Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few thoughts after staying away for awhile

A few thoughts after staying away for awhile

1. It is more evident to me that Sanchez needs to go after this season. The Jets have done everything to try and motivate him and get his fire going (giving him a contract, getting a backup who can challenge him) and it hasn't worked. I supported his drafting but its time to cut the losses.

2. I still don't think Rex will be fired because of not having a losing full season to this point and the fact that he is liked by management. But next year, he will be squarely on the hot seat. Coaches like Jack Del Rio and Gary Kubiak have survived being fired after losing seasons, so unless the Jets become violent and riotous to each other, then nothing is going to happen in that department.

3. I still like what I have seen from the young defensive players, including Wilkerson who had a great game against Seattle. I think the last two drafts have been very good to the Jets and we will continue to see improvement and youth in our defense.

4. Its amazing that the state of sports media has sunk so low in just a few years. Loud mouths and yelling are the dish of the day instead of logic and stats. I just hope we get a reversal on this trend otherwise watching sports is going to be unbearable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    1. It is more evident to me that Sanchez needs to go after this season. The Jets have done everything to try and motivate him and get his fire going (giving him a contract, getting a backup who can challenge him) and it hasn't worked. I supported his drafting but its time to cut the losses.

2. I still don't think Rex will be fired because of not having a losing full season to this point and the fact that he is liked by management. But next year, he will be squarely on the hot seat. Coaches like Jack Del Rio and Gary Kubiak have survived being fired after losing seasons, so unless the Jets become violent and riotous to each other, then nothing is going to happen in that department.

3. I still like what I have seen from the young defensive players, including Wilkerson who had a great game against Seattle. I think the last two drafts have been very good to the Jets and we will continue to see improvement and youth in our defense.

4. Its amazing that the state of sports media has sunk so low in just a few years. Loud mouths and yelling are the dish of the day instead of logic and stats. I just hope we get a reversal on this trend otherwise watching sports is going to be unbearable.
    All due respect...it seems like you may have spit out your kool aid.

Welcome to reality my friend. WE SUCK!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I agree with everything in your post.

Unfortunately Sanchez is on the Jets roster in 2013 due to his contract. I hope the Jets find a cheap journeyman QB they can bring in to truly challenge him for the starting job. Open competition. Let Sanchez sit the bench if he can't beat out the likes of a Jason Campbell or David Garrard.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I agree with everything in your post.

Unfortunately Sanchez is on the Jets roster in 2013 due to his contract. I hope the Jets find a cheap journeyman QB they can bring in to truly challenge him for the starting job. Open competition. Let Sanchez sit the bench if he can't beat out the likes of a Jason Campbell or David Garrard.
    Why not draft a guy? He'd be cheaper with possibly more upside.

The jets have NOT done everything for Sanchez. The shuffling of receivers every year and now the total lack of talent around him makes his flaws show even more.

Jets Insider VIP
    You should've stayed away longer.

As an outsider I thought the team gave Sanchez zero shot to succeed by surrounding him with a bunch of scrubs (as a motivational tool I had zero problem with them signing Tebow... but they might have thought to add a WR or RB while they were at it).

A marginally talented guy like Sanchez could do well if his role was to simply distribute the ball to the team's playmakers, but there aren't any, so he's left flailing about like an idiot.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sanchez is flawed, but with the surrounding "talent" on hand the Jets could have signed Peyton Manning this off season, and the offense still would have be frickin awful.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Why not draft a guy? He'd be cheaper with possibly more upside.
    It sounds as if the QB class isn't very strong this year.. The Jets have shown they can win with mediocre QB play, and have plenty of other holes to fill. (OLB, RB, OT, WR)

Undrafted Free Agent
    Tebow is not a challenge - distraction YES
    Agreed

Hopefully.

Stephen A????????
    Last edited by JetFan - ATL; 11-14-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: oops

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    The jets have NOT done everything for Sanchez. The shuffling of receivers every year and now the total lack of talent around him makes his flaws show even more.
    I've been a Sanchez supporter since he was drafted. I have also spewed out the exact line I've quoted from you numerous times.

Do you want to know where Sanchez lost me? The goal line INT last week. Sanchez goes back to pass, doesn't realize Keller is wide open for an easy touchdown. Instead, he's looking down the field, but somehow not at Stephen Hill, who is also wide open for a TD. By the time he goes through his progessions and finds Keller, he lofts a Chad Pennington like pass towards the sideline for an easy INT.

Yes, his growth has been stunted by the shuffling of WRs, but honestly the guy has no field awareness. He leaves plays on the field almost every time he steps back to pass. He's regressed to rookie levels. I'm done, and I don't think Tebow is the answer.

Sanchez is the Jets #1 QB now, the rest of this season, and for ALL of 2013.

That is a fiscal reality, like it or not. He cannot be traded at his cost, and he cannot be benched at his cost.

So better we all stop hoping/dreaming he isn't here.

He will be. No matter how bad he is.

No, this years Shotty will be a combination of Tebow, Greene (both gone for 2013) and two defenses: "It was the Injuries" and "Sanchez had no talent around him".

Be prepared for alot of those two lines from now till 2014. We're going to hear it regularly, day in, day out, every week. It's not Sanchez, it was Shotty, then Tebow/Greene, then the injuries, then the lack of talent......and then Sparano & Rex, who will exit when Sanchez exits at the end of 2013.

That is the future.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

That is a fiscal reality, like it or not. He cannot be traded at his cost, and he cannot be benched at his cost.

No, this years Shotty will be a combination of Tebow, Greene (both gone for 2013) and two defenses: "It was the Injuries" and "Sanchez had no talent around him".

Be prepared for alot of those two lines from now till 2014. We're going to hear it regularly, day in, day out, every week. It's not Sanchez, it was Shotty, then Tebow/Greene, then the injuries, then the lack of talent......and then Sparano & Rex, who will exit when Sanchez exits at the end of 2013.

That is the future.
    You're right about this season.

I think 2013 we have a chance for a true QB battle in camp. Rex is going to feel the heat (if he's not already), and I don't see him going all in with Sanchez going into next year. Yes, due to his contract he's on the roster, but I really see the Jets trying to find a low cost vet to come in and battle it out.

You and I know that every contract has clauses. I'll bet there is a buyout clause in that contract.

All Pro
    If Sanchez can't be traded or cut for $ reasons he can certainly ride the pine as the backup next year.

SEA paid Matt Flynn a lot of $ to start now he is on the sidelines too.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    All due respect...it seems like you may have spit out your kool aid.

Welcome to reality my friend. WE SUCK!!!!!
    When did I say that we didn't suck?

There are many different elements to sucking that I wanted to address here.

(Insert joke here)

Jets Insider VIP
    When did I say that we didn't suck?

There are many different elements to sucking that I wanted to address here.

(Insert joke here)
    Lets just say...YOU SIR, without question, hung on to the Titanic a little longer than most!

Bottom of the ocean here we come!

1) I believe Sanchez has to go also. But to say the JETS have done everything to motivate him ridiculous. You can make an argument that they did everything to try and sabatage his career. From drafting him knowing our HC admits he could not help him develop bc he doesnt know enough of the offensive side of the ball, to lousy to weapons, to trading for the most contovertial back up QB in the world. Not exactly a shining endorsement to succeed

2) Del Rio and Kubiak are not total circus acts and at the very least follow the basic blue print of successful coaches. Our HC calls out opposing players WWF style, enough said.

3) Big stretch. Maybe someday, but have not developed as quickly as they should have by now.

4) Thought you were reffering to our own HC and players before I realized you were reffering to the media.
    Last edited by copernicus; 11-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Hall Of Fame

That is the future.
    Exactly, I have been saying this all year and people want to ignore the economics that are driving these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I've been a Sanchez supporter since he was drafted. I have also spewed out the exact line I've quoted from you numerous times.

Do you want to know where Sanchez lost me? The goal line INT last week. Sanchez goes back to pass, doesn't realize Keller is wide open for an easy touchdown. Instead, he's looking down the field, but somehow not at Stephen Hill, who is also wide open for a TD. By the time he goes through his progessions and finds Keller, he lofts a Chad Pennington like pass towards the sideline for an easy INT.

Yes, his growth has been stunted by the shuffling of WRs, but honestly the guy has no field awareness. He leaves plays on the field almost every time he steps back to pass. He's regressed to rookie levels. I'm done, and I don't think Tebow is the answer.

Absolutely scary. This is almost word for word something I sent to a friend on Facebook Monday morning.

Jets Insider VIP

That is the future.
    Agree except....
    He CAN be benched...he wont be, but HE CAN. The money is gone regardless of where he is on the field or on the sideline... we pay McElroy nothing. Put McElroy in . Fiscally speaking, it costs nothng. It may cost us what remains of marks fragile psyche but who cares. I rode that bus to the last stop.