Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few thoughts after staying away for awhile

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    You should've stayed away longer.

I hate lazy threadmanship. Why participate in established discussions when you can start a "here's what I think..." thread...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You and I know that every contract has clauses. I'll bet there is a buyout clause in that contract.
    Every lottery ticket has numbers and all winning lottery tickets have numbers. That does not mean every lottery ticket has winning numbers.

I am glad you finally got off the Kool-aid but a word of caution. It is harder work on this side of the fence. Your "fandom" will be questioned more often and generally by people who are not particularly smart. Once you accept the fact that there are problems with your team you need to start figuring out what we need to do in order to fix them. Once you start down that road you will need to develop a sense of what is possible or even wise and then again what is possible of even wise given our current cap situation. To those for whom everything is perfect in Jets-land it is never an issue to have to think about how to make things better.

Once you get to that point. then you are going to find yourself getting mad at our GM for digging us into such a deep hole to begin with. We have been doing the equivalent of knocking down the back wall of our house in order to get firewood for the party we are throwing in the front room of our house. Well now the party is over, it wasn't all that great to begin with and now we pretty much have no house.

If all of that is not enough to get you mad at our GM then the final straw should be the desperation move he pulled last off season. They already knew Sanchez sucked. They already knew it and the coaching staff already knew it. You simply cannot spend four seasons at the very bottom of the entire list of starting NFL QBs by every measure and expect that fact to escape the notice of NFL coaches. The problem for our GM was that he had mortgaged the future to get Sanchez in the first place. No Way to admit that mistake and keep his job. Once we could not get Manning the only reasonable chance to buy himself another year would be to restructure Mark's deal to make him effectively uncuttable no matter how bad he played. This was a desperation move by Tannenbaum to try and buy HIMSELF another year.

So any plan to clean house and rebuild will be delayed by a year while we allow all of this self inflicted poison to unwind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The problem for our GM was that he had mortgaged the future to get Sanchez in the first place. No Way to admit that mistake and keep his job. Once we could not get Manning the only reasonable chance to buy himself another year would be to restructure Mark's deal to make him effectively uncuttable no matter how bad he played. This was a desperation move by Tannenbaum to try and buy HIMSELF another year.

So any plan to clean house and rebuild will be delayed by a year while we allow all of this self inflicted poison to unwind.
    I'm sorry, but none of this is remotely true.. and I'm ready to show Tanny the door as well.

The Jets gave up very little to move up to get Sanchez. Swapping 1s, giving a 2, and giving away 3 JAGs (quick - name them!) to move up top 5 and grab a QB was seen as a steal.

Secondly, the Jets decision to 'extend' Sanchez was done primarily to lower his cap hit in 2012. His dead money against the cap is essentially the same in 2013 and 2014. True, the Jets now owe him guaranteed $$ which will certainly affect their decision to keep him, but the deal did not hurt the Jets future cap situation http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/sanchezextension.php