Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jets should trade for draft choices

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

jets should trade for draft choices

this season looks like it is going to the dumps.I for one think that the jets must look to rebuild on both offense and defense.linebackers are their number one option on defense.sanchez will be there for another year.unless another team wants him.running back is there next option.it looks like the jets will not be competitive for the next three years with the present roster.so why not look to the draft.
    Last edited by jets rooter; 11-15-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except the trading deadline has passed

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    who do we have that anybody else wants?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this topic

It allows me to talk about 2 of my Favorite performers who should be ex Jets . Namely D Ferguson and D Keller. I am willing to take whatever i can get for both men. In this lost season.with no QB worthy of a top pick,the best next available option is a young LT.

It Just so happens that there're atleast 2 LT who will be available when we are likely to pick in this upcoming draft if Rex continues to send Sanchez out week after week.

Keller should be traded and wharever we can get we should take.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It allows me to talk about 2 of my Favorite performers who should be ex Jets . Namely D Ferguson and D Keller. I am willing to take whatever i can get for both men. In this lost season.with no QB worthy of a top pick,the best next available option is a young LT.

It Just so happens that there're atleast 2 LT who will be available when we are likely to pick in this upcoming draft if Rex continues to send Sanchez out week after week.

Keller should be traded and wharever we can get we should take.
    Keller's a FA, no?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Keller's a FA, no?
    Yes he is, but we can tender him can't we . I want these guys off this team . On a side note CMart. Do it sound to u like Mark and Rex read from the same notes?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes he is, but we can tender him can't we . I want these guys off this team . On a side note CMart. Do it sound to u like Mark and Rex read from the same notes?
    I think the Jets PR try to prep these guys. Doesn't always work tho.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What team is going to give up a draft pick and pay him 5.5 mill next year?
    Keller most likely would not want to sign a long term contract after the year he had. He is going to church and lighting candles hoping the jets tag him. He gets 5.5 mill and a do over. You have to remember the next team is going to want to extend him, And I think Keller is not in a good position to do so.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you can tender an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Our best bet would be to do a sign and trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    I don't think you can tender an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Our best bet would be to do a sign and trade.
    You cant do sign and trades in the NFL because of the hit you take with the signing bonus against the cap. Keller is not trade-able at this point. Jets either sign him or they do not.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You cant do sign and trades in the NFL because of the hit you take with the signing bonus against the cap. Keller is not trade-able at this point. Jets either sign him or they do not.
    Of course, i forgot about the signing bonus. Thanks for pointing that out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who do we have to trade that we'd MAYBE be willing to part with that other teams would covet? Off the top of my head I can only think of Revis or Cromartie and Harris.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Who do we have to trade that we'd MAYBE be willing to part with that other teams would covet? Off the top of my head I can only think of Revis or Cromartie and Harris.
    After the year he is having, Cromartie would be the Jets best trade bait.

Harris play has dropped off significantly, not sure he'd be worth that much on the open market.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Hershel Walker" trade Revis to Oakland for their number 1 pick and the many others they'll likely offer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    "Hershel Walker" trade Revis to Oakland for their number 1 pick and the many others they'll likely offer.
    I dont think Oakland has a number one pick in the near future, they traded them away for Palmer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post

Nobody is trading a #1 for Revis until he proves he is 100% recovered (not a sure thing).
    The only thing the Jets have worth trading are their own picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would easily let Keller walk if he is looking for big cash. I agree with the op though, try and acquire more pics but this goes totally against our GM's nature.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every man is expendable

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of jets that have trade value, only a few have value beyond thier cap hit.

Kerley, Howard, Cro, Tebow, Pouha, are guys that can bring something in a trade, Kerley and Cro something decent, the others a 6th or 7th.

Revis's contract and injury situation make him untradeable.

All the remainder are you recent picks or guys you would lose cap space by trading, Harris, Mangold, Dbrick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree that you have to blow it up. The Jets need to be smarter in a lot of cases like not giving a lucrative contract to someone who hasn't proven themselves or a huge payday to a guy in his thirties who is showing his age.

On offense, I'd shore up the o line, hit the free market for a couple of dependable receivers ( I still think the Jets should have taken Gaffney), and build a core of blue collar players. Get a little younger at linebacker and stop throwing every high draft pick at the defense to keep it in the top 5. Let the defense slip down a little until you get the offense under control. It won't kill the Jets.

This is going to make people groan but keep Sanchez around another year. It makes sense based on the contract and I would concentrate on the things I mentioned before throwing some new guy into that current mess.

Blowing it up isn't the answer IMHO. Building a better team and being wise with your dollars is a better move. There are some players that will prove to be solid if not spectacular players.

I wouldn't let Revis hold the team hostage either. He's the best, no doubt. There are too many other places that need that extra money right now though.

Also, those receivers that keep dropping balls, get rid of them now. If they don't have hands now, they will never develop good hands. Get some guys who know how to get open and who will catch what's thrown to them. they're more valuable than someone who can run a 4.2 but drops half of what's thrown at him. You don't need one spectacular weapon. You need several good weapons. Anyone can be shut down. The question is whether they can shut down all your weapons. Good weapons don't have to be super stars.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 11-15-2012 at 10:48 AM.