Thread: Tannenbaum Was OK When Mangini Was Running the Show

Tannenbaum Was OK When Mangini Was Running the Show

When Mangini had a lot of input in the personnel and player acquisition aspect of the organization, Tannenbaum was not an issue. By this time, everyone must know that Tannenbaum really is essentially a bean counter who has an alarmingly low understanding of the competitive football aspect of the game. But when someone as intelligent and knowledgeable as Mangini had a heavy input in the draft, player signings, and overall roster management of the team, the organization was doing well as far as player personnel issues were concerned, and seemed to be going in a constructive direction. But ever since Tannenbaum was paired up with Rex Ryan, the player personnel management... has slowly (but surely) been going in the wrong direction (to put it mildly). It hasn't just been treating draft picks in a laissez faire manner, it has also been an issue of bringing in players with character issues (and even a few who are terribly disruptive in the locker room and "cancers").
    If they replaced Tannenbaum with someone else, would Rex Ryan still have heavy input in the personnel decisions? If Tannenbaum could be a non-issue with Mangini, then some (or a lot) of the accountability for the personnel issues has to fall with Rex Ryan. So the answer might be bringing in a head coach who could also bring in the right kind of players as well as being a good head coach. Rex Ryan has proven that he can run his father's defensive scheme well. But there must have been some reason why he and Pettine were canned in Baltimore.

Hall Of Fame
    I am not sure Mangini ever "ran the show". However he does seem to be a better judge of talent than Rex has been.

Or the simple fact that Mangini was a better coach, instilled discipline and knew how to develop players better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Was he?
    a lot of revisionist history around these parts lately.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    a lot of revisionist history around these parts lately.
    This mess did not happen overnight. That's for damn sure.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Nothing but SB's, good times good times.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    This mess did not happen overnight. That's for damn sure.
    You almost made me cry, glad to see others know what's been going on.

I think the thread title is wrong. It should read :

Tannenbaum was OK When PARCELLS was running the show

'Cause really....Tanny's skill is crunching the Numbers, NOT being the Jets GM.