Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was It Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Admit it.

You want to get on McGinley's good side.....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Look, the sooner people realize that Rex, Tanny and Mark are all going to be back next year, the sooner people can just sit back and be a fan of your team. All this hoping for a loss so this guy can get fired or this guy can get cut is futile. Enjoy the game, root for the Jets and hope for the best. Trust me you will feel better about it.
    +1

Let's enjoy watching our young players develop...see who can be a part of our long time plans....

Tanny and co will have their day...as all dogs do...but it wont be after this season...

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Admit it.

You want to get on McGinley's good side.....
    i've never been on his bad side?

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    F-ing pathetic...can't even enjoy a solid win without b1tching
    Shut up, really man

I agree with the OP. I feel exactly the same about the team
    as I did on Sunday morning. The organization needs to be gutted

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    We should know better than anyone that high draft picks don't always pan out. Marino went 18th I believe, Montana was a third rounder and Brady was a sixth rounder. Picking in the middle of the first round can be better. Less pressure on the player and less money involved.
    Marino didn't go until 27th I believe, but that's a good point and one that's being made in other threads today. It just doesn't make any sense to tank a season with this many games left, as if a top-5 pick makes the draft any less of a crapshoot.

In the same draft, Alex Smith went #1 overall and Aaron Rodgers was in the 20s. The best defensive player selected in the past 6 years was taken in the teens.

The exception to this rule (in my eyes) is when you're in Week 17, and a meaningless game could mean the difference between 2 or 3 draft spots. I do believe the Jets should have tanked the KC game a few years ago when they were 3-12 and a loss would have guaranteed them a shot at Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden. But to tank a season before you're mathematically eliminated is a punk move, and I for one couldn't respect a coaching staff that allowed that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i've never been on his bad side?

Hmmmm....Now that I think about it, I don't think McGinley has a bad side.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Marino didn't go until 27th I believe, but that's a good point and one that's being made in other threads today. It just doesn't make any sense to tank a season with this many games left, as if a top-5 pick makes the draft any less of a crapshoot.

In the same draft, Alex Smith went #1 overall and Aaron Rodgers was in the 20s. The best defensive player selected in the past 6 years was taken in the teens.

The exception to this rule (in my eyes) is when you're in Week 17, and a meaningless game could mean the difference between 2 or 3 draft spots. I do believe the Jets should have tanked the KC game a few years ago when they were 3-12 and a loss would have guaranteed them a shot at Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden. But to tank a season before you're mathematically eliminated is a punk move, and I for one couldn't respect a coaching staff that allowed that to happen.
    +1. Being the 1-15 team to have a long shot chance at getting a franchise changing player is for losers. God knows we've had many high picks in the past. I'd rather be good and try and steal a stud in the middle of the round 1. That Kansas City game REALLY hurt though. Gholston baby!

Actually, most teams that suck and end up at the top of the draft continue to suck for years and years.

The teams that rise up do so from the 6-10 to 9-7 range, not the 2-14 to 5-11 range.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Honestly guys, we are now 4-6 and we are one step closer to the dreaded 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 season. What do any of those records get us? So we play another "meaningful" game this week? Great. Then we get stomped on by the Pats and we are back to reality. I will root hard for the win this week, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

I have never done this before but I have never felt this bleak about the team in my young lifetime: I am basically rooting for the Jets to lose each week at this point, or at least not win the games. I want to see a complete overhaul of this organization, as well as the QB, WR, RB positions. If we get to a .500 season, I don't see those things happen, or at least not as many changes as we need.

We need a new GM.

We may need a hew HC.

We may need a new OC.

We probably need a new QB.

We need a new WR.

We need a new RB.

I love the "great win" from yesterday, but I want to bring everyone back to reality and help you remember how we felt after last week: THIS TEAM SUCKS. This organization sucks from the top down.

I don't know about you, but going 8-8 and "feeling good" for another week doesn't mean **** to me down the stretch. I want to see major changes in this organization next year and I don't see that happening if we go 8-8. If we can somehow make the playoffs...GREAT! I am in. But that is unlikely to happen with this team. This team just sucks...The Rams just sucked more yesterday.

I can't be the only one feeling this way...can I?
    I agree with your feelings on the team, I just don't agree with your radical suggestions in regards to change.

I've spent the last week thinking about how things have gotten to where we are at this moment. It's painful and there were some mistakes made along the way. But to me, they were all subtle changes. Changes that you wouldn't have thought would make this much of a difference.

But all in all, when you add all of them together, it does make a huge difference.

This is not lessen the harm those moves have done, but only to put them in perspective.

I would support one more season for both Tanny and Rex. I was never high on getting rid of Rex anyway, it's hard for me to throw him by the roadside when he brought so much excitement in his first two seasons here.

But when you look at Tanny's moves, I'm not sold that he's a complete loser like everyone says. I've always been a critic of trading up all the time. To me, it severely limits you on quantity. However, the good side shows you get a few very special players normally.

I think if Tanny were able to hit things just right, the right combination of free agents to provide depth along with the right kinds of draft picks (trading up to grab special, difference maker players) it could ut us right back in contention.

The only things that I really want Tanny to learn from this is that he cannot ever f*ck with the offensive line. In my mind, that's where all of the problems started for the team.

It wasn't just the retirement of Damien Woody. It was actually earlier for me. I point to the cutting of Alan Faneca as when we really began to sink. As much as everyone criticized his pass blocking, and it was poor, he brought a swagger, an attitude to the OL that we've never been able to recover since he left. The guy was still an AWESOME run blocker. I also believe his presence on the field allowed the OL to reach the "zone" in 2009. When you lose that kind of influence, it's very hard to receover it.

I would support another year for Tanny so long as he opts to never get cheap with the OL. Sign some top notch FA's or draft picks that will transform that OL to what it used to be.

Of course, this is going to take a while as it's doubtful you can find a franchise QB (a big need) and solidify your OL in the same year. But I would still support it so long as the plan looked good.

I would NOT support another year of Tanny.

He gave an EXTRA YEAR to Mark's contract needlessly......

*THAT* right there is proof that he has GOT TO GO!

MaineJet, your response?

MaineJet : *crickets*

Thank you.

I would NOT support another year of Tanny.

He gave an EXTRA YEAR to Mark's contract needlessly......

*THAT* right there is proof that he has GOT TO GO!

MaineJet, your response?

MaineJet : *crickets*

Thank you.
    Well, I'm not going to tell you that was a wise decision. No, it wasn't. But as I recall his contract was prohibitive to him being cut even last season. It would have hurt the team. I also supported seeing the Mark Sanchez thing through. So did the majority of fans. The team invested a very high pick in him. It wouldn't have made any sense to cut him after last season. For better or worse, they were heavily invested in Mark Sanchez regardless of the contract extension or not.

Now, that certainly doesn't make me condone the extension Tanny gave him. And that does damage his credibility but I would still support one more opportunity for him.

You certainly can't criticize the move in drafting Mark Sanchez. He was considered a blue chipper by all of the draftniks. It was worth taking a shot at, especially when you consider we had no other viable options at QB at that time. Drafting a QB is ALWAYS a crap shoot and that will never change.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Worth what?

You DO understand that a fan rooting has no actual effect on the game, the result, or the future, right?

What will be, will be. We can have a grand old time discussing/debating things, but that won't change those things.

So root for losses if thats what boats yer float. Myself, I prefer to root for wins at least till we're eliminated. Most times I keep rooting for wins, because frankly pick #6 or pick #10 or pick #23, it's what you do with it, not the spot, that matters most. Gholston was what, the 6th overall? How thats do us? Revis was what, 24th?

No point getting all stressed about it, or rooting against your own team tbqh. The future will not be won or lost if we pick 7th instead of 8th.
    excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, I'm not going to tell you that was a wise decision. No, it wasn't. But as I recall his contract was prohibitive to him being cut even last season. It would have hurt the team. I also supported seeing the Mark Sanchez thing through. So did the majority of fans. The team invested a very high pick in him. It wouldn't have made any sense to cut him after last season. For better or worse, they were heavily invested in Mark Sanchez regardless of the contract extension or not.

Now, that certainly doesn't make me condone the extension Tanny gave him. And that does damage his credibility but I would still support one more opportunity for him.

You certainly can't criticize the move in drafting Mark Sanchez. He was considered a blue chipper by all of the draftniks. It was worth taking a shot at, especially when you consider we had no other viable options at QB at that time. Drafting a QB is ALWAYS a crap shoot and that will never change.

So I guess I'm off your imaginary ignore-list, huh?

So I guess I'm off your imaginary ignore-list, huh?
    You have quite the high opinion of yourself, don't you?

Trust me, don't flatter yourself by thinking I had you on some sort of imaginary ignore list. Your opinion has never mattered that much to me.

All Pro
    How many teams have actually gone from picking early in the draft to winning the Superbowl? I think only 3 or 4 teams in the past 30 years or so have had the #1 player and gone on to win a Superbowl with him (and two of them were called Manning).

SB teams like the Giants, Patsies, Packers, Steelers perennially pick in the bottom half of the draft, but they continue to be SB teams ... those picking in the top 10 usually end up picking there for many, many years.

I know which type of team I'd rather follow.

You have quite the high opinion of yourself, don't you?

Trust me, don't flatter yourself by thinking I had you on some sort of imaginary ignore list. Your opinion has never mattered that much to me.

Now you went and hurt my feelings. Me so sad.

Thing is, though, I've replied to many of your other posts in the past that were somewhat-insightful and got nary a peep out of you. That's why I thought you had me on ignore or something.....

Now you went and hurt my feelings. Me so sad.

Thing is, though, I've replied to many of your other posts in the past that were somewhat-insightful and got nary a peep out of you. That's why I thought you had me on ignore or something.....
    No. I just never had any reason to respond back. There's a lot of responses I get here that I choose not to reply to. A lot of them are nasty in there tone based on how angry a poster they perceive me to be.

I'm not angry. I just believe I tell the truth. Best of all, I do not sugar coat anything. I don't believe in it.

And it's amazing how many people view it as OFFENSIVE, as though you're violating some sort of law, when you tell the truth.

Personally, I don't give a f*ck.

I apologize for my tone. I thought you were one of them.

Jets Insider VIP
    The OP is right

This team isn't making the playoffs. What the hell has this team shown to suggest that they're capable of running the table to even have a chance at a wildcard?

7-9 or 8-8 doesn't get us anywhere.

All it does is take us out of position to draft a bluechip prospect and buy guys like Sanchez, Rex and Tanny more time.

I'm thinking longterm. We aren't doing sh*t this year. Face it. Accept it.

It'll save you the heartache. If you're honestly expecting us to go on a run and make the playoffs then you have no one but yourself to blame when you're inevitably disappointed.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 11-19-2012 at 05:27 PM.

No. I just never had any reason to respond back. There's a lot of responses I get here that I choose not to reply to. A lot of them are nasty in there tone based on how angry a poster they perceive me to be.

I'm not angry. I just believe I tell the truth. Best of all, I do not sugar coat anything. I don't believe in it.

And it's amazing how many people view it as OFFENSIVE, as though you're violating some sort of law, when you tell the truth.

Personally, I don't give a f*ck.

I apologize for my tone. I thought you were one of them.
    Apology accepted, sir.

You've been around here a long time so it's not like your opinion doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, you bring up some very valid points.

Thing is, if I see something I don't agree with(from one of your posts), I'll let you know about it and point something out while hoping you would respond and either rebutt me or acknowledge the point.

Hall Of Fame

Just curious, if you feel that way, then why did you go round and round with me one day about how you would have cut Sanchez after last season? I argued those same points you stated in bold, and I believe you accused me of being a homer in the realms of sg3 and Ray Ray....LOL.