Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legitimate GM Candidates

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Nothing to do with my theory, he was hired to be both the GM and HC by the owner. He is a "failure" as a head guy, I am talking about him working for someone else either in a personnel dept or as part of a coaching staff.
    Your theory's just that. A theory. May be true. Somehow I doubt that if a hc thought Mangini could help them win they'd hold Spygate against him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Come on man. I'm not saying he's the best in the business but be fair. When he was in the building they drafted Revis, Mangold, Brick, Keller, Lowery, Harris, Stuckey, brad smith, Eric smith, Leon Washington.
    Did you really put Stuckey, Lowery,and the Smiths on his resume, as genius picks?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric DeCosta.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    Mangini
    If not as GM, then definitely head of scouting/personell. Drafted only All Pros we have on the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on man. I'm not saying he's the best in the business but be fair. When he was in the building they drafted Revis, Mangold, Brick, Keller, Lowery, Harris, Stuckey, brad smith, Eric smith, Leon Washington.
    Its odd that Tanny doesnt get credit for revis/dbrick and all the blame for gholston especially considering neither mangini nor rex has personnel responsibility in their title

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your theory's just that. A theory. May be true. Somehow I doubt that if a hc thought Mangini could help them win they'd hold Spygate against him.
    Of course I don't know, he may be a secret communist. But it seems to be the only obvious reason. The guy is a good coach and does not have a job and he is never even rumored for any position. To me it was just stating the obvious.

But this is a guy who has made millions and maybe he is just a guy that wants to see his kids grow up. Certainly atypical behavior for a coach but it is the only other reason. He is considered a rat by the majority of HC/GMs or his is putting his family first.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Pretty much spot on. Mirrors my sentiment exactly. We have been atching the deterioration of this team since Braylen's flip and Scott's "Cant Wait" in New England. Before this season, I felt bad for Rex because in order to can Tanny, he would be the collateral damage. Watching how bad this team handles themselves publicly, i am on record that we need to blow the whole thing up. No more quick fixes, no more shortcuts. Build a team that will sustain success. Make moves for the long term in mind.
    I've been a fan of Rex and think he's track record is strong but this is where he's losing me. He is losing control of this team. They can't keep their mouths shut and become a sideshow on a weekly basis. It just comes off to me as there's no discipline.

On GM, Tanny must go. We've given away far too many draft picks and developed much too little.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Did you really put Stuckey, Lowery,and the Smiths on his resume, as genius picks?
    Lowery was effective as a safety his last season here. Brad Smith absolutely was a big contributor. As for the other two, not every guy a team drafts is going to be a ten year starter. They are mediocre but they certainly weren't failures as late round picks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Its odd that Tanny doesnt get credit for revis/dbrick and all the blame for gholston especially considering neither mangini nor rex has personnel responsibility in their title
    I always got the impression that it was the combination of Mangini and Tanny that made them effective. Mangini definitely had input into the drafts here.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Pretty much spot on. Mirrors my sentiment exactly. We have been atching the deterioration of this team since Braylen's flip and Scott's "Cant Wait" in New England. Before this season, I felt bad for Rex because in order to can Tanny, he would be the collateral damage. Watching how bad this team handles themselves publicly, i am on record that we need to blow the whole thing up. No more quick fixes, no more shortcuts. Build a team that will sustain success. Make moves for the long term in mind.
    I think that was what Mangini was trying to do before getting chopped by an impatient owner who bowed to media pressure and more concerned with splash instead of substance..Woody wanted the turkey cooked in the microwave but wanted to taste like it cooked in the oven,,not possible. He now has exactly what he asked for..period

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    I think that was what Mangini was trying to do before getting chopped by an impatient owner who bowed to media pressure and more concerned with splash instead of substance..Woody wanted the turkey cooked in the microwave but wanted to taste like it cooked in the oven,,not possible. He now has exactly what he asked for..period

LoL now that sounds yummy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to cook it in a big pot of boiling oil. Mangini had time here. His problem was Schotty, and a lack of gravitas. I think he just might make a good GM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to cook it in a big pot of boiling oil. Mangini had time here. His problem was Schotty, and a lack of gravitas. I think he just might make a good GM.
    I've had this obtuse argument too many times. The Steelers have had 3 coaches in the last 40 years and Noll struggled mightily his 1st 3 years..How is that working out for the Steelers? The world of "instant everything" its NOW..in the real world building something of substance takes time and patience..Not character traits of Mr Woody Johnson.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had this obtuse argument too many times. The Steelers have had 3 coaches in the last 40 years and Noll struggled mightily his 1st 3 years..How is that working out for the Steelers? The world of "instant everything" its NOW..in the real world building something of substance takes time and patience..Not character traits of Mr Woody Johnson.
    I see the whole Farve debacle, but where else is this quick fix thing a problem? Where are our big splash RT, and OLB? The problem is that Tanny has no plan. I wish he was trying a quick fix. Instead he's drafting players that aren't good, and neglecting the problems.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see the whole Farve debacle, but where else is this quick fix thing a problem? Where are our big splash RT, and OLB? The problem is that Tanny has no plan. I wish he was trying a quick fix. Instead he's drafting players that aren't good, and neglecting the problems.
    The quick fixes were not done this year. they were done over the past several seasons. Basically, how many big free agent splashes work out? NFL wide even? Teams that draft well dont need to bring in several free agents per year. Heck we basically bought our defense in 08 and 09. Looking back, we did almost get to the super bowl twice. But in the end, we didn't and now because all of those players are drastically underperforming compared to their price tag (if they are even still here) we are handcuffed.

Our drafts have been short on quantity and quality under Tanny. the fact that we finally had an average size draft class and cut at least have of them, speaks volumes to me.

I agree that we have not had a plan and if we actually did, we didn't stick to it. If Woody didn't force Tebow on us, then there really is a disconnect between Tanny and Rex. Because that has been a disaster. Not Tebow's fault. And for those who say "cut Tebow," he is basically the only shot this team has to playing respectable over the next 6 weeks.

BTW, whoever gave the "turkey in the microwave" anology, pure genius!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.

Exactly!

There's no question that the Jets have issues to address -- imo, not drafting any playmakers on offense to help Sanchez, Rex's failure to pay attention to the offensive side of the ball; and, as I said before the season began, bringing the Tebow sideshow to NY.

I just love how some are advocating cleaning house and bringing in individuals from organizations like the Texans, LMAO. Houston, despite high draft choices for most of their history, just bacame a playoff team. Just 2 seasons ago, Houston won 5/6 games and had the worst defense in the NFL. So much for that theory. I do agree that if Tanny is relieved from his duty as GM, look at organizations like Pitt, NYG, Baltimore or GB. Each of those respective, and respected, organizations do a very good job on draft day; probably are among the tops in the NFL.

Finally, the comments by some who say that this has been falling apart for years is just not true. Two seasons ago the Jets were 11-5 and in the AFCG for the second year in a row. Last year, the team was 8-5 before losing its final 3 games. That's the wheels coming off?

As a lifelong Jets fan, like most here, I think the Jets need stability at the top more than anything else. I am not opposed to a critical review and possible reassignment of Tanny's personnel responsibilities with a more proven talent evaluator. However, at this point, I think it is very shortsighted to get rid of Rex. Yes, Rex has to change some of his ways but there are other successful coaches who have been given time despite losing (Coughlin, Kubiak, McCarthy, Gruden, etc) seasons. Rex's resume in his first 2 3/4 years (and playoffs) should give him the benefit of the doubt. Rex has to adopt to today's NFL and begin to focus in on the offense. The first move he can make is to fire Sparano and bring in a credible offensive-minded coach. It was my hope last year that he would look south at NO coaching staff. The Sparano hire completely blind-sided me. While it could be argued that the move fits with Rex's philosopsy of ground-and-pound, it lacks creativity and is not today's NFL where the rules dictate you throw the ball downfield. Of course, maybe his philosophy is an acknowledgement that the Jets don't have the talent on offense to air it out.

Lastly, Woody. Please pay less attention to politics and more attention to your investment -- the product on the field. Us fans want to win. We enjoyed the rides back in 2009 and 2010. The past 12 months have been brutal. Get this fixed, asap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that Pitt has done so well is indicitive of a front office philosophy. One that they have stuck by and not changed every season based on free agents available or more importantly head lines.