. Didn't like it, but I at least understood it. Harris got more than the top LBs out there based on lower performance and lower projections. Mangold and D'Brick deserved what they got - Harris? Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    While I agree almost whole hearted, I struggle with this....

How was our draft so superior under Mangini? this team, from a player standpoint may have been at an All time high in 2009 2010? Mangini guys except Mark and Greene.

Woody ran Mangini out on a rail..... The 2008 team was 8 and 3. Thatbteam was a B short of a real team.

NEVER thought I would want Mangini back as head coach...I think I would.
    I always thought Mangini got somewhat of a bum rap. Problem is, he had the charisma of a pencil, but he was stuck with an aging QB with a hurt arm and he was powerless to bench him. That team, coming off wins at TN and NE, was poised for something special. Its a shame it went down the way it did.

Jets Insider VIP
    And Harris, more than anyone I think, has regressed tremendously.
    I agree. He is nothing special at all anymore.