Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: enough

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

enough

43 years, soon to be 44 since a championship.

A ton of cash dedicated to a cause that brings little joy and much anger.

Decades of buying into whatever the flavor of the month is selling.

Blind support for various strategies, plans, beliefs, and processes.

Does this sound like you? It probably does if you are anywhere over 60, wait, 50, errrr, 40, hold on, 30...umm, 20 years old. To be a fan of the NY Jets is something that is very difficult to explain. The only bright side of this season is the fact that younger fans should be somewhat understanding of what fans from the 60's have been choking on for 40 someodd years.

Jets fans don't bail on the team, they sign on for misery from a young age. Unfortunately the team's newish owner sees that, realizes that and cashes in on it. The BS from yesterday that it's not about selling PSL's is beyond laughable. There was no need for a new stadium, that was an absolute cash grab from the Jets & Giants ownership. I'm done on this subject now.

Tebow, and the continuing circus that surrounds him...what an incredibly classy kid, holding a ridiculous NY media at bay through an absurd set of circumstances this week. Sanchez, a talented player put in a no win situation that on a team that has done nothing to improve his chances of living up to expectations in the last two years. Tannenbaum, the free pass is over, strip mining the team's drafts for minimally contributive players. Season upon season of playing musical chairs with the 50 -53 roster spots. Letting the team enter seasons without any depth whatsoever, an injury away from disaster. Rex, a coach I have been very fond of, habitually defending stupidity and ineffectiveness. Overrating his players at a tremendous cost to the franchise, financially and potentially.

Where do we go? When does it end?

These Jets, players, administrators, coaches, and ownership need to look into the mirror and realize its not about talk, it's about results. Realize that every fan with a vested interest in this team has made a huge sacrifice, financially and emotionally to continue to blindly support losing. Enough!

enough.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't disagree.

As a Jets fan, you know that whenever we have success it's the "wrong" way. We always do something odd that puts us in a good position but it's a fleeting thing, it's not meant to last. Whether stealing Parcells or borrowing Favre or loading up on free agents to sell PSL's, we never can get close in a conventional way, it's always some bizarre set of circumstances that can't be repeated, isn't sustainable.

We can start by stopping the endless array of rookie head coaches. Bring someone in here with experience.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 11-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Can't disagree.

As a Jets fan, you know that whenever we have success it's the "wrong" way. We always do something odd that puts us in a good position but it's a fleeting thing, it's not meant to last. Whether stealing Parcells or borrowing Favre or loading up on free agents to sell PSL's, we never can get close in a conventional way, it's always some bizarre set of circumstances that can't be repeated, isn't sustainable.

We can start by stopping the endless array of rookie head coaches. Bring someone in here with experience.

SAR I
    this week it dawned on me, we were all going crazy about Francesa a couple of seasons ago, saying the Colts gave a gift to the Jets by not paying Peyton, you know what? He was right.

I'm ****ing sick of 9-7, even though that seems highly unlikely this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    this week it dawned on me, we were all going crazy about Francesa a couple of seasons ago, saying the Colts gave a gift to the Jets by not paying Peyton, you know what? He was right.

I'm ****ing sick of 9-7, even though that seems highly unlikely this year.
    When you step back and look big-picture, in seasons where we've had a healthy quarterback, the Jets average 9.5 wins every season since 1997. Take away the one VT season and the few CP seasons and we're a serious playoff contender with a healthy QB for 15 consecutive years.

During that span, our defense, offensive line, and running game were somewhat dominant, and the quarterback or the head coach were always the weak links. Because Parcells built us on defense, OL, and rushing, we've brought in head coach after head coach who were all defensive guys, all with a different plan to win tight, low-scoring games.

When VT got tired, in comes Pennington. When Pennington wore down, in comes Favre. When Favre left, in comes Sanchez. Head coaches, same thing. And each time, the new HC or QB energized the club, got us a few more years on the backs of the core defense, offensive line, and rushing attack that Parcells laid seed for.

The reason we are where we are now is that the defense, OL, and rushing attack have been neglected and mismanaged to the point where they're gone. For the first time since 1996, we are in deep trouble and a mere QB change or HC change isn't going to make a difference.

I think this is why so many fans are struggling with what's going on now. See, it feels like we've had some roller-coaster dips these last 15 years, but we really haven't. Only when our QB had some devastating injury did we have an awful season. We've remarkably been one of the most consistent NFL teams for a decade and a half. So screaming for a QB change feels natural, feels like what we're supposed to do. Problem is, this time it goes much deeper.

In the end, NFL teams don't get 15 year runs like that, averaging 9.5 wins. And in the end, NFL teams don't get back-to-back Championship Game runs and perpetuate that without a HOF caliber elite QB. The '08 to '10 teams were our high water mark, we're falling back now for awhile.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    When you step back and look big-picture, in seasons where we've had a healthy quarterback, the Jets average 9.5 wins every season since 1997. Take away the one VT season and the few CP seasons and we're a serious playoff contender with a healthy QB for 15 consecutive years.

During that span, our defense, offensive line, and running game were somewhat dominant, and the quarterback or the head coach were always the weak links. Because Parcells built us on defense, OL, and rushing, we've brought in head coach after head coach who were all defensive guys, all with a different plan to win tight, low-scoring games.

When VT got tired, in comes Pennington. When Pennington wore down, in comes Favre. When Favre left, in comes Sanchez. Head coaches, same thing. And each time, the new HC or QB energized the club, got us a few more years on the backs of the core defense, offensive line, and rushing attack that Parcells laid seed for.

The reason we are where we are now is that the defense, OL, and rushing attack have been neglected and mismanaged to the point where they're gone. For the first time since 1996, we are in deep trouble and a mere QB change or HC change isn't going to make a difference.

I think this is why so many fans are struggling with what's going on now. See, it feels like we've had some roller-coaster dips these last 15 years, but we really haven't. Only when our QB had some devastating injury did we have an awful season. We've remarkably been one of the most consistent NFL teams for a decade and a half. So screaming for a QB change feels natural, feels like what we're supposed to do. Problem is, this time it goes much deeper.

In the end, NFL teams don't get 15 year runs like that, averaging 9.5 wins. And in the end, NFL teams don't get back-to-back Championship Game runs and perpetuate that without a HOF caliber elite QB. The '08 to '10 teams were our high water mark, we're falling back now for awhile.

SAR I
    this would be a great post if the Jets didn't have huge money invested in the o line, with 2 first rounders no less...and if they didn't consistently draft defense first. 9.5 wins and how many championships? Even league championships? The Jets are doing something wrong.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are 100% correct. I am 32 years old and had season tickets in my name since 1991 when I was 11 years old. I sat through some awful Kotite years and this may turn out to be worse. Mostly because of our owner. In 1997 when Parcells came in Leon Hess was the owner most coaches dream of coaching for. Maybe Hess didn't do enough at times but he knew he wasn't a football guy and didn't get involved. It has been stated that Woody Johnson got Brett Favre to help with PSLs. It has not been stated the same for Tebow but it's pretty obvious.

What coach or GM will want to work for an owner who wants to make headlines all the time? A guy like Cowher would be someone Woody would love to hire to help sell tickets but would Cowher want to deal with Woody focused on ticket sales?

While I am not a Sanchez supporter I was thinking the other day, Sanchez does not have even one WR that he had his rookie season. No Braylon Edwards, no Cotchery, no Brad Smith, no Thomas Jones, etc. He has had a lot of change of weapons and it's tough to gel with anyone when there's constant change.

I feel like it will take 5 years for this team to have a chance at the playoffs again. Biggest reason is who will want to come here? I'm talking players, coaches, GMs, etc.

One more thing about our owner. It will be tougher for him to sell tickets in the future. Most fans are tired of this winning headlines deal. In 2010 and even 2011 (we were competitive until week 17) the stadium was filled with girls in Sanchez jerseys and young people filling the place up. They want to see wins too not headlines. Woody asked for us to have a home game on Thanksgiving night which was a slap in the face to us fans. Now it will be worse to have a 4-6 of 3-7 team with a half filled stadium.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This might be the most frustrating team in the NFL. Sure, perennial losers like the Browns, Lions, and Chiefs are terrible, but no team teases their fans like the Jets. No owner treats the fans like utter morons like Woody. No GM is as arrogant in his own incompetence like Tanenbaum. They need to gut this team like a flood damaged house.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Does this sound like you? It probably does if you are anywhere over 60, wait, 50, errrr, 40, hold on, 30...umm, 20 years old. To be a fan of the NY Jets is something that is very difficult to explain. The only bright side of this season is the fact that younger fans should be somewhat understanding of what fans from the 60's have been choking on for 40 someodd years.

Jets fans don't bail on the team, they sign on for misery from a young age. Unfortunately the team's newish owner sees that, realizes that and cashes in on it. The BS from yesterday that it's not about selling PSL's is beyond laughable. There was no need for a new stadium, that was an absolute cash grab from the Jets & Giants ownership. I'm done on this subject now.

Tebow, and the continuing circus that surrounds him...what an incredibly classy kid, holding a ridiculous NY media at bay through an absurd set of circumstances this week. Sanchez, a talented player put in a no win situation that on a team that has done nothing to improve his chances of living up to expectations in the last two years. Tannenbaum, the free pass is over, strip mining the team's drafts for minimally contributive players. Season upon season of playing musical chairs with the 50 -53 roster spots. Letting the team enter seasons without any depth whatsoever, an injury away from disaster. Rex, a coach I have been very fond of, habitually defending stupidity and ineffectiveness. Overrating his players at a tremendous cost to the franchise, financially and potentially.

These Jets, players, administrators, coaches, and ownership need to look into the mirror and realize its not about talk, it's about results. Realize that every fan with a vested interest in this team has made a huge sacrifice, financially and emotionally to continue to blindly support losing. Enough!

enough.
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    this would be a great post if the Jets didn't have huge money invested in the o line, with 2 first rounders no less...and if they didn't consistently draft defense first. 9.5 wins and how many championships? Even league championships? The Jets are doing something wrong.
    What the Jets are doing wrong is hiring the wrong head coaches. Over and over again, it's always a rookie, it's always someone who wants to build the defense, doesn't care as much about the offense. Every rookie, every single one, goes onto become nothing in the NFL. Good luck, Pete.

What the Jets did wrong was not try hard enough to draft a legitimate franchise quarterback prospect, kept holding onto the wrong old guys for far too long. Testaverde, Pennington, Clemens, Favre, wrong guys, wrong timing, devastating injury, never traded up to get a true franchise guy. I still hope we've found him. Jury's out.

What's truly heartbreaking is that we had more than a decade to get through just once, never could do it. While we were averaging 9.5 wins a year with a healthy QB in the last 15 years, the Bills had 3 winning seasons, the Dolphins 6. That window we had was open for a very long time. Now that it's closed, we see how badly we blew it.

The loss in Pittsburgh is the worst defeat in Jets history. Years from now we'll look back in horror, wonder why a team that had gone that far the year before and had just defeated the Patriots soundly got off the bus and didn't play hard. It's criminal.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 11-17-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a season ticket holder for 36 yrs & this is one of the worst. It's like watching a terminal patient on his death bed this year. (slow & agonizing) I thought we were turning the corner, after the deep play off runs, in creating a "winning" team culture, but it the same old ****, time after time! (different circumstances with the same results)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a Jets fan is like going to the theater once a week and paying full fare to see Caddyshack II over and over again. What the ****is wrong with us

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have absolutely no leaders on this team.
    Normally your QB is your leader but Sanchez isn't playing well enough to rally the troops.
    Where are the defensive leaders?
    We have none. Even when Revis was healthy he wasn't a leader.
    Rex is a terrible leader. He's too much a players coach & instead of getting in players grill when they eff up he's patting them on their azzes.
    This entire team is weak minded. As soon as they get behind or someone makes a mistake the only thing you see on the sidelines is guys with their heads down, shaking their heads?
    Seeing Mark standing on the sidelines with his hands inside the front of his shoulder pads with that effing smirky look after another horrible pick or fumble is becoming a picture in time for this Jets team.
    Sanchez needs to man up & stop feeling sorry for himself & cut it loose!
    It is the only way we can infuse hope & adrenaline into the entire team.
    I know he doesn't have the greatest players around him but he needs to prove over the next 7 games & in his 4th freaking year & 60 starts why we would should keep him after 2013 or even start him in Next year.
    Enough excuses with this guy. He doesn't even make plays in our losses.
    Right now Mark Sanchez is David Carr without the mobility.
    I better see something change or I want a change next year at QB, no need to ruin next year too & make us unwatchable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the NY JETS super bowl is the nfl draft held every april. 44 yrs of losing

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't disagree.

SAR I
    The perfect example of this was 2010. The Jets had surprising success in 2009 and were incredibly lucky to get into the playoffs. They then had a very nice playoff run and as we all know got to the AFCCG. So instead of continuing to build the team the right way through the draft and look towards the long term health of the team, they believed they were actually a team that was only one game away from the Super Bowl. So they traded picks for players, looked for the quick fixes and went into "win now" mode.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rookie head coach issue is because what top flight veteran coach has been available and wants to coach here? Cowher said no. Who else that is worthy has been there?

After this season there will be some viable options. I can guess that Woody is not ready to eat the remaining two years on both Tanny and Rex. Another year with this group is likely.

I had high hopes for Rex. That went out the window during Hard Knocks. When I saw the lack of discipline on that team, I knew it was only a matter of time before this would happen. That team won on pure talent, not Rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The '08 to '10 teams were our high water mark, we're falling back now for awhile.

SAR I
    We won't be falling back that long SAR.....in two years, we will basically have $100 million dollars to spend and only about 20 odd players signed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    The rookie head coach issue is because what top flight veteran coach has been available and wants to coach here? Cowher said no. Who else that is worthy has been there?

After this season there will be some viable options. I can guess that Woody is not ready to eat the remaining two years on both Tanny and Rex. Another year with this group is likely.

I had high hopes for Rex. That went out the window during Hard Knocks. When I saw the lack of discipline on that team, I knew it was only a matter of time before this would happen. That team won on pure talent, not Rex.
    I think we're overlooking the fact that the Jets lost Revis and Holmes to start the season. They lost their best offensive and defensive players just before having to face teams like Pittsburgh, San Fran, Houston, and the Patriots. They also didn't have Keller for a few of those games. There are some legitimate reasons for the 3-6 record, but we have to gain a little distance from it before we're ready to put it in perspective I guess.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB QB QB QB QB QB QB........................We've never drafted a good one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I think we're overlooking the fact that the Jets lost Revis and Holmes to start the season. They lost their best offensive and defensive players just before having to face teams like Pittsburgh, San Fran, Houston, and the Patriots. They also didn't have Keller for a few of those games. There are some legitimate reasons for the 3-6 record, but we have to gain a little distance from it before we're ready to put it in perspective I guess.
    revis went down in miami, week 3 after pittsburgh. holmes went down against the 49ers. keller, i will give you, absent for the first 5 games and some might argue is still missing.
    injuries are not to be used for an excuse. if this team had not traded away most of their mid level draft picks over the last 7 years, they would have some depth to overcome these injuries.

if you think things are bad now, wait about 14 days...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

enough.
    It's long-time Jets fans like you, and a handful of others, that deserve to see the Jets win a championship.

I hope you get to experience that.