Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Dear ESPN: Nobody Cares about Tim Tebow

  1. #1

    Dear ESPN: Nobody Cares about Tim Tebow

    Allow me to preface this short essay with the following message: I am a fan of the New York Jets and New York Yankees. This is not a piece written to defend the idiocy of the Jets front office or to draw attention to the ever expanding disparity between the two franchises. It is a merely one fans opinion of the state of the "sports" media. Newsflash to all of you beat writers disseminating the inside scoops of your teams to all of us outsiders: no fans care about the melodrama. There are no fans siting at home or work on their laptops waiting for #quarterbackControversy to pop up on their twitter feed. Please reserve such simplicities and rumors to the entertainment industry.

    Allow me to illuminate the situation for those of you who haven't been on espn's website in the past year. Last April, the jets traded for Tim tebow, a backup quarterback. A man who had a stupendous college career and who has enjoyed limited success in the NFL through anomalous and statistically improbable comebacks. As such, (did I mention he's a devout Christian?) he's become a media darling. The issue is, these reporters have become such slaves to their own biases and agendas, they've lost the pulse of the people. The fact is that that no fan of any franchise cares. Nobody cares. Nobody cares that a 3-6 team is in turmoil. Do you want to know why? Because they are a 3-6 team and nobody cares about 3-6 teams. Not even rival fans. They're sick of it. Everyone is.

    I began this article by mentioning I'm a Yankees fan for a purpose. The past two years the Red Sox had significant issues pervasive throughout their front office and club house. There were anonymous reports left and right that players wanted bobby valentine fired, pitchers were drinking in the clubhouse, and one player was supposedly playing golf on a day he was scheduled to pitch but couldn't because of injury. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't giddy with schadenfreude for one whole hour. The fact of the matter was, it was newsworthy because the Red Sox were poised to make the playoffs before they fell off the face of the earth. The 2012 season played out very differently. The squad was mediocre, yet for some reason, then coverage exploded to 24/7. But guess what? Nobody cared. Nobody cared because the Red Sox were a sub .500 ball club. Yet you couldn't go one day without clandestine player meetings being blared across the mediaverse. Nobody cared. Not even Yankees fans.

    Watching a bad team go down further isn't like watching a proverbial plane crash in slow motion. It's like watching in real time as an eight year old kid lights a generic cardboard box on fire. You know who cares about that? His mom. And that's who cares about Tim Tebow and mark Sanchez vying for the jets starting job even though this whole controversy was the putrid offspring of cultish university of Florida fans and ESpN. Moms. You know what else moms like? The food network and US weekly. That's not to say that Mom's can't be fans...I know some Mom's that wil take you to school on the Ravens. So please ESPN don't become E!SPN: the entertainment and sports network. I know you're owned by a mouse but let's keep sports the last bastion of American freedom. A place where fans can read about a red hot Saints team who just upset a perfect Falcons season without being bombarded with reports that Magic Johnson blasted the lakers front office when all he said was "I disagree with the signing of Mike D'Antoni." We get it, it's about ratings, but can't we keep sportscenter about sports and not whether Lebron's hipster glasses are prescription or not. Lets keep sports about sports not about ratings. In conclusion, nobody cares about the jets besides jets fans because they're a bad team. Please stop writing he said, she said articles. Nobody cares. Thank you.

  2. #2
    I do. He is the best football player on our team right now.

  3. #3
    Nationally he is the biggest player and draw on the jets. ESPN is not a New York station. Fans nationally do care about Tebow stories. Do you think a casual NFC fan cares that Sanchez is completing 50% of his passes?

  4. #4
    yeah Rex said "He's a good football player"


    8 million times

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bucks County, Pa
    Posts
    1,375
    ESPN became the "National Enquirer" of sports a long time ago.

  6. #6

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Newsflash to all of you beat writers disseminating the inside scoops of your teams to all of us outsiders: no fans care about the melodrama. There are no fans siting at home or work on their laptops waiting for #quarterbackControversy to pop up on their twitter feed. Please reserve such simplicities and rumors to the entertainment industry.

    So please ESPN don't become E!SPN: the entertainment and sports network. I know you're owned by a mouse but let's keep sports the last bastion of American freedom. A place where fans can read about a red hot Saints team who just upset a perfect Falcons season without being bombarded with reports that Magic Johnson blasted the lakers front office when all he said was "I disagree with the signing of Mike D'Antoni." We get it, it's about ratings, but can't we keep sportscenter about sports and not whether Lebron's hipster glasses are prescription or not. Lets keep sports about sports not about ratings. In conclusion, nobody cares about the jets besides jets fans because they're a bad team. Please stop writing he said, she said articles. Nobody cares. Thank you.
    Right on the money! I was thinking about this earlier today, the sports writers and talking heads have turned into the National Enquirer lately. What do I care who Sanchez is banging? I don't give a sh*t about the supposed "locker room meltdown", cuz there probably isn't one, it was probably manufactured by the media. Ever since we got 24 hour sports channels and 24 hour news channels it's one melodrama after another. Surprisingly (tongue in cheek) it goes on 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

    Seriously, last year when Tebow played for the Broncs a camera would go to Elway's expression as he was watching the game, and then the sportscasters would "interpret" what that look meant. Freaking psychic hotline much? Elway has kind of a fish face anyway, he could have just been holding in a fart for all I know, but apparently ESPN knows.

    I only disagree with you about us Gator fans ... I'm not frothing at the mouth ... mouth ..... slobber .... give us a break, we have the Jags, the Fins, and the Bucs. Can we help it that our college teams are more exciting to watch? There's a lot of small towns between Jacksonville and Atlanta, so a lot of Florida and Georgia folks rabidly root for the Gators or the Bulldogs. The Gators probably have as many fans as most pro football teams - even people who never went to college or graduated high school love the Gators around here.

    Tebow was a completely different phenomenon, though. He broke the SEC rushing touchdown record held by Herschel Walker (a local legend around here), he set all kinds of records, he was amazing to watch and the whole team worked so great together it was unbelievable. Tebow busted his a$$ giving the best he could for the team, just like Percy Harvin, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Sparks, Riley Cooper, the Pouncey twins, and a whole bunch of great athletes in the NFL right now. Sometimes I switch over to a Vikes or Pats game just to see how they're doing. But I didn't become a fan of their team like I did with Tebow. Tebow makes us feel like anything is possible, like if you just work your a$$ off you'll get far in life. I used to believe that too.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is if you think of the "Gators" like you would a pro team*, you might understand the fan loyalty. It's the same way you feel about the Jets.

    *DISCLAIMER: I'm not implying that the Gators could beat a pro team, so don't go there.

    p.s. if you say I sound like a girl I will hurt you

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Fr:NYC to Mid Ga.
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    Allow me to preface this short essay with the following message: I am a fan of the New York Jets and New York Yankees. This is not a piece written to defend the idiocy of the Jets front office or to draw attention to the ever expanding disparity between the two franchises. It is a merely one fans opinion of the state of the "sports" media. Newsflash to all of you beat writers disseminating the inside scoops of your teams to all of us outsiders: no fans care about the melodrama. There are no fans siting at home or work on their laptops waiting for #quarterbackControversy to pop up on their twitter feed. Please reserve such simplicities and rumors to the entertainment industry.

    Allow me to illuminate the situation for those of you who haven't been on espn's website in the past year. Last April, the jets traded for Tim tebow, a backup quarterback. A man who had a stupendous college career and who has enjoyed limited success in the NFL through anomalous and statistically improbable comebacks. As such, (did I mention he's a devout Christian?) he's become a media darling. The issue is, these reporters have become such slaves to their own biases and agendas, they've lost the pulse of the people. The fact is that that no fan of any franchise cares. Nobody cares. Nobody cares that a 3-6 team is in turmoil. Do you want to know why? Because they are a 3-6 team and nobody cares about 3-6 teams. Not even rival fans. They're sick of it. Everyone is.

    I began this article by mentioning I'm a Yankees fan for a purpose. The past two years the Red Sox had significant issues pervasive throughout their front office and club house. There were anonymous reports left and right that players wanted bobby valentine fired, pitchers were drinking in the clubhouse, and one player was supposedly playing golf on a day he was scheduled to pitch but couldn't because of injury. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't giddy with schadenfreude for one whole hour. The fact of the matter was, it was newsworthy because the Red Sox were poised to make the playoffs before they fell off the face of the earth. The 2012 season played out very differently. The squad was mediocre, yet for some reason, then coverage exploded to 24/7. But guess what? Nobody cared. Nobody cared because the Red Sox were a sub .500 ball club. Yet you couldn't go one day without clandestine player meetings being blared across the mediaverse. Nobody cared. Not even Yankees fans.

    Watching a bad team go down further isn't like watching a proverbial plane crash in slow motion. It's like watching in real time as an eight year old kid lights a generic cardboard box on fire. You know who cares about that? His mom. And that's who cares about Tim Tebow and mark Sanchez vying for the jets starting job even though this whole controversy was the putrid offspring of cultish university of Florida fans and ESpN. Moms. You know what else moms like? The food network and US weekly. That's not to say that Mom's can't be fans...I know some Mom's that wil take you to school on the Ravens. So please ESPN don't become E!SPN: the entertainment and sports network. I know you're owned by a mouse but let's keep sports the last bastion of American freedom. A place where fans can read about a red hot Saints team who just upset a perfect Falcons season without being bombarded with reports that Magic Johnson blasted the lakers front office when all he said was "I disagree with the signing of Mike D'Antoni." We get it, it's about ratings, but can't we keep sportscenter about sports and not whether Lebron's hipster glasses are prescription or not. Lets keep sports about sports not about ratings. In conclusion, nobody cares about the jets besides jets fans because they're a bad team. Please stop writing he said, she said articles. Nobody cares. Thank you.
    This thread phails. Cause I care about Tim Tebow

  8. #8
    I'm sick of the Tebow fans on this website. I can't wait for it to just b jets fans again

  9. #9
    I care about Tebow.

    I care about why we've been so totally unable to utilize him productively.

    I care why he won't get to start given how horrific Sanchez's play has been.

    I care if he will or will not be a Jet in 2013.

    I care about whose idea it really was to aquire Tebow, and what they thought they'd gain from it really.

    Plenty to care about Tebow about.

  10. #10
    Missing from Warfish's care list: ESPN.

    Some of you could learn a thing or two from Warfish.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,148
    Even Phil Simms has joined the flamer parade. We feed the frenzy so the media is our monster.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by samoljets View Post
    I'm sick of the Tebow fans on this website. I can't wait for it to just b jets fans again
    Don't be such a baby. Suck it up. You know you like having someone to argue with

    Warfish, I think the point is how the media bloviates, agitates, and fabricates a nonexistent locker room meltdown. Anything to get a "story". Then the whole cycle starts over. And over. And over. Because right now we suck so bad the only thing the media can find to talk about is .... tabloid BS.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Right on the money! I was thinking about this earlier today, the sports writers and talking heads have turned into the National Enquirer lately. What do I care who Sanchez is banging? I don't give a sh*t about the supposed "locker room meltdown", cuz there probably isn't one, it was probably manufactured by the media. Ever since we got 24 hour sports channels and 24 hour news channels it's one melodrama after another. Surprisingly (tongue in cheek) it goes on 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

    Seriously, last year when Tebow played for the Broncs a camera would go to Elway's expression as he was watching the game, and then the sportscasters would "interpret" what that look meant. Freaking psychic hotline much? Elway has kind of a fish face anyway, he could have just been holding in a fart for all I know, but apparently ESPN knows.

    I only disagree with you about us Gator fans ... I'm not frothing at the mouth ... mouth ..... slobber .... give us a break, we have the Jags, the Fins, and the Bucs. Can we help it that our college teams are more exciting to watch? There's a lot of small towns between Jacksonville and Atlanta, so a lot of Florida and Georgia folks rabidly root for the Gators or the Bulldogs. The Gators probably have as many fans as most pro football teams - even people who never went to college or graduated high school love the Gators around here.

    Tebow was a completely different phenomenon, though. He broke the SEC rushing touchdown record held by Herschel Walker (a local legend around here), he set all kinds of records, he was amazing to watch and the whole team worked so great together it was unbelievable. Tebow busted his a$$ giving the best he could for the team, just like Percy Harvin, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Sparks, Riley Cooper, the Pouncey twins, and a whole bunch of great athletes in the NFL right now. Sometimes I switch over to a Vikes or Pats game just to see how they're doing. But I didn't become a fan of their team like I did with Tebow. Tebow makes us feel like anything is possible, like if you just work your a$$ off you'll get far in life. I used to believe that too.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is if you think of the "Gators" like you would a pro team*, you might understand the fan loyalty. It's the same way you feel about the Jets.

    *DISCLAIMER: I'm not implying that the Gators could beat a pro team, so don't go there.

    p.s. if you say I sound like a girl I will hurt you
    you don't sound like a girl any more than any of the other tebow fans that relocated here

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Don't be such a baby. Suck it up. You know you like having someone to argue with

    Warfish, I think the point is how the media bloviates, agitates, and fabricates a nonexistent locker room meltdown. Anything to get a "story". Then the whole cycle starts over. And over. And over. Because right now we suck so bad the only thing the media can find to talk about is .... tabloid BS.
    I've said this before, but there are apparently some Jets fans who would rather go down in flames than root for a team that allows Tebow to start under center. It's a stigma issue at this point. Sanchez has already gone down in flames.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Guck the Fiants View Post
    ESPN became the "National Enquirer" of sports a long time ago.
    Yup.


    The E in ESPN stands for entertainment. That should tell you a lot.
    Unfortunately, so many people fail to realize they feed into this crap.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by samoljets View Post
    I'm sick of the Tebow fans on this website. I can't wait for it to just b jets fans again
    +1

    It's kinda hard for me to respect being a "fan" in this fashion.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    +1

    It's kinda hard for me to respect being a "fan" in this fashion.
    Did the Jets get any new fans after "Hard Knocks"? Any new fans after signing Sanchez? Anybody convert their girlfriend into a Jets fan? Watch any games with your kids? Do you think Revis's family will remain Jets fans if he goes to another team? If you don't bring in new fans, who will root for the Jets when you die?

    What's there to dislike about the few T-fans here? The calls to start Tebow began with the original Jets fans, not the T-fans. So wassup? The more fans the merrier.

  18. #18
    I care about Tebow too. And I am intelligent enough not to blame the way the media operates on a player. Whether it's Tebow or anyone else, media will always look for stories and they will continue to be more and more intrusive. But I'm not retarded enough to blame that on a guy who is clearly one of the best at saying the right thing to the media. Unlike some other Jets players who constantly gives them ammo.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    I care about Tebow too. And I am intelligent enough not to blame the way the media operates on a player. Whether it's Tebow or anyone else, media will always look for stories and they will continue to be more and more intrusive. But I'm not retarded enough to blame that on a guy who is clearly one of the best at saying the right thing to the media. Unlike some other Jets players who constantly gives them ammo.
    Yeah! Very eloquently said.

    Can't Wait - thanks for reassuring me that I don't sound any girlier than other Tebow fans. LOL - not sure the guys will appreciate that tho.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Yeah! Very eloquently said.

    Can't Wait - thanks for reassuring me that I don't sound any girlier than other Tebow fans. LOL - not sure the guys will appreciate that tho.
    Not sure I appreciate that either, but maybe I can just take it as some sort of hidden compliment...are you cute? If so I agree, these guys are soooo insensitive....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us