Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personnel decisions

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Well...when he has the players he is good. The sign of a real DC/OC is how they manage an avergae team.

His defense has been awful and he has been the DRAFT man. SO... I am starting to think he is average as a DC as well.
    The defense hasnt been awful.

Football is a team game, the defense requires help from the offense and vice versa. The defense sacked and harassed wilson the entire first half allowing 1 td and scoring one themselves....then, guess what happened?

Here is the drive chart after sanchezs pick

08:37 2 00:56 NYJ 49 3 2 Punt
    02:04 2 00:45 NYJ 19 3 4 Punt
    00:29 2 00:29 NYJ 15 1 3 End of Half
    13:26 3 02:37 NYJ 34 5 19 Punt
    05:33 3 03:42 NYJ 20 7 22 Punt
    13:33 4 02:01 NYJ 20 4 32 Fumble
    07:59 4 00:54 NYJ 35 3 0 Punt

Longest drive - 3:42. How in the world is the defense supposed to rest, regroup, and keep playing well when we have drives that last under 1 minute. That is INSANE.

Rex is to blame for a lot...but the defense is not our problem

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    For as much as we criticize the Pats for poor draft choices, they've got one thing right. The name of the game is to stockpile draft picks. Everyone knows there are going to be plenty of "misses" on draft choices, but if you've got lots of picks, you increase the odds that you will have enough high caliber players to compete. Tanny's biggest error is to constantly, trade away picks to move up, and when he does trade for more picks, it feels like it is always a 7th round pick.
    The other problem Tanny seems to consistently make (i.e. Ducasse, Hill) is reaching in the draft. Going for the steal - the guy with big upside but has questions - if he hits huge win, but they miss way too often....

Would rather take the guy that will most likely perform at the level in which he's drafted then take the guy that may be great but will most likely be a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Football is a team game, the defense requires help from the offense and vice versa. The defense sacked and harassed wilson the entire first half allowing 1 td and scoring one themselves....then, guess what happened?

Longest drive - 3:42. How in the world is the defense supposed to rest, regroup, and keep playing well when we have drives that last under 1 minute. That is INSANE.

The defense is fine. The Jets should spend the entire draft this year on offensive players....

Way too many people on this board still want to draft a pass rusher and OLB...The defense is competent and one with which you could win. The offense is an F-in disaster, let's just stock up on offensive players and hope some pan-out.

Jets Insider VIP

That is one game...and your point is fair BUT...

we are ranked in the bottom 3rd in defense. 30th in total yards allowed and we cant stop a nose bleed when it matters.

Perfect example of why it's silly for anyone to keep ripping the Jets defense. Are they an ELITE defense? No, but you take this exact same Jet defense & give them the Patriots offense & they are a Superbowl threat.
    The Jets had 3 three & outs in that timespan above, the Patriots had 7 three & outs in 8 GAMES!

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The defense is fine. The Jets should spend the entire draft this year on offensive players....

Way too many people on this board still want to draft a pass rusher and OLB...The defense is competent and one with which you could win. The offense is an F-in disaster, let's just stock up on offensive players and hope some pan-out.
    Next years draft is filled with pass rushers & Jets will have a high pick. We have to get a pass rusher to compliment our young Dline.
    1- Pass Rusher
    All offense the rest of the draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Perfect example of why it's silly for anyone to keep ripping the Jets defense. Are they an ELITE defense? No, but you take this exact same Jet defense & give them the Patriots offense & they are a Superbowl threat.
    The Jets had 3 three & outs in that timespan above, the Patriots had 7 three & outs in 8 GAMES!
    Really? They looked good against the Seahawks but lets get a grip.

We couldnt stop the fins.

We couldnt stop the dolphins?

Passing yards - 139

Rushing yards - 97

Thats what the defense gave up against miami.

Pretty tough to win when you fumble, have a punt blocked, miss a FG and throw a pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    We couldnt stop the dolphins?

Passing yards - 139

Rushing yards - 97

Thats what the defense gave up against miami.

Pretty tough to win when you fumble, have a punt blocked, miss a FG and throw a pick.
    I must have let the 30 points confuse me..like I said, I see your point but we do NOT, I repeat do NOT have a SB defense and never have except 1969. Pace, Scott shall I go on??? We are not ranked in the top 50 percent in ANY catepry. I am sorry the stats dont back your theory.

I must have let the 30 points confuse me..like I said, I see your point but we do NOT, I repeat do NOT have a SB defense and never have except 1969. Pace, Scott shall I go on??? We are not ranked in the top 50 percent in ANY catepry. I am sorry the stats dont back your theory.
    Look im not disagreeing with you that our LB corps needs to be overhauled and we will need to find a safety to replace landry, im just saying the ranks are tough...points against doesnt factor into if the opposing offense got the ball on their own 2 yard line or the jets 2 yard line.

I do think we have some good young pieces for the defense in 2013 with wilkerson, coples, kendrick ellis healthy, demario playing for bart, and drafting an OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It's been reported he is. Just as Mangini probably was too

But it doesn't mean HE is the one MAKING the final decision

It's pretty safe to say every coach is involved in personnel decisions don't you think.

Coach goes to GM/FO and says he'd like another CB or or faster S or whatever. They all discuss and decide how to move forward. Or GM comes to coach and says player X is available any thoughts on picking him up

GM has final day.

It's up to the HC and his staff to coach, teach (coach up), discipline and put the players in position to succeed.

It's clearly obvious the discipline, organization and coaching up of the Jets has deteriorated under Rex.

As for Francesa. I heard him the other day say he's not as clued in on the Jets inner workings as years past.
    I understand that the GM has the final say and coaches, no matter who, have input. However, Fatcessa's point was that Rex has had A LOT of influence/say in personnel decisions.

This appears to be a big problem. I'm of the opinion that the problem with the team is the talent. What coach could take this roster to the playoffs? But yes, Rex deserves a lot of the blame if a lot of these players are his guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

One game lol
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 11-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.

All Pro
    Look im not disagreeing with you that our LB corps needs to be overhauled and we will need to find a safety to replace landry, im just saying the ranks are tough...points against doesnt factor into if the opposing offense got the ball on their own 2 yard line or the jets 2 yard line.

I do think we have some good young pieces for the defense in 2013 with wilkerson, coples, kendrick ellis healthy, demario playing for bart, and drafting an OLB.
    They better bring Landry he is the only bright spot from this offseason acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Just put the hammer down on both these clowns. It's time for a change. We keep the same FO and coaching staff for another year, and we're guaranteed an even worse year next year. Gotta start planning for the future now and tank the rest of the games and get the top pick. Let's get Barkley and hope for the best.

BWAAAAHAHA (

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

we are ranked in the bottom 3rd in defense. 30th in total yards allowed and we cant stop a nose bleed when it matters.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    One game lol
    Really, LOL

Vs Pittsburgh our second half drives lasted 4:02, 2:46, 1:37, :57, :30, and 1:07

Vs SF our second half drives lasted 1:41, :54, :55, 3:03 (fumble), 1:18, :48, and 1:20

We dont run out the 1985 bears on defense, but the offense's disguting ineptitude is certainly not helping out the TEAM

That was a complete team meltdown with probably the worst special teams the Jets have played in years. It happens. If your offense sucks, teams can open the playbook on you which is what the Fins did.
    Onside kick
    57 yard KO return
    Blocked punt for a TD

That game was over quickly

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    That was a complete team meltdown with probably the worst special teams the Jets have played in years. It happens. If your offense sucks, teams can open the playbook on you which is what the Fins did.
    Onside kick
    57 yard KO return
    Blocked punt for a TD

That game was over quickly
    From my above post.... slice it anyway you want but it stinks from all sides.

Really, LOL

Vs Pittsburgh our second half drives lasted 4:02, 2:46, 1:37, :57, :30, and 1:07

Vs SF our second half drives lasted 1:41, :54, :55, 3:03 (fumble), 1:18, :48, and 1:20

We dont run out the 1985 bears on defense, but the offense's disguting ineptitude is certainly not helping out the TEAM
    Good offenses help defenses.
    Its a helluva lot harder playing from behind all the time, it puts immense pressure on the defense to keep teams from even getting in FG range.
    Our offense hasn't been much better than the Jaguars, OMG think about that!

From my above post.... slice it anyway you want but it stinks from all sides.

We all know the Jets defense isn't Elite, we're just saying that the complete & utter lack of consistency on offense is skewing these stats.
    Our LBs are really slow, that is a major problem, but if you draft a pass rushing LB in the 1st round & add an average young free agent too, with the return of Revis, the defense would be fine if the offense could somehow be in the top 15 in the league.
    Could you imagine the Pats defense having the Jets offense?
    How many 3 and outs do you think that Pats D could withstand?