Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legitimate GM Candidates

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    My take on a new look for the jets is Marty Shotehiemer for Dir of football ops.
    This is a move I could actually see coming true. If I remember correctly, Woody and Marty are pretty friendly. Woody admires him.

I think it would be a good move as well. Say what you want about his coaching, but Marty's teams were always well-built. Solid to excellent RBs, solid QB play, good defense. Marty probably wouldn't completely blow up our scouting department, either. Terry Bradway was a top scout in Kansas City during Marty's tenure.

Bill Cowher also has ties to Marty. He was an assistant on Marty's Browns teams in the 80s.

I am one who thinks Kevin Abrams, currently the Asst. GM for the Giants, would be a great move to get this team going in the right direction. He's been with the Giants since 1999, so he was there to observe Ernie Accorsi evaluating Eli Manning as the potential franchise QB while also appearing in the Super Bowl in 2000; and he's been alongside Jerry Reese since his hiring as his second hand man while he's built a team that's won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years. Although I am not the biggest fan of the Giants, when it comes to running an elite franchise, they are pretty much the model franchise (and I'd put the Steelers right there as well). I would definitely like to keep Tannenbaum as a "cap consultant", give him the Asst. GM position and Abrams the GM. It's not the craziest idea since Bradway stepped down from GM to a scouting position. I feel like Tannenbaum is great with figuring out ways to create cap space, but his view of talent is not up to par.

As for coaching, I would assume they'd allow Abrams to pick his coaching staff, which could mean he keeps Rex there but that'd be for him to decide. I like Rex, he's done a lot of great things in his time here, but I am starting to really see his flaws as a HC. His total ineptitude of the offensive side of the ball is ridiculous. How you're such a defensive guru and can look at this offense and not do something about it is beyond me. He also is loyal to an absolute fault and stubborn; he never will say a bad thing about a player (I think once he did with Kerley, and that seems to be the only guy who doesn't suck right now). And his "ground and pound" mentality is atrocious when the league has moved into an entirely different direction. Maybe with a DOMINATING offensive line and a RB like AP or Trent Richardson that'd could work, but a line with some weaknesses and an average to below average rb in Greene, it seems like a recipe for disaster. Also, his decision to stick with Sanchez is unbelievable, it's now clear why Tomlinson said Sanchez is coddled, he went from having a 115 year old backup (and clearly was just a mentor) to actually having someone who can push him for the job and they still refuse to make a change even if its not a permanent thing, not even to punish him and make him reconsider how he's playing.

Bruce Arians would be a good choice in my opinion, he was the OC for the Steelers and helped the development of Roethlisberger, and now as he has stepped up to HC of the Colts and is doing a tremendous job with Luck, he seems to deserve consideration.

I'm not going to go into the rest of the staff decisions as it would be taking a stab in the dark and it's not like my opinion is going to have any impact in the choices this franchise makes. I just am sick of being the jokes of the NFL and really want to see this franchise make some moves in the right direction. I also believe Sanchez plain and simple is not a starting QB in the NFL. I don't see any sort of love for the game and his reactions to when things aren't going well are atrocious. He has completely regressed, even bringing in somewhat of a competition couldn't light a fire under him to get better.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Someone strong enough to say no to Woody and make it stick. That will limit the field considerably.

On a side note I am happy that we seem to have moved from arguing whether it is is the right thing to fire Tanny at all to an assumption that it is going to happen and the only open questions now are when it actually happens and in what capacity (if any) will Mike Tannenbaum be allowed to stay on with the organization? Anything higher than tea boy is a mistake IMO.

Thank God we have come to our collective senses! It took long enough.

In a board often populated with insufferable idiots peddling some stupidity or other, the most personally offensive to me were the army of tannenites for whom Mike Tannenbaum walked on water and could never do any wrong. Ever. This meltdown has been in progress for YEARS and it should have been obvious to anyone who took the time to look closely. In my opinion it belongs to one man and one man only. Our GM.
    There is no way Tanny should be kept in any capacity, him and Bradway need to go. At some point you cant keep demoting your GMs when they fail at their jobs.

While I think this team desperately needs wholesale changes in the front office, I do not think it is going to happen after this season. Rex and Tanny will both have two years remaining on their contracts and Sanchez has essentially one year left. I think Woody stays with the current trio for one more year and then brings in a new regime which will have some cap flexibility and the ability to start fresh.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There is no way Tanny should be kept in any capacity, him and Bradway need to go. At some point you cant keep demoting your GMs when they fail at their jobs.

While I think this team desperately needs wholesale changes in the front office, I do not think it is going to happen after this season. Rex and Tanny will both have two years remaining on their contracts and Sanchez has essentially one year left. I think Woody stays with the current trio for one more year and then brings in a new regime which will have some cap flexibility and the ability to start fresh.
    My original opinion during this past off season was that the contract extension given to Mark Sanchez was actually a pretty slick move by Mike Tannenbaum once he could not get Peyton Manning. This effectively turned into a cap-money poisoned pill that welded Tanny, Sanchez and Rex all together even more tightly than they were already joined at the hip. Pretty sneaky since I feel quite strongly that Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets coaching staff already knew full well that Mark Sanchez was dogsh1t.

Mike Tannebaum bought himself an extra year with that move IMO.

Honestly though if the meltdown goes much harder than it is going right now then all three might be out on their ears and to hell with the cost.

In short, any or all of them should be dropped when it most benefits the organization to flick the three pieces of snot off the fingernail of the NY Jets. After a new GM has been found it will be up to him, and him alone to determine if Mark Sanchez and/or Rex Ryan are out that very same day or if there is some rationale to keep them on board for a while (perhaps trying a #1 overall pick in 2014?).

In any event and this is something I have been hammering on for a while but I feel that it is crucially important that Mike T's trading privileges be revoked and revoked before close of business today. He may end up keeping his job for some time to come but Woody has to remove his ability to make even more stupid moves, often very desperate moves in an effort to try and save his own a$$. In fact, if Woody is doing his job and he has a replacement in mind then the organization should already getting quiet input from that person and be making "positioning moves" to get ourselves ready for a future change in administration (e.g. trade away talent to get picks. Assuming of course we have things other teams want).
    Last edited by EM31; 11-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

I posted earlier in the thread that the new GM will probably not be available full time until after the draft. If that is the case, this group should trade down and out and get picks next year. This year fix the oline in the draft as they are less scheme specific.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    My original opinion during this past off season was that the contract extension given to Mark Sanchez was actually a pretty slick move by Mike Tannenbaum once he could not get Peyton Manning. This effectively turned into a cap-money poisoned pill that welded Tanny, Sanchez and Rex all together even more tightly than they were already joined at the hip. Pretty sneaky since I feel quite strongly that Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets coaching staff already knew full well that Mark Sanchez was dogsh1t.

Mike Tannebaum bought himself an extra year with that move IMO.

Honestly though if the meltdown goes much harder than it is going right now then all three might be out on their ears and to hell with the cost.

In short, any or all of them should be dropped when it most benefits the organization to flick the three pieces of snot off the fingernail of the NY Jets. After a new GM has been found it will be up to him, and him alone to determine if Mark Sanchez and/or Rex Ryan are out that very same day or if there is some rationale to keep them on board for a while (perhaps trying a #1 overall pick in 2014?).

In any event and this is something I have been hammering on for a while but I feel that it is crucially important that Mike T's trading privileges be revoked and revoked before close of business today. He may end up keeping his job for some time to come but Woody has to remove his ability to make even more stupid moves, often very desperate moves in an effort to try and save his own a$$.
    I agree, because the worst thing that could happen to this franchise is that Tanny sees the writing on the wall and mortgages more of the future for a last ditch "win now" mentality. Let the bad contracts purge keep all of the draft picks and create a more favorable situation for the new regime.

Hall Of Fame
    I posted earlier in the thread that the new GM will probably not be available full time until after the draft. If that is the case, this group should trade down and out and get picks next year. This year fix the oline in the draft as they are less scheme specific.
    Agreed. This is where Woody needs to recognize the situation and put his need for headlines and attention away, and look towards the future health of his franchise.

that makes Bradway a candidate....

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Woody's lack of experience as an owner makes him rely on Bradway and Tanny. I wonder if he has developed any contacts or relationships he can trust for advice. It would take courage and planning to reach out of his circle. Hopefully he knows how to interview candidates because change will be needed.
    Not that there are better out there.

Eric DeCosta is the man they should be targeting. Every man has his price and so does Eric. Ozzie Newsome isnt retiring anytime soon and Eric knows that. Open up the vault, make him GM/Director of Football Operations with full control and he will come.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    I like this!
    I'm not sure why more people don't think Mangini would be a good front office guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I'm not sure why more people don't think Mangini would be a good front office guy.
    Because he is a Rat. A GM has a lot of people working for him and he has to work with a lot of people both in and out of the organization. No one wants to work for a guy who is not trustworthy.

Because he is a Rat. A GM has a lot of people working for him and he has to work with a lot of people both in and out of the organization. No one wants to work for a guy who is not trustworthy.
    TROLOL.

You'd think that no one would want to work with a guy who broke up some poor guy's marriage.

You'd think no one would want to work with a guy who stole a million bucks from an owner who trusted him as an employee.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...9/11/mmqb0911/

From Brady-ballwasher and Pats* fan, Peeetah King:

I've known the parties involved, Belichick and Bill Parcells, since covering the Giants for Newsday in the mid-'80s. I got to know Parcells better over the years while my relationship with Belichick was fairly superficial. Though he tried to convince me otherwise at training camp this year, I still believe to this day that Belichick jobbed the Jets by walking out on them. Most people would assume I come down on that side of the argument because I have a closer relationship with Parcells than I do with Belichick. Untrue. It's because Belichick had a contract with the Jets that said he would be the coach of the team as soon as Parcells quit, whenever that was. And a few months before the 1999 season -- not long before owner Leon Hess died -- Hess gave Belichick a $1 million bonus. Parcells told me it was to reinforce the terms of the contract and to thank Belichick for not taking any other head coaching jobs (in Chicago, Oakland or Kansas City). Belichick told me it was for a job well done and for not taking any of the three aforementioned jobs; thus, after the Jets' ownership change, he was free to take the New England job.

Therein lies the heart of this sordid story, which has been dredged up in Megalopolis a few more times this past week. Did the $1 million bonus Hess paid Belichick bind him to the Jets no matter who owned the team? I know people in both organizations, and there is great division on whether Belichick was contractually bound to stay in New York. My problem with the story is this: Whether Belichick was contractually bound is irrelevant. He was morally bound. He signed with the Jets to take over the day Parcells left. Walking out on the Jets was wrong.
    Who does want to work with him? Bob Kraft, a guy who cried crocodile tears for his sainted wife and then started banging some two-bit failed actress after he's played out all of the sympathy for a wife who he clearly didn't miss all that much.

Well tell me why a guy who at one time was considered one of the best young
    defensive minds in the game, can't get a job as a def back coach in this league or in college.

Like you pointed out, you cant understand why, well I told you why. It has nothing to do with spygate adnhim ratting out the team that I root for. On the pats fan site I posted that I thought he could help as a def back coach.

And as far as BB goes, I bet they are hundreds of nfl guys that can't stand him and won't work for him. What does BB being a dick, know it all, condescending bastard of a person have to do with Erik being a rat?

And BB take on the 1mill bonus not to take the KC deal was that Parcells was going to retire and not become the GM and BB's boss.
    Last edited by patman; 11-16-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

defensive minds in the game, can't get a job as a def back coach in this league or in college.

Like you pointed out, you cant understand why, well I told you why. It has nothing to do with spygate adnhim ratting out the team that I root for. On the pats fan site I posted that I thought he could help as a def back coach.

And as far as BB goes, I bet they are hundreds of nfl guys that can't stand him and won't work for him. What does BB being a dick, know it all, condescending bastard of a person have to do with Erik being a rat?

And BB take on the 1mill bonus not to take the KC deal was that Parcells was going to retire and not become the GM and BB's boss.
    Who said Mangini can't get a job? Did he even apply for any?

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Who said Mangini can't get a job? Did he even apply for any?
    No, I am sure that he is making a million dollars a year being on a cable tv show 5min a week. The guy has been out of work for three years! What is he burnt out at 40 YO after coaching for 5 years? in two more years most nfl fans would have forgotten him like Tom Cable.

And if you don't think his agent is trying to get him back into coaching your
    being delusional.

Problem with your theory is that Cleveland hired him after Spygate.

Bigger problem? He sh!t the bed as HC there. That's why he can't get a job as a HC. If I saw evidence that he was actively searching for a job I'd be more convinced that he's now blackballed.

Why not demote Tanny to beancounter and hire Mangini as the talent guy?
    When did Mangina all of a sudden become Mr Talent Evaluation Guru? Gholston, Schlegel, Clemens, both Smith duds, Anthony Clement, Von Oelhoffen, turning D-Rob into a Nose Tackle?

Ask Cleveland Browns fans about Mangina's expertise.

Bigger problem? He sh!t the bed as HC there. That's why he can't get a job as a HC. If I saw evidence that he was actively searching for a job I'd be more convinced that he's now blackballed.
    Mangini is an awful head coach. Horrible in Ny. Horrible in Cleveland. Pats' defense wasn't even good when he was the DC. For some crazy reason some Jets fans still think he's this prodigy. Why? That's a very good question.

Nothing to do with my theory, he was hired to be both the GM and HC by the owner. He is a "failure" as a head guy, I am talking about him working for someone else either in a personnel dept or as part of a coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    When did Mangina all of a sudden become Mr Talent Evaluation Guru? Gholston, Schlegel, Clemens, both Smith duds, Anthony Clement, Von Oelhoffen, turning D-Rob into a Nose Tackle?

Ask Cleveland Browns fans about Mangina's expertise.
    Come on man. I'm not saying he's the best in the business but be fair. When he was in the building they drafted Revis, Mangold, Brick, Keller, Lowery, Harris, Stuckey, brad smith, Eric smith, Leon Washington.