Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Jets in 2013

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets in 2013

With 7 games remaining many would think itís to early to start planning for the 2013 season. Iíve seen enough to know that another 7 games will not matter the Jets are not a playoff caliber team. You could argue that if Revis & Holmes didnít suffer season ending injuries that the prospect of reaching the playoffs would be better. I donít necessarily believe that because without a serious pass rush and the regression of our offensive line I do not believe we were going anywhere this year.

With the prospect of a loosing season coupled with the miserable stretch of loosing 3 straight to end the 2011 season many want to start over from scratch by firing Tannenbaum, Rex, Sanchez and almost everyone else. The reality is that Rex will be back because winning 4 playoffs on the road and appearing in back to back championship games buys you time. If the Jets somehow make a respectable run to make it back to 8-8 I can see both Rex and Tannenbaum back next season. But what is likely to happen is the Jets finish somewhere around 5-11 or 6-10 and Woody sees an organization that needs some change to quell the media ropes out for someones neck. What I also believe is that the recent history of poor draft choices and free agent acquisitions makes Tannenbaums tenure worth moving on from. He was never touted as a talent evaluator his strengths were clearing the cap and signing big free agents to reasonable contracts. With the new NFL rookie salary cap in place Tannenbaums influence in signing rookies isnít as important anymore. As far as free agents, most experienced GMís can perform that function of making the teams salary cap viable to be able to sign key free agents well.

Even with Tanny gone, the roster and the salary cap needs serious changes. While I for one would love to see Sanchez gone the reality is that his 2013 salary is guaranteed and no team in the NFL will likely take his largess salary. Reading as much as I can on the 2013 draft class there arenít any Andrew Lucks or RG3ís coming out and certainly none worthy of a top 10 pick the Jets will have. The Jets will release Tebow as I doubt someone will trade for him. They will get a viable backup to challenge Sanchez but I doubt if they trade a high draft pick for say the Seahawks Flynn because itís too risky and lord knows they have made enough trades for QBís that havenít worked out. I wish they kept Stanton because I thought he had the smarts and arm strength to give the Jets the option in 2013.

With Sanchez on the roster next year and no viable rookie to draft in the first round that high I would go in a slightly different direction if Iím the Jets. The Jets need playmakers on offense and while we could use another WR to replace Holmes we have to spend time to develop the capable Stephen Hill. The 2013 draft class is also lacking starting WR talent to pick in the first round. That said, the Jets would do very well by fortifying their offensive line by selecting Alabama guard Chance Warmack. Warmack is the best guard to come out in the draft in 10 years. Heís a powerful mauler at 6í2 325 and will instantly upgrade this offensive line to a top 10 line. As of right now the Jets get no push on running plays. Which is why Greene and Powell have such low YPA stats.

In the second round the Jets continue on offense by selecting Wisconsin RB Montee Ball. Ball reminds many scouts of Emmitt Smith a back who doesnít have blazing speed but is hard to catch from behind. He is very shifty and explosive and catches the ball well enough to become a every down back. He is also very good at pass protection. He may go in the bottom half of the first round but there are enough RBís in this years class to pick one up in the 2nd round even if he isnít there. I would like to point out that I suspect that Kahlil Bell who was recently signed to the Jets roster will perform well enough to be on the Jets roster next year.

Now my favorite pick in the third round would be Stanford TE Levine Toilolo. Heís a monster at 6í8 265 and he blocks very well with soft natural pass catching ability. He replaces Sanchez security blanket Keller who for me is limited as a pass catching TE and fails miserably at run blocking and pass protection. Toilolo provides a duel threat and can become as dangerous as any TE in the league in the red zone.

The fourth round has been kind to the Jets over the years and while making another offensive pick may be a stretch additional help and talent dictates they get a talented OT from Virginia Oday Aboushi. Aboushi has great size at 6í6 310 and has the strength to withstand bull rushes and is pretty agile for a tackle his size.

The 5,6 and 7th round is always a crap shoot of best talent available. In the past teams have found great CBís and RBís in these rounds. I wonít make selections here but you can make a case for getting some talent at WR as the plethora of free agents we have brought in over the years has been painfully awful.

With major upgrades on the offensive line, RB and TE positions, the Jets have given Sanchez or whomever else they get some serious weapons to get much better both in the running game and time to throw the ball downfield. One spot that I fear they may have some trouble finding is at the WR spot. Every team in the league wants younger talented WRís. So the free agency WRís will be well sought after. That said I believe they should target Dwayne Bowe he is a veteran WR who will be looking to prove himself and his contract demands shouldnít be awful considering his production in KC. If you match him up with Hill and have Holmes in the slot at times along with a talented TE like Toilolo then you really open up the downfield option which opens up lanes for our running game.

It may be worth the price of franchising Dustin Keller with the hopes that someone negotiates a solid 3rd round choice for him. He isnít worth big money to me, but that draft pick could bring in additional talent that we need.

The defense needs a slight overhaul and itís unrealistic to think that we will be able to draft another pass rushing OLB/DE considering our previous two drafts. With Pace and Scott gone I believe we may have Sapp replace Pace and we will find another ILB to fill Scotts shoes. Another OLB LB may be needed but FA will be full with capable players filling a void at the pass rushing spot.

The salary cap is a bit of concern. With Pace, Scott, E. Smith, J. Smith and a few others being released along with the carried over cap space from this year we should have about $30 million in cap space to spend on resigning players, free agency and the draft.

A big portion of any new GMís first few weeks would be resigning Revis to a long term extension. His injury is a factor but not as big as one would think as he isnít tradable coming off his injury. But you can see that he will still demand a large contract. Dealing with that BS and knowing the following year he would be a UFA means the Jets are on the wrong side of luck and he holds the power of playing at a high level and not being tagged in 2014. Heís the best player the Jets have had since Martin and probably the best player the Jets have drafted since Willie Joe. Heís a first ballot HOF and you donít trade those players away. While he will demand upwards of $15m a year, If you can bring that down to a manageable $11-$12 I would sign him for 4 more years even if heís still injured.

The OL will still need tweaking even if we draft Warmack. Moore and Slauson will be gone next year which means either Ducasse fills in or we find a replacement FA guard which isnít too hard to find these days. The RT position with Howard should be monitored this season as I think he may be playing well enough to garner signing for 2 year extension. Heís a great backup even if he doesnít pan out as a starter and you find someone else.

After writing this article/post and rereading it, the thing that I like about this plan is that it sets us up for he 2014 season to make a big FA splash. With Sanchez and some dead cap space being freed up we would have the money to sign a bigger FA QB or player as needed. Bowe and the Revis contract would be the only major signings in 2013 and if your not in a financial position to get Bowe, there are plenty of WR options with lessor names who could contribute along with Holmes, Hill, Kerly and our new TE.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never to early, they better be planning 2 years out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad, but the LB corps needs to be completely rebuilt too, have to draft at least one solid LB in the top 3-4 rounds I think.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Not bad, but the LB corps needs to be completely rebuilt too, have to draft at least one solid LB in the top 3-4 rounds I think.
    No doubt. I don't care what round but they need one good one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Agreed, but I really think that Rex is building a base 4-3 D with Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis as the lineman and I wouldn't be surprised if they reached for another lineman.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One if the things I didn't get to mention was the Jets penchant for drafting defensive players ESP in the first round. That said LB's aren't that hard to find what is are pass rushers which we haven't found in years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Agreed, but I really think that Rex is building a base 4-3 D with Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis as the lineman and I wouldn't be surprised if they reached for another lineman.
    Let's not just read draft reports...... VLAD was ok on a report but a CPA could see he was slow and dumb.

let's recruit at bigger schools in general. These reach picks from small schools isn't working.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Let's not just read draft reports...... VLAD was ok on a report but a CPA could see he was slow and dumb.

let's recruit at bigger schools in general. These reach picks from small schools isn't working.
    small schools get their fair share of talent....but you need to have someone who can spot it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    small schools get their fair share of talent....but you need to have someone who can spot it.
    Of course..Walter Payton, Jerry rice and the list goes on.

BUT...all things considered, better athletes go to bigger schools.

our 2010 draft was almost entirely from small schools...... That's a bit more than playing for the exception.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am adding Geno Smith to the top draft choices for the Jets. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons, first we need a QB and while there isn't a top 5 QB like last year, Smith may have enough tools to become an elite player in the NFL much like RG3. He is a pocket QB who can run and he's better at reading defenses than RG3 was at this time last year. Importantly, he can be had in the middle of the 1st round maybe around the 12-15 spot because non of the QB's in this years class are thought of as elite.

For my money I go with Warmack as he is a immediate starter and upgrades the OL and is a sure of a thing as you can get in a draft. You can deep in the QB pool in the second round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I am adding Geno Smith to the top draft choices for the Jets. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons, first we need a QB and while there isn't a top 5 QB like last year, Smith may have enough tools to become an elite player in the NFL much like RG3. He is a pocket QB who can run and he's better at reading defenses than RG3 was at this time last year. Importantly, he can be had in the middle of the 1st round maybe around the 12-15 spot because non of the QB's in this years class are thought of as elite.

For my money I go with Warmack as he is a immediate starter and upgrades the OL and is a sure of a thing as you can get in a draft. You can deep in the QB pool in the second round.
    Smith will go in the top 5. Probably top 3 depending on how things fall.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Smith will go in the top 5. Probably top 3 depending on how things fall.
    After all that has recently happened I still stick with this post - obviously the Jets will shop Sanchez, but in the end who wants a QB with his TO's and inability to read defenses?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder how much Tanny and Rex would have to pay the other team to pay Sanchez' salary ?

$10 mil sounds about right

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Wonder how much Tanny and Rex would have to pay the other team to pay Sanchez' salary ?

$10 mil sounds about right
    I think that will probably do it. $10m seems like a hefty price to pay another team but imagine the backlash in the press and the fans if the Jets keep Sanchez for another year? The cap hit will be exhaustive, but then again clearing his number now instead of in the future makes 2014 a big year for the Jets via FA and they can be competitive in 2013 with some nice moves.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I think that will probably do it. $10m seems like a hefty price to pay another team but imagine the backlash in the press and the fans if the Jets keep Sanchez for another year? The cap hit will be exhaustive, but then again clearing his number now instead of in the future makes 2014 a big year for the Jets via FA and they can be competitive in 2013 with some nice moves.
    You can not do that in the NFL. It is not MLB where a team can pay as much as they want to get rid of a player.