Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: That's some 16th birthday party

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    The only thing more risqué would have been if the women were doing the Lambada...

"The forbidden dance".
    Over the years, I've had more than one woman Cha-Cha my face for their pleasure.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    We had to key punch cards to write programs in my high school computer science class. Back then, no such thing as a "personal computer" or communicating with a computer in English. Just maddening "languages" like Cobol and Fortran, to name two.
    +1

-

Veteran
    We had to key punch cards to write programs in my high school computer science class. Back then, no such thing as a "personal computer" or communicating with a computer in English. Just maddening "languages" like Cobol and Fortran, to name two.
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    +1

-
    PDP-8 teminal FTW.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    PDP-8 teminal FTW.

I operated one of these bad boys once

And yes, I can remember our company having a huge, massive refrigerated room full of these suckers.

Hall Of Fame
    yep

had to hand the cards in

got em' back with a note "won't run -infinite loop".

you pretty much had to fix the errors yourself. which if I could, I wouldn't have made the error in the first place.

also remember monitor screens with nothing except a flashing cursor. very exciting when the orange characters were replaced with the new age, sleek, green characters.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 11-15-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Over the years, I've had more than one woman Cha-Cha my face for their pleasure.
    that can give you Bell's Palsy.

All League
    We had to key punch cards
    You had punch cards? We had old playing cards that we had to poke holes in with our pencils.

Jets Insider VIP
    Was there soccer involved?

That would increase the charges.

-
    i think this is what you meant

All Pro
    There's been bar mitzvahs with more action

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    PDP-8 teminal FTW.

Right? How much do I want to smash that thing for all the torment it caused me?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    yep

had to hand the cards in

got em' back with a note "won't run -infinite loop".

you pretty much had to fix the errors yourself. which if I could, I wouldn't have made the error in the first place.

also remember monitor screens with nothing except a flashing cursor. very exciting when the orange characters were replaced with the new age, sleek, green characters.
    Exactly. I went to a Christian Brothers School and Brother Kevin was not very accommodating when dealing with "stupid questions" from us "wise fools".

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    You had punch cards? We had old playing cards that we had to poke holes in with our pencils.
    You had pencils? Our school day began at sunup with us trapping, killing, and de-feathering local birds to begin the arduous quill fashioning process.

Plus, all our computers were coal-fired, so you had to make sure you had enough bauxite rich coal available, and were able to stoke it constantly during your program run. If not, pffft, your program was lost and you received a failing grade.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Exactly. I went to a Christian Brothers School and Brother Kevin was not very accommodating when dealing with "stupid questions" from us "wise fools"
    I went to a Christian Bros. school too. The brothers there also loved the "wise fools" line.

You had pencils? Our school day began at sunup with us trapping, killing, and de-feathering local birds to begin the arduous quill fashioning process.

Plus, all our computers were coal-fired, so you had to make sure you had enough bauxite rich coal available, and were able to stoke it constantly during your program run. If not, pffft, your program was lost and you received a failing grade.
    LOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

-

Hall Of Fame
    Right? How much do I want to smash that thing for all the torment it caused me?

Exactly. I went to a Christian Brothers School and Brother Kevin was not very accommodating when dealing with "stupid questions" from us "wise fools".

one word or phrase can be the difference between a very good post and a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I went to a Christian Bros. school too. The brothers there also loved the "wise fools" line.
    Those guys were nuts. If you got on the wrong side of even the most even-tempered brother (smart alec line, talking in class after having been admonished, etc.), you might wind up with a huge slap across the face.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    one word or phrase can be the difference between a very good post and a great post.
    Thanks for noticing, gents. (Or, "gentlemen", as the brothers would call us.)

Jets Insider VIP

First post ever in JI history to ever use the word 'bauxite'

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

Those guys were nuts. If you got on the wrong side of even the most even-tempered brother (smart alec line, talking in class after having been admonished, etc.), you might wind up with a huge slap across the face.
    LOL - reminds me so much of that movie 'Heaven Help Us' - great movie.

I went to a Catholic High School, and those Christian Brothers were bastards. I guess they weren't good enough (or cool enough) to become priests, I dont know. I've been a Catholic my entire life and I still can't figure that one out.

There was this one big-ass dude - probably about the size of old, fat Rex Ryan - but taller, and far more menacing looking - even with the giant black muumuu that he wore. He was the VP/disciplinarian guy.

As big as he was, you could never hear him coming. I think glided than actually walked, you could never see his feet - for all we know he had wheels under there.

I'd seen this guy pick up kids by their neck and hold up against their locker - with their feet not touching the ground. You could never get away with any of this crap now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    First post ever in JI history to ever use the word 'bauxite'

LOL - reminds me so much of that movie 'Heaven Help Us' - great movie.

I went to a Catholic High School, and those Christian Brothers were bastards. I guess they weren't good enough (or cool enough) to become priests, I dont know. I've been a Catholic my entire life and I still can't figure that one out.

There was this one big-ass dude - probably about the size of old, fat Rex Ryan - but taller, and far more menacing looking - even with the giant black muumuu that he wore. He was the VP/disciplinarian guy.

As big as he was, you could never hear him coming. I think glided than actually walked, you could never see his feet - for all we know he had wheels under there.

I'd seen this guy pick up kids by their neck and hold up against their locker - with their feet not touching the ground. You could never get away with any of this crap now.
    I'm chuckling at your story, but deep down still scared I'm gonna get whacked for it. All of us who went through those schools have similar stories.

The one which put the fear of God into us at my high school involved a brother who flew over his desk to grab a kid, then hang him by his ankles out a window. All this for having the gumption to "answer back". This was from the third story of the building.

Like you, I never got the whole Christian Brother concept. You're not a fully fledged priest, but you still can't marry? WTF?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Like you, I never got the whole Christian Brother concept. You're not a fully fledged priest, but you still can't marry? WTF?
    Its a perfect situation for weirdos...3 hots and a cot, access to teenaged boys and other men who dont want to get married...and you dont have say Mass, go to wakes.... or entertain self-important old biddy holy rollers.

-

Its a perfect situation for weirdos...3 hots and a cot, access to teenaged boys and other men who dont want to get married...and you dont have say Mass, go to wakes.... or entertain self-important old biddy holy rollers.

-
    You nailed it perfectly. Never thought of it this way.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

You nailed it perfectly. Never thought of it this way.
    I'm applying for a position locally, bought a new belt.

-

so this thread went from teenagers partying with strippers, to war stories of old 'puterz and Catholic School abuse.

well done, Hampur