Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: How do they do it?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    It's all about the offense they run - it's designed to prevent QB pressure. That team has to still be depressed about losing the first SB against the Giants, and it's almost like Brady and Belichick decided at that moment that they would never allow QB pressure to be the reason they lose a game again.

    So instead of bombs away to Randy Moss, it's quick routes to good short-area receivers like Welker, Edelman, Woodhead, Hernandez, etc. Gronk is open as soon as the ball is snapped. How do you sack a QB when he has receivers open before he even finishes his drop?

    As already stated, the only way to consistently beat Brady is to have someone in his face before he finds the guy that's inevitably open. And that means you have less than 4 seconds to get there.

    Pretty much. And the Giants have a proven ability to do that, and that's why they are the one team the Pats don't really have an answer for. The Jets are also able to do this, and I think you will see it over and over again on thursday.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    And that's a bad strategy against the Pats. Rather than doing that the Giants gun thier big D-lineman towards the point of release (Tom Brady).
    Agreed.

  3. #23
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Folks forget what a mastermind he was as our DC. His defensive schemes saved Parcells a bunch of times.

    IMO, Bellicheat's best attribute, and Rex' biggest failing, is his ability to adapt and do it quickly and on the fly. Plus, he grasps all aspects of his team.
    I give BB a ton of credit, but lets not pretend that the Pats' recent defenses are anything above average. Those Super Bowl teams had some great balance, but the best thing you can say about the Pats defenses of the past 3-5 years is that they've been opportunistic. If they don't get a turnover, they are going to have a very long day.

    The real essence of BB is not simply that he's a defensive genius, but rather he is a well rounded football mind. He operated without an OC for quite a while. And while he may not be the guy calling and designing every play, I fully believe that he is behind the philosophy of the pats Offense, as well as their defense. Whether its pursuing the TEs, the hurry up, or whatever they are implementing.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I give BB a ton of credit, but lets not pretend that the Pats' recent defenses are anything above average. Those Super Bowl teams had some great balance, but the best thing you can say about the Pats defenses of the past 3-5 years is that they've been opportunistic. If they don't get a turnover, they are going to have a very long day.

    The real essence of BB is not simply that he's a defensive genius, but rather he is a well rounded football mind. He operated without an OC for quite a while. And while he may not be the guy calling and designing every play, I fully believe that he is behind the philosophy of the pats Offense, as well as their defense. Whether its pursuing the TEs, the hurry up, or whatever they are implementing.
    My point was that BB was a defensive genius as our DC. Now, astoundingly, he's morphed into more of an offensive-minded HC. But still maintaining control over all aspects of his team.

  5. #25
    Also, I wonder what the Giant stat is for deflected passes? Not only do they rush the passer effectively but they always seem to have thier hands in the air deflecting passes and making it hard for the QB to see his recievers.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    My point was that BB was a defensive genius as our DC. Now, astoundingly, he's morphed into more of an offensive-minded HC. But still maintaining control over all aspects of his team.
    If he's such a defensive genius, then why can't he turn his Swiss Cheese defense around?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    If he's such a defensive genius, then why can't he turn his Swiss Cheese defense around?
    Were you a Jet fan when BB was our DC? If so, you would appreciate the guy's talent. Is BB a personality challenged idiot? Yes. But also a gifted coach? No doubt.

  8. #28
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,197
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    If he's such a defensive genius, then why can't he turn his Swiss Cheese defense around?
    Because his secondary sucks. And, BB the GM is merely average. Having a HOF QB fall into your lap in the 6th round, notwithstanding.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I don't know why it's so hard for some people to figure it out...

    Guys like Brady and Peyton Manning have such a great grasp of the pocket on each play that they understand when they have time and when they don't.
    You know, for the most part most of the guys answering this question talk about the great coaching ect. but the above statement probably is closest to the truth.
    You can't blame Rex for being a coach in a division with the one of the best QBs in the history of football.
    Aarron Rogers right now is the BEST QB in football but the experience in the scheme that the Pats run & have run for many years is hard to beat, & just think Scarnecchia has been there his entire career.
    It's laughable to think that the Pats could run this scheme WITHOUT Tom Brady. I'm amazed at how fast TB makes decisions.
    I've been a fan of the Jets since 1968 & realize that the Jets will not have another chance at winning the AFC east until this guy either gets too old or retires.
    It is what it is.
    The Jets went all out 2009 & 2010, & came close. Problem is when you go all out you get saddled with FA contracts & lost draft picks.
    This coming draft might be the most important draft in the clubs history related to Brady & how long he can play at the level he's at.
    Jets need to work towards that time by finding some studs & getting the salary cap managed so they can add a couple of pieces to complete the puzzle.

  10. #30
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Were you a Jet fan when BB was our DC? If so, you would appreciate the guy's talent. Is BB a personality challenged idiot? Yes. But also a gifted coach? No doubt.
    He's also a bad dresser.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Were you a Jet fan when BB was our DC? If so, you would appreciate the guy's talent. Is BB a personality challenged idiot? Yes. But also a gifted coach? No doubt.
    I was...but still have doubts about his genius when he can't turn that defense around...they're bad, really really bad dude

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    You know, for the most part most of the guys answering this question talk about the great coaching ect. but the above statement probably is closest to the truth.
    You can't blame Rex for being a coach in a division with the one of the best QBs in the history of football.
    Aarron Rogers right now is the BEST QB in football but the experience in the scheme that the Pats run & have run for many years is hard to beat, & just think Scarnecchia has been there his entire career.
    It's laughable to think that the Pats could run this scheme WITHOUT Tom Brady. I'm amazed at how fast TB makes decisions.
    I've been a fan of the Jets since 1968 & realize that the Jets will not have another chance at winning the AFC east until this guy either gets too old or retires.
    It is what it is.
    The Jets went all out 2009 & 2010, & came close. Problem is when you go all out you get saddled with FA contracts & lost draft picks.
    This coming draft might be the most important draft in the clubs history related to Brady & how long he can play at the level he's at.
    Jets need to work towards that time by finding some studs & getting the salary cap managed so they can add a couple of pieces to complete the puzzle.
    They did in 2008 and won 11 games with a qb that hadn't started since high school.

  13. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    He's also a bad dresser.
    I thought hoodies were fashionable in NY

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I was...but still have doubts about his genius when he can't turn that defense around...they're bad, really really bad dude
    I'm sure as a lawyer (I think you said you were a lawyer), you can tell the difference between a good lawyer and a truly great lawyer better than the average lay person. I know in my field I can. The same is true in football. Those who are in the field, know who the real leaders are.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I give BB a ton of credit, but lets not pretend that the Pats' recent defenses are anything above average. Those Super Bowl teams had some great balance, but the best thing you can say about the Pats defenses of the past 3-5 years is that they've been opportunistic. If they don't get a turnover, they are going to have a very long day.

    The real essence of BB is not simply that he's a defensive genius, but rather he is a well rounded football mind. He operated without an OC for quite a while. And while he may not be the guy calling and designing every play, I fully believe that he is behind the philosophy of the pats Offense, as well as their defense. Whether its pursuing the TEs, the hurry up, or whatever they are implementing.
    I give their defense zero credit. If not for Tom Brady & that offense scoring at will they wouldn't be so OPPORTUNISTIC.
    Easy to play back, jump routes, blitz, when your up at home by 21 points & the opposing team hasn't made you punt until the 3rd quarter.
    As much as we crucify Rex & the defensive play calling he's working under an entirely different set of circumstances regarding his offence.
    When the Jets get big leads which is pretty rare, the defense USUALLY has a field say.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,337
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Because his secondary sucks. And, BB the GM is merely average. Having a HOF QB fall into your lap in the 6th round, notwithstanding.

    I disagree...has to be coaching, and defensive schemes

    The Giants DB's are far worse than the Pats....they're playing McCourty now at safety, so they have coverage ability with he and Gregory back there

    Maybe he hasn't changed his mindset defensively, where he has changed things offensively for todays passing NFL....who knows, but I don't think the Pats lack talent back there

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    They did in 2008 and won 11 games with a qb that hadn't started since high school.
    PLEASE STOP!

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    He's also a bad dresser.

    (lol)

    You know what the #1 Patriots clothing item sold is.... the gray hoodie. True

    He's a trend setter.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    PLEASE STOP!
    ditto

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Folks forget what a mastermind he was as our DC. His defensive schemes saved Parcells a bunch of times.

    IMO, Bellicheat's best attribute, and Rex' biggest failing, is his ability to adapt and do it quickly and on the fly. Plus, he grasps all aspects of his team.
    This, this, and all about THIS!

    Bellicheck isn't married to Defense. In fact he isn't married to any one philosophy or style. He is a true genius of the game on BOTH sides of the ball. Once he realized he had something special at QB he has devoted himself to learning and becoming an offensive guru. Belicheck could look at any team and figure out the best course of action of what makes that team play best, whether it's offense or defense.

    Rex is married to one way, one philosophy, and one side of the ball. His theory would not change even if we had Tom Brady as our QB. Resources would continue to pour on the defensive side of the ball.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us