Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Norv Turner as OC?

How about Norv Turner as OC?

Unless SD goes on a sick run he likely will be fired. The other assumption is no matter how poorly the jets finish (we are looking at 4-12, 5-11 at best IMO) our head buffoon, rex, will still be back.

Turner's credentials as an OC are unquestioned. Rex is borderline retarded when it comes to offense, so we really need a guy who knows his sh#t and can tell the buffoon to f#ck off and let him run the show. Tony Morono is just another clueless meathead, maybe he can go back to o-line or just be fired.

I'm just not sure turner would want to be a part of the circus but maybe woody can throw a lot of money at him??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Unless SD goes on a sick run he likely will be fired. The other assumption is no matter how poorly the jets finish (we are looking at 4-12, 5-11 at best IMO) our head buffoon, rex, will still be back.

Turner's credentials as an OC are unquestioned. Rex is borderline retarded when it comes to offense, so we really need a guy who knows his sh#t and can tell the buffoon to f#ck off and let him run the show. Tony Morono is just another clueless meathead, maybe he can go back to o-line or just be fired.

I'm just not sure turner would want to be a part of the circus but maybe woody can throw a lot of money at him??
    If Sparano is the only one who departs, I'd take it. BUT, I want deeper changes for this team.

No OC, not even a Bill Walsh or Sean Payton could make this offense any good. Lousy rb's, an oline that is getting worse, bad receviers and the worst starting QB in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sparano is not getting fired after one year. Do you not remember schotty was here forever and he was worse then sparano.

The only way sparano is gone is if tanny and rex are gone too.

Based on whose going to be available. I would build a staff like this:

Norv Turner as OC
    Steve Fairchild as Asst HC/QBs
    Charlie Joiner as WR Coach
    George Warhop as OL Coach
    Gary Brown as RB Coach
    Tom Melvin as TE Coach

Keith Butler as DC
    Karl Dunbar as DL Coach
    Gary Gibbs as LB Coach
    Emmit Thomas as Secondary Coach

Now all we need is a real HC

I think that Sparano is going to be fired after this season.

If Rex signals that he's not open to change, he might go as well.

From Rex's first day, this team needed an OC who had deep experience in the league, was from Rex's age cohort (or older), and who wasn't afraid to tell Rex to "f*ck off" when it comes tot he offense. Having Bill Callahan around was a plus, even though he was working under Schotty. Sparano is atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I think that Sparano is going to be fired after this season.

If Rex signals that he's not open to change, he might go as well.

From Rex's first day, this team needed an OC who had deep experience in the league, was from Rex's age cohort (or older), and who wasn't afraid to tell Rex to "f*ck off" when it comes tot he offense. Having Bill Callahan around was a plus, even though he was working under Schotty. Sparano is atrocious.
    Sparano is not atrocious. The talent he has to work with is atrocious. His QB, RBs, Receivers and O-Line are a joke. Outside of Mangold, Ferguson, and maybe Keller, there is no one on that offense who would start on any other team.

While I dont think Sparano is a great OC, he is decent. We need to stop blaming the OC and take a hard look at the lack of talent on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Sparano is not atrocious. The talent he has to work with is atrocious. His QB, RBs, Receivers and O-Line are a joke. Outside of Mangold, Ferguson, and maybe Keller, there is no one on that offense who would start on any other team.

While I dont think Sparano is a great OC, he is decent. We need to stop blaming the OC and take a hard look at the lack of talent on offense.
    Come on man, his playcalling in the Seattle game was atrocious and told me all I need to know. Yanking Mark and putting in Tebow, then burning timeouts. Playing for field goals instead of td's resulting from going for the risky passes when the running game was in ascendancy and the Jets have the ball on the 1. Mark crumbles from all the self inflicted pressure.

Turner has to be an improvement would even love to have Jeff Fisher instead of Sparano.

Not worth changing the system yet again...

does anyone know the actual number of timeouts we've wasted this year on the sanchez/tebow substitution package? I don't know the number, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in the 30 years I've been watching this sport.

Rex said publicly last year that Norv did a bad job in SD. Why the hell do you think he would want to work for Rex?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Not worth changing the system yet again...
    What diff does it make, 1/2 the offense are FA anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Come on man, his playcalling in the Seattle game was atrocious and told me all I need to know. Yanking Mark and putting in Tebow, then burning timeouts. Playing for field goals instead of td's resulting from going for the risky passes when the running game was in ascendancy and the Jets have the ball on the 1. Mark crumbles from all the self inflicted pressure.

Turner has to be an improvement would even love to have Jeff Fisher instead of Sparano.
    I agree Turner would be an improvement.
    BUT, the problem with the offense is the lack of talent not the coaching. Even Turner would have a tough time with this group of losers.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Rex said publicly last year that Norv did a bad job in SD. Why the hell do you think he would want to work for Rex?
    Who said he would be working for Rex?
    Rex is part of the problem not the solution.
    Hell Id take back Mangini if he had Norv as the OC over Rex any day.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Who said he would be working for Rex?
    Rex is part of the problem not the solution.
    Hell Id take back Mangini if he had Norv as the OC over Rex any day.
    That was the scenario that the OP laid out, and what I responded to.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What diff does it make, 1/2 the offense are FA anyway.
    The best teams are the best teams partly because of continuity. Have to keep it... We have a good system in place, stick with it. New England and a couple of other teams use the same damn thing.

Keep trying to change **** and the team will struggle for years. Just stick with things a bit and leave it alone. In terms of the coaches and executives anyway.

Parcells is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he had plenty of bad stretches throughout his career.

Hall Of Fame
    Serious question.

What makes you guys think that he would come here? He will probably interview for some HC jobs and if those don't pan out I am sure there are much better OC opportunities than the Jets.

Would he work for Rex after how Rex insulted him last year? Would he want to be the OC and work for what will likely be a first time HC IF Rex is canned?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Serious question.

What makes you guys think that he would come here? He will probably interview for some HC jobs and if those don't pan out I am sure there are much better OC opportunities than the Jets.

Would he work for Rex after how Rex insulted him last year? Would he want to be the OC and work for what will likely be a first time HC IF Rex is canned?
    Earlier in the thread I said the same thing regarding Rex.

I don't think he gets another HC opportunity after three shots with the skins, raiders and chargers. At 60 I don't know if he still wants the pressure and may return to being a highly paid OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No OC, not even a Bill Walsh or Sean Payton could make this offense any good. Lousy rb's, an oline that is getting worse, bad receviers and the worst starting QB in the league.
    Sorry...I disagree. Good coaching can improve a teams performance. I'm not saying the Jets start avg'ing 40 points a game but competent coaching find ways to instill discipline, teach, develop and put their players in position to succeed

All Pro
    The three headed monster has to go. Tanny,Rex and Sanchez !!