Thread: A little something to lift our spirits ...

A little something to lift our spirits ...

OK, so it looks like we're entering into another Kotite-ian era with this team and it seems like all hope is lost. But Profootball Focus--which everyone on this board should take a look at occasionally--gives us a few rays of sunlight to bask in:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...hawks-week-10/

Some of the takeaways:

"It’s quite impressive that after years of great play from a fairly unique player in the shape of Shaun Ellis, the Jets have somehow managed to replace him with a remarkably Shaun Ellis-esque player in Muhammad Wilkerson (+4.8). After filling out a little since coming into the league, Wilkerson is even built exactly like Ellis and has his predecessor’s knack for making plays all day long. Wilkerson notched a hit and a hurry in this game, but it was his work in the run game that stood out, as he was constantly finding ways to slip off blocks and wreak havoc at or around the line of scrimmage."

Also, the offensive line graded out extremely well and had one of their best games of the season, which is a good thing for the line, but yet another indictment of Sanchez. I get their premium stats, so I can tell you Matt Slauson actually had the highest grade among the offensive lineman, followed by Brick.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    OK, so it looks like we're entering into another Kotite-ian era with this team and it seems like all hope is lost. But Profootball Focus--which everyone on this board should take a look at occasionally--gives us a few rays of sunlight to bask in:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...hawks-week-10/

Some of the takeaways:

"Itís quite impressive that after years of great play from a fairly unique player in the shape of Shaun Ellis, the Jets have somehow managed to replace him with a remarkably Shaun Ellis-esque player in Muhammad Wilkerson (+4.8). After filling out a little since coming into the league, Wilkerson is even built exactly like Ellis and has his predecessorís knack for making plays all day long. Wilkerson notched a hit and a hurry in this game, but it was his work in the run game that stood out, as he was constantly finding ways to slip off blocks and wreak havoc at or around the line of scrimmage."

Also, the offensive line graded out extremely well and had one of their best games of the season, which is a good thing for the line, but yet another indictment of Sanchez. I get their premium stats, so I can tell you Matt Slauson actually had the highest grade among the offensive lineman, followed by Brick.
    Good stuff. Wilkerson was everywhere and I thought the o-line did a great job vs a very good pass rushing team so it's always nice to see stats back up your eyes. But, as you said, that makes it even worse for Marky mark.

These guys are still being wasted to some extent in the 3-4 scheme. The fact that they make plays when it seems their #1 mandate is to hold the line and control the run is a testament.

I want to see Wilkerson and Coples in a scheme where they can have more freedom to get after the QB.

Veteran
    I really thought this was going to be a hot chicks thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    These guys are still being wasted to some extent in the 3-4 scheme. The fact that they make plays when it seems their #1 mandate is to hold the line and control the run is a testament.

I want to see Wilkerson and Coples in a scheme where they can have more freedom to get after the QB.
    They are not being wasted in a 3-4. The problem is we have no linebackers who are capable of taking advantage of the young solid 3-4 D-lineman we have to make the plays that 3-4 LBers are expected to make. Replace our OLBs with Conner Barwin and one of the many stud pass rushers coming out in the 1st RD in the upcomming draft and you will see just how good our d-line is

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    They are not being wasted in a 3-4. The problem is we have no linebackers who are capable of taking advantage of the young solid 3-4 D-lineman we have to make the plays that 3-4 LBers are expected to make. Replace our OLBs with Conner Barwin and one of the many stud pass rushers coming out in the 1st RD in the upcomming draft and you will see just how good our d-line is
    Lets put Jason pierre paul in the jets 3-4 D and see if his overall talents are wasted or not. We draft a pass rusher in Coples and then say we have to get olbs to get a pass rush. Sorry, both these guys could make more plays in a 4-3 either from Dt or DE.

Lets put Jason pierre paul in the jets 3-4 D and see if his overall talents are wasted or not. We draft a pass rusher in Coples and then say we have to get olbs to get a pass rush. Sorry, both these guys could make more plays in a 4-3 either from Dt or DE.
    Pierre Paul would be fine... Guys are still rushing the passer on passing downs. The difference between the 3-4 and 4-3 is so minimal when it comes to that.

It's almost like the clowns who tried to say that Gholston's failure had anything to do with a system change.

Still comes down to rushing the passer from a set position because on every passing down, there is essentially 4 down linemen. In Coples and Wilkerson's case, they are rushing from the inside.

How did Coples and Demario Davis grade out?

At this point all we have to care about is the play of our young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    How did Coples and Demario Davis grade out?

At this point all we have to care about is the play of our young guys.
    Davis was at the bottom of the ratings and Coples was near the bottom.

For the season, though, Coples has had decent ratings from PFF and was given an honorable mention for top rookie defensive lineman. But his past two games have been poor, which may be more a reflection of the general morale of the team than his prospects as a player. How could any rookie possibly grow and thrive in this mess?

We drafted a DE/DT. There is no position called "pass rusher".
    In a 3-4 the pass rush comes from the LBs. I and others on this site have been screaming for this team to get some LBs. We dont have any. JPP would be very effective in our 3-4...as an OLB

Coples has played well in his opportunities. Wilkerson is really developing into a fine player. You dont measure this in sacks. Look at the plays they make. Could they make more "impact" in a 4-3 alignment? possibly. But we then need speed edge rushers (which we dont have) and aside from Davis, none of our LBs are speedy/athletic enough to play a 4-3.

The D-Linemen we have are better suited for a 3-4. When/if we ever upgrade our LB unit, you will see the results you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    Davis was at the bottom of the ratings and Coples was near the bottom.

For the season, though, Coples has had decent ratings from PFF and was given an honorable mention for top rookie defensive lineman. But his past two games have been poor, which may be more a reflection of the general morale of the team than his prospects as a player. How could any rookie possibly grow and thrive in this mess?
    Based on his senior year in college, I'd think that Coples more than anyone will have trouble when the team is in a bad situation.

Davis with all his "leadership skills" should be able to cope however. Hopefully he's just going through learning pains.

All League
    Mo has been great this year. One of the few bright spots.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    I really thought this was going to be a hot chicks thread...
    me too!

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    We drafted a DE/DT. There is no position called "pass rusher".
    In a 3-4 the pass rush comes from the LBs. I and others on this site have been screaming for this team to get some LBs. We dont have any. JPP would be very effective in our 3-4...as an OLB

Coples has played well in his opportunities. Wilkerson is really developing into a fine player. You dont measure this in sacks. Look at the plays they make. Could they make more "impact" in a 4-3 alignment? possibly. But we then need speed edge rushers (which we dont have) and aside from Davis, none of our LBs are speedy/athletic enough to play a 4-3.

The D-Linemen we have are better suited for a 3-4. When/if we ever upgrade our LB unit, you will see the results you are looking for.
    Yes there is a position called 'pass rusher' if that is a players prime skill and if your team is sadly lacking in that area you put the players in the best position to do that. Why do you think that during the time leading up to the draft players are looked at as fitting a 3-4 or a 4-3? In a 3-4 the DE's #1 priority is to control the line and make sure the run gets stopped. Putting your skilled rushers in a scheme where they are not allowed to get after the QB is faulty.

Hall Of Fame
    If only we can draft someone to replace John Abraham.