Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Offense works Best with a 3-RB Attack

Jets Offense works Best with a 3-RB Attack

Pretty obvious today.

None of the three are good enough or durable enough for a full-time-job.

Combined, they might just be decent enough.

Glad to see, after all this time, the idea might have actualloy sunk into Jets O Coaching.

^ We'll see if this is the idea going forward, Warfish, or if this just was a flash-in-the-pan and Rex ignores the obvious(which could happen).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Pretty obvious today.

Glad to see, after all this time, the idea might have actualloy sunk into Jets O Coaching.
    I think the two most encouraging plays were the screen pass to Powell and the wheel route to McKnight. Thats a dimension that has been missing from this offense.

um ... duh. I've been saying this since last year. We haven't had an everydown back since Thomas Jones. I'm shocked its taking this long to utilize McKnight ... and he's still being underused. He's such a threat from the backfield as a receiver and we never use him.

Veteran
    More Powell, please.

I'm not optimistic that this is the case, but maybe today turned the light on that the Jets need more Powell/McKnight out of the backfield and less of Tim Momentum-Killer Tebow.

As long as all three can pass block then I am all for it... In the past we were predictable by our personnel because we have so many one dimensional players... At least McKnight has multiple skill sets...

Let's see what happens this thursday against NE.

If they go with the 3-RB committee again, the Jets may have a shot.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Pretty obvious today.

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's a function of not sinking in as opposed to them rarely being healthy at the same times.

All League
    I thought Powell played nicely when his number was called. I just care about them being prepared when they are in fact called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Agreed, but I'm not sure it's a function of not sinking in as opposed to them rarely being healthy at the same times.
    Thats certainly been an issue thus far, aye.

And as others have said, I'm not exactly optimistic that the Coaching Staff "gets it" yet that use of all three > running primarily Greene.

Pretty obvious today.

I agree.

They always did well in 2009/2010 with two back approach.

They could still go back to that with Shonn Greene, they just need a workhorse RB that they can give the bulk of the carries to during the regular season. They do not have that workhorse at this moment.

So this is the best approach when you do not have the talent for other, more refined approaches.

Jets Insider VIP
    What works best with this team is to play other bad teams. We could have a 10 back system and its still not a gonna make a difference....

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The running game did look much better today. Powell's not starting caliber but he's a little more shifty than Greene, glad to see that he got more carries than usual.

All Pro
    truthfully it looks better with the less carries Greene gets..

Running game looked a bit better today, but I think some of it has to do with better play calling. Not as many calls for RB up the middle with straight ahead blocking. There was more kinetic action as dlinemen were being turned or attacked from angles instead of straight ahead.

Doesn't hurt that St. Louis was often running a wide 9 D and Sparano attacked that gap.

Veteran
    Keep it real guys and don't forget about the D we faced there.

Honestly can't believe what I'm reading.

The running backs produced 120 yards on 39 carries.

It's like the QB that throws for 300 yards........on 50 attempts.

The passing game was efficient. The running game was bad.

We won the game because the defense played an excellent game against a bad offense. A bad offense that they just spent several years practicing against.

The defense not only shutdown the Rams offense, they routinely set the offense up with great field position.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Honestly can't believe what I'm reading.

The running backs produced 120 yards on 39 carries.

It's like the QB that throws for 300 yards........on 50 attempts.

The passing game was efficient. The running game was bad.

We won the game because the defense played an excellent game against a bad offense. A bad offense that they just spent several years practicing against.

The defense not only shutdown the Rams offense, they routinely set the offense up with great field position.

I agree with your overall conclusion about the game. That said, even with it being against the Rams, there were some very nice moments in the running game. Granted, there was still a lot of the same old ****, but perhaps, just maybe, Sparano might look at what worked and emphasize that a bit more in the future.