Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has a Team ever?

Has a Team ever?

Rehired a guy they fired as a head coach?
    I know Billy Martin in baseball but why is it not feasable in Football?

Thinking about Mangini & having Norv brought in for the offense is not a bad idea.
    Screw Cowher, like people have said before Mike Tomlin won a bowl with Big Ben too.
    I like Manginis demeanor & the way he handles the press here in NY.
    Tanny can go back to capology.
    Bring in that hardazz Polian to run things at the top, I think Mangini can work well with others.
    It would be cool to see how much someone learns after the fact.
    He did beat the Pats in New England & got them to essentially put in a whole new turf surface.
    I'd love to give him a chance at revenge while Brady gets older & older.
    Be pretty cool.

George Allen was fired by Los Angeles Rams owner Dan Reeves after the 1968 season. Personal and professional reasons were given for Allen's dismissal. Allen had taken a dismal team, one that had seven consecutive losing seasons (1959-1965) prior to his arrival and turned it into a 10-3-1 team in 1968, this after having an 11-1-2 season in 1967. The Rams' players, almost to a man, revolted and said they would request a trade or retire if Allen were not rehired. Reeves had no choice but to cave to the players' demands and signed Allen to a two year contract, 12 days after firing him, for the 1969 and 1970 seasons. Although the Rams went 11-3 in 1969 and 9-4-1 in 1970, Reeves again fired Allen at the end of the contract.

Art Shell in Oakland. That sure worked out well.

If Rex is canned, I'd rather go unknown than go with Mangini, who failed not only with us but also with another team too.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Art Shell in Oakland. That sure worked out well.

If Rex is canned, I'd rather go unknown than go with Mangini, who failed not only with us but also with another team too.
    I dont think Mangini was given a fair chance with the Jets. He only had 3 seasons and finished 10-6, 4-12, and 9-7. 2 out of 3 seasons were winning seasons, how do you call that a failure? Especially with this team's history. Not to mentioned his last year Woody forced a 40 year old has been QB down his throat.

In Cleveland he had the worst talent in the world and still kept the team competitive in most games.

I dont know if Mangini will ever be a great HC,but the guy is smart as hell and knows the game inside out. If he cant coach, he certainly deserves a chance as a front office guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I dont think Mangini was given a fair chance with the Jets. He only had 3 seasons and finished 10-6, 4-12, and 9-7. 2 out of 3 seasons were winning seasons, how do you call that a failure? Especially with this team's history. Not to mentioned his last year Woody forced a 40 year old has been QB down his throat.

In Cleveland he had the worst talent in the world and still kept the team competitive in most games.

I dont know if Mangini will ever be a great HC,but the guy is smart as hell and knows the game inside out. If he cant coach, he certainly deserves a chance as a front office guy.
    Agreed. Just not with the Jets.

God no...not Mangini. I don't think I could watch that rush 2 drop 8 into coverage bull**** again. We lost so many games because Mangini's defenses weren't aggressive enough and played scared.

I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder. There are two reasons to not go backwards with Mangini:

1. Those teams really weren't all that good. Outside of a surprising win in '06 against the Pats and an excellent five-game stretch in the middle of '08, those teams were notorious for not showing up. Favre played a huge role in the collapse of '08, but it wasn't just on the QB. If it wasn't for a miracle fumble return from Ellis against Buffalo, that team would have dropped five straight to end the season.

2. Mangini might have bought the groceries, but look at what Rex did with them. He took the same group that had just basically lost its last five games, added Bart Scott and turned it into a #1 defense. Can you really picture Mangini making that kind of impact on an existing roster?

The drafting was definitely better, but he's a little overrated there as well. D'Brick, Mangold and Revis were great picks. But Mangini also brought in Kellen Clemens, Erik Smith, Vernon Gholston, and the Boar Hunter in early rounds. And unless you think David Harris was ruined by Rex, that's another player who isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

No more retreads.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

Thinking about Mangini & having Norv brought in for the offense is not a bad idea.
    Screw Cowher, like people have said before Mike Tomlin won a bowl with Big Ben too.
    Bring in that hardazz Polian to run things at the top, I think Mangini can work well with others.
    He did beat the Pats in New England & got them to essentially put in a whole new turf surface.
    Be pretty cool.
    NOT sure it will or should happen BUT for certain..

manginis drafts were superior to REX
    Mangini was not responsible fornthe 2008 drop off
    Manginin certainly would have won more than 9 games in 2009

if it were up for vote...I'd go back to Mangini ifnitbwere between him , REX and MOST other candidates. That scares me. BUT he was smart and drafted well.

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't think Mangini should have been fired. Actually he wasn't fired, he was assassinated. Woody had PSLs to sell. Mangini is nowhere near the salesman Rex is. They had a built-in excuse to make a change with the 2008 collapse, meanwhile it was all Favre's fault which in turn was Woody and Tanny's fault.

Clearly he was flawed as a coach. But he was a young coach and probably was not ready. I think his time in the media has helped him how to learn to work with people. If he ever gets another opportunity I think he would do well IF he ever had a QB. That said, there is no chance he ever returns.

We went from one extreme to another with Mangini and Rex. In a lot of ways Rex is worse than Mangini. At least Mangini wasn't delusional. It is painfully obvious that the talent on this team has eroded under Rex's watch. Rex won with Mangini's teams in 2009 and 2010. And the drafts have gotten worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4683648]
    We went from one extreme to another with Mangini and Rex. In a lot of ways Rex is worse than Mangini. At least Mangini wasn't delusional. It is painfully obvious that the talent on this team has eroded under Rex's watch. Rex won with Mangini's teams in 2009 and 2010. And the drafts have gotten worse.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmm this 100%

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Good lord. Some of the threads here me me cringe.

Mangini?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post

Mangini?

Really?
    lol

I had the same feeling.

Mangini hasn't been fired long enough to be considered a retread yet.

The Jets went 9-7 in his final year because Brett Favre had the stature to tell Brian Schottenheimer to shut up and take a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

Be pretty cool.
    To be honest, assuming the Jets ended up firing Rex Ryan I'd love to see him stay on DC. Just like with Tanny, I don't want to see him fired if at all possible. The guy was a great numbers cruncher.

I know it would never happen, but it would be nice if both guys could accept their demotions in stride.

Think Mangini wants to come back and work for this clown of an owner again?

Rookie

Mangini?

Really?
    Just "some" of the threads?

All League
    Hahahahaha oh god people are getting delusional now

Mangini? Really? Lol

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    Just "some" of the threads?
    "Most" is probably more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    To be honest, assuming the Jets ended up firing Rex Ryan I'd love to see him stay on DC. Just like with Tanny, I don't want to see him fired if at all possible. The guy was a great numbers cruncher.

I know it would never happen, but it would be nice if both guys could accept their demotions in stride.
    So there you go... Put Mangini in Tanny's job, with Tanny as his assistant number cruncher. Rex goes to PR and we somehow find a real coach.

Mangini?

Really?
    I want Herm and Ted Cotrell back.