Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legitimate GM Candidates

Legitimate GM Candidates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we all know Parcells isnt going to become our Director of Football Operations.

While a combo of Gruden as DFO and Jay Gruden as coach is enticing, I really dont see that happening and that isnt Grudens area of expertise.

I also dont see Bill Poilan coming out of retirement and into this mess.

So that leaves the question, who are legitimate possibilites who could handle the NY media, bring in some young up-and-coming talent evaluators and scouts, and have the experience to know how to build an organization?

This list was on a KC Chiefs site talking about the same topic, however I have to believe that organization is more desirable given the media coverage and the fact the their owner is NOT Woody Johnson:

Baltimore Ravens- Vincent Newsome Director of Pro Personnel

Pittsburgh Steelers- Omar Khan Director of Football & Business Administration

Pittsburgh Steelers- Brandon Hunt Pro Personnel Coordinator

Houston Texans- Mike Maccagnan Director of College Scouting

Green Bay Packers- John Dorsey Director of Football Operations

Green Bay Packers- Brian Gutenkunst Director of College Scouting

Atlanta Falcons- David Caldwell Director of Pro Personnel

New York Giants- Marc Ross Director of College Scouting

Philadelphia Eagles- Louis Riddick Director of Pro Personnel

Tennessee Titans- Lake Dawson Vice President of Pro Personnel

This is an extremely strong group. From top to bottom, I can see every one of these men running an NFL franchise one day.

Taking everything into consideration, I can probably cross off a number of these candidates. Due to youth and inexperience in their current position, I would like them to gain a bit more seasoning before making such a large investment. This makes me take my susperstar choice off the list, Omar Khan.

Khan was a hot target last offeason by the St Louis Rams. He made the correct decision though, and remained in Pittsburgh. I say correct decision because, unless you’re Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren, you only get one shot to run an NFL franchise. Being such a hot commodity allows you to be selective.

Other guys crossed off in my first round of cuts were:

Lake Dawson- Even though I would love to see the former Chiefs WR get the team back to the level it was at when he was catching passes from Joe Montana, he is still too fresh on his new job. If the Chiefs are in need of a GM in 3 years, Lake is on my short list of candidates.

Brandon Hunt- Surprisingly enough, that takes each of the Steelers candidates off my GM short list. Hunt is in his very early 30′s, which is young for such a demanding position. He has been molded in the Steelers scouting department and should be ready to take on the job after, once again, gaining experience in his current role.

Louis Riddick- The Eagles Director of Pro Personnel, has also served in the same role with the Washington Redskins. My question is: Why hasn’t he moved forward at either spot?

Hall Of Fame
    Nice work putting that list together.

Is Vincent Newsome related to Ozzie?

What do you know about the Packers guys? Anyone that has tutored under Thompson or Wolfe would be enticing to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What do you know about the Packers guys? Anyone that has tutored under Thompson or Wolfe would be enticing to me.
    True, here is what I found about Dorsey.

Has served four tenures in Green Bay: first as a player (1984-89); second as a college scout (1991-1997) and director of college scouting (1997-98); third as director of college scouting (2000-2012); and fourth as the current director – football operations (2012-present).
    Served on the NFL College Advisory Committee.
    A linebacker during his playing days, was a fourth-round pick of the Packers in 1984, enjoying a five-year career in Green Bay.
    A four-year starter at Connecticut (1980-83), was named Defensive Player of the Year in the Yankee Conference each of his final two collegiate seasons, also earning Division I-AA All-America recognition as a senior. Is a member of the school’s 100th Anniversary All-Time Football Team, selected in 1998.

John Dorsey, now in his 22nd year in NFL player personnel, was promoted to director — football operations in May 2012, his fourth tenure in Green Bay. He previously served 12 years as the Packers’ director of college scouting.

An effective player for the Packers during the 1980s, Dorsey oversees the college side of Green Bay’s scouting operations, and also is actively involved in the area of pro personnel.

Brought back to the team as director of college scouting on May 8, 2000, by then-Executive Vice President/General Manager Ron Wolf, the 52-year old Dorsey earlier had been a key component in Green Bay’s personnel operations for nine highly successful years. First hired as a college scout in May 1991 with a focus on linebackers, he was retained by Wolf the following year and, ultimately, was promoted to head up the Packers’ college scouting department on Feb. 27, 1997, succeeding John Math, who retired.

Hired as director of player personnel for the Seattle Seahawks on Jan. 26, 1999, as he followed former Packers coach Mike Holmgren to the West Coast, Dorsey resigned that position just over a year later, leaving shortly after the 2000 NFL Draft.

Selected by Green Bay in the fourth round of the 1984 draft, beginning his initial Packers employment, Dorsey played five seasons for the team (1984-88) at linebacker and on special teams before spending a final year on injured reserve in 1989. He totaled 130 tackles as a pro, in addition to two fumble recoveries and one pass defensed. Dorsey led Green Bay’s special teams in solo tackles in three of his first four seasons, a level of play which helped earn him selection as the Packers’ special teams captain. His 35 special teams tackles in 1984 are still a club record. Possessor of a streak of 76 consecutive non-strike games played, Dorsey saw that string end when he suffered a freak knee injury in pregame warmups of the team’s ’89 season opener.

A four-year starter at the University of Connecticut (1980-83), Dorsey was named Defensive Player of the Year in the Yankee Conference during each of his final two collegiate seasons and is the all-time leading tackler in the now-defunct conference’s history. He also earned Division I-AA All-America recognition as a senior and, in 1998, he was selected to the school’s 100th Anniversary All-Time Football Team. In 2002, Dorsey was inducted into the Anne Arundel (Md.) County Sports Hall of Fame. He graduated with bachelor’s degrees in economics and political science.

Heavily involved in the community throughout his playing career, especially with the Wisconsin Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Dorsey currently serves on the board of “65 Roses.” He was voted as the Packers’ Man of the Year in 1987 for his civic contributions. At the professional level, Dorsey is on the board of directors for National Football Scouting and is a former member of the NFL College Advisory Committee. He is also a member of the NFL Scouting Combine selection committee, and is a voting member of the collegiate Butkus Award (given to the nation’s top linebacker). Dorsey is the only NFL voting member of the Harris Interactive College Football Poll.

Dorsey was born Aug. 30, 1960, in Leonardtown, Md. He and his wife, Patricia A. Sexton-Dorsey, reside in De Pere, Wis. He also is the father of three sons, Bryant, 25, Austin, 21, and Jack, 1, and a daughter, Catherine, 3.

In his spare time, Dorsey enjoys playing golf, reading and running – having completed two marathons

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Nice work putting that list together.

Is Vincent Newsome related to Ozzie?
    Thanks, but I actually grabbed it from a KC site after googling NFL GM candidates 2013. Pretty comprehensive though

Jets Insider VIP
    The NY media is gonna push for Dawson

Just cuz they can't wait to call his first draft pick "Mistake by the Lake" in the headlines.

Your 2012 Owner: Woody

Your 2012 GM: Tanny

Your 2012 HC: Rex

Your 2012 QB: Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Woody's lack of experience as an owner makes him rely on Bradway and Tanny. I wonder if he has developed any contacts or relationships he can trust for advice. It would take courage and planning to reach out of his circle. Hopefully he knows how to interview candidates because change will be needed.

what about Eric DeCosta. I think he's the assistant GM in Baltimore.

I hear he's the new GM flavor of the month.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Tell us more

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Woody's lack of experience as an owner makes him rely on Bradway and Tanny. I wonder if he has developed any contacts or relationships he can trust for advice. It would take courage and planning to reach out of his circle. Hopefully he knows how to interview candidates because change will be needed.
    I think someone must have told Woody that if anyone ever uses the term "it's a process" during an interview you should hire them immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    what about Eric DeCosta. I think he's the assistant GM in Baltimore.

I hear he's the new GM flavor of the month.
    He is the best out there, but he has also been given every indication that he will be able to take over Baltimore when Ozzie retires, which I believe is not too far off.

Personally the Falcons guy would have come up under Dimitroff which makes him very appealing in my opinion.

So what's the bad news you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    Mangini
    I honestly think he is going to be a good coach for a team somewhere down the line.

The only reason that is could happen for the jets is that it is so insanely ridiculous, that maybe its on woodys mind already.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Tell us more
    More would be posting-fail.

All years should be 2013, not 2012.

/fail

More would be posting-fail.

All years should be 2013, not 2012.

/fail
    Ha I didn't even catch that, I just knew where you were going with it

Agreed, however it makes me feel much better at least wishfully thinking about it much like a red ryder bb gun at Christmas time.

All Pro

Your 2014 Owner: Woody

Your 2014 GM: Tanny

Your 2014 HC: Rex

Your 2014 QB: Sanchez

They all get canned at the end of the 2014 season.....

All Pro
    Any one from ravens steelers texans or pack is fine for me