Thread: The HC Pendulum: From Player's Coach To Hardass...

The HC Pendulum: From Player's Coach To Hardass...

From Pete Carroll (and Kotite) to Bill Parcells...
    From Parcells (and Groh) to Herman Edwards...
    From Edwards to Mangini...
    From Mangini to Rex Ryan...

It seems as one HC fails, he seems to be replaced by a coach with the opposite approach to dealing with players to try to shake things up...

This pattern seems to be holding with the Jets coaching carousel as well...

With this season spiraling into impending doom, and Ryan clearly one of the most "player's coach" guys the Jets have ever had, it may be appropriate to start considering who may be next...

I'm guessing the next HC will be a no-nonsense "hardass" type, ala Parcells, Mangini...

Any suggestions?

Lets hope Rex makes the swing this time, and not the Jets organization.

Give us a new GM who can give Rex some talent on offense, and let's see what Rex can do. I still believe in him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

Give us a new GM who can give Rex some talent on offense, and let's see what Rex can do. I still believe in him.
    Rex is likeable, and i really want to believe in him, but in this clusterfudge of problems, its hard to determine who is underachieving, and who is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jets Insider VIP
    I was in high school jazz band. Our band had been second rate forever.

The reason was the director emphasized style but we played
    out of tune.

When we got a new director it was all intonation, but we still played with
    style and made the state jazz festival for the first and only time.

The reason was over time the style disappeared.

The new head coach of the Jets should
    NOT be extreme players coach or disciplinarian.

We need one in the middle.

Jets should hire a coach who doesn't think Derrick Mason is going to catch 90 passes.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

Guys cant go from players/employee friendly managers or coaches to hard ass.....you can go from hard ass to more player friendly. Rex can not change who he is right now, at least not with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    I was in high school jazz band. Our band had been second rate forever.

The reason was the director emphasized style but we played
    out of tune.

When we got a new director it was all intonation, but we still played with
    style and made the state jazz festival for the first and only time.

The reason was over time the style disappeared.

The new head coach of the Jets should
    NOT be extreme players coach or disciplinarian.

We need one in the middle.
    Correct. The Jets always hire to "correct" the last coach rather than to hire the best coach, necessarily, and as a result they wind up with some cartoonish choices.

Not every hire has been bad. Rex certainly fit the bill early, but hasn't evolved into a more complete coach with experience.

My hunch is our next HC will be someone with HC experience in the NFL. The good news is that, if we make a change, it will likely be total (Tanny gone too), and we'll be able to offer the "total control" that a Cowher or Gruden type might demand.

Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    ...and we'll be able to offer the "total control" that a Cowher or Gruden type might demand.
    I honestly believe that Ryan & Gruden are the same type of coach.

Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    I honestly believe that Ryan & Gruden are the same type of coach.
    And I honestly believe that's what we need.

Look, Rex is being blasted right now, but he's exactly what the doctor ordered. He took a 16th ranked defense, added bart scott and jim leonard (two UDFAs), and turned them into the number one defense in the league. We've been top 5 since he got here. Sure everyone points to the critical moments, and I agree those are flaws, but with better all-around teams, our defense wouldn't be put in those situations time and time again.

Gruden is the same mastermind/players coach for the offense. And it works.

We don't need a hardass, we need people who can win. Rex has shown he can take care of the D. If we can get someone to take care of the O, we'll be right back on track...because all of these implosions and leaks and backstabs go away when a team is winning.

Right now, everyone wants the knee-jerk reaction, but we forget how badly people hated Mangini's style as well (I defended him there as well because it's not about style, its about results). But hardass coaches also fail and also get fired. Going from one to the next wont cut it.

We've got a coach that players love (forget that BS article and poll, it's still true), and that also has the knowledge and skills to implement winning football on the defensive side. Why can't we go out and throw all of Woody's money at Rex to remain DC, and Gruden/Holmegren to become HC?
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 11-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Deep down I like Rex and would have loved to see him take this team to the next level. But no one from this regime should survive. It's a toxic environment.