Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking What We Have and Making It Work

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking What We Have and Making It Work

I've read some very insightful posts on JetsInsider, and everyone has so many ideas of how we can succeed instead of just suckseed like we've been doing. Ideas of all kinds have been thrown around: Blow it Up - Get Rid of Tanny / Ryan / Sparano / Sanchez, and/or Tebow -- Start Tebow and Bench Sanchez -- Start McElroy and bench Tebow and Sanchez -- Wildcat -- Spread or Spread Option -- Have Tebow play in the red zone or at least get a whole drive -- Trade Tebow -- Trade away all of our players for a pipe dream in the next draft -- Start all over again and wait 4 years before anything gels .... Well, I don't have to tell you the stuff we've been posting recently.

I think we can find a better solution. We're not like Congress with Democrats and Republicans refusing to work together to find common ground. We're football fans - we have a very short time to get things done, unlike blowhard politicians. There are some great minds in this Forum, and I'd like to propose ..,.. an alliance. LOL - not like Survivor!! But an alliance nonetheless.

Wrap your brains around the following idea: How can we win with everything we have right now - Tebow, Sanchez, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaches, Managers, Owner. How can we win with these elements as a given:

(1) Sanchez at QB
    (2) Tebow at QB
    (3) Sparano, Rex, Tanny, and Woody

That's right. Sanchez. Tebow. Sparano. Rex. Tanny. Woody. Without insisting that either Sanchez or Tebow be the only QB or be benched / traded away. How can we use Sanchez and Tebow in a way that balances their strengths and weaknesses? Wouldn't it be a formidable offense - with a hybrid Sanchez/Tebow? Coming in and out of the game switching back and forth from different offensive plays with no time outs and no time for the other team to adjust their D. And I don't mean switching in and out quickly the stupid way Sparano does it now. Each QB can finish their freaking drive or ball possession. Oh right, McGinty -- I mean each QB can finish their ****ing drive (thanks autocensor)!

How can we use the weapons that we currently have in our arsenal to win? And keep them next year, too, since we have to. Maybe we can create an amazing new offense like nothing the NFL has ever seen before. I think this is what Ryan is trying to do in his ham-fisted way. In a separate post I'm going to share a sports column from January regarding the Pats and the Gators. I've never read it before, and maybe it'll be new to some of you as well. I'd love for us to be on the forefront of that (see article below).

Let's use our great big football brains for something besides arguing. At least we can feel like we're doing SOMETHING to help our team. We hate the calls Rex and Sparano are making now, but I bet WE can figure out something that will work before THEY can. Odds, please?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    I've read some very insightful posts on JetsInsider,

Uh.....REALLY?

ON *THIS* BOARD???

WHERE????

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Tebow, Patriots Sharpened Offense at Florida

This article was written while Tebow was still a Bronco. Here's the link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/sp...ida.html?_r=1&

Quote Originally Posted by by Judy Battista, NY Times, 1/12/12

Tim Tebow was still a high school phenomenon in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., not yet the prototypical quarterback for an offense that had begun to sweep college football, when the first phone call from Foxborough, Mass., was made to Gainesville, Fla. It was Bill Belichick, having just won his third Super Bowl early in 2005 but hoping to debrief the Florida Gators’ coach, Urban Meyer, about the spread option offense he had honed at Utah. The two did not know each other, but this kind of outreach was not unusual for Belichick, who has long made a habit of off-season tutorials with other coaches — he has talked about draft philosophy and contracts on Jimmy Johnson’s boat and spent days watching film of the running game at Navy.

But when Belichick dispatched Josh McDaniels — then his young quarterbacks coach, later his offensive coordinator and the man who drafted Tebow for the Denver Broncos in 2010 — to Florida, it was the most significant step toward creating the high-powered offense that propelled the Patriots to an undefeated regular season in 2007. Tebow will be charged with outperforming that unit Saturday night.

The Patriots’ offense, which this season ranked third in points scored, second in total yards and passing yards, and third in pass attempts, will not look too much like the one Tebow ran to such devastating effect at Florida, where he won the Heisman Trophy and two national championships, and stamped himself as a great college player.

That was a true spread option, in which Tebow not only passed for 9,285 yards in four seasons, but also ran for 2,947 yards. Tom Brady’s father once joked that Brady’s speed could be timed by a sundial, and Belichick would sooner cut him than allow Brady to run between the tackles the way Tebow, who at 6 feet 2 inches and 236 pounds is 2 inches shorter but 11 pounds heavier than Brady, does.

“We never discussed anything with the run game,” said Dan Mullen, the Mississippi State head coach, who was Meyer’s offensive coordinator and who spent two days watching film with McDaniels.

Instead, McDaniels was focused on the passing elements of the spread option, particularly the empty backfield and how to create mismatches for receivers.

“They wanted to go to an all-out passing attack with Tom Brady,” Mullen said. “A lot of their interests were in the slot receivers — how do you get the Wes Welkers matched up on a linebacker? In 2007 they had a Randy Moss, who we knew if they get one-on-one we know what we could do. Once they start zone defense, if there is zone coverage, a good slot receiver will be working on linebackers. Josh was never afraid to fit the offense around the players he had.”

The tutorial took place before the Patriots had Moss or Welker, though, and Belichick, trying to stay several steps ahead of N.F.L. trends but also loath to tip his hand, played down the significance of that meeting.

“It’s not like we’re going to do a wholesale change to that system,” Belichick said late in 2005, more than six months after McDaniels and Mullen met. “Are there plays we might use? Sure.”

They used plenty of them in 2007 when the Patriots, with McDaniels calling the plays, acquired Moss and Welker and, often employing empty backfields and shotgun snaps, shattered offensive records. The Patriots overwhelmed defenses unaccustomed to the spread-out style of play for much of that season. Because of Brady’s accuracy (he completed 68.9 percent of his passes in 2007 and 65.6 percent this season), the Patriots have been able to run plays like the ones Mullen and Meyer used at Utah with Alex Smith, now the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who was also extremely accurate in college.

This season Welker finished with 1,569 yards receiving, trailing only Detroit’s Calvin Johnson.

The Patriots run another play that is reminiscent of the triple option in which Brady sprints out of the pocket, then shovels the ball back underneath to a tight end. On that play, Mullen said, Brady has the choice of a quick throw, or the option pitch underneath. He never takes the third option — running the ball himself.

The exchange of ideas in Gainesville was not one-sided. Mullen asked McDaniels about how to protect the quarterback so he could throw deeper downfield. At that point, Chris Leak, then the Gators’ starter, was throwing short or intermediate routes, from 8 to 15 yards. When Tebow arrived in 2006, he had a booming arm, and the Gators began to throw longer passes. Tebow’s accuracy has been a source of criticism in the N.F.L., but he completed 66.4 percent of his passes in college and as a senior averaged 13.6 yards per completion.

That was why Mullen was not surprised Sunday when he watched Tebow easily connect on deep passes against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Broncos, of course, have used more of a true option offense than any other N.F.L. team this season, allowing Tebow to pitch or, even more often, run the ball himself. But with the Steelers crowding the line of scrimmage to stop the run, Tebow threw downfield, offering a wrinkle that Pittsburgh was not prepared for, but one that Tebow excelled at in college. He completed only 10 passes last Sunday, but they averaged 31.6 yards.

The New England offense has evolved since McDaniels left after the 2008 season to become Denver’s head coach. It now includes two pass-catching tight ends: Aaron Hernandez, who was at Florida with Tebow, and Rob Gronkowski. Because of their size, speed and great hands, the tight ends are mismatches for safeties, who rarely possess the same blend of size and speed to defend them.

But Mullen muses about how much further into the unpredictable the Patriots, with McDaniels soon to be the offensive coordinator again, could take the spread option. The Broncos might still hope to make Tebow look more like Brady. But suppose the Patriots made Brady sometimes play more like Tebow?

“Because they don’t run the quarterback, they don’t consider themselves spread,” Mullen said. “Most N.F.L. teams are spread teams now. A spread offense is designed to make defenses defend all 11 players. Quarterbacks can do it by being such a great passer, but if he can do both? I bet the Patriots get some unbelievable option looks that Tom could just pitch it. It would keep everybody honest.”
    I'd sure like to get ahead of Bellidouche in this area. If we can make what we have right now work, then we can proceed to develop the talent we currently have and fill in some badly needed positions during the draft. It would be great for the team to have the same coach long-term instead of a new cycle every 4 years. How long was Vince Lombardi at Green Bay? Tom Landry at Dallas? Papa Bear Halas - was he just a 3 year coach? If we can suck it up and continue to develop, we might have a winning season, then a playoffs season, and finally the Superbowl. For real. The Superbowl. Can we suck it up and work with what we have?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Uh.....REALLY?

ON *THIS* BOARD???

WHERE????

Snicker .... I actually cut and pasted some of them into a Word document so I can read them again anytime I feel like it. I thought I'd use them for material in my dissertation of why football is the biggest religion in the world. LOLOLOL I'm JK - no dissertations for me. But maybe football IS religion? After all, we go there every Sunday

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the most part football is a very simple game, micromanaging and trying to create something to co exist is a bunch of ****ing bull****.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some random ideas. Pick and choose the ones you like:

1. Never have Sanchez or Tebow as a wide out, never.
    2. End the Tebow BS; just use Tebow like they used to use Smith.
    3. Better yet junk the wildcat(see 7a below).
    4. Bench Sanchez for a game.
    5. Replace the QB coach.
    6. Dress McElroy on game days and see what he's got to offer.
    7. Make TOP the top priority and give the defense a break.
    7a. Dress all 3 QBs. If one goes 3 and out then the next guy in line is up till he goes 3 and out, etc. It can't look any more foolish then what we're doing now!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Tebow is just like Tom Brady but faster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Here are some random ideas. Pick and choose the ones you like:

1. Never have Sanchez or Tebow as a wide out, never.
    It's retarded because they NEVER get the ball thrown their way *and* it's too risky to throw it to them 'cause the opposing corner will look to utterly destroy them.

2. End the Tebow BS; just use Tebow like they used to use Smith.
    Can Tebow play ST? Brad was awesome as a KR.

3. Better yet junk the wildcat(see 7a below).
    Better yet...junk Tebow and send him to Jacksonville.

4. Bench Sanchez for a game.
    I'm sure Sanchez won't mind since he's getting PAID regardless. But Rex won't do it.

5. Replace the QB coach.
    Translation : Find somebody....ANYBODY to take the QB Coaching gig even if you have to overpay to do it. Just get Cavanaugh OUT OF HERE!!

6. Dress McElroy on game days and see what he's got to offer.
    Much more than Teblow, that's for sure.

7. Make TOP the top priority and give the defense a break.
    So scoring points is no longer a priority? THAT'S RIGHT UP MARK SANCHEZ's ALLEY!!

7a. Dress all 3 QBs. If one goes 3 and out then the next guy in line is up till he goes 3 and out, etc. It can't look any more foolish then what we're doing now!
    That would actually be funny to watch.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    7a would be a lot of fun, but I was hoping someone would actually come up with a plan.

I hoped you guys wouldn't take the easy route and say get rid of Tebow or get rid of Sanchez. CleatMarks, I didn't post the news article to claim that Tebow = Brady but faster. That wasn't my intent at all. I'm trying to show you what Belichick did and what he continues to do to remain a successful NFL coach. You don't just sit there stagnant with the same old plays all of the time. The NFL has evolved over the years and will continue to evolve. Belichick doesn't remain stagnant; he learns, improves and develops. He and his coaches develop an offense and defense that play to their athletes' strengths. That's why he's a winner. Not because he has Brady, although that sure doesn't hurt.

Rex and Sparano are trying to accomplish something different with the offense, but I don't know what the **** it is and they're not implementing it very well. College coaches have team turnover every year, and a new QB every 3 or 4 years. They manage to make things work in spite of turnover. Some college teams are always dominant - they succeed because of their coaches. They're able to get the best out of the players on their team. An NFL coach should be able to do the same, and not put all of his eggs in one basket like ... well, like Sanchez's basket.

Mwahahaha, none of you have met the challenge of how to win with what we have right now. I must ban you from all future quests LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the rule on the 3rd QB? If he plays, the other QBs can't return to the game?

edit: Ah, abolished after 2011.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please, baseball, give us relief QB's

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please, baseball, give us relief QB's
    We'll install QB bullpens in all stadiums, lol. Hell, Oakland already PLAYS in a ballpark so they've got a leg up on the rest of us!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    We'll install QB bullpens in all stadiums, lol. Hell, Oakland already PLAYS in a ballpark so they've got a leg up on the rest of us!
    LOLZ - Cracking up thinking about QB bullpens, and hoping that Tebow throws it better in the bullpen than he does in practice

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOLZ - Cracking up thinking about QB bullpens, and hoping that Tebow throws it better in the bullpen than he does in practice
    Well, he already throws like a pitcher, so.....

OHHHHHHHHHHHH, BURN!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, he already throws like a pitcher, so.....

OHHHHHHHHHHHH, BURN!
    Yep, I can have a sense of humor about TT - he's not perfect. But neither am I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I can have a sense of humor about TT - he's not perfect. But neither am I
    lol, I wish I could get paid millions for being imperfect. Hell, I can barely throw a ball 30 yards! I'M PERFECTLY IMPERFECT! Where's my million dollars, Rex?

BTW: Michonne is badass. Good icon, lol.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, I wish I could get paid millions for being imperfect. Hell, I can barely throw a ball 30 yards! I'M PERFECTLY IMPERFECT! Where's my million dollars, Rex?

BTW: Michonne is badass. Good icon, lol.
    LOL - Give me a Million and Sanchez's money too! I want it allllllllllll! What I really want though is POWER BALL LOTTERY money. 1 million just isn't enough for me any more.

Thanks for noticing Michonne. She is awesome and this season is going to be great with her on it. I tried to find a pic with her sword on the Governor's throat, but they only showed him in the frame. Aquariums of heads.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL - Give me a Million and Sanchez's money too! I want it allllllllllll! What I really want though is POWER BALL LOTTERY money. 1 million just isn't enough for me any more.

Thanks for noticing Michonne. She is awesome and this season is going to be great with her on it. I tried to find a pic with her sword on the Governor's throat, but they only showed him in the frame. Aquariums of heads.
    Yea, it's been great so far. I've never read the comics, so the whole thing is completely new to me (aside from watching the entire series).

As for the photo, you would need to find some production photos to get what you're looking for since they didn't use a shot that showed them both in the same frame in that scene.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, it's been great so far. I've never read the comics, so the whole thing is completely new to me (aside from watching the entire series).

As for the photo, you would need to find some production photos to get what you're looking for since they didn't use a shot that showed them both in the same frame in that scene.
    Oh, I should have figured that out. I haven't read the comics either, and I'm afraid to because I like what I'm seeing each week on TV. I wish she was available to coach the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I should have figured that out. I haven't read the comics either, and I'm afraid to because I like what I'm seeing each week on TV. I wish she was available to coach the Jets.
    Odds are she would find out something terrible about woody. Not only is he an idiot owner, but he also keeps zombie heads in his den.