Thread: Salary CAP dept. : is 2013's Salary Cap driving the jets 2012 decisions ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame

Arrow Salary CAP dept. : is 2013's Salary Cap driving the jets 2012 decisions ? ? ?

Is 2013's Salary Cap Driving the Jets 2012 Decisions ?

We all know that the Jets are in a tough position financially in 2013. As of Wednesday, the Jets only had 39 players under contract of which 3 are guaranteed cuts, so let’s call it 36 players. The Jets will likely enter 2013, after those moves and carrying over their remaining 2012 cap room, with about $11 million to spend on those 17 players needed to reach the 53 man roster. They have plenty of other moves that can be made for more financial flexibility, but you get the idea. It looks to be tight barring a big trade of someone like David Harris or Santonio Holmes.

I admit I’ve been puzzled as to some of the decisions that the Jets have made with personnel this season. It really seems to be the first time I have seen the Jets making moves that appear to be guided, in part, by salary considerations. Now let me just say that some of the things I will talk about here are, to the best of my knowledge correct. However, I want to preface this by saying that things do change all the time in the NFL and if anyone reading this wants to correct something please email me and I’ll fix any errors as long as you can verify the data. I just want it out there up front that this may not be 100% correct in terms of financial implication for the team.The small ones deal with players who have contracts that call for escalated salaries in 2013 if they reach certain playing time thresholds. If you see players entering their final contract year in 2013 seemingly vanish from the rotation in 2012 odds are it is to save a few hundred thousand in roster money next year or the hassle of guaranteeing them money to have them bring the number back down.After years of talking about the importance of continuity on an offensive line the Jets have moved into this strange rotation on the offensive line. It is one where they rotate their left guard every third series. Im not sure I can recall too many NFL teams that use a rotation on the line. Usually the starters play all the snaps unless they are injured or ineffective and benched. The Jets clearly made a play in the offseason to push Matt Slauson to take a paycut in return for a guaranteed salary and the starting job which he agreed to. Slauson remains the starter but loses about 30% of the snaps to Vlad Ducasse.

Ducasse has a bonus in his contract that increases his 2013 salary cap figure by $410,000 if he plays in 45% of the snaps this season. If Ducasse fails to earn this year that bonus vanishes, with $410,000 of his 2013 salary remaining guaranteed as protection for the player. The Jets save $410,000 in both cash and cap with this rotational system. Yes it’s a small amount but when you look at some of the moves the Jets have made this past year to free up smalls sums of money (Slauson, Mike DeVito), clearly it is in their playbook. In addition the Jets starting RG Brandon Moore is a free agent. So is Matt Slauson. As an older veteran that seems to be declining it would be unlikely to see Moore remain with a team that looks ready to rebuild. Slauson’s value is driven down on the open market by the fact that he is not an entrenched starter. It gives the Jets an opportunity to bring him back at a low cost with minimal guarantees and probably plug him at the RG position. Slauson isn’t great but he is a capable player for a one or two year period.But the big one is Tim Tebow. Again I want to mention here that the information I have on Tebow is from his prior contract with Denver which I assume rolled over with the Jets, but I do not know for a fact if this is the case. So take this as a possibility and not 100% accurate.Everyone is puzzled by the fact that Tebow never plays for the Jets. The starting QB the Jets have is terrible. There is no way to sugarcoat the performances no matter how much Rex Ryan tries to in every postgame press conference. In the games where the Jets have been blown away it was shocking that the team didn’t put in Tebow in mop up duty just to get a look at the player. With the exception of rookies taking their lumps almost no starting QB, except for the superstars, would have remained in the games against the San Francisco 49’ers or Miami Dolphins. In the summer Rex Ryan talked about playing Tebow 25% of the teams snaps. Thus far he has been in 10.1% and the number is falling.

Tebow is one of the last remaining players that should be playing under the old CBA rookie contract structure. Under the old CBA 1st round draft picks often had low base value deals to comply with CBA rules with easily attainable escalators based on playing time. For instance Dustin Keller this year saw his salary increase to $3.052 million as he entered the final year of his deal. As a QB drafted in the 1st round those incentives are increased dramatically. Tebow’s rookie contract had a base value of $9.7125 million with an easily achievable value of $11.125 million based on reaching the standard playing time escalators of either 35% as a rookie or 45% any year thereafter. He unlocked that in 2011 when he played in about 76% of the Broncos offensive snaps. As a first round QB he had the potential to turn the contract into a $33 million dollar deal through incentives that would only be realized if he turned out to be the next John Elway. The more realistic number was that the contract would be worth $22.5 million if he developed into a starting QB.The additional $11.25 million, if earned, would be added onto the backend of Tebow’s 5 year contract in 2013 and 2014. He had two avenues to earn the escalators. If he played in 55% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons (2010-2012) he would earn an additional $5 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014. If he plays in 70% of the snaps in 2013 he earns the full payment in 2014.Tebow’s current cap number in 2013 is $2,586,875 which includes a guaranteed payment of $1,531,875 that goes to the Denver Broncos as part of the terms of the trade. If Tebow was to earn that escalator his cap charge would balloon to $7,586,875. That is a number the Jets cant handle next season, considering they owe Sanchez $8.25 million guaranteed next year and a cap charge of over $12.8 million. 2014 is not an issue for the Jets but clearly 2013 is and maybe that is playing a role in the management of Tebow’s snaps.

Over the summer the Jets proclaimed they were going to use Tebow close to 20 snaps per game which is about 25% of the teams offensive plays, specifically in the red zone. The Jets have played 546 offensive snaps through 8 weeks. If the Jets had played Tebow as advertised and continued at that pace the most they would likely be able to start him is the last 5 games to safely avoid the bonus. Had they used him in those blowout games early in the year you would be looking at is 4. With his current snap count and snap averages they should be able to get 7 starts out of him and miss the bonus payment. . Had they made move earlier to start they would be completely stuck with he and Sanchez eating up $20 million in cap room in 2013. If the escalators are a real possibility it at least may explain why the Jets don’t use him at all unless they really see him as that bad of a player in practice, which is why Denver coach John Fox used to say about his views on Tebow.From Tebow’s side you have to be furious if this is the case and they are managing his potential earnings this way. Had Tebow chosen Jacksonville he clearly would be the starter. Not only is Blaine Gabbert often injured but when healthy he is completely ineffective. There would be no doubt that Tebow would be the starter and be earning the maximum realistic value on his contract. If Tebow is going to remain on the Jets I have a gut feeling that there had to be some assurance, especially the way the season has transpired, that Tebow will get every opportunity to start in 2013 and earn his money as his original contract stated.

Maybe it’s an Oliver Stone conspiracy on my part, but I think he is blocked for another game or two because of the concerns about the teams finances and the need to protect their cap in the event the owner puts his foot down and demands the switch to be made.

Between Tebow’s potential salary and sunk costs in Sanchez there is a lot more going on than the negatives of Sanchez’ stats and “belief in Mark” by the head coach as the reasons for why the Jets are doing things the way they are. I just hope in 2013 the team is back to being run the way they were in the years leading up to 2012 where players played on merit and decisions were made to evaluate for the future when things went south. I truly believe that the Jets can navigate their “financial crisis” next year without issue, but something this year just does not sit right with me at all.

> http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/capconcerns.html

I think there is going to be a market for Slauson this off season. His playing time is being curtailed not because of his play, but the need to get Ducasse reps to see if he can play in 2013 or is he just a waste of a pick.

I think the market for Moore is going to be less and i think the jets believe they can hold on to him for about 1 mill a year. Ducasse at LG will be supported by Mangold and Dbrick, throwing him on the right side next to Howard or a rookie would leave the whole RS as a question mark.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think there is going to be a market for Slauson this off season. His playing time is being curtailed not because of his play, but the need to get Ducasse reps to see if he can play in 2013 or is he just a waste of a pick.

I think the market for Moore is going to be less and i think the jets believe they can hold on to him for about 1 mill a year. Ducasse at LG will be supported by Mangold and Dbrick, throwing him on the right side next to Howard or a rookie would leave the whole RS as a question mark.
    agreed.
    tanny ( if he's still w/ us ) is gonna have his work cut out for him

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Early draft primer : New York Jets

The 2012 season has reached the stretch run, and it appears the New England Patriots are the only team on solid ground for the postseason.Therefore, the AFC East blog recently began its first look at the offseason and what teams must address in 2013. Let’s continue Tuesday with the Jets.

New York Jets - Key free agents : TE Dustin Keller, S LaRon Landry, S Yeremiah Bell

2013 draft picks - Needs : RB, RT, LB, WR, S, QB

Analysis :
    New York restructured a lot of contracts the past two seasons, which makes it tough on the upcoming salary cap. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan have tough decisions to make to improve this team and make it younger. The biggest in-house free agent this season is Keller. He's a solid tight end when healthy. But Keller is suffering through injuries and having a down year. That could make him a bargain for the Jets. But if another team overpays, he could bolt. Safety also is a need if the Jets do not re-sign their aging veterans: Landry and Bell. An educated guess is at least one of these players won't be back. New York is in a tough spot at quarterback. Starter Mark Sanchez and backup Tim Tebow are both under contract and have plenty of combined guaranteed money next year. The Jets will have to stick with one of those players -- most likely Sanchez -- but both will be on the roster barring an offseason Tebow trade. Therefore, New York will probably invest in a top college quarterback prospect when they have plenty of other needs. Maybe a developmental rookie quarterback in the middle rounds is an option.

Possible draft targets :
    Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia; Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas; Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...-new-york-jets

Hall Of Fame
    Landry hopes to remain a Jet

One of the teams that expressed interest in LaRon Landry last offseason was the Patriots, whom the Jets face Thursday night. Landry took a free-agent visit to New England, but the Patriots reportedly had concerns about his durability."It was a great visit, let's leave it at that," the veteran safety said Tuesday. "I'm here. I love where I'm at. This is home and, hopefully, it will remain home."

Landry, who signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract, will be an unrestricted free agent. There's a clause in his deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.It would be a surprise if they don't try to re-sign Landry before free agency, considering his production. He's second on the team in tackles (63 solo), he has three forced fumbles, one interception and one touchdown. And he hasn't missed a game.

On Tuesday, Landry offered his opinion on the Ed Reed penalty, saying he's glad the one-game suspension was overturned. The Ravens' safety was fined $50,000 for his illegal hit on Steelers WR Antonio Brown.Landry is a big hitter, so he pays close attention to this sort of thing."I'm more than sure it wasn't intentional," he said of Reed's blow to the head. "He's one of the elite guys, if not the best at his position. I'm happy his (penalty) got reduced. It's football, man. Within this game, we have rules. It's going to be enforced.

"The injuries and all the trauma that's coming from the different kinds of hits, you have to enforce that. Even though guys harp on the rules and say it's turning into a prima donna sport, hey, they're trying to protect our future."Some have speculated that defensive players, restricted by the new rules on head shots, will start attacking opponents' knees."Those are legal hits until they change it," Landry said. "You try to play fair. It's a give-and-take type of deal."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...o-remain-a-jet

Hall Of Fame
    ...Ryan is not team's problem, lack of talent behind Mark Sanchez and injured stars Darrelle Revis and Santonio Holmes are problems

Owner Woody Johnson isn't happy with his 4-6 team ... nobody would expect him to be, but the best way to fix the problem lies in making smart, strategic changes around Ryan.

Rex Ryan is the least of the Jets' worries right now. Their stars are injured and there is a lack of talent surrounding Mark Sanchez.Woody Johnson took a leap of faith nearly four years ago when he hired a head coach who didn’t look or act the part. Rex Ryan had an oversized torso and mouth, making grandiose predictions reserved for diehards in parking lot tailgates than the face of one of the most lucrative sports franchises in the world.Johnson’s choice to hitch his wagon to Ryan was brilliant for reasons that extended far beyond the coach’s innate ability to generate headlines. Ryan was the John Nash of defensive football minds, a savant who stymied offenses around the league for the better part of a decade.Now, the Jets owner needs to make another brilliant decision by being patient with a head coach who has vaulted his franchise back to relevance despite recent struggles.

Note to Woody : You already got the right man for the job.

The Jets are 4-6 heading into their Thanksgiving showdown against the Patriots at MetLife Stadium for myriad reasons. Darrelle Revis, the best defensive player in the NFL, and Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ top offensive playmaker, are out for the season. Mark Sanchez’s supporting cast is below average at best.

Ryan isn’t the problem. A lack of talent is.

A couple days after Johnson held a private meeting with general manager Mike Tannenbaum, Ryan and a few assistant coaches to assess the state of the team last week, the owner announced that he’s not happy. Nobody would expect him to be, but the best way to fix the problem lies in making smart,strategic changes around Ryan.Bill Parcells famously said that “They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”If Johnson decides to keep his front office intact - Tannenbaum is signed through 2014 - Ryan must have a larger voice in personnel matters.Tannenbaum, whose strength is navigating the salary cap, firmly believes in a collaborative decision-making approach regarding draft picks and trades. However, there have been too many times when finances have driven personnel moves in the bottom half of the roster.

The result : A glaring lack of depth that has come back to bite the Jets in the wake of key injuries. The Jets have made an eye-opening 53 personnel moves since the start of the season, seemingly tinkering with the bottom half of the roster on a daily basis.The Jets aren’t wildly spending Johnson’s cash, so the budget should no longer drive some decisions.(The Jets have made some seemingly odd cost-cutting measures such as Matt Slauson’s $258,000 pay cut in training camp).Ryan’s ability to keep players he believes can help his team win should never be compromised.Ryan, who is signed through 2014, has been far from perfect, but how many first-time head coaches have come within one game of the Super Bowl twice in their first three seasons ? “Every assistant coach thinks they’re ready to be a head coach,” Ryan said on Tuesday. “Well, people say, ‘Oh, you’re making a ton of mistakes right now.’ Well, that’s probably true. But I made more when I was just coming into this thing in ’09.“I’ve been around football all my life, but you’ve never been in this chair,” Ryan added. “They say you can’t buy experience and I believe that’s the truth. But I think right now I’m more comfortable in this role as the head coach. I’ve learned. And I still learn.”

Johnson should consult the Rooney family in Pittsburgh on the virtues of patience. It took Bill Cowher, an annual hot coaching candidate these days, 13 seasons before he won his only Super Bowl. The Rooneys tuned out fan sentiment to fire Cowher after three consecutive seasons of missing the playoffs from 1998-2000.Even Jon Gruden, who has vaulted to the top of the list of free agent head coaching candidates, went through rough patches. After winning the Super Bowl in his first season in Tampa with Tony Dungy’s players, Gruden didn’t win a playoff game and missed the postseason in four of his final six seasons with the Buccaneers.The Jets may miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season, but Ryan’s eternal optimism has galvanized a team that still plays with maximum effort. They believe in him, which shouldn’t be overlooked.“We have the people that we can get out of a bad situation by the work ethic and our belief in the person next to(you) & your belief in yourself,” Ryan said.When TV and radio pundits tried to twist a Daily News report in which players made it clear that Tim Tebow’s quarterback skills aren’t good enough to be the starter into a convenient narrative of a divided locker room, Ryan made sure his players remained unified.Whether the Jets make the playoffs or not, it’ll be paramount to accumulate more on-field talent.

Now’s not the time for Johnson to be reactionary. Ryan can still fulfill his promise to pay a visit to the White House.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...sEnabled=false

Hall Of Fame
    A Ryan-Tannenbaum tug-of-war could be coming in New York

Four years ago, as the Jets imploded from 8-3 to 9-7, owner Woody Johnson declared that both G.M. Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini would return.

The day after the season ended, Mangini was fired.

Now that the Jets are careening toward another season of unfulfilled expectations, Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan could be inclined to run for cover and blame the other guy for the current state of the team, in anticipation of another potential one-stays-and-one-goes decision at the end of the year.An opinion item from New York Daily News beat writer Manish Mehta argues that Rex isn’t the problem — a lack of talent is. While Mehta never specifically calls out G.M. Mike Tannenbaum as the reason for the lack of talent, the implication is unmistakable: The current state of the team is Tannenbaum’s fault, not Ryan’s.Mehta points to a “glaring lack of depth that has come back to bite the Jets in the wake of key injuries,” and “an eye-opening 53 personnel moves since the start of the season, seemingly tinkering with the bottom half of the roster on a daily basis.”

The item also points out that key injuries have made it harder for the Jets to succeed, which can be regarded as another excuse for a head coach who fairly can be characterized as being on the hot seat.Though this week’s offering from Mehta won’t create the same shock waves as last week’s “Tebow is terrible” report, it should. It speaks to subtle-but-palpabale attempt by Tannenbaum and Ryan to blame the other guy for the current state of the franchise — and it represents an effort (whether solicited or not) to make the case that, if someone needs to be fired when the dust settles, it shouldn’t be Ryan.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-in-new-york/