Thread: What do you think about QB Brad Sorensen?

What do you think about QB Brad Sorensen?

Good size, big arm, tough, quick release. Probably a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick......
    http://nflmocks.com/2012/07/17/brad-...outing-report/

Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:47 pm by Mackenzie PantojaNFL Draft
    Home Ľ NFL Draft Ľ Brad Sorensen- 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report
    Positives:
    +Strongest arm of the draft class
    +Composure
    +Escapability in the pocket
    +Release
    +Footwork
    +Accuracy
    +Decision making
    +Keen sense of the blitz
    +Production
    +Makes solid pre-snap reads
    Negatives:
    -FCS competition
    -Remarkably heavy feet
    -Struggles to repeat his mechanics
    -Constantly locks onto receivers
    -System offense
    -Never done a 3 step drop
    -When he misses, he misses high (more likely to cause interceptions)
    Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen (transfer from BYU) is one of the more underrated prospects of this draft class. I want to start off by admitting Iíve only seen him play one game. In most cases, I donít feel comfortable writing a scouting report on a player unless I see him play two or three times, but I have to make exceptions for FCS prospects, because it isnít easy for me to get game film on them. But let me tell you, against Northern Arizona, he looked pretty good, and he looked like he had the potential to be excellent in the NFL, although he may be a high risk/high reward prospect.
    Sorensen has good size but poor speed. At 6í4, he has solid height (although he looks a bit closer to 6í2 on film), he has ideal bulk at 235lbs (big enough to avoid injury, but not excessive), but he has very poor speed, evidence by his film as well as his 4.96 40 yard dash. Sorensen has a solid body for an NFL quarterback.
    Sorensen has excellent stats. In 2011, he completed 67.8% of his passes while throwing for 3143 yards in only 11 games (short schedule in the FCS), while throwing 17 touchdowns but 11 interceptions. 3143 yards in only 11 games is terrific, but the 11 interceptions are reason for concern. On the other hand, he got stronger as the season went on, having a quarterback rating of 146 in his last 3 games (compared to 137 on the season), and he was clearly a bit unlucky from a touchdown standpoint last season. In the FBS, no quarterback threw for over 3100 yards, had less than 14 interceptions, yet still had less than 23 touchdowns. But Sorensen only had 17 touchdowns, so the numbers were clearly unusual. Sorensen has solid stats.
    Sorensen has phenomenal throw power, probably the best throw power of any quarterback in this yearís draft class. There was one play against Northern Arizona that really stood out from a throw power stand point. In the first drive of the game, on 3rd and at least 20, Sorensen dropped back to pass, ducked right under a potential sack from a defensive end, scrambled forward to evade the pressure, and, at the last second, hurled the ball to a receiver deep down field. The throw sailed 53 yards. It may not sound all too impressive, but his FEET WERENíT SET when he made the throw. There is no quarterback in this draft class who can hurl the football 53 yards while throwing on the run. The pass wasnít caught (hit his receivers fingertips but he couldnít reel it in), but it was still quite impressive. Sorensen also puts excellent zip on his passes, and he makes sure to have a nice touch on his deep ball. Sorensen has a cannon for an arm and is really the only gunslinger in this draft class.
    Sorensen has excellent accuracy. There are times when he has very poor mechanics, but he can be surprisingly accurate even when his mechanics are poor. He throws a beautiful deep ball, he has a keen instinct for knowing how much zip he should put on his passes, and he rarely misses his targets. He also is remarkably accurate on the run and during roll outs. On the downside, when he misses, he misses high, which is a major red flag, since throwing above your target (especially over the middle) can lead to lots and lots of interceptions. He also has a tendency to throw behind receivers that are running horizontal routes, the result of a footwork problem I will delve into later.
    Something I canít help but love with Sorensen is his coolness and composure with every aspect of playing quarterback. Something Iíve always hated are quarterbacks who ďplay like their hair is on fire,Ē i.e. Kyle Boller, Blaine Gabbert, etc. These quarterbacks usually make crazy decisions when faced with the blitz, often string lots of interceptions consecutively, are very inconsistent, pull their hands out too early when taking the snap under center, drop lots of snaps when in the shotgun, and really rush their dropbacks, causing bad footwork in the pocket. Sorensen doesnít match any of these descriptions. He doesnít allow pressure to influence him to make crazy decisions, he has a short memory when it comes to interceptions, he is very relaxed and comfortable in the pocket, he constantly catches inaccurate snaps, and his dropbacks always keep him in a good position to make a throw. Speaking of which, he has a nice front shoulder drop at the end of his dropback, which can stabilize his shoulders heading into the throw.
    Sorensen is a solid decision maker, but there are flaws here. He never really makes bad decisions or forces his throws, but, at the same time, he has a tendency to lock onto receivers. Although he makes excellent pre-snap reads, considering the offense he plays in, he needs to do a better job of not locking onto those reads as soon as he gets the ball. Most plays that Southern Utah runs take a long time to develop, because they donít incorporate any kind of West Coast offense like quick passing game, and routes like the dig, post, and fly take a long time to be completed. For example, on the dig route, it generally takes a receiver about 3 seconds to get 12 yards downfield and then make a sharp cut inside and get open. But, in the NFL, if a quarterback stares down a receiver for 3 seconds waiting for him to get open, someone on the defense in going to notice the QB staring at him and make sure the receiver canít get the ball. Luckily, if he realizes his primary receiver isnít open, Sorensen is smart enough to not force the throw, but he still needs to do a better job of hiding his intentions. Again, Sorensen never forces throws, but he needs to learn not to lock onto receivers.
    Sorensen has pretty good mechanics, but there are flaws here. The biggest flaw is that he struggles to repeat his delivery (a phrase usually seen in the scouting reports of baseball pitchers), especially on the follow through. When the ball is out of the quarterbackís hands, his hips should be facing the target, his back foot should be dragging toward the target, and his front foot should be pointed toward the target. Sorensen has a tendency not to open up his hips enough on the follow through, which often causes passes to be thrown to far to the right and be thrown a bit too low. The funny thing is that his arm and feet have adjusted to this flaw in his mechanics. On many throws, Sorensenís feet are angled in a way where the ball should theoretically go to the left of the target, but problems with his follow through make the ball go to the right of the target, and, on most plays (especially over the middle), these flaws cancel each other out resulting in a perfect throw. The problem is that, on all throw to receivers running routes that arenít completely vertical and are 12 to 30 yards down the field (the post is a good example), Sorensen has to follow through just to get enough zip on his passes so no one can jump the route. Again, his footwork and his arm mechanics are adjusted so that he is accurate when he doesnít follow through enough. When he does follow through, the ball sails high and to the left, and it is often an interception. There arenít a lot of quarterbacks that have perfect mechanics, and these throws, though not uncommon, donít need to be made on every play in the NFL, but it is still a reason for concern. Normally, the lack of a follow through also results in slow passes, but Sorensenís arm is strong enough that he can get away with it on most passes. He also has a quick release. Sorensen has solid, although no perfect, mechanics.
    Sorensen has some incredibly heavy feet. Iím pretty sure he has cinder blocks tied around his cleats that make it hard for him to pick up his feet on most throws. His feet are so heavy that much of Southern Utahís offense is designed around his heavy, heavy feet. They donít allow him to make 3 step drops or throw quick passes, simply because he canít adjust his feet to the position of the receiver in a short time. His heavy feet make it nearly impossible for him to make throws to receivers who are at an angle <30 degrees relative to the line of scrimmage, so hitch routes and outs are nearly out of the question (when they are used, he consistently throws it behind the receiver). To be frank he canít ďmake all the throwsĒ because of his heavy feet. But, if he goes to an offense similar to that of Southern Utah, he could still have success in the NFL.
    Itís rare that you see the phrases ďheavy feetĒ and ďlots of escapability in the pocketĒ used in the same sentence, but thatís honestly a good description of Sorensen. Sorensen can really evade the blitz well in the pocket, namely because he is fantastic at ducking under tacklers when under pressure (he ducks under guys all the time. It never stops. I donít know how he does it), plus Iím 99% sure he has eyes in the back of his head that tell him when pressure is coming from his blindside. He seems to put himself in the only position in the pocket not surrounded by penetrating pass rushers, he stays low and ducks under potential tacklers better than any quarterback I have ever seen, he is very poised under pressure, and he seems to know where every defensive linemen is on the field as the play is going on. I canít help but wonder if offensive linemen on Southern Utah are told to yell something when someone is penetrating their block, because Sorensen seems to have an unbelievable knowledge of where pass rushers are coming from, and he always finds a way to buy some time in the pocket and make a throw right before getting sacked. Itís truly spectacular.
    Ultimately, I like Sorensen. I think his combination of throw power, accuracy, and good decision making will take him very far in the NFL
    NFL Comparison: John Skelton, except he is a much better decision maker and he gets high marks on everything mentioned in paragraph 6 (composure, calmness, etc.).
    Grade: 80 (worthy of a mid to early second round pick)
    Projection: 72 (will be a late third round pick)
    If you want to continue the conversation about the NFL Draft, like NFL Mocks on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/NFLMocks and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/NFLMocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jORMM1DxVPs

I don't know anything about him but I am in favor of drafting a Qb in the 2nd or 3rd round as opposed to taking the 1st round risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't know anything about him but I am in favor of drafting a Qb in the 2nd or 3rd round as opposed to taking the 1st round risk.
    Kellen Clemens says "hi!"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So does Andy Dalton

You want to subject another rookie QB to this regime?

The Success rates on 2nd round QBs are really low. You take one as an emergency back up not as your starter. If this team is serious about winning they will go after one of the top 4 QBs in this draft. If not we are back to the same crap we have been doing for years now. Sanchez may have went top 5 but was not a 1st round value and every other team knew it. He was a project QB people hyped for no good reason. I said it then and I will still say it now. If we end up with anther 4 year project that ends at the tunnel to no where I'll be pissed. We hit the panic button when we drafted Sanchez because Ainge didn't work out. If Berkley, Wilson, or Brey is on the board for the love of god take one of them. It is simply the right move this year. I have nothing against Geno but I'd just rather the others. Geno just seems like the bigger risk of that group which is not a bad group.

I see him as next years Flacco. Will be interesting to see where he ends up, project or not don't think I'd pass him up at a late 2 or early 3, unless a need position drastically falls.

The phrase "comparison is to John Skelton" isnt a good thing to read

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    I see him as next years Flacco. Will be interesting to see where he ends up, project or not don't think I'd pass him up at a late 2 or early 3, unless a need position drastically falls.
    A 6'2" Flacco is not a good thing. That said, I'd be happy with him late 3rd round or below. I doubt he'd get the chance to show what he has anyway though. I'd like to see what McElroy has right now. We need OLBs, Olinemen, and a few RBs(3rd round or later). Hopefully we find some way of getting some extra 3rd, and 4th round picks this year, then we could roll the dice on a guy like this.

I know its against Mountain West and less NCAA teams but he doesn't look small to me on film. Throws ropes too, and moves surprisingly well compared to that report.....

Banned
    I know its against Mountain West and less NCAA teams but he doesn't look small to me on film. Throws ropes too, and moves surprisingly well compared to that report.....
    Southern Utah plays in the Big Sky conference, not Mountain West.

Huge difference between the two.

No ****.....
    UNLV on the highlite reel is a Mountain West team and he had a big game against them although they are pretty bad.
    BUT he had a big game this year against Cal which TEX is in the Pac 12 a much stronger division division then the Mountain West.

BTW- I'm sure if the Pats draft the guy you'll be blowing him hard....just saying!

Banned
    No ****.....
    UNLV on the highlite reel is a Mountain West team and he had a big game against them although they are pretty bad.
    BUT he had a big game this year against Cal which TEX is in the Pac 12 a much stronger division division then the Mountain West.

BTW- I'm sure if the Pats draft the guy you'll be blowing him hard....just saying!
    Did I say anywhere that Sorensen would not be a good NFL prospect?

Don't know enough about him to form an opinion.

But here are the teams he went up against in the Big Sky conference:

Montana State
    Cal Poly
    Eastern Washington
    Northern Arizona
    Sacramento State
    Southern Utah
    Montana
    North Dakota
    Northern Colorado
    Portland State
    UC Davis
    Weber State
    Idaho State

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Did I say anywhere that Sorensen would not be a good NFL prospect?

Don't know enough about him to form an opinion.

But here are the teams he went up against in the Big Sky conference:

Montana State
    Cal Poly
    Eastern Washington
    Northern Arizona
    Sacramento State
    Southern Utah
    Montana
    North Dakota
    Northern Colorado
    Portland State
    UC Davis
    Weber State
    Idaho State
    Southern Utah is no UMass.

I say hi back. What did Clemens cost this team? A yer or two of failure in which the team sucked anyways. What has Sanchez cost us? A hell of a
    lot more.

Dump Sanchezs ass after next year. Trade for or sign a serviceable vet, draft a 2,3,4th round QB and actually develop the guy as we rebuild the rest of the team. Hell even the sure fire huge 1st year stars like Newton are suddenly looking suspect.

I'd much rather draft Derek Carr out of Fresno State. I've watched him all season, mostly because I go there, but the guy is a very smart player. Loves to throw the ball short, but can make all the throws, he has a very beautiful long ball and doesn't make many bad passes, very mobile and can use his feet to get a first down when needed. Sitting at over 3200 yards passing, 32 TD's and 5 Int's on the season right now, and leading us to a conference title for the first time since 1999, something even his brother David couldn't do. I believe he's had 3 400 yard games this season and another 3-4 5 TD games as well as a 560 yard 7 TD 0 INT game. I would love for him to stay another season so we can compete for another conference championship, he is able to run a wide open no huddle offense as he is doing this year and a pro style offense as he did last year under Pat Hill. The only games lost this season were at Oregon (the closest game Oregon has had all year), at Boise and at Tulsa (lost by 1 after 2 missed PAT's and a missed FG). I've heard him say he is leaning towards the draft this year, and I don't blame him, he is putting up huge numbers and leading a good team to a huge conference championship.

Highlights at Oregon
    http://youtu.be/_ecXmHzF0hI

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So does Andy Dalton
    Who?

Is that the dude in Cincy with no titles and no playoff wins yet?

Trade for or sign a serviceable vet.
    Boomber Esiason and Neil O'Donnell says hi.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Who?

Is that the dude in Cincy with no titles and no playoff wins yet?

Boomber Esiason and Neil O'Donnell says hi.
    I dunno WF......you may laugh when you hear this....

But it truly may be a "process" up there in Cincy. Sure he has proven nothing, but he is at least offering progression.

http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/profile

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So does Andy Dalton
    and Favre

Andy Dalton is having himself a far better year then Sanchez has ever had and he's in year two....