Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 77

Thread: Legitimate GM Candidates

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He is the best out there, but he has also been given every indication that he will be able to take over Baltimore when Ozzie retires, which I believe is not too far off.

    Personally the Falcons guy would have come up under Dimitroff which makes him very appealing in my opinion.
    Eagle, Ozzie is only 56. my understanding is that there is an agreement for him to take over eventually. However I think Godell would intervene and ask Bisciotti to release him. (Rozzelle did it for the Giants with George Young from the fins) Check out this interview and compare it to Tanny. The guy went to a local high school and I had hoped he would join the pats, but who wants to play 2nd fiddle to BB?

    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/video...9-e264869fd2c0


    My take on a new look for the jets is Marty Shotehiemer for Dir of football ops. DeCosta for GM, Zimmer for Head Coach and Bobby Petrino for OC. tanny can stay for the cap, but not contracts.

    Smart, talented, experienced.
    Last edited by patman; 11-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,817
    What makes you think any of these men would want the Jets job?

    No cap room, no QB and a HC that the owner is going to force on you.

  3. #23
    Why not demote Tanny to beancounter and hire Mangini as the talent guy?

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,113
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What makes you think any of these men would want the Jets job?

    No cap room, no QB and a HC that the owner is going to force on you.
    I dont think Woody will force the new GM to keep Rex. That is incredibly unfair to the new GM to not be able to bring in the coach he wants. Thats why I think this whole regime will stay intact for at least another year.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,142
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Eagle, Ozzie is only 56. my understanding is that there is an agreement for him to take over eventually. However I think Godell would intervene and ask Bisciotti to release him. (Rozzelle did it for the Giants with George Young from the fins) Check out this interview and compare it to Tanny. The guy went to a local high school and I had hoped he would join the pats, but who wants to play 2nd fiddle to BB?

    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/video...9-e264869fd2c0


    My take on a new look for the jets is Marty Shotehiemer for Dir of football ops. DeCosta for GM, Zimmer for Head Coach and Bobby Petrino for OC. tanny can stay for the cap, but not contracts.

    Smart, talented, experienced.
    Thanks for the post/link... He seems like a good candidate.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Why not demote Tanny to beancounter and hire Mangini as the talent guy?
    I like this!

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What makes you think any of these men would want the Jets job?

    No cap room, no QB and a HC that the owner is going to force on you.
    Marty is out of the NFL, Eric is a Northeast guy and understands how the media is around here and he gets his promotion now and not in 7-10 years. Zimmer to me is a good fit, and Petrino is Zimmer's friend (Zimmer was his DC in Atlanta) and no College is going to be knocking on his door after spending University money on his mistress for at least a few more years.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,113
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Marty is out of the NFL, Eric is a Northeast guy and understands how the media is around here and he gets his promotion now and not in 7-10 years. Zimmer to me is a good fit, and Petrino is Zimmer's friend (Zimmer was his DC in Atlanta) and no College is going to be knocking on his door after spending University money on his mistress for at least a few more years.
    I would be afraid Marty would want to bring his son back in some capacity. Also, I think Petrino will get another college gig. Tennessee is desperate enough to give him a shot.

  9. #29
    GM: Eric Decosta (Ravens)
    HC: Rex Ryan (if Decosta is willing to audition him for year... I hope he does, I think Rex would work better under a different GM)
    OC: Norv Turner
    DC: Pettine

    If Rex gets canned

    HC: Bruce Arians
    OC: Norv Turner
    DC: Romeo Crennel

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I would be afraid Marty would want to bring his son back in some capacity. Also, I think Petrino will get another college gig. Tennessee is desperate enough to give him a shot.
    Petrino will not get another gig in the bible belt- no way. It will take years for him not to be too hot for an AD to take on.

    The director of football ops does not pick who the coaches are, that is a GM and HC job.

    The football ops guy is almost like a facilitator. all the logistics with traveling , who you play in preseason, training facilities, how the Scouting staff is assigned, regional? by conference? Media relations, Public relations. All the things that have to do with football but are not on the field. The football ops guy will advise on the GM, help interview the HC. he will be the go between the GM and the owner.
    Last edited by patman; 11-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    GM: Eric Decosta (Ravens)
    HC: Rex Ryan (if Decosta is willing to audition him for year... I hope he does, I think Rex would work better under a different GM)
    OC: Norv Turner
    DC: Pettine

    If Rex gets canned

    HC: Bruce Arians
    OC: Norv Turner
    DC: Romeo Crennel
    Norv Turner will not work with Rex, Rex embarrassed him publicly last year. And I don't think he would come in and run Arians system for him either. If Turner is the OC he is going to want total control of the offense, He will more likely work for a HC who is a Def guy.

  12. #32
    GM: Kevin Abrams (AGM of the Giants, you need more than just scouting prowess, and arguably nobody has drafted better or made better signings than the Giants. Abrams ties back to Accorsi who ties back to George Young. Abrams was the guy who didn't get picked over Reese. I'm amazed he's not a GM now)

    Head Coach: Jay Gruden. Need an offensive Head Coach willing to groom and develop a team.

    Offensive Coordinator: Chad Pennington. Chad's smart enough and has extensive experience in multiple systems. He'd be a hell of an offensive coordinator. He would also grow with the team and would be working with a very solid former offensive coordinator.

    Defensive Coordinator: I'd like to see Pettine without Rex. If that doesn't make sense then I like Jim Tomsula, the 49ers defensive line coach.

    Most importantly:

    You need to suck and get the first pick at some point to actually have first shot at a great player. I see serious suckage ahead next season with the cap issues and the lack of movement or indication of movement by Johnson. As such, I hope to hell we can get the first pick in the 2014 draft and take Clowney.

    At this point in time, I would almost say that a consistent and dominant pass rusher is the most important thing you can have. Especially if Revis is locked up for his career here and recovers well from the ACL.

    After that I'd like any QB not from USC and would greatly prefer an East Coast native.

    The worst case scenarios would be ending up with Barkley or Alex Smith somehow. Alex Smith is horrendous. Barkley is from USC. At this point if you take a QB from USC you should be shot.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    I don't believe DeCosta will leave Baltimore, so I'd say Marc Ross is my pick.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Eagle, Ozzie is only 56. my understanding is that there is an agreement for him to take over eventually. However I think Godell would intervene and ask Bisciotti to release him. (Rozzelle did it for the Giants with George Young from the fins) Check out this interview and compare it to Tanny. The guy went to a local high school and I had hoped he would join the pats, but who wants to play 2nd fiddle to BB?

    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/video...9-e264869fd2c0


    My take on a new look for the jets is Marty Shotehiemer for Dir of football ops. DeCosta for GM, Zimmer for Head Coach and Bobby Petrino for OC. tanny can stay for the cap, but not contracts.

    Smart, talented, experienced.
    I dont think decosta would want to take his potential one shot with the mess we have here.

    However, I cannot tell you how quickly I would sign up for a Zimmer-Petrino pairing (grt info btw, I had no clue they had a connection).

    Personally I think petrino is one of the most worthless POS on the planet (not for cheating, but for quitting in Atlanta and not even speaking to a man like arthur blank when he left), but as OC, his character really doesnt matter and Zimmer is a very strong presence.

    That combination of defensive and offensive experience would be very solid IMO.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,735
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I dont think decosta would want to take his potential one shot with the mess we have here.

    However, I cannot tell you how quickly I would sign up for a Zimmer-Petrino pairing (grt info btw, I had no clue they had a connection).

    Personally I think petrino is one of the most worthless POS on the planet (not for cheating, but for quitting in Atlanta and not even speaking to a man like arthur blank when he left), but as OC, his character really doesnt matter and Zimmer is a very strong presence.

    That combination of defensive and offensive experience would be very solid IMO.
    Apparently being a POS is a great quality in a GM. Think Parcells, and Bellicheck. You know what they say about nice guys...they trade for Tebow

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    GM: Kevin Abrams (AGM of the Giants, you need more than just scouting prowess, and arguably nobody has drafted better or made better signings than the Giants. Abrams ties back to Accorsi who ties back to George Young. Abrams was the guy who didn't get picked over Reese. I'm amazed he's not a GM now)

    Head Coach: Jay Gruden. Need an offensive Head Coach willing to groom and develop a team.

    Offensive Coordinator: Chad Pennington. Chad's smart enough and has extensive experience in multiple systems. He'd be a hell of an offensive coordinator. He would also grow with the team and would be working with a very solid former offensive coordinator.

    Defensive Coordinator: I'd like to see Pettine without Rex. If that doesn't make sense then I like Jim Tomsula, the 49ers defensive line coach.

    Most importantly:

    You need to suck and get the first pick at some point to actually have first shot at a great player. I see serious suckage ahead next season with the cap issues and the lack of movement or indication of movement by Johnson. As such, I hope to hell we can get the first pick in the 2014 draft and take Clowney.

    At this point in time, I would almost say that a consistent and dominant pass rusher is the most important thing you can have. Especially if Revis is locked up for his career here and recovers well from the ACL.

    After that I'd like any QB not from USC and would greatly prefer an East Coast native.

    The worst case scenarios would be ending up with Barkley or Alex Smith somehow. Alex Smith is horrendous. Barkley is from USC. At this point if you take a QB from USC you should be shot.
    I too am on the Abrams band wagon. As far as HC, I think he would want to bring in someone like Coughlin. To me that guy is Todd Haley.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Apparently being a POS is a great quality in a GM. Think Parcells, and Bellicheck. You know what they say about nice guys...they trade for Tebow
    Whoa, big difference being a stern, strong leader who isnt afraid to bench people and being a person who quit his job and didnt have the sack to speak face to face with the man who hired him, especially when the man is someone like arthur blank.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Someone strong enough to say no to Woody and make it stick. That will limit the field considerably.

    On a side note I am happy that we seem to have moved from arguing whether it is is the right thing to fire Tanny at all to an assumption that it is going to happen and the only open questions now are when it actually happens and in what capacity (if any) will Mike Tannenbaum be allowed to stay on with the organization? Anything higher than tea boy is a mistake IMO.

    Thank God we have come to our collective senses! It took long enough.

    In a board often populated with insufferable idiots peddling some stupidity or other, the most personally offensive to me were the army of tannenites for whom Mike Tannenbaum walked on water and could never do any wrong. Ever. This meltdown has been in progress for YEARS and it should have been obvious to anyone who took the time to look closely. In my opinion it belongs to one man and one man only. Our GM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I dont think decosta would want to take his potential one shot with the mess we have here.

    However, I cannot tell you how quickly I would sign up for a Zimmer-Petrino pairing (grt info btw, I had no clue they had a connection).

    Personally I think petrino is one of the most worthless POS on the planet (not for cheating, but for quitting in Atlanta and not even speaking to a man like arthur blank when he left), but as OC, his character really doesnt matter and Zimmer is a very strong presence.

    That combination of defensive and offensive experience would be very solid IMO.
    I think your looking at DeCosta's decision from the wrong perspective. No fan of any team or TV talking head thinks the jets are a good team. (except Ray and SG3) There is no way to go but up. The jets finally have all their choices and will be in good shape cap wise after cutting Sanchez and Holmes in 2014. Plus, the local media
    does not expect the jets to ever be a successful team, there is less pressure from outside the organization. He does not want to take over the Saints, an aging team that is a SB threat for the last 4 years. There is a cliff.

    The situation with the owner is the other reason I want Marty to come in a DFO, to act as a go-between so DeCosta does not have to deal with Woody.
    Marty is a football guy and there are few guys who are more respected in the league.

    The new GM or personnel may not be able to leave team their team until after the draft anyway. But he may be able to advise on the jets own players. I know BB let Dimitroff and Pioli go in Jan but that might not be the case here. A lot of FO contracts go from May 1 to May 1.
    Last edited by patman; 11-16-2012 at 08:09 AM.

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Someone strong enough to say no to Woody and make it stick. That will limit the field considerably.

    On a side note I am happy that we seem to have moved from arguing whether it is is the right thing to fire Tanny at all to an assumption that it is going to happen and the only open questions now are when it actually happens and in what capacity (if any) will Mike Tannenbaum be allowed to stay on with the organization? Anything higher than tea boy is a mistake IMO.

    Thank God we have come to our collective senses! It took long enough.

    In a board often populated with insufferable idiots peddling some stupidity or other, the most personally offensive to me were the army of tannenites for whom Mike Tannenbaum walked on water and could never do any wrong. Ever. This meltdown has been in progress for YEARS and it should have been obvious to anyone who took the time to look closely. In my opinion it belongs to one man and one man only. Our GM.
    Pretty much spot on. Mirrors my sentiment exactly. We have been atching the deterioration of this team since Braylen's flip and Scott's "Cant Wait" in New England. Before this season, I felt bad for Rex because in order to can Tanny, he would be the collateral damage. Watching how bad this team handles themselves publicly, i am on record that we need to blow the whole thing up. No more quick fixes, no more shortcuts. Build a team that will sustain success. Make moves for the long term in mind.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us