Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94

Thread: Was It Worth It?

  1. #21
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worth what?

    You DO understand that a fan rooting has no actual effect on the game, the result, or the future, right?

    What will be, will be. We can have a grand old time discussing/debating things, but that won't change those things.

    So root for losses if thats what boats yer float. Myself, I prefer to root for wins at least till we're eliminated. Most times I keep rooting for wins, because frankly pick #6 or pick #10 or pick #23, it's what you do with it, not the spot, that matters most. Gholston was what, the 6th overall? How thats do us? Revis was what, 24th?

    No point getting all stressed about it, or rooting against your own team tbqh. The future will not be won or lost if we pick 7th instead of 8th.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    OK. OK.

    I will ROOT HARD for the Jets to win Thursday (and I will be there, as usual), however, IF they lose...then it is time to hope for the worst for the remainder of the season.

    I will reserve my judgment until after Thursday night's game.

    Fair enough.
    good boy.

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Exactly.

    We NEED A HIGH DRAFT PICK...like a top 6 type guy.
    Vernon Gholston and DeWayne Robertson say hi....the best draft picks that have panned out for us have been in the mid 1st round..Revis, Vilma, Abraham, Ellis,Moss, Couples is coming along and so is Wilkerson...

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Worth what?

    You DO understand that a fan rooting has no actual effect on the game, the result, or the future, right?

    What will be, will be. We can have a grand old time discussing/debating things, but that won't change those things.

    So root for losses if thats what boats yer float. Myself, I prefer to root for wins at least till we're eliminated. Most times I keep rooting for wins, because frankly pick #6 or pick #10 or pick #23, it's what you do with it, not the spot, that matters most. Gholston was what, the 6th overall? How thats do us? Revis was what, 24th?

    No point getting all stressed about it, or rooting against your own team tbqh. The future will not be won or lost if we pick 7th instead of 8th.
    Pretty much this, well said.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Worth what?

    You DO understand that a fan rooting has no actual effect on the game, the result, or the future, right?

    What will be, will be. We can have a grand old time discussing/debating things, but that won't change those things.

    So root for losses if thats what boats yer float. Myself, I prefer to root for wins at least till we're eliminated. Most times I keep rooting for wins, because frankly pick #6 or pick #10 or pick #23, it's what you do with it, not the spot, that matters most. Gholston was what, the 6th overall? How thats do us? Revis was what, 24th?

    No point getting all stressed about it, or rooting against your own team tbqh. The future will not be won or lost if we pick 7th instead of 8th.
    I agree with you in regards to draft picks. However, don't you think a different regime might have better success handling the draft no matter what the team's drafting position? For me, it's all about moving on.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Vernon Gholston and DeWayne Robertson say hi....the best draft picks that have panned out for us have been in the mid 1st round..Revis, Vilma, Abraham, Ellis,Moss, Couples is coming along and so is Wilkerson...

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a little torn. While part of me shares the OP sentiment, it's also worth stating that this isn't the NBA. You dont transform your franchise, guaranteed, by getting the #1 pick (unless there is a once per decade qb prospect).

    Quite contrary: extreme losing records in the NFL do more to develop a long term sense of perennial losership (browns, jaguars) that has an impact on free agency, drafting for flash over substance, and expectations of the players themselves.

    Teams are perfectly capable of hovering around the 6 to 8 win mark for a few years while building a strong core (texans, bengals, ravens circa mid last decade). Sure it takes a good GM and good scouting, neither of which we have. Good ownership helps too, another thing we can forget about.

    But with no surefire lucky or griffiny qb out there, bottoming out would hurt more than help us in the long run.

  8. #28
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Exactly.

    We NEED A HIGH DRAFT PICK...like a top 6 type guy.
    last time we picked #6, well we all know how that turned out

  9. #29
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    I agree with you in regards to draft picks. However, don't you think a different regime might have better success handling the draft no matter what the team's drafting position? For me, it's all about moving on.
    We have no idea one way or the other.

    We could hire the next Pioli and Bellichek.

    Or we could hire the next Gutman and Kotite.

    Moving on always sounds great in tough times. But there is no sure thing in life, and rooting for losses will not increase the chance of moving on, nor will it increase the chance that moving on will pay off.

    So why bother rooting against your own team?

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I'm a little torn. While part of me shares the OP sentiment, it's also worth stating that this isn't the NBA. You dont transform your franchise, guaranteed, by getting the #1 pick (unless there is a once per decade qb prospect).

    Quite contrary: extreme losing records in the NFL do more to develop a long term sense of perennial losership (browns, jaguars) that has an impact on free agency, drafting for flash over substance, and expectations of the players themselves.

    Teams are perfectly capable of hovering around the 6 to 8 win mark for a few years while building a strong core (texans, bengals, ravens circa mid last decade). Sure it takes a good GM and good scouting, neither of which we have. Good ownership helps too, another thing we can forget about.

    But with no surefire lucky or griffiny qb out there, bottoming out would hurt more than help us in the long run.
    So, we're ****ed?

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mediocre teams stay mediocre b.c they don't get the blue chips at the top of the draft.

    It pays to suck in this league IF you have competent people picking the players.

    So, either way we are phucked.
    True in the NBA but not the NFL.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    We have no idea one way or the other.

    We could hire the next Pioli and Bellichek.

    Or we could hire the next Gutman and Kotite.

    Moving on always sounds great in tough times. But there is no sure thing in life, and rooting for losses will not increase the chance of moving on, nor will it increase the chance that moving on will pay off.

    So why bother rooting against your own team?
    I can't and don't root against the Jets.

  13. #33
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mediocre teams stay mediocre b.c they don't get the blue chips at the top of the draft.

    It pays to suck in this league IF you have competent people picking the players.

    So, either way we are phucked.
    We made it to back-back AFC Championship games without a top blue chip player on offense... the NFL has never had more parity, on any given week there are no "automatic" wins or losses. Atlanta and Houston, SB front runners almost lost to far inferior teams yesterday @ home.

    If you are a fan of the team you root for them to win every week until we are mathematically eliminated. It is impossible to predict what position we will be drafting and who will be available.

    You play to win the games and do your best to improve in the off-season through the draft and FA... to think you can control the future by tanking is a flawed approach... the Luck/Indy scenario is extremely rare.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    We made it to back-back AFC Championship games without a top blue chip player on offense... the NFL has never had more parity, on any given week there are no "automatic" wins or losses. Atlanta and Houston, SB front runners almost lost to far inferior teams yesterday @ home.

    If you are a fan of the team you root for them to win every week until we are mathematically eliminated. It is impossible to predict what position we will be drafting and who will be available.

    You play to win the games and do your best to improve in the off-season through the draft and FA... to think you can control the future by tanking is a flawed approach... the Luck/Indy scenario is extremely rare.
    +1000
    You've seen how losing effects the NY Jets. Turmoil, negative media coverage, ex-players piping in. You change that culture by WINNING!
    Jets didn't win a Superbowl but Rex did for a while change the culture. Yesterdays victory might not seem like much, but like all coaches say, "It's not easy to win in the NFL".

    When we almost beat the Pats in Gillette this year, the Pats were booed before they came back in that game.
    Brady took to the press stand & almost disparaged his own fans by talking about HOW HARD IT IS to win in this league!
    More than disparaging the ignoramous spoiled Pats fans he was in a slight way praising how the Jets played that day. When he talked with Sanchez, the 1st thing he said was, "you played well out there".
    Brady can be a douche but that's because he's so damn competative.
    Playing to lose, unless it's a last game thing like the Colts & Andrew Luck is sitting there that's an easy decision, you play all your backups.

    Calling for us to lose every game at 4-6 is crazy.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Didn't the giants win a SB at 9-7?
    Let me know when the Jets acquire a consistent pass rush and Eli Manning, not to mention helmet catches.

    Oh, and to reply the OP, likely it wasn't worth it. I can't see this team finishing any better than 4-2 and that would lead to an 8-8 finish, which means you're not making the playoffs and keeping the same sad sack mediocre trio of Tannenbaum, Ryan and Sanchez for 2013, which features a harder schedule and yet another at best 8 win season.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    I agree with this outlook. Good post.


    The only thing that bothers me is that Tanny has screwed over this roster badly in the depth department. I hate watching the team lose, but i wouldn't mind getting a blue chip prospect in the early 1st round next year either. We need to restock our cupboards with young (possibly elite) talent.

    If the Jets lose on Thursday to the Pats, I don't see us making the playoffs.....we really need an influx of young talent.
    you see them making the playoffs if they win?

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    you see them making the playoffs if they win?
    I think they're in the conversation if they do, especially if they play as well on Thursday on both sides of the ball as they did yesterday.

    The Jets that took the field yesterday beat every remaining team on their schedule other than NE. Question is, can Rex keep them motivated and is Sanchez capable of more than two good consecutive performances? History says no, but a win on Thursday at least makes the question relevant again.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,695
    Post Thanks / Like

  19. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    392
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I think they're in the conversation if they do, especially if they play as well on Thursday on both sides of the ball as they did yesterday.

    The Jets that took the field yesterday beat every remaining team on their schedule other than NE. Question is, can Rex keep them motivated and is Sanchez capable of more than two good consecutive performances? History says no, but a win on Thursday at least makes the question relevant again.
    I agree. It at least puts them in the conversation. As frustating as this is for the fans, the Rex Ryan Jets always seem to play better as severe underdogs. They just can't seem to play well without "the world is against us" motivation. I am not happy about the Jets being 4-6, but I think they will make some noise when all is said and done. I know some people here think they should lose for a higher draft pick. I for one would always prefer a meaningful Sunday, even if they end up finishing 8-8. Yeah, I'll be pissed at the end of the season, and my immediate post season reaction would be to write them off for the rest of my life. But I always come back to them the next day. So will the rest of you. So just root for them to kick some Patriot ass.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should know better than anyone that high draft picks don't always pan out. Marino went 18th I believe, Montana was a third rounder and Brady was a sixth rounder. Picking in the middle of the first round can be better. Less pressure on the player and less money involved.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us