Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tannenbaum Coming Live On Francesa This Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Did Larry Lucchino and Ben Cherington give interviews last season for the Sawx?

Yup, had to suck it up, and deal with the media scrutiny
    yes but not an exclusive with the biggest sox hater in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Tanny may be the favorite whipping boy, but he is in no way even close to gutless Gutman.

Completely disagree. Business guy with no football background who is somehow in charge of a football team, lacking any awareness of the ship that is sinking around him, and possessing zero media savvy or ability to mount a compelling defense of his own decisions. Sounds exactly like Gutman to me.

I am not piling on because of 3-6. I was one of the earliest Tannenbaum detractors on this board. When he scapegoated Mangini in '08 I was one of the only ones saying he had to go too. From the incompetent and inexcusable Pete Kendall debacle, which cost the Jets an entire season, to the Favre fiasco which ended in the ultimate humiliation of watching Chad Pennington lead the Dolphins to the division title - to the fact that it was his decision to hire Mangini in the first place - it was crystal clear that "Mr. T" was in way over his head. And here we are 4 years later and I am the only one completely unsurprised by the implosion. People point to the AFCCG's but '09 was really an 8-8 no-playoff season if not for Peyton taking a seat in Indy. And 2010 was as flukey an 11-5 record as I've ever seen. If anyone deserved credit for those improbable playoff runs, it was Rex Ryan. If Mike Tannenbaum is fired (and he won't be, thanks to an equally incompetent owner) name me another NFL team that would hire him as GM. Actually, don't bother, because none would. Only the Jets, our perpetual laughingstock of a franchise.

Mike Tannenbaum probably should have worn a helmet and cup for his radio spot with Mike Francesa on WFAN on Friday. The host roasted the beleaguered Jets GM for his team’s performance thus far and the mess it has become.

“Were you pleased, Mike, to see all your players slaughter (Tim) Tebow in the paper this week?” asked Francesa, referring to a Daily News report.

“I hated that,” Tannenbaum responded.

The GM’s main line of defense was that the entire organization was 3-6, from the administration on down, and it wasn’t one individual’s fault. Asked how he would rate Mark Sanchez’s performance, Tannenbaum said, “he’s playing 3-6” before Francesa quipped, “He’s playing 1-8, I think. I don’t even know he’s playing 3-6.”

Francesa railed on Tannenbaum for saying the Jets were just a couple of plays away from some more wins. “The Miami game, how is it one or two plays?” Francesa asked. “What play are you looking for? A 20-point touchdown? You lost the game 30-9?

“It sounds like you’re not grabbing the gravity of your team here,” Francesa said. “You act like this team is like a play away from being good. Do you really believe that?

“You don’t seem alarmed about your team,” the host added. “I’m surprised you’re not more alarmed about your ballclub.”

Tannenbaum insisted there is “meaningful progress” with many of the Jets. The GM said he was not concerned about losing his job.

“I’m not worried about me,” he said. “I’m the last thing I’m worried about.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2CRsxO93p

Tanny sounded like a desperate criminal holed up in a house with 3 dead hostages, knowing the police are gonna throw in the tear gas and send in the dogs any minute. He's hoping for a way out but knows that the end is coming soon regardless of what he does, it's not going to end well.

As Fatty pressed him and made him know that his hopes of a good season were just about totally dashed and it was highly likely the Jets would utterly collapse, Tanny stuttered, repeated himself, and made assertions that sounded totally weak and are utterly unlikely to come to pass considering the situation.

-One example, when Tanny ALMOST said that the Jets had a shot to run the table and get into the playoffs. He couldn't bring himself to say it.

Tanny, come out with your hands up. It's over.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Tanny sounded like a desperate criminal holed up in a house with 3 dead hostages, knowing the police are gonna throw in the tear gas and send in the dogs any minute. He's hoping for a way out but knows that the end is coming soon regardless of what he does, it's not going to end well.

As Fatty pressed him and made him know that his hopes of a good season were just about totally dashed and it was highly likely the Jets would utterly collapse, Tanny stuttered, repeated himself, and made assertions that sounded totally weak and are utterly unlikely to come to pass considering the situation.

-One example, when Tanny ALMOST said that the Jets had a shot to run the table and get into the playoffs. He couldn't bring himself to say it.

heh heh heh

Just finally listened to this. Very painful. Tanny talks way too fast and just sounds uncomfortable. He could have stood up to Francesa and drew a confident line in the sand wrt to the Jets but he was in total backreel mode the entire time. They weren't even difficult questions, just blunt and straightforward. Not a good look for Tanny.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bobby Valentine?
    Regardless...they were proven winners, discussing a mistake.

Very different from the JEST.

Probably the only time I'll ever agree with a Mike Francessa quote is when Tannenbaum said Sanchez is playing like a 3-6 QB and Francessa shots back "more like 1-8."

So true.

I like the fact that just about EVERYONE in the media is pounding on the Jets FO, coaching staff, players and owner.

Ratchet up the heat and get some football people in here to run this operation. This Jets regime is done.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post

He's basically like all the other self hating Jet fans that call in to that show and make a point of complimenting Fatsy on "being real". Its one thing to agree with him (he is correct about many of his observations) but to go out of your way to kiss his arse is unfathomable.

In the end, Tanny is another intimidated fan of chubsy ubsy trying to gain his approval.

-

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I like the fact that just about EVERYONE in the media is pounding on the Jets FO, coaching staff, players and owner.

Ratchet up the heat and get some football people in here to run this operation. This Jets regime is done.
    Just gotta keep losing. If this team finishes 7-9, next year will be more of the same. For whatever reason, Woody Johnson loves 8 win teams. (8 true wins in 09, 8 last year, 8 or less this year)

Woohoo.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post

they are basically aboard the bandwagon many of us have been on for awhile. preseason was a preview and nothing was done to fix any of it.

fire them all.

Anyone know if there's a place I can listen to the interview?

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Anyone know if there's a place I can listen to the interview?
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio-on...e-francesa-1/#

Tanny is in his 7th season as GM. His record is 54-51. The team has 7 games left and it is likely that he'll be a few games over .500 by the end of his 7th season.

Has any GM ever lasted 8 seasons after basically guiding the team to a .500 record. Especially where the team appears to be much worse now then it did a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Tanny is in his 7th season as GM. His record is 54-51. The team has 7 games left and it is likely that he'll be a few games over .500 by the end of his 7th season.

Has any GM ever lasted 8 seasons after basically guiding the team to a .500 record. Especially where the team appears to be much worse now then it did a few years ago?
    no he fails to address specific needs that have been missing on this team for a very longtime. pass rusher,speed at rb lb and most importantly a franchise qb.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Regardless...they were proven winners, discussing a mistake.

Very different from the JEST.

Dude, you can spin it with the best of them

Just go with the Panthers....you hate the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    no he fails to address specific needs that have been missing on this team for a very longtime. pass rusher,speed at rb lb and most importantly a franchise qb.
    I think it even goes beyond that. He never really has a plan on how to build the team. He makes his moves in a reactionary way. None of the good GM's do this. They always have an eye toward continuing to build their entire roster.

IMO, a GM needs to find well above average to elite players for 3 positions, and then do a good job of accumulating talent everywhere else on the roster so competition brings the cream to the top. Tanny has done a terrible job finding elite players anywhere except for Revis, but a shutdown corner is not one of the 3 necessary positions. It's QB (obviously), WR (his presence opens up both the passing and running game), DL or LB (who can not be blocked by one player changing the entire dynamic of the D).

Tanny's efforts for these 3 key positions has given us Sanchez, Gholston, and Holmes. I call that a big time FAIL.

Dude, you can spin it with the best of them

Just go with the Panthers....you hate the Jets
    Jon, it is just like he kowtowed to him by going on his show. he could have gotten his message out in a different format. Choon thought it was brave going into the lion's den, I think he went looking for a black eye. Franseca can not ratchet up his hate any more degrees, so ignore him.

The only thing that is going to stop the hate is making the playoffs more consistently than the Giants.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Believe it or not, he won't quit on this team, unlike you have
    He is paid by the team, he wont give up as long as he is collecting a check.