Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking What We Have and Making It Work

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    7a would be a lot of fun, but I was hoping someone would actually come up with a plan.

I hoped you guys wouldn't take the easy route and say get rid of Tebow or get rid of Sanchez. CleatMarks, I didn't post the news article to claim that Tebow = Brady but faster. That wasn't my intent at all. I'm trying to show you what Belichick did and what he continues to do to remain a successful NFL coach. You don't just sit there stagnant with the same old plays all of the time. The NFL has evolved over the years and will continue to evolve. Belichick doesn't remain stagnant; he learns, improves and develops. He and his coaches develop an offense and defense that play to their athletes' strengths. That's why he's a winner. Not because he has Brady, although that sure doesn't hurt.

Rex and Sparano are trying to accomplish something different with the offense, but I don't know what the **** it is and they're not implementing it very well. College coaches have team turnover every year, and a new QB every 3 or 4 years. They manage to make things work in spite of turnover. Some college teams are always dominant - they succeed because of their coaches. They're able to get the best out of the players on their team. An NFL coach should be able to do the same, and not put all of his eggs in one basket like ... well, like Sanchez's basket.

Mwahahaha, none of you have met the challenge of how to win with what we have right now. I must ban you from all future quests LOL
    Excellent, excellent, excellent point which just saddens me more when it comes to the Jets brain trust.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I admire the premise of this thread. But they very problem we have is that we have minimal talent. No coach or scheme is going to turn this group into a consistent winner. That is why we are calling for big changes, b.c big changes need to be made.

This team has gone backwards, not forwards. Over three seasons they have dismantled the talent and character on this roster. It will take more than one season to get back to where we were. Our problems did not form overnight and neither will the fixes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    I've read some very insightful posts on JetsInsider, and everyone has so many ideas of how we can succeed instead of just suckseed like we've been doing. Ideas of all kinds have been thrown around: Blow it Up - Get Rid of Tanny / Ryan / Sparano / Sanchez, and/or Tebow -- Start Tebow and Bench Sanchez -- Start McElroy and bench Tebow and Sanchez -- Wildcat -- Spread or Spread Option -- Have Tebow play in the red zone or at least get a whole drive -- Trade Tebow -- Trade away all of our players for a pipe dream in the next draft -- Start all over again and wait 4 years before anything gels .... Well, I don't have to tell you the stuff we've been posting recently.

I think we can find a better solution. We're not like Congress with Democrats and Republicans refusing to work together to find common ground. We're football fans - we have a very short time to get things done, unlike blowhard politicians. There are some great minds in this Forum, and I'd like to propose ..,.. an alliance. LOL - not like Survivor!! But an alliance nonetheless.

Wrap your brains around the following idea: How can we win with everything we have right now - Tebow, Sanchez, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaches, Managers, Owner. How can we win with these elements as a given:

(1) Sanchez at QB
    (2) Tebow at QB
    (3) Sparano, Rex, Tanny, and Woody

That's right. Sanchez. Tebow. Sparano. Rex. Tanny. Woody. Without insisting that either Sanchez or Tebow be the only QB or be benched / traded away. How can we use Sanchez and Tebow in a way that balances their strengths and weaknesses? Wouldn't it be a formidable offense - with a hybrid Sanchez/Tebow? Coming in and out of the game switching back and forth from different offensive plays with no time outs and no time for the other team to adjust their D. And I don't mean switching in and out quickly the stupid way Sparano does it now. Each QB can finish their freaking drive or ball possession. Oh right, McGinty -- I mean each QB can finish their ****ing drive (thanks autocensor)!

How can we use the weapons that we currently have in our arsenal to win? And keep them next year, too, since we have to. Maybe we can create an amazing new offense like nothing the NFL has ever seen before. I think this is what Ryan is trying to do in his ham-fisted way. In a separate post I'm going to share a sports column from January regarding the Pats and the Gators. I've never read it before, and maybe it'll be new to some of you as well. I'd love for us to be on the forefront of that (see article below).

Let's use our great big football brains for something besides arguing. At least we can feel like we're doing SOMETHING to help our team. We hate the calls Rex and Sparano are making now, but I bet WE can figure out something that will work before THEY can. Odds, please?
    Sadly the Jets are not going to listen to anything we say. They still never learned to stop going empty backfield on 3rd and short, or to stop playing prevent in a one score game. We finally decided to let Tebow throw the ball of the wildcat, and then they run the exact same screen 4 times. Do you think if they ran that same play, but had Hill run deep after faking the block that maybe he'd be wide open, and that once they did that that running lanes, and the screen might open up? What if we did something really revolutionary like throw the ball on first down, or run a counter, or a bootleg, or no huddle. Well you get the idea. We need to keep the other team off balance, while keeping ourselves in a rhythm, but we've decided to do the opposite yet again. You need a feel for the game, and some cojones, to be a effective play caller, but I guess that's harder to find than I thought.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the Jets have to do is what they should have done to begin with; put Sanchez and Tebow on the field AT THE SAME TIME. The idea of pulling Sanchez and putting Tebow in hasn't worked and upsets the flow of the offense.

Put Sanchez at QB and leave him there for good. Put Tebow as one of the RB's or TE's. Either have Sanchez hand off to Tebow where he can then do the read-option thing or lateral it to Tebow at the TE spot and do the read-option from there. That's how you use Tim Tebow in this offense. That's what they should have done and should be doing with him. This would confuse defenses and dilute the pass rush towards Sanchez.

The inability to use Tebow correctly has probably cost the Jets two games so far.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And of course the Jets refusal to bring Plaxico Burress back as an endzone threat has also cost the Jets a game or two. He's out there and can still be signed, why aren't the Jets getting this done?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I admire the premise of this thread. But they very problem we have is that we have minimal talent. No coach or scheme is going to turn this group into a consistent winner. That is why we are calling for big changes, b.c big changes need to be made.

This team has gone backwards, not forwards. Over three seasons they have dismantled the talent and character on this roster. It will take more than one season to get back to where we were. Our problems did not form overnight and neither will the fixes.
    You're right, the Brain Trust has let us down as we have no depth. Why is the team so dependent on Holmes and Revis that we're incapable of winning without them? Who the hell took it on faith that this season would be injury free? That risky gamble did NOT pay off. Going for a quick fix to try and win the Superbowl every season with free agents shows a fatal lack of common sense by Tanny and Rex. They fail to nurture and develop our rookies, which is imperative for long-term success. Instead of building thru the draft they stock our team with FAs.

I agree that it will take time to repair the damage. I just hate the revolving door for Head Coach that goes on in the NFL every 4 years. A long term coach keeps an eye on the future needs of a team while making the "right now" team a winner. We need strong winning seasons and the ability to get to the playoffs consistently before we can win a Superbowl. The Jets keep trying find a shortcut by hiring mercenaries and that is a crap shoot. I want the Jets to be a contender EVERY year and a dominant team like the Pats. This instant gratification BS is not sustainable.

LIJets, thanks for distilling my post down to the most important thing: coaches who can get the best out of their players can turn average players into consistent winners. They don't have to be elite - they can just be solid and reliable - we can win games that way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say we have no talent, we have young talent. Stephen Hill is talented, but young. Kerley is talented, but young. Bilal Powell is talented but young. Our O-line is fairly experienced. Our QB has four years under his belt. Our defense has talent too.

Basically we have some young talented players on offense that are being asked a lot of. Bringing Plaxico back would have helped this situation, especially after Holmes went down. Why MT hasn't resigned him is beyond me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    And of course the Jets refusal to bring Plaxico Burress back as an endzone threat has also cost the Jets a game or two. He's out there and can still be signed, why aren't the Jets getting this done?
    I thought Plax didn't want to come back?

And besides, Plax burned some bridges here anyway.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Sadly the Jets are not going to listen to anything we say. They still never learned to stop going empty backfield on 3rd and short, or to stop playing prevent in a one score game. We finally decided to let Tebow throw the ball of the wildcat, and then they run the exact same screen 4 times. Do you think if they ran that same play, but had Hill run deep after faking the block that maybe he'd be wide open, and that once they did that that running lanes, and the screen might open up? What if we did something really revolutionary like throw the ball on first down, or run a counter, or a bootleg, or no huddle. Well you get the idea. We need to keep the other team off balance, while keeping ourselves in a rhythm, but we've decided to do the opposite yet again. You need a feel for the game, and some cojones, to be a effective play caller, but I guess that's harder to find than I thought.
    Those play calls drive me bat-sh*t crazy. They're old and unimaginative. I can't figure out what the h*ll Sparano & Rex are trying to do. You'd think a former DC would know SOMETHING about the offense. After all, the defense has to come up with formations and plays to counteract various offensive schemes in order to stop a drive. We absolutely need to surprise our opponents and the plays the coaches are putting out there defy logic.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I thought Plax didn't want to come back?

And besides, Plax burned some bridges here anyway.....
    How did Plax burn bridges to the Jets? He never said anything last year and just did his job. Put up 8 TD's and over 650 recieving yards in a Brian Schottenheimer system (NOT BAD!). Gave us a legit 6-5" endzone threat too. There really is no excuse for him not being in a Jets uniform right now. This has been the biggest mistake our GM has made.