Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Personnel decisions

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    only way woody can fix this mess is to fire rex and tanny and start new.
    better yet,lets raid the steelers and ravens scouts.they are worth all the money we would have to pay them.the jets need a complete upheaval in the orginization in order to become competitive again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Legitimate GM Candidates

I think we all know Parcells isnt going to become our Director of Football Operations.

While a combo of Gruden as DFO and Jay Gruden as coach is enticing, I really dont see that happening and that isnt Grudens area of expertise.

I also dont see Bill Poilan coming out of retirement and into this mess.

So that leaves the question, who are legitimate possibilites who could handle the NY media, bring in some young up-and-coming talent evaluators and scouts, and have the experience to know how to build an organization?

This list was on a KC Chiefs site talking about the same topic, however I have to believe that organization is more desirable given the media coverage and the fact the their owner is NOT Woody Johnson:

Baltimore Ravens- Vincent Newsome Director of Pro Personnel

Pittsburgh Steelers- Omar Khan Director of Football & Business Administration

Pittsburgh Steelers- Brandon Hunt Pro Personnel Coordinator

Houston Texans- Mike Maccagnan Director of College Scouting

Green Bay Packers- John Dorsey Director of Football Operations

Green Bay Packers- Brian Gutenkunst Director of College Scouting

Atlanta Falcons- David Caldwell Director of Pro Personnel

New York Giants- Marc Ross Director of College Scouting

Philadelphia Eagles- Louis Riddick Director of Pro Personnel

Tennessee Titans- Lake Dawson Vice President of Pro Personnel

This is an extremely strong group. From top to bottom, I can see every one of these men running an NFL franchise one day. Which is the best for the Chiefs, though?

Taking everything into consideration, I can probably cross off a number of these candidates. Due to youth and inexperience in their current position, I would like them to gain a bit more seasoning before making such a large investment. This makes me take my susperstar choice off the list, Omar Khan.

Khan was a hot target last offeason by the St Louis Rams. He made the correct decision though, and remained in Pittsburgh. I say correct decision because, unless youíre Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren, you only get one shot to run an NFL franchise. Being such a hot commodity allows you to be selective.

Other guys crossed off in my first round of cuts were:

Lake Dawson- Even though I would love to see the former Chiefs WR get the team back to the level it was at when he was catching passes from Joe Montana, he is still too fresh on his new job. If the Chiefs are in need of a GM in 3 years, Lake is on my short list of candidates.

Brandon Hunt- Surprisingly enough, that takes each of the Steelers candidates off my GM short list. Hunt is in his very early 30′s, which is young for such a demanding position. He has been molded in the Steelers scouting department and should be ready to take on the job after, once again, gaining experience in his current role.

Louis Riddick- The Eagles Director of Pro Personnel, has also served in the same role with the Washington Redskins. My question is: Why hasnít he moved forward at either spot?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The other problem Tanny seems to consistently make (i.e. Ducasse, Hill) is reaching in the draft. Going for the steal - the guy with big upside but has questions - if he hits huge win, but they miss way too often....

Would rather take the guy that will most likely perform at the level in which he's drafted then take the guy that may be great but will most likely be a bust.
    They weren't reaches.

7 months ago people here were saying getting Hill in the 2nd was a steal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And we need to change the logo and colors.
    LOL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    That is one game...and your point is fair BUT...

we are ranked in the bottom 3rd in defense. 30th in total yards allowed and we cant stop a nose bleed when it matters.
    Our D is not bottom 3rd. 17th in total yards I believe, although I wonder how much this season has come after the D gave up after our offense showed complete futility.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Our D is not bottom 3rd. 17th in total yards I believe, although I wonder how much this season has come after the D gave up after our offense showed complete futility.
    shouldn't a D be ranked by points allowed..and another category being the # of times your team is winning with 3-4 minutes to go and you hold on to win?

To measure a D by yards allowed is a meaningless stat

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    shouldn't a D be ranked by points allowed..and another category being the # of times your team is winning with 3-4 minutes to go and you hold on to win?

To measure a D by yards allowed is a meaningless stat
    This.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The defense hasnt been awful.

Football is a team game, the defense requires help from the offense and vice versa. The defense sacked and harassed wilson the entire first half allowing 1 td and scoring one themselves....then, guess what happened?

Here is the drive chart after sanchezs pick

08:37 2 00:56 NYJ 49 3 2 Punt
    02:04 2 00:45 NYJ 19 3 4 Punt
    00:29 2 00:29 NYJ 15 1 3 End of Half
    13:26 3 02:37 NYJ 34 5 19 Punt
    05:33 3 03:42 NYJ 20 7 22 Punt
    13:33 4 02:01 NYJ 20 4 32 Fumble
    07:59 4 00:54 NYJ 35 3 0 Punt

Longest drive - 3:42. How in the world is the defense supposed to rest, regroup, and keep playing well when we have drives that last under 1 minute. That is INSANE.

Rex is to blame for a lot...but the defense is not our problem
    I agree. I also agree that we don't need an "elite" D to win a superbowl, we just need the guys we've got and an offense that will pull its weight.

C Mart and SlickBri481, valid points about rating the defense. Are total points used? Or just points when the D is on the field? Because it sure wouldn't seem fair to count interceptions and recovered fumbles / offense mistakes against the D.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Link? I am on my IPAD and can't find my link but it was an NFL source. That said....it ranked 4 categories of defense, best category we were 16th. Overall yards allowed we were 30th.

Regardless....our D is NOT elite nor playoff caliber but is showing some areas of strength.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Yesterday, Fatcessa stated as fact, that Rex has a big say in personnel decisions.

This is interesting, because many here have pointed out that the drafting and personnel decisions were much better under Mangini. To me, this means that either Mangini was the brains behind the operation, or that Tannenbaum is allowing Rex too much say in personnel decisions.

I think personnel is the problem with the team. Rex is a good coach. He's shown what he can do with a capable roster. But maybe he should stay the hell away from personnel decisions.

Discuss!
    First off, Rex is not a good coach and a horrible judge of talent. Second, go back the the first statement.