Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: A sliver lining in Mark Sanchez' clouds?

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    A sliver lining in Mark Sanchez' clouds?

    Mark Sanchez's QB play has been brutal this year. We all have seen it. But what has not been generally noted is just how good the defenses he's faced are against the pass.

    Mark has been something of a Jekyll and Hyde passer. He has 6 performances with a QBR of 67 or less, averaging an abysmal 54 during those 6 outings. He has 3 performances with a QBR of 90 or more, averaging a HOFesque 107 during those 3 games.

    Now here comes the silver lining. The six games where he has been horrid came against the NFL's 2,3,4,5, 9 and 9 rated pass defenses in terms of opposing QBRs. It is hardly surprising that he struggled against one after another elite pass defense, though the depths of those struggles have been unacceptably low.

    In contrast, the three games where he has been very good have come against pass defenses ranked 28, 27 and 26 in terms of opposing QBRs. So what can we expect the rest of the way? For the most part, it should be fair skies and smooth sailing for Sanchez. The Jets face only one top 10 pass defense the rest of the way, Arizona, and even there there are reasons for optimism, as Arizona has been coming apart at the seams of late and will be facing the long west to east trip. The Jets also face the # 16, 18, 21, 27, 28 and 30 pass defenses. If Sanchez can attack some of those bottom feeders like he has against similar defenses this season, there is reason to believe we lie on the cusp of a mini Sanchez renaissance. While it's certainly not a sure thing, it would not be shocking if Mark compiles a QBR of 90 or better over the last 7 games. If he does, there is a very good chance the Jets finish with 7 or even 8 wins. A far cry from preseason playoff hopes, to be sure, but not awful considering the loss of Revis and Holmes, the early season absence of Keller, the injuries to Hill, McKnight, Cumberland, Trufant, Mauga, Baker and Ellis, and the playing hurt status of Pouha with his bad back.

    We'll see how this all plays out, but we may well be seeing an unfortunate case of premature capitulation on the part of Jets fans.

    Not exactly what the "tank the season" fans want to hear, but food for thought.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are loooking for a QB who looks like Johnny U against bottom feeders and wets the bed against the best defenses in the league I would like to re-introduce you to Chad Pennington.

    To play devil's advocate, what would Sanchez mini-renaissance do for us in the playoffs when we play premier defenses? He's worthless. I have never seen such a long laundry list of excuses for such an overpaid yutz in my life. Experiments over, he cant win the big prize in this league.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Mark Sanchez's QB play has been brutal this year. We all have seen it. But what has not been generally noted is just how good the defenses he's faced are against the pass.

    Mark has been something of a Jekyll and Hyde passer. He has 6 performances with a QBR of 67 or less, averaging an abysmal 54 during those 6 outings. He has 3 performances with a QBR of 90 or more, averaging a HOFesque 107 during those 3 games.

    Now here comes the silver lining. The six games where he has been horrid came against the NFL's 2,3,4,5, 9 and 9 rated pass defenses in terms of opposing QBRs. It is hardly surprising that he struggled against one after another elite pass defense, though the depths of those struggles have been unacceptably low.

    In contrast, the three games where he has been very good have come against pass defenses ranked 28, 27 and 26 in terms of opposing QBRs. So what can we expect the rest of the way? For the most part, it should be fair skies and smooth sailing for Sanchez. The Jets face only one top 10 pass defense the rest of the way, Arizona, and even there there are reasons for optimism, as Arizona has been coming apart at the seams of late and will be facing the long west to east trip. The Jets also face the # 16, 18, 21, 27, 28 and 30 pass defenses. If Sanchez can attack some of those bottom feeders like he has against similar defenses this season, there is reason to believe we lie on the cusp of a mini Sanchez renaissance. While it's certainly not a sure thing, it would not be shocking if Mark compiles a QBR of 90 or better over the last 7 games. If he does, there is a very good chance the Jets finish with 7 or even 8 wins. A far cry from preseason playoff hopes, to be sure, but not awful considering the loss of Revis and Holmes, the early season absence of Keller, the injuries to Hill, McKnight, Cumberland, Trufant, Mauga, Baker and Ellis, and the playing hurt status of Pouha with his bad back.

    We'll see how this all plays out, but we may well be seeing an unfortunate case of premature capitulation on the part of Jets fans.

    Not exactly what the "tank the season" fans want to hear, but food for thought.
    so against the bottom 25% of the leagues defenses he can be effective, against the other 75% he craps the bed. And the last three games last year he played bad against the 5th and 9th worse pass defenses.

    How does being able to pass against the worse teams in the NFL a stat to draw comfort from. You want a qb that can play against the best not the worse.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to re-introduce you to Chad Pennington.
    Please dont insult chad by comparing him to the disaster that is mark sanchez.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's not forget that one of those "great" performances was a game in which he passed for 81 yards. And his "great" performance against the Pats D when adjusted for strength of opponent and including his 3 turnovers was arguably the worst QB performance against them this season. I'll give him the Bills game. The guy stinks. Plain and simple.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Please dont insult chad by comparing him to the disaster that is mark sanchez.
    Did Chad lead our team to back to back AFC Championships, all while winning 4 road playoff games?

    Listen, Mark has absolutely had a horrible season, but Chad Pennington stunk....I remember playing against the Pats where they'd play 8 in the box, knowing Chad couldn't throw it 15 yards down field

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's helping those teams to those kind of stats. Take away all stats and just watch the guy play the game. He stinks against almost everyone. His faults are not the times the other team defends well, gets a pass rush etc. His big faults are when everything goes well for the Jets to make a big play. Protection, play call, route running and he flat out other doesn't see the open guys or he misses them by a lot and it is pic or incompletion or misses them by a little where they have to stop to catch the ball.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Mark Sanchez's QB play has been brutal this year. We all have seen it. But what has not been generally noted is just how good the defenses he's faced are against the pass.

    Mark has been something of a Jekyll and Hyde passer. He has 6 performances with a QBR of 67 or less, averaging an abysmal 54 during those 6 outings. He has 3 performances with a QBR of 90 or more, averaging a HOFesque 107 during those 3 games.

    Now here comes the silver lining. The six games where he has been horrid came against the NFL's 2,3,4,5, 9 and 9 rated pass defenses in terms of opposing QBRs. It is hardly surprising that he struggled against one after another elite pass defense, though the depths of those struggles have been unacceptably low.

    In contrast, the three games where he has been very good have come against pass defenses ranked 28, 27 and 26 in terms of opposing QBRs. So what can we expect the rest of the way? For the most part, it should be fair skies and smooth sailing for Sanchez. The Jets face only one top 10 pass defense the rest of the way, Arizona, and even there there are reasons for optimism, as Arizona has been coming apart at the seams of late and will be facing the long west to east trip. The Jets also face the # 16, 18, 21, 27, 28 and 30 pass defenses. If Sanchez can attack some of those bottom feeders like he has against similar defenses this season, there is reason to believe we lie on the cusp of a mini Sanchez renaissance. While it's certainly not a sure thing, it would not be shocking if Mark compiles a QBR of 90 or better over the last 7 games. If he does, there is a very good chance the Jets finish with 7 or even 8 wins. A far cry from preseason playoff hopes, to be sure, but not awful considering the loss of Revis and Holmes, the early season absence of Keller, the injuries to Hill, McKnight, Cumberland, Trufant, Mauga, Baker and Ellis, and the playing hurt status of Pouha with his bad back.

    We'll see how this all plays out, but we may well be seeing an unfortunate case of premature capitulation on the part of Jets fans.

    Not exactly what the "tank the season" fans want to hear, but food for thought.
    Lets not try to suger coat it, good QB's over come. Brady, Manning, they do nto make excuses. Sanchez is a servciable back up to a good starter, bottom line!!

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,626
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only silver lining for Mark Sanchez is that at least up until now he still gets primo pu$$y from the Victoria's Secret or SI Swimsuit edition rack.

    Pretty soon it will be down to Haynes underwear models and then who knows, fifty year old Hungarian hookers working the late shift at the Bowery. If he still has a #6 jersey that smells of Longoria he should probably keep that around in an unwashed state so that he will be able to remember when...

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The only silver lining for Mark Sanchez is that at least up until now he still gets primo pu$$y from the Victoria's Secret or SI Swimsuit edition rack.

    Pretty soon it will be down to Haynes underwear models and then who knows, fifty year old Hungarian hookers working the late shift at the Bowery. If he still has a #6 jersey that smells of Longoria he should probably keep that around in an unwashed state so that he will be able to remember when...
    This is pretty funny stuff

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    This stuff is BS

    Look, the Seahawks are pretty good, especially at home but.................
    Keller was open on the 1st pump fake, Hill was wide open, Keller was open on the 2nd pump fake, Hill was still WIDE OPEN, Keller was NOT OPEN on the 3rd pump fake.

    Sanchez is not a good QB.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI to all, this is not my article. He has performed well against good defenses in the past just not this year. I agree he looks like chit this year, but I don't think it's all on him, there are alot of factors in team sports, and I don't think anyone is pulling their weight this year. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the apparent regression of Sanchez.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Let's not forget that one of those "great" performances was a game in which he passed for 81 yards. And his "great" performance against the Pats D when adjusted for strength of opponent and including his 3 turnovers was arguably the worst QB performance against them this season. I'll give him the Bills game. The guy stinks. Plain and simple.
    Agreed plain and simple! Its also tiring to read all the Suckchez apologists ways to try to make him look like a NFL QB.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    FYI to all, this is not my article. He has performed well against good defenses in the past just not this year. I agree he looks like chit this year, but I don't think it's all on him, there are alot of factors in team sports, and I don't think anyone is pulling their weight this year. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the apparent regression of Sanchez.
    And if that weak QB play came from Tebow what would you be saying?

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    FYI to all, this is not my article. He has performed well against good defenses in the past just not this year. I agree he looks like chit this year, but I don't think it's all on him, there are alot of factors in team sports, and I don't think anyone is pulling their weight this year. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the apparent regression of Sanchez.
    Oh I agree. I think Cavanaugh should have been thrown out with Shoddy! why do we not fire an entire staff on offense?
    If your changing OCs, fire the entire group of people that were working with him.
    Shoddy sucked & Cavanaugh sucked.
    What I'm not gonna do yet is throw Sparano under the bus just yet. He had to put in another offense in the offseason & never had everyone healthy.
    Then they lose that TE/Halfback in the last preseason game
    Keller gets hurt
    Hill gets hurt
    Holmes out for the season
    McKnight gets hurt
    Gates gets hurt
    Powell gets hurt
    Cumberland gets hurt
    Greene sucks
    I mean lets face it, on top of all these players getting dinged up, Sanchez has been terrible, skittish in the pocket, indecisive & throwing late all the time. Sparanos getting people open with his schemes, Mark just has sucked! Perfect example was in Seattle in the redzone.
    Then when Mark actually does make a play our WRs & TEs & RBs drop the ball.
    Hill makes that catch in New England we're 4-5 believing we can win some games in the 2nd half.
    I do agree that Sparano hasn't used Tebow properly but Sanchez converts so few 3rd downs, we just don't get enough offensive snaps for him.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    And if that weak QB play came from Tebow what would you be saying?
    The same thing. It's a team sport. Great QBs can over come some deficiencies, bad QBs can win SBs with strong support (Dilfer). Either way, The only player playing up to or over expectations may be Cromartie. And a lot, including Sanchez are playing below expectations.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    FYI to all, this is not my article. He has performed well against good defenses in the past just not this year. I agree he looks like chit this year, but I don't think it's all on him, there are alot of factors in team sports, and I don't think anyone is pulling their weight this year. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the apparent regression of Sanchez.
    I don't think you are as disappointed as most of the rest of us. He has not been really good any of his 4 years and is living off off 4 playoff wins when the team was top 5 in defense, running game and oline. His excuses should have run out by now.

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Oh I agree. I think Cavanaugh should have been thrown out with Shoddy! why do we not fire an entire staff on offense?
    If your changing OCs, fire the entire group of people that were working with him.
    Shoddy sucked & Cavanaugh sucked.
    What I'm not gonna do yet is throw Sparano under the bus just yet. He had to put in another offense in the offseason & never had everyone healthy.
    Then they lose that TE/Halfback in the last preseason game
    Keller gets hurt
    Hill gets hurt
    Holmes out for the season
    McKnight gets hurt
    Gates gets hurt
    Powell gets hurt
    Cumberland gets hurt
    Greene sucks
    I mean lets face it, on top of all these players getting dinged up, Sanchez has been terrible, skittish in the pocket, indecisive & throwing late all the time. Sparanos getting people open with his schemes, Mark just has sucked! Perfect example was in Seattle in the redzone.
    Then when Mark actually does make a play our WRs & TEs & RBs drop the ball.
    Hill makes that catch in New England we're 4-5 believing we can win some games in the 2nd half.
    I do agree that Sparano hasn't used Tebow properly but Sanchez converts so few 3rd downs, we just don't get enough offensive snaps for him.
    Great post!

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    WTF is a sliver lining?

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    WTF is a sliver lining?
    when the trash bag stretches so much from all the manure you have in it the top on it turn silver.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us