Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: antonio cromartie a defensive beast!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Agreed, but I think Wilkerson has a higher ceiling than Ellis. He is just a more powerful player than Ellis. While one inch shorter than Ellis, Wilkerson is 30 pounds heavier. He is already a better bull-rusher than Ellis ever was. This also allows him to play anywhere along the line. Ellis was a great Jet, consistently playing his position above average and he had some games where he really changed the outcome. But Wilkerson "could" become a lineman the other team has to game plan for because I think he is simply too strong to count on an OL consistently blocking him 1 on 1.
    +1 Remember when Hermie told Ellis to bulk up to play DT?? That was a failure but Mo can play anywhere on the D front..

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Actually, that Ball was perfectly-placed just out of Cro's finger-tips. The other QB makes plays, too. Don't forget....

What I didn't like was that either the "D" mailed it in there OR it was a Prevent Defense......
    +1, game was over at that point anyway. Cro missed deflecting that ball by only a couple of inches.

Is it me, or did Cro finally learn how to hit, and hit hard. He layed someone out last week to, I think it was the TE too (??)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He did give up that TD catch. But it looked like the entire D mailed it in on that drive. Would love to see these guys play a complete game.

That said, Cro has been fantastic. Wish he would just keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking b.c if he did that I think he would get a lot more respect around the league.

Another guy who played well today was Harris. It has been a bad year for him thus far. Hopefully today was a turning point for him.
    +1 on the Harris comment. I was riding him pretty hard this week and he really had a very nice game. Looked like there was some quickness in his step. I haven't given the game a second watching yet, but I'm going to guess that the line in front of him had a good game as well, allowing him to make plays. Being that we haven't seen much out of Pouha this year either, that would also be a positive sign.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Agreed, but I think Wilkerson has a higher ceiling than Ellis. He is just a more powerful player than Ellis. While one inch shorter than Ellis, Wilkerson is 30 pounds heavier. He is already a better bull-rusher than Ellis ever was. This also allows him to play anywhere along the line. Ellis was a great Jet, consistently playing his position above average and he had some games where he really changed the outcome. But Wilkerson "could" become a lineman the other team has to game plan for because I think he is simply too strong to count on an OL consistently blocking him 1 on 1.
    From your mouth to God's ears. I'm a big fan of Wilkerson, he has played gr8 as of late. I hope he destroys Tom Gaydy on Thursday.

(In my fantasy league, I traded Stephen Hill for Mo Wilk str8 up, it is looking like a steal now.... as Hill can't catch.)

Quote Originally Posted by cjpeters9 View Post
    +1, game was over at that point anyway. Cro missed deflecting that ball by only a couple of inches.

Is it me, or did Cro finally learn how to hit, and hit hard. He layed someone out last week to, I think it was the TE too (??)
    Cro has definitely stepped up but he still cant TACKLE. Yes he can hit a guy who is in the process of making a catch. Anybody could lay the wood there..
    But 1on1 he still cant tackle. Bush gave him a nasty stiff arm 2 weeks ago. Steven Jackson ran right over him yesterday.

Wilkerson is turning into an absolute star... Guy is still so young too. Hopefully he stays healthy and keeps getting better. Will be a pro bowler on this trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Wilkerson is turning into an absolute star... Guy is still so young too. Hopefully he stays healthy and keeps getting better. Will be a pro bowler on this trajectory.
    +1.....With so many 1st round disappointments on this team, its encouraging to see that at least one of them possibly have an upside. Keep trucking Mo Wilk.

Cro is not only playing lights out right now, he's been so much more physical this season then we have ever seen throughout his career. He's still not the toughest CB in the league but certainly not the biggest ***** anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Landry has shown Cro the way to the big hits...

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Cro has definitely stepped up but he still cant TACKLE. Yes he can hit a guy who is in the process of making a catch. Anybody could lay the wood there..
    But 1on1 he still cant tackle. Bush gave him a nasty stiff arm 2 weeks ago. Steven Jackson ran right over him yesterday.
    I agree 1000 % HE CANT TACKLE, now has he been playing better on coverage, oh yeah he is all pro coverage guy this year and pee wee tackler this year as well.

The only corner I would take over Cromartie this year is Tillman, who is probable NFC DPOY.

Cromartie has been outstanding this season.

Watt locked down DPOY, but Cro is far and away the best CB in the AFC so far in my opinion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Better corner for us: Cromartie or Aaron Glenn?

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The only corner I would take over Cromartie this year is Tillman, who is probable NFC DPOY.

Cromartie has been outstanding this season.

Watt locked down DPOY, but Cro is far and away the best CB in the AFC so far in my opinion.
    agree now get revis healthy and no one throws on us next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    agree now get revis healthy and no one throws on us next season.

They'll throw forever because they eventually get open. Pass rush is still pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    They'll throw forever because they eventually get open. Pass rush is still pretty pathetic.
    disagree. wilkerson is improving and coples and ellis can only get better. that and draft or sign some speed at lb and we fix the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Rex's scheme is almost exclusively Man. Cro.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    disagree. wilkerson is improving and coples and ellis can only get better. that and draft or sign some speed at lb and we fix the defense.
    Neither are double-team beaters.

They will need a speed rushing OLB/DE hybrid type guy. Obviously one better than Maybin.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 Remember when Hermie told Ellis to bulk up to play DT?? That was a failure but Mo can play anywhere on the D front..
    That move backfired big time because it led to the Jets needing to find another DE to play opposite Abraham and as a result they drafted Bryan Thomas instead of Ed Reed.

Also Wilkerson looks fantastic. He's already a better player than Ellis was. Ellis is kinda overrated because of his longevity with the Jets. Ellis had a tendency to become invisible for weeks at a time and rarely would his play stick out on Sundays as one of the Jets best defensive players like Wilkerson's play has been doing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    I can't argue the point you make here, all I'm saying is that two weeks in a row I jumped off my couch suprised that Cro hit someone and HARD.

Up to this point, there are no basic average tackles, let alone big hits in my memory bank since he has been on the Jets.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Yeah I agree with the previous poster who said Cro, mainly because how big an advantage the offense has and Rex plays alot of man, with the top corner being the "shadow" on opponents top receiving threat.

Glenn was great too though. Him and first Otis Smith, then Coleman was a very good duo as well.

Remember the years in-between Glenn and Revis? Guys like Abraham, Barrett etc were OK..
    .but man we have been spoiled since

ALSO....can't forget my Main Man Mickens at the nickel....loved that guy!

Sent from my LG-P999