Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: 10 ways to fix the 2013 cap issues and the Jets

  1. #21
    Very detailed plan, but the team you're putting together goes 6-10 at best next year. I don't see how the team improves at all. And why get rid of your best player this season (Cromartie) when he is playing his best football and still in his prime?

  2. #22
    First, I am not a troll, I am a fan of the league and My son has been a jets fans since Keyshon Johnson was signed believe me, I know about the jets and watch every game, either live or delayed.

    While you may get a 2nd, it would require Cro to rework his contract. Remember Davis was only making 1 mill a year for two years, Cro is scheduled to earn over 20 mill during the next two years. Cro has not been a bad teammate, but certainly not the best with him hitting hard during camp. mouthing off to the media and even mixing it up with teammates the day after Rex read the riot act. But a team like Cinci may take a shot, as they got the cap room and an extra 2nd this year.

    Sorry about the dollar figures then, I assumed you thought the jets could sign thier FA for those amounts. Not that it was the value you placed on them. You worded it much better in the case of other teams FA

    Tim Smiths contract was not guaranteed, Sanchez is. This might be the last money the guy ever makes in the nfl.

    I am very happy with Gos as a kicker for the pats, My ref to his salary was just a ref to how FA kickers are paid after two straight great years, as i said previously, i thought those figures was what you thought was market value, not your opinion on how the jets should value them.

    In none of my posts on this forum do I say the "pats do it this way" as a guide on how something should be done.
    Last edited by patman; 11-14-2012 at 11:26 AM.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    I enjoyed the read. Very nice job, and thanks for the effort!

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,296
    Great post.

    It's too bad a lot of people around here seem to have reading comprehension issues.

    Given our cap situation and who we're tied to in 2013, this is probably the way we are going to proceed. There will be no splash signings and expectations will be low coming into the season.

    I agree with you about Cro. He's playing great.. but all you hear about the guy is he relies too heavily on his physical attributes. His value will be at it's highest in the offseason, so it might make sense to pull the trigger.

    Keller will probably stay. If he came out healthy and productive this season, he'd have the chance to get a decent contract somewhere, but considering Sanchez will be back, it makes sense to bring Keller back as well.

    I think the Jets resign Slauson and Devito. Both will require higher #s than what you figured, but with Moore and Pouha likely gone, they need some consistency. Vlad gets the other starting OG job in '13. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Jets attempt to keep Landry as well. I have a sense the coaching staff likes him.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    TRADE CROMARTIE? REALLY
    I have said it a few times as well. If we resign Revis long term trading Cro should be a gimme. If we trade Revis we should extend Cro. Either way we can't carry over 22+ mil in CBs. I wouldn't just ride Revis out this year and end up loosing him next.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 11-14-2012 at 11:44 AM.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    First, I am not a troll, I am a fan of the league and My son has been a jets fans since Keyshon Johnson was signed believe me, I know about the jets and watch every game, either live or delayed.

    While you may get a 2nd, it would require Cro to rework his contract. Remember Davis was only making 1 mill a year for two years, Cro is scheduled to earn over 20 mill during the next two years. Cro has not been a bad teammate, but certainly not the best with him hitting hard during camp. mouthing off to the media and even mixing it up with teammates the day after Rex read the riot act. But a team like Cinci may take a shot, as they got the cap room and an extra 2nd this year.

    Sorry about the dollar figures then, I assumed you thought the jets could sign thier FA for those amounts. Not that it was the value you placed on them. You worded it much better in the case of other teams FA

    Tim Smiths contract was not guaranteed, Sanchez is. This might be the last money the guy ever makes in the nfl.

    I am very happy with Gos as a kicker for the pats, My ref to his salary was just a ref to how FA kickers are paid after two straight great years, as i said previously, i thought those figures was what you thought was market value, not your opinion on how the jets should value them.

    In none of my posts on this forum do I say the "pats do it this way" as a guide on how something should be done.
    I over reacted to your first post, that's my bad. I understand your point about Cromartie. But his base salary next year is $7 million and in 2014 it is only $4.3 million. The team could extend him 3 years and guarantee the roster bonus in 2013 ($2.3 million) and in 2014 ($5 million) and spread that over the newly extended 3 years. His cap hit for 2013 would be $7.46 million and for 2014 would be $6.1 million. Both of those are very good cap numbers for a top end CB.

  7. #27
    A very well researched post.


    There is one problem with it though. That $27.6M would have to cover 14-17 roster spots (Not sure how many picks we have this year) and teams (almost) always leave themselves $4-8M clearance below the cap. The league average is around $8M, and no team is even within $2M of this year's cap. Teams like the Packers and Patriots are $10+M under the cap.

    Given Woody's penny-penching ways, I think it's doubtful we go above $116M next year.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I over reacted to your first post, that's my bad. I understand your point about Cromartie. But his base salary next year is $7 million and in 2014 it is only $4.3 million. The team could extend him 3 years and guarantee the roster bonus in 2013 ($2.3 million) and in 2014 ($5 million) and spread that over the newly extended 3 years. His cap hit for 2013 would be $7.46 million and for 2014 would be $6.1 million. Both of those are very good cap numbers for a top end CB.
    His base is that yes but he has large roster bonus due. If you look at his deal on jason's page it shows his signing bonus as only 5 mill as most of the guarantees with in the 2nd and 3rd year salary. To extend cro 3 years would require the new team to come up with at least a 3 year 10mill extension.
    Last edited by patman; 11-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.

  9. #29
    One of the best posts of the year. Only argument I have with you is that Cromartie is too valuable to trade for just a 3rd round pick. He has improved on almost ever phase of his game this year.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I over reacted to your first post, that's my bad. I understand your point about Cromartie. But his base salary next year is $7 million and in 2014 it is only $4.3 million. The team could extend him 3 years and guarantee the roster bonus in 2013 ($2.3 million) and in 2014 ($5 million) and spread that over the newly extended 3 years. His cap hit for 2013 would be $7.46 million and for 2014 would be $6.1 million. Both of those are very good cap numbers for a top end CB.
    His base is that yes but he has large roster bonus due. If you look at his deal on jason's page it shows his signing bonus as only 15 mill as most of the guarantees with in the 2nd and 3rd year salary. To extend cro 3 years would require the new team to come up with at least a 3 year 10mill extension.

  11. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    One of the best posts of the year. Only argument I have with you is that Cromartie is too valuable to trade for just a 3rd round pick. He has improved on almost ever phase of his game this year.
    I agree with you about the Cromartie trade, I was just speculating what we could definitely get in return for but I also think he is much more valuable. But like they say, "it's only worth what someone will pay for it".

  12. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    His base is that yes but he has large roster bonus due. If you look at his deal on jason's page it shows his signing bonus as only 15 mill as most of the guarantees with in the 2nd and 3rd year salary. To extend cro 3 years would require the new team to come up with at least a 3 year 10mill extension.
    I think for how old he is, 28, you could see him get a 3 yr extension worth $24-27 million. He has played that well and if he was a free agent this off-season he would command more then the 4 yr $32 million the Jets gave him a few seasons ago. I guess my point is that a team who makes that trade would most likely do it with the intention of extending him at least 2 years. That's my opinion anyway.

  13. #33
    I agree with everything except Keller. With the Jets having such a lack of talent of the offensive side of the ball I think you have to keep one of your ok players. I'm ready to see Pace, Scott, and thomas go. I would keep Cro and lock up Revis long term and try to give Landry a 3 year deal.

  14. #34
    Great post Choon328, you should e-mail your C.V. to Woody...there might position opening soon as GM!
    All kidding aside, iím in agreement with getting rid of all the dead wood at the Line backer position. The O line will need a true RT as well and Moore ainít getting any younger.
    As for Cro, heís had a great year and his value wonít get any higher. so yeah trade him for a 2nd rounder but thatís on the premise that a) Revis will be 100% healthy, and b) heíd want to sign an extension at all.

  15. #35
    Not saying this is directly his fault but the Jets' OL play has sharply declined since Slauson has been a starter the last 2 years. Although I do respect him a lot more for having the balls to openly bash Tebow.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    TRADE CROMARTIE? REALLY
    agreed! Cro is a valuable guy for us. Either Revis or Cro has to be traded.But what about SUCKCHEZ? This thread will make Mark's apologists warm and fuzzy. I think before we do a darn thing TANNYBUM must go and a real GM brought in. Then he should bring his own staff in and sayonara REX and his cronies. Then the new staff should look at the personnel and make decisions! We want to win a SUPER BOWL sometime in our lifetime!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-15-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us