Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't we enjoy a win?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    you never know, if sanchez can get his act together, the D cont to play better, powell gets more PT, they could go on a run.
    Is that the Powell that the board know it all fans wanted cut last season?? Jets going with all three backs is the right way to go..

Powell has a couple of nice fourth quarter runs in one game and now he's Herschel Walker?

Oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    The Jets were in 3 " Finals " in that period, have as much SBs as those 3 in that period.....more winning seasons than Arizona, SF, playoff wins are right up their with Chicago.

Point is, half of these Jets fans remind me of the kid that bangs their foot and cries for an hour. You aren't the only fans that haven't won a SB, and you have had more success than 2/3rds of the NFL last 14 years.......quit the btchin or go become a Pats fan.

Sent from my LG-P999
    I totally enjoyed the Mets in the mid 60's. The problem really happened after the won and created some expectations. The problem I have as a Jets fan is not that we suck, which we do, not the quality of the games the NFL puts out every week which sucks, which it does, it's the expectation by the entire NFL marketing machine and the NY Jets Marketing machine that we actually have a great football product.

Here's what I see, mediocre teams playing tight mediocre games week in and week out. A NY Jets team that hasn't fielded anything outstanding since 98 and for a short burst in 2008. The fact that other cities have had less percieved success isn't the problem. The fact is the product is very mediocre and it's being sold as something outstanding.

I'm a fan but I'm not a chump.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Is that the Powell that the board know it all fans wanted cut last season?? Jets going with all three backs is the right way to go..
    I admit I was one of them. He was terrible last yr in preseason and showed nothing in his limited time. I can only go by what I see. Maybe he needed a yr to adjust but he has looked so much better this yr. I'm not saying he's a pro-bowler or anything, but he definitely has some skills and he arguably may be better than greene. (def a better catcher and blocker for sure)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    No. We are an Average to bad team with a terrible QB and a mismanaged roster. This means we are going to get even worse before we get better because the pipeline for young talent and general roster depth is not in place.

What is worse and to Borgo's points, every win in a year where the playoffs are not a realistic possibility represents a move away from the top of the draft where the true game changing talent is available. If you do not buy this then look at what the Colts and Redskins managed to collect for themselves with high draft positions. As Borgo also points out, each of these wins also increases the outside chance that the same gang of clowns who created this mess in the first place might actually keep their jobs.
    You play to win....period. Hoping for a better draft position is ridiculous.

And this team is NOT replete of talent. This team will be partially overhauled next year, and completely overhauled in two years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Powell has a couple of nice fourth quarter runs in one game and now he's Herschel Walker?

Oh boy.
    SOJF line is on the other post....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The dominating, resounding win against the Rams surely wasn't pretty enough for me. If the Jets win on Thursday, it better be prettier than that pig they painted lipstick on yesterday. If not, even I will be on the wagon wanting the entire organization fired....jeez

Oh boy.
    See, in a nutshell, that's one of the things wrong with our fan base, and why people in NY and around the country think we're morons. After a win or two everyone starts shouting Super Bowl, and after a JAG like Powell actually f**king does something for once (not that much actually when you look at our opponent yesterday), he's entrenched as our number one RB headed to the HOF. WTF?

At best, Powell is a #2/#3 RB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    I admit I was one of them. He was terrible last yr in preseason and showed nothing in his limited time. I can only go by what I see. Maybe he needed a yr to adjust but he has looked so much better this yr. I'm not saying he's a pro-bowler or anything, but he definitely has some skills and he arguably may be better than greene. (def a better catcher and blocker for sure)
    It's one thing to call for a player to be cut. It's another to say he's garbage, he'll never be any good, whoever drafted him should be fired, and whoever defends the pick is an idiot. You can make judgment calls, but whenever someone is sure they're right it's a clear sign they're ignorant, because no one ever knows for sure.

Because our fan base has undergone years of regime changes and haven't enjoyed any continuity....that's what we are used to...when things go bad we want change therefore the only way the make that change happen is to lose....Jets fans are only happy when we get a new GM, HC or OC because it gives us hope.....then when he fails to deliver.......we want change....so thats why we cant enjoy this win...we want what we are used to-someone new the come in to give us hope...only to see him fail...its the same with our draft picks...Which is why this franchise will never win a Super Bowl...its like a broken record

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You play to win....period. Hoping for a better draft position is ridiculous.

And this team is NOT replete of talent. This team will be partially overhauled next year, and completely overhauled in two years.
    No. Sorry that tired old line is just that. A tired old line. If you have a team that can contend, you go for it. If you have a bottom third of the league team, which we are in my opinion then you do what the Colts did last year and you you "invest" in the future by playing whatever kids you have even if that means an extra loss or two.

A better draft position is the furthest possible thing from "ridiculous". At the top end of the first round is where the difference makers are taken. If you are not picking 32nd overall and we have zero chance of picking 32nd overall this year then the #1 or the #3 overall is light years more valuable to the future of this franchise than the #12 or #15 overall.

Light years.

Anything else is repeating the stupidity of the past. We tried it your way and ended up with Vernon Gholston from an utterly meaningless game 16 win.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I'm pissed too, I expected more, but this season smacked me with reality.
    There are only 5-6 great QBs in the league & unfortunately we don't have one of them.
    Bart Scott, Calvin Pace are old slow & shot. How many LBs would be caught as fast as he was on that fumble recovery?
    Hills hands are horrendous, our best WR is our slot guy Kerley.
    But, I'm hoping Davis can step up, maybe Sapp will show something, & if we could finally find a pass rushing demon in the draft it will make Mo & Coples that much harder to block.
    The Tebow thing is an unmitigated disaster & Sparano should just shelve it except on goal line.
    It is what it is, but I still watch & hope for wins.
    It is not that we do not have one of the 5-6 great QBs in the league. Yes we do not have one of those but that is not our problem. The problem is that we have the 30th-32nd best QB in the league over the four years of his career as measured by the numbers.

By the numbers.

Teams can survive and overcome a so-so QB. They cannot survive what we have. That is the issue.

We can enjoy a win. The problem is, the Jets haven't beaten a good team since they knocked off the Pats in the playoffs. That was almost two full years ago. Beating up on bottom feeders is not exactly a good reason to stick your chest out.

I guarantee you that if the Jets win on Thursday, there will be plenty here enjoying the win. I currently side with those who say this current regime has run its course and needs to go, but if the unthinkable happens and the Jets run the table it will mean the following:

- Sanchez got it together and played consistently well for half a season
    - The defense returned to upper-tier performance
    - The coach had this team fired up and ready to play for 7 straight games

If those three things happen, then the FO does deserve another year. But we all know that's highly unlikely, and most Jets fans won't be enjoying wins until that's what they represent.

Because yesterday just shows that this team was not prepared to play the Miami game and Seattle games in which they scored no touchdowns on off.

Why?

Because this team is in no way shape or form close to contending. As a fan base over the years we have had hundreds of wins that lead to nowhere.

There is also a real dread that the team will win just enough games for the people in charge to think we are better than we are ans 'close' to contending.

We can still enjoy wins even in the state the Jets are in however. We just have to beat a good team. Beat NE on TG and people will enjoy it a lot.

Oh boy.
    Who the hell said that?
    This is what I'm talking about. I mentioned that he could be a Kevin Faulk type back.
    Just because he may turn out to be a really good backup versitile RB? That alone is a very positive thing if the Jets end up getting lucky & get a legit starter in the draft.
    How do we know that Clyde gates might not become a nice 4th low paid WR?

Granted, we all know we need some frontline stars on offence in this coming draft but guys like Powell, Gates, Reuland could be the depth we have so sorely needed over the years & will be much further along when we shed Bart & Paces horrible contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    How come when we win a game, we get the same jets fans disparaging the win?
    Can't we just enjoy & have some hope?
    We know the Rams aren't great, but they did beat the Seahawks, should have beaten the 49ers on the road.
    Are they a great team? No
    But this is the NFL
    Look at the Jags vs Texans yesterday
    The only reason the Pats are so tough to beat is they score tons of points, having the best QB in history, playing in the same system for years.
    Playing from behind is not easy.
    We're an average team with an average QB, so every win is a good win.
    If you look at the Patriots, even without Gronk they still have more weapons & experience on offense.
    Now we have fans telling other fans, " how dare you enjoy a win, we suck, the Rams suck.
    I don't understand why fans like that would even enjoy football?
    Really, what is the point of turning the TV on if you can't enjoy it?
    What do they say if we beat the Pats?
    Too little too late?
    How would you like to be an Eagles fan?
    Imagine if we had the Eagles offensive players & lost 6 in a row?
    This is a fair post, but people get very over-reactionary after wins around here and as others pointed out, if this team gets to 7 or 8 wins, the whole gang will return next year. You don't have to apologize for a win in this league, especially when you looked good doing it, but perspective needs to be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    See, in a nutshell, that's one of the things wrong with our fan base, and why people in NY and around the country think we're morons. After a win or two everyone starts shouting Super Bowl, and after a JAG like Powell actually f**king does something for once (not that much actually when you look at our opponent yesterday), he's entrenched as our number one RB headed to the HOF. WTF?

At best, Powell is a #2/#3 RB.
    Agreed.

Remember LaMont Jordan? LOL.

every win in a year where the playoffs are not a realistic possibility represents a move away from the top of the draft where the true game changing talent is available.
    /thread

I'm not "enjoying" the win because it was far from a well-executed victory.

1. Fail to score a TD after E.Smith INT on opponents 13 yard line.

2. Blocked FG

3. Botched fake punt

4. Running plays on 3rd and goal and 3rd and 6 in Red Zone. While both were successful (because they resulted in TDs) I question the judgement behind those play calls. Would have preferred to see crisply-executed pass plays for TDs in those situations.

5. Run defense still somewhat shaky due to LB play and Pou'ha's back.