Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CBS Sports Jason LaCanfora: As December nears, which teams' coaches are on the line?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex Ryan is 50 years old, he's been in the NFL 35 years, he holds the keys to the players and the playbook.

Mark Sanchez is 26 years old, he's been in the NFL 3 years, he runs for his life because of an offensive line that can't protect him, a set of receivers that can't get open, a running game that can't compliment him, a offensive coordinator that is clueless, and a head coach with the wrong priorities.

Rex Ryan has had 35 years to get it right, hasn't done it.

Mark Sanchez has had 3 years to give it a shot, has done all right so far.

SAR I

Rex Ryan has been in the NFL officially for 18 years, 3+ as a head coach, so that's extremely disingenuous. The math at face-value makes no sense. You have plenty of valid points to make, but you use hyperbole to persuade and hope no one is fact-checking you or paying attention.

By your logic, Mark Sanchez has had at least 10 years of quarterback play in his life to figure things out, and he still hasn't gotten it right either.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, Ryan is playing with the players he's given. If certain aspects of the offense haven't been adressed it's not his fault, the man is playing with the cards he was dealt. This is his first headcoaching job, he's not on the level of Parcells or Belichick where he can walk into the owners or GM's office and start making demands. He can suggest to the GM who he would like to have and then it's up to the GM to make the final decision on personnel matters.

Faneca was let go an not replaced adequately. That's not Rex's fault. Jets needed an experienced #1 RB and didn't get one, that's not Rex's fault. Heading into the season without Plaxico Burress to shore up an inexperienced receiving corps, that's not Rex's fault. Bringing in Tebow, not Rex's fault. Signing Holmes to a contract for 3 times his worth, not Rex's fault. All this and a lot more is not on Rex Ryan... he's only playing with the cards he's been dealt and I think he's doing a pretty good job considering.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sticking with the same head coach for 10+ years is a wonderful thing so long as you hitch your wagon to the right horse.

If I can sum up the things I like about Rex Ryan, they look like this:

Terrific defensive coordinator.
    Good postseason coach.

If I can sum up the things I dislike about Rex Ryan, they look like this:

A defensive coordinator, not a head coach.
    Can't get into the postseason consistently.
    Running a defense-first strategy that can't win in today's NFL.
    Major flaws in reading the character of his roster.
    Major flaws in understanding the mood of his locker room.
    Major flaws in separating his personal life from his work life.
    Can't nurture young talent.
    Can't maximize older talent.
    Can't generate a traditional pass rush.
    Teams that play him 2x a season figure him out the second time.
    Dumb timeouts.
    Lousy clock management.
    Terrible team discipline.
    Never learns from his mistakes, never changes.

SAR I
    This post is hilarious in how ludicrous it is. I don't disagree with you on all those weakness but "can't get into the postseason consistently."

Are you delusional?

He went to the AFC Championship TWO of his three seasons as coach thus far. That's reaching the postseason. Even if the Jets don't make it this year he'll still have reached the playoffs two out of four years. In a four year sample size, I'd say that's pretty decent and not good measure for you to throw down that assessment of him. If we're in year 6 and haven't made the playoffs since year 2, maybe then I'll agree with you and say ok, time for change.

Now, it's ridiculous and you're making assumptions based on things you don't even know. Do I get frustrated with the nonsense and attitude of this bunch? Yes. Do I think Ryan's team lack a consistency during the regular season? Yes. I'd even say I was worried he lost control this year again, as he did last year at the end.

But that doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on him yet. They certainly lack in-season consistency but you can't say he can't get into the playoffs consistently - at least not at this point in his tenure.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez is 26 years old, he's been in the NFL 3 years, he runs for his life because of an offensive line that can't protect him, a set of receivers that can't get open, a running game that can't compliment him, a offensive coordinator that is clueless, and a head coach with the wrong priorities.
    So if the Jets gave Sanchez the O-line, running game, and receiving core (it wasnt great but it was respectable) that he had the first 2 years now, can you honestly tell me he would be having success?

I would say hell no. I cant tell you any aspect of his game that he has improved upon. He still makes dumb decisions, cant protect the ball, and has awful accuracy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    So if the Jets gave Sanchez the O-line, running game, and receiving core (it wasnt great but it was respectable) that he had the first 2 years now, can you honestly tell me he would be having success?
    Yes.

Not only would he be in Year 4 of a rapport with consistent WR's, but he'd be showing more confidence in his abilities as a result.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Rex Ryan has been in the NFL officially for 18 years, 3+ as a head coach, so that's extremely disingenuous. The math at face-value makes no sense. You have plenty of valid points to make, but you use hyperbole to persuade and hope no one is fact-checking you or paying attention.

By your logic, Mark Sanchez has had at least 10 years of quarterback play in his life to figure things out, and he still hasn't gotten it right either.
    His father was a head coach, defensive coordinator, had Rex on the sidelines of NFL games starting as a teen.

It's well documented.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    This post is hilarious in how ludicrous it is. I don't disagree with you on all those weakness but "can't get into the postseason consistently."

Are you delusional?

He went to the AFC Championship TWO of his three seasons as coach thus far. That's reaching the postseason. Even if the Jets don't make it this year he'll still have reached the playoffs two out of four years. In a four year sample size, I'd say that's pretty decent and not good measure for you to throw down that assessment of him. If we're in year 6 and haven't made the playoffs since year 2, maybe then I'll agree with you and say ok, time for change.

Now, it's ridiculous and you're making assumptions based on things you don't even know. Do I get frustrated with the nonsense and attitude of this bunch? Yes. Do I think Ryan's team lack a consistency during the regular season? Yes. I'd even say I was worried he lost control this year again, as he did last year at the end.

But that doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on him yet. They certainly lack in-season consistency but you can't say he can't get into the playoffs consistently - at least not at this point in his tenure.
    The first trip to the playoffs was a gift, courtesy of the Indianapolis Colts who knew what they were doing seeing how easily they figured out Ryan's defense in the AFCCG disaster.

The second trip was well-deserved, but no lessons were learned, no sense of urgency was displayed, we didn't get off the bus in Pittsburgh, the biggest loss in Jets history.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Also, Ryan is playing with the players he's given. If certain aspects of the offense haven't been adressed it's not his fault, the man is playing with the cards he was dealt. This is his first headcoaching job, he's not on the level of Parcells or Belichick where he can walk into the owners or GM's office and start making demands. He can suggest to the GM who he would like to have and then it's up to the GM to make the final decision on personnel matters.

Faneca was let go an not replaced adequately. That's not Rex's fault. Jets needed an experienced #1 RB and didn't get one, that's not Rex's fault. Heading into the season without Plaxico Burress to shore up an inexperienced receiving corps, that's not Rex's fault. Bringing in Tebow, not Rex's fault. Signing Holmes to a contract for 3 times his worth, not Rex's fault. All this and a lot more is not on Rex Ryan... he's only playing with the cards he's been dealt and I think he's doing a pretty good job considering.
    Rex Ryan declared that his strategy to win a Super Bowl was to create a dominant defense and a ground and pound rushing attack.

Now supervising 4 drafts, Rex Ryan has built neither and his utter ignorance of the offense has left us with no playmakers and no support for our quarterback.

Rex Ryan's failure is everywhere on the team. Tannenbaum didn't pick talented players, but Rex directed him to load it up on the defense and they still suck and the offense is pitiful, hasn't been this bad since Kotite.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    His father was a head coach, defensive coordinator, had Rex on the sidelines of NFL games starting as a teen.

It's well documented.

SAR I
    I know this quite well. You're crediting time served as a 15 year old watching his father and grabbing coffee to his service time as an NFL head coach... or really, an NFL-level coach at all.

Mark Sanchez has probably been playing the QB position since he was 15. That's 11 years served, right?

"Rex has had 35 years to get it right"... yes, he started trying to be a head coach when he was 15. Hyperbole. But it sounds persuasive, so you ran with it.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-20-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    luck doesn't have a great team around him. why is he doing well? he's a freaking rookie. why does tannehill look miles ahead of sanchez throwing to davon bess and I can't even remember their #1 receivers name... WHY??? answer me WHY?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post

Not the first time SAR has made **** up and pulled it out is his ass!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice snag, Buzzsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I disagree, I would say yes one more year if they have not stubbornly hitched their fates to Sanchez. Rex, if he is actually learning some coaching lessons is still a viable head coach. Tanny's high risk high reward philosophy has been more risk than reward. I wouldn't mind seeing Rex back with some hard nosed veteran GM who could tel Rex to stick to coaching and get his snout out of obtaining the players.
    I agree with Beerfish that Rex should only stay if he hasn't hitched his star to Sanchez. I agree with Buzzsaw that if Rex stays he needs to keep his nose out of the scouting department.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, the jury is not in specifically on that course of action. I've said it already many times. Rex Ryan, I believe will get fired if he continues to stubbornly stick with Mark Sanchez.

In other words, I support Rex Ryan getting another season along with Mike Tannenbaum so long as they are willing to let go of this obsession with a terrible QB. Rex Ryan must bench him to keep his job. If he refuses, I think Woody will fire him.
    I think you're right, MaineJet. I'm not that sure, though, that Tanny won't be scapegoated and scrapped.

If Rex stays he needs to get an OC that knows what he's doing. May I suggest ..... Josh McDaniels?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I think Tanny is finished when the season ends. Woody Johnson didn't give him (or Rex for that matter) much of a vote of confidence last week.

That said, I think whoever is the new GM will be asked to give strong consideration towards keeping Rex for at least another season. However if Woody does decided to clean house, I think we should go with a retread coach. No more young guys learning on the job. Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Brian Billick.....f*ck it, I'd even be fine with Jim Fassel.

The only guy with no HC experience that I'd consider is Russ Grimm.
    The only thing worse than hiring a rookie hc, is hiring a hc who has already won a Super Bowl. It's a really stupid idea.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    The only thing worse than hiring a rookie hc, is hiring a hc who has already won a Super Bowl. It's a really stupid idea.
    Right. I think someone mentioned earlier that historically, this has not worked. Didn't they call them ... retreads?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Right. I think someone mentioned earlier that historically, this has not worked. Didn't they call them ... retreads?
    I don't think this sort of dichotomy is all that important. If the Jets signed Chip Kelly, would anyone be upset? The FO just needs to evaluate candidates from all avenues and make a good choice based on what he brings to the table, experience be damned. Re-hiring Parcells won't fix the Jets. Intelligent FO decisions, however, will.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-20-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Not the first time SAR has made **** up and pulled it out is his ass!
    He could really get the crowds going at Shea!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan declared that his strategy to win a Super Bowl was to create a dominant defense and a ground and pound rushing attack.

Now supervising 4 drafts, Rex Ryan has built neither and his utter ignorance of the offense has left us with no playmakers and no support for our quarterback.

Rex Ryan's failure is everywhere on the team. Tannenbaum didn't pick talented players, but Rex directed him to load it up on the defense and they still suck and the offense is pitiful, hasn't been this bad since Kotite.

SAR I

Uh... the New York Jets defense is currently 4th against the pass in the NFL (WITHOUT REVIS!). Have you forgotten that this is a pass oriented league? How the hell can you consider that a failure? The man sees the passing trend of the league and successfully builds a defense to protect against it. Sounds like a solid job of coaching to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can Tanny.

Keep Rex.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tanny and Rex will be gone next year and Sanchez will be stapled to the bench. if not, ill continue my boycott into next year. Well, execpt the game this thursday as ill be stuck inside with the fam.
    Sanchez will be the starter next year. They are not stapling him to the bench. He is making too much $. Even if the Jets draft someone Sanchez will start and the draftee will hold the clipboard for a year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    luck doesn't have a great team around him. why is he doing well? he's a freaking rookie. why does tannehill look miles ahead of sanchez throwing to davon bess and I can't even remember their #1 receivers name... WHY??? answer me WHY?
    The Colts have given the keys to the team to Luck. They understand he's a rookie, but they are planning to build the team around him, and want him to take shots, learn to play in the NFL and not consistently telling him don't mess this up for us.

The Colts also have Reggie Wayne, who while vastly overrated is much better than any WR on our team including holmes.