Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jets Cut Aaron Maybin

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    We brought him because we have NO ONE ELSE...between poor player development, poor drafts, we have no one.

Get Mangini involved in the draft.
    The LB's are due to bad drafts. Aside from Gholston, what other LB's have we drafted to develop.

Of course our OLBs our worse since Rex took over. They were 28, now they are 31. They aren't going to get faster or gain quickness. Same with Bart Scott, he isn't a fundamentally worse player, he is a physically worse player, and that's age, not coaching.

I don't have a huge problem with the coaching on D, I have a problem with the talent on D. I have have a problem with EVERYTHING on the offense.

Also, the D was great when the offense led the league in rushing and was top 5 in TOP. Now the offense leads the league in 3 and outs, the D is always out there, the other team gets 4 more posessions a game, and our D wears out and gets frustrated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    There was nothing to develop with Maybin, he is just a speed guy who bulked up and lost 1/2 a step. Most of his sacks were effort plays where he shot by the QB, turned around, and got back to him.
    Coples, definately improving as year goes on-Agree

Wilkerson looks better than last year-I mentioned that in my original post.

DeVito quietly had a great game last week, better than 3 years ago-Needs more consistency.

Pouha, till he hurt his back, not Rex's fault- Nothing special

Cro looks better here than when he was in SD-Best player on the Jets this year

As Green Bandit mentioned, I would add Kerley to the list as well. Can you imagine what he would do if the Jets had a pure #1 and #2 WR?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Over the last 3 years, is there any player on the Jets roster that has shown steady improvement year by year under Wrecks coaching?
    There are some, but the list is short.

How about coaches? Have any Jet coaches over-performed? Rex and Pettine's D's are worse every year, as is the O (which is pretty impressive). I guess the Special Teams have been consistent even though the Jets always seem to be looking for a new kicker and punter. And other than Dennis Thurman, I be hard-pressed to say that any assistant coach on the Jets would draw interest from another team for a coordinator position.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats could use Rex as their DC.

He'd get them to the SB with an attacking Defense

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Pats could use Rex as their DC.

He'd get them to the SB with an attacking Defense
    Wreck's post-game press conference as the Pats DC:

Reporter: Rex, your defense just gave up 51 points, what happened?

Rex: Well, we really had a great week of practice, I still saw some good things out there today, but we just have to keep improving.

Reporter: McCourty just got burned for 5 TD passes, is it time to make a change?

Rex: No, McCourty gives us the best chance to win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wreck's post-game press conference as the Pats DC:

Reporter: Rex, your defense just gave up 51 points, what happened?

Rex: Well, we really had a great week of practice, I still saw some good things out there today, but we just have to keep improving.

Reporter: McCourty just got burned for 5 TD passes, is it time to make a change?

Rex: No, McCourty gives us the best chance to win.
    insert..."you know" and "and that stuff" about 67 times and you would be right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    We brought him because we have NO ONE ELSE...between poor player development, poor drafts, we have no one.

Get Mangini involved in the draft.
    No argument there from me.

I was just saying I don't understand how you can rip the Jets for taking a flyer on Maybin, actually get production from a guy who is up there with Gholston when it comes to Busts, then cut him half way through the following year for going back to the status he was prior to the Jets bringing him in.

Kill Tannenbaum for not addressing OLB that can rush.

Kill Tannenbaum and Mangini for trading Abraham because he didn't fit Mangini's scheme.

Kill Mangini and Rex for not developing Gholston. Or Westerman, or any other player that they tried to develop.

But there is NO legit, reasonable reason to kill Tannenbaum and Rex for taking a flyer on a guy, get something out of him no one else could, and ultimately cut him when it's obvious he will not be able to sustain the limited success he had under Rex.

Just my opinion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Yeah there really aren't many to be honest.

You can add Devito and Pouha as a couple nobody's that Rex got quality production out of.

Wilkerson is definitely beasting as of late and improved. Coples, while still very early in his career, has shown improvement as well.

I also liked Trufant and Lankster as CBs and think they have improved from nothing to give something.

Kyle Wilson has been a disappointment overall, but has actually improved, although still not what we expected with a 1st rounder.

Cromartie without question has improved immensely under Rex. He and the DB coach have really got to him and turned him into a true student of the game, where as before he relied too much on his God Given abilities.

Sent from my LG-P999
    Good post, especially with your observations about Cromartie. He has played lights out this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Don't forget about Kerley
    Putting more thought into the topic, you could also add to the "improved during Rex tenure" list:

Joe McKnight: He was killed for coming into camp out of shape as a rookie, had HUGE shoes to fill in Leon (playmaker and fan favorite), and was criticized as a bad pick. A year later he is a top kick returner and has playmaking ability, unfortunately he doesn't get enough opportunities to display it on offense, IMO.

Matt Slauson: 6th rounder, replacing a Pro Bowler on the best line in the league at one point, and has done his job. He has been an effective run blocker and improved as a pass blocker......remember how many felt he was going to get Sanchez killed his first year?

Drew Coleman: A guy who almost every Jets fan wondered how he was still in the NFL, never mind on the Jets. He became a solid nickel/dime back and made keys plays like being in on the fumble/recovery in the Cleveland OT game in 2010 when Browns were threatening to score and a big sack on Brady in the playoff game to name a few of top of my head.

Dwight Lowery: Really started becoming a good safety for us. Made big plays like the Favre pick 6 to seal it against Minnesota on MNF and pick 6 on Cutler in Chicago both in 2010. It's a shame we traded him for next to nothing.

Brad Smith: Went from a wannabe Wideout to a big playmaker for us on Kick Returns, Punt and Kick coverage, and on Offense. Guy had some big ones, like the HUGE run week 17 of 2009 to start the beat down vs Cinncy, the throw out of WC to Cotchery in 09 AFCCG, kick return to start game at Pitt in 2010, etc.

Austin Howard: He isn't Wayne Hunter, and I hardly notice him. Good enough for me.

Darrelle Revis: He was very good his rookie year with Mangini, and obvious was going to improve.......but did anyone see him being the flat out best CB in football and possibly even best defender overall?

David Harris: Same as Revis, was very good as a rookie under Mangini and expected to improve, which he did. I don't know what the hell happened to him this year though.

Other notables: Ihedigbo, Cole, Eric Smith (yeah he sucks, Still how the hell did Rex get that performance out of him during the 2010 playoffs at Ind and NE? Came up big for us), Cumberland, McIntyre.

Now you can give me a million other reasons why these guys improved other than Rex being the HC. Just remember those same reasons could be used as to why the others DIDN'T improve under Rex as well.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 11-14-2012 at 04:07 PM.