Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets schedule favors a playoff berth

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets schedule favors a playoff berth

I don't see why the Jets couldn't win 6 of their last 7 games based on their very favorable schedule...

Rams, Pats, Cards, Jags, Titans, Chargers, Bills

The only real strong team you have in there are the Pats, and the Jets usually get up to play them. The rest of these teams are very beatable, and the Jets have a good chance of beating every last one of them. If the Jets were able to do so they would be the first team since the '96 Jags to do it, but it can be done. Since 1990 three teams have made the playoffs after starting 3-6, and the Jets have a very favorable schedule the rest of the way. Could they do it? Absolutely the could do it... Absolutely they could.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We could go 9-7, definitely. Will probably end up needing help, though.

Hope it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to get destroyed in this thread, fair warning

The fans of all the teams you listed are penciling in the Jets game as a win too. Only certainty is the Jags and certainty is maybe 75% chance of win. I was on a Rams board and they are almost all predicting blowout. Try to be objective dude. We're not some strong 3-6 team just waiting to pounce on an easy schedule, we're a team in serious flux that has a chance to win 3-4 more games against bad teams, but that is best case scenario.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I don't see why the Jets couldn't win 6 of their last 7 games based on their very favorable schedule...
    How about the fact that the Jets suck in every facet of the game? Off, Def, ST and coaching.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why the Jets couldn't win 6 of their last 7 games....
    Here's why:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post

The fans of all the teams you listed are penciling in the Jets game as a win too. Only certainty is the Jags and certainty is maybe 75% chance of win. I was on a Rams board and they are almost all predicting blowout. Try to be objective dude. We're not some strong 3-6 team just waiting to pounce on an easy schedule, we're a team in serious flux that has a chance to win 3-4 more games against bad teams, but that is best case scenario.
    This!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mluongo View Post
    How about the fact that the Jets suck in every facet of the game? Off, Def, ST and coaching.
    But we're better than the 3-6 teams we'll be playing. We aren't what our record says, but they are (in fact they're worse)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why the Jets couldn't win 6 of their last 7 games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen you can be as negative as you want, and you certainly have a reason to be, but the fact is the Jets have started the season against some tough teams (Pittsburgh, San Fran, Houston, New England). The rest of their schedule is very easy comparatively. All I'm saying is that of the seven remaining teams the Jets have to face the only powerful one is the Patriots.

I'm not predicting they will win 6 out of 7, I'm just saying they have a schedule that makes it a decent probability.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Never say die! Agree that's a weak sched but you have to score to beat any NFL team. That and I can't afford to see two postseason teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will finish 8-8 or 7-9. Loosing both Revis and Holmes was big even if people don't want to admit it. Any shot we had at the POs went south when we lost to Seattle. That was a must win for us. The only way we can get in is to get better then average QB play out of what may be the worst QBs in the league. Other then that yeah sure we have a shot still. I just don't see us loosing only one more game when our QBs can't even play one average game right now.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Has a 5-11 team ever made the playoffs?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mluongo;4686754]How about the fact that the Jets suck in every facet of the game? Off, Def, ST and coaching.[/QUOTED]

Do the Jets "suck in every aspect of the game" or have they sucked against some very very tough defenses? I don't think the Jets defense has sucked, they've been up and down but they haven't outright sucked. The offense has appeared to suck, but they've done so against some real tough defenses.

I'm just making a point that the rest of the Jets schedule does present a considerable scenario where they could very well win 6 of their last 7 games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen you can be as negative as you want, and you certainly have a reason to be, but the fact is the Jets have started the season against some tough teams (Pittsburgh, San Fran, Houston, New England). The rest of their schedule is very easy comparatively. All I'm saying is that of the seven remaining teams the Jets have to face the only powerful one is the Patriots.

I'm not predicting they will win 6 out of 7, I'm just saying they have a schedule that makes it a decent probability.
    You do realize we've been blown out by 17 points or more 4 times this year, right? Does that sound like a great team that just happened to play a brutal schedule?

FO has our playoff chances at 6.2%, I don't consider that a "decent probability." They factor in strength of schedule too in their formulas. Conversely, they rate our chances of a top 3 pick in the draft significantly higher, at 14.9%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We will finish 8-8 or 7-9. Loosing both Revis and Holmes was big even if people don't want to admit it. Any shot we had at the POs went south when we lost to Seattle. That was a must win for us. The only way we can get in is to get better then average QB play out of what may be the worst QBs in the league. Other then that yeah sure we have a shot still. I just don't see us loosing only one more game when our QBs can't even play one average game right now.

What the Jets need to do now is just forget the past games and the standings and just go out and win games against teams they could very well beat. Now is the time to just dig in and win one game at a time. Besides the Patriots I don't see any of the other teams on our schedule as penciling us in as a win, because they're not exactly powerhouse teams either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Here's why:

this

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do realize we've been blown out by 17 points or more 4 times this year, right? Does that sound like a great team that just happened to play a brutal schedule?

FO has our playoff chances at 6.2%, I don't consider that a "decent probability." They factor in strength of schedule too in their formulas. Conversely, they rate our chances of a top 3 pick in the draft significantly higher, at 14.9%

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

Yes but those playoff chances change week to week. If the Jets beat the Rams then the probability goes up to like 10%, if they beat the Pats they go up more, and so on. Again, the Jets can't think about any of that right now, all they can do is dig in and fight for a win each and every week. With the remaining schedule they could very well do what the '96 Jags did. No question they could do it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you said this after the Patriots game I'd say ok but the way we lost to the Dolphins and Seahawks were ugly losses. No heart looks like a team that's tossed in the towel.

I almost feel like that Stephen Hill dropped pass killed the season. If we win that game I don't think we come out flat like we did the past two weeks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but those playoff chances change week to week. If the Jets beat the Rams then the probability goes up to like 10%, if they beat the Pats they go up more, and so on. Again, the Jets can't think about any of that right now, all they can do is dig in and fight for a win each and every week. With the remaining schedule they could very well do what the '96 Jags did. No question they could do it.
    The '96 Jags had a prime Mark Brunell, prime Jimmy Smith, and prime Keenan McCardell, to go along with a strong running game. Want to compare the Jets counterparts?

Nothing wrong with being positive, but there are a lot of smart, realistic football fans on this board, and you're not gonna fool people... just saying

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suppose the Jets beat the Rams? Let's say the Jets win 24-13 or something like that. I'd say if they can beat the Rams, who have hung tough with some good teams this season so far, then they certainly have a shot at beating the Cards, Jags, Titans, Chargers, and Bills too.

Basically the season might seem like it's over, but maybe... just maybe... it's NOT.