Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jets should trade for draft choices

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    this season looks like it is going to the dumps.I for one think that the jets must look to rebuild on both offense and defense.linebackers are there number one option on defense.sanchez will be there for another year.unless another team wants him.running back is there next option.it looks like the jets will not be competitive for the next three years with the present roster.so why not look to the draft.
    Great job Jets FRONT OFFICE! You've officially succeeded in destroying the Head Coach, the entire franchise and the entire fan base. Awesome job ! Your only choice now is to TANK the season, trade the dirty Sanchize, GET RID OF TeBLOW and his media circus. GET RID OF BART SCOTT already for god sakes, and the entire pathetic OLD AND SLOW AS HELL LB core, all of the offensive malcontents, ALL OF the TEs and EVERYONE in the FRONT OFFICE who reports to Woody Johnson, including Terry Bradway. WHAT THE HELL IS HE STILL DOING HERE AGAIN?! We are officially the laughing stock of the #NFL. I can hardly wait to see the Belli**** beat the **** out of us by 80 points. Keep going to the games so Woody Dickhead Mr PSL will continue to believe Tebow was success. This org is STILL TOTALLY CLUELESS after 4 decades. I CAN'T WAIT to hear all the clueless Jet fans who disagree.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets would be dumb to trade Revis now, his value has never been lower. With his contract situation, and injury situation, he will not get a first rd pick. He needs to play for the Jets next year, and than when he performs well, which I think he will, they need to let a team negotiate a long term deal for him, than the Jets can get a kings haul for him. Right now you would be selling low, makes no sense.

If you are, looking for a 1st rd pick. I would trade Mangold. Great player, performing well, I am not sure a center can get a 1st rd pick. But oline depth is at an all time premium so if there was ever a year to do it, this off season would be the time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post
    The jets would be dumb to trade Revis now, his value has never been lower. With his contract situation, and injury situation, he will not get a first rd pick. He needs to play for the Jets next year, and than when he performs well, which I think he will, they need to let a team negotiate a long term deal for him, than the Jets can get a kings haul for him. Right now you would be selling low, makes no sense.

If you are, looking for a 1st rd pick. I would trade Mangold. Great player, performing well, I am not sure a center can get a 1st rd pick. But oline depth is at an all time premium so if there was ever a year to do it, this off season would be the time.
    It was impossible getting Revis to live out one of Tannenbaum's dirty trick contracts. Revis is going to want even more $$ than before, and the contents of fort knox to stay with this disaster of a team. Say goodbye to Revis. He won't be back at any cost now given his unproven ability, post ACL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say the Jets could for sure get a 1st rounder for Revis. They should only trade him if they absolutely can't afford him though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I would say the Jets could for sure get a 1st rounder for Revis.
    With that contract and coming off a serious injury?

Al Davis is dead.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    I don't think you can tender an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Our best bet would be to do a sign and trade.
    This isn't the NBA. Sign and trades don't exist in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    "Hershel Walker" trade Revis to Oakland for their number 1 pick and the many others they'll likely offer.
    Why would a team give up a #1 and other picks for a player who'll be 28 next season, commands huge money and is rehabbing severe knee injury?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    With that contract and coming off a serious injury?

Al Davis is dead.
    This league is heavily influenced by recent events. Adrian Peterson comes back and lights it up. Gm's get influenced by that as far as risk reward goes. The big contract will have little influence on trade value. Either the team has cap space allocated or it doesn't. Revis is only 27 and in his prime and was the best Cb in the league by a lot. Any team making a push to get to the next level will give up a 1st for him if their docs sign off on it. Would get get a top 7 or 8 pick? Probably not as those teams have lots of needs and are probably in no shape to contend but anything after that is reasonable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    This isn't the NBA. Sign and trades don't exist in the NFL.

Why would a team give up a #1 and other picks for a player who'll be 28 next season, commands huge money and is rehabbing severe knee injury?
    28 is not old and CB's can play a long time and is almost prime of career territory.

If they have the cap room and allocate for that position this is no factor at all. If they have no cap room they won't even talk about it.

Teams get influenced by recent success and failures on all sorts of things including injuries. AP is lighting it up this year after a bad knee injury, that influences teams.

Any team that looks at their roster and says "If we only had a shut down Cb we would be super bowl bound" would look at such a trade.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This league is heavily influenced by recent events. Adrian Peterson comes back and lights it up. Gm's get influenced by that as far as risk reward goes. The big contract will have little influence on trade value. Either the team has cap space allocated or it doesn't. Revis is only 27 and in his prime and was the best Cb in the league by a lot. Any team making a push to get to the next level will give up a 1st for him if their docs sign off on it. Would get get a top 7 or 8 pick? Probably not as those teams have lots of needs and are probably in no shape to contend but anything after that is reasonable.
    Fair enough Beer.

Good point about the team having to have available cap space.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I don't agree that you have to blow it up. The Jets need to be smarter in a lot of cases like not giving a lucrative contract to someone who hasn't proven themselves or a huge payday to a guy in his thirties who is showing his age.

On offense, I'd shore up the o line, hit the free market for a couple of dependable receivers ( I still think the Jets should have taken Gaffney), and build a core of blue collar players. Get a little younger at linebacker and stop throwing every high draft pick at the defense to keep it in the top 5. Let the defense slip down a little until you get the offense under control. It won't kill the Jets.

This is going to make people groan but keep Sanchez around another year. It makes sense based on the contract and I would concentrate on the things I mentioned before throwing some new guy into that current mess.

Blowing it up isn't the answer IMHO. Building a better team and being wise with your dollars is a better move. There are some players that will prove to be solid if not spectacular players.

I wouldn't let Revis hold the team hostage either. He's the best, no doubt. There are too many other places that need that extra money right now though.

Also, those receivers that keep dropping balls, get rid of them now. If they don't have hands now, they will never develop good hands. Get some guys who know how to get open and who will catch what's thrown to them. they're more valuable than someone who can run a 4.2 but drops half of what's thrown at him. You don't need one spectacular weapon. You need several good weapons. Anyone can be shut down. The question is whether they can shut down all your weapons. Good weapons don't have to be super stars.
    The ability to sign Revis in 2014 should not be an issue cap wise. While Cro has a 10mill cap hit, he could be cut or extended at that time based on his 2013 performance.

The jets just need to avoid the temptation to put a band aid on the team.
    They can cut 30 mill of dead wood this off season then 25 mill more in 2014.

With a good draft in 2013 and 2014 they will be primed to hit the 2014 FA market with enough cap room to sign a couple of top guys and 3-4 others to round out a solid roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    After the year he is having, Cromartie would be the Jets best trade bait.

Harris play has dropped off significantly, not sure he'd be worth that much on the open market.
    This is the perfect off season to get a #2 for Cromarty.
    Sell high baby, we all know that Cro gets less on his technique & more on shear athleticism.
    Age will eventual catch up to that.
    Best deal would be to try & pry a #2 & a RB from the Saints.
    That team needs DBs in a bad way.
    If Miami can get a 2 for that guy they traded to the Colts, Cro is definitely worth a #2 & a backup RB.
    Last edited by jetster; 11-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You cant do sign and trades in the NFL because of the hit you take with the signing bonus against the cap. Keller is not trade-able at this point. Jets either sign him or they do not.
    Jets could franchise him and then trade him like they did with John Abraham

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This is the perfect off season to get a #2 for Cromarty.
    Sell high baby, we all know that Cro gets less on his technique & more on shear athleticism.
    Age will eventual catch up to that.
    Best deal would be to try & pry a #2 & a RB from the Saints.
    That team needs DBs in a bad way.
    If Miami can get a 2 for that guy they traded to the Colts, Cro is definitely worth a #2 & a backup RB.
    We already are very deep at backup running back.