Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: CBS Sports Jason LaCanfora: As December nears, which teams' coaches are on the line?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

The ONLY thing that will prevent Rex Ryan from remaining the HC of the Jets is if he refuses to bench Mark Sanchez. Everyone knows that Sanchez is killing the team.

So what you are saying is get rid of Sanchez and all is well? The dropped passes an blown routes stop? The OL becomes all pro? Greene becomes a 1500 yd rusher? Wilson turns into the next Revis? The LBs become lightning fast? A dominant pass rush appears out of thin air? I never realized all of these problems were Sanchez' fault. Who is this magical QB that is going to step in and fix all of these problems?

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    So what you are saying is get rid of Sanchez and all is well? The dropped passes an blown routes stop? The OL becomes all pro? Greene becomes a 1500 yd rusher? Wilson turns into the next Revis? The LBs become lightning fast? A dominant pass rush appears out of thin air? I never realized all of these problems were Sanchez' fault. Who is this magical QB that is going to step in and fix all of these problems?
    No, that is what YOU are trying to portray me as saying.

What I am saying is that IMO Woody is OK with Rex getting another season to try turn the team around. But if he sticks with Sanchez for much longer, Woody will decide that Rex Ryan's stubornness has become a detriment to the team, and therefore he needs to go.

I am also saying that by changing the QB a lot of those problems you mention will go away. Truly good QB's elevate the play of the surrounding players on the football field. That's what good QB's do.

Sanchez is NOT a good QB as evidenced by 4 pathetic seasons in the league. Sanchez does not elevate the play of the other players, never has. They follow him right down the toilet.

Are there any good QB's for us to go with? Doubtful. We know Tim Tebow is not the answer. However, the wildcard is Greg McElroy. No one truly knows what he is capable of. At the very least I can see some positive coming out of it. 1) We get to see if McElroy is starting material or if he a competent backup QB. 2) He is NOT Sanchez. I think the mere change of the QB would get the players working harder. The players are not blind, they know Sanchez is killing the team also.

What I am saying is that IMO Woody is OK with Rex getting another season to try turn the team around. But if he sticks with Sanchez for much longer, Woody will decide that Rex Ryan's stubornness has become a detriment to the team, and therefore he needs to go.
    But how about this for "food for thought" :

What if Woody is just as "stubborn" about Mark Sanchez as Rex?

I think if anyone gets canned in the end, it will be Tanny. Just saying.....

Woody seems to be the type of guy who doesn't like to be pointed out that he was wrong so I can definitely see him do something STUPID like Re-Sign Sanchez to another multi-year deal.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    But how about this for "food for thought" :

What if Woody is just as "stubborn" about Mark Sanchez as Rex?

I think if anyone gets canned in the end, it will be Tanny. Just saying.....

Woody seems to be the type of guy who doesn't like to be pointed out that he was wrong so I can definitely see him do something STUPID like Re-Sign Sanchez to another multi-year deal.....
    AGREED. But I wouldn't against Rex Ryan getting the hook if he doesn't break this illogical loyalty to Sanchez.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I am also saying that by changing the QB a lot of those problems you mention will go away. Truly good QB's elevate the play of the surrounding players on the football field. That's what good QB's do.

Sanchez is NOT a good QB as evidenced by 4 pathetic seasons in the league. Sanchez does not elevate the play of the other players, never has. They follow him right down the toilet.

Are there any good QB's for us to go with? Doubtful. We know Tim Tebow is not the answer. However, the wildcard is Greg McElroy. No one truly knows what he is capable of. At the very least I can see some positive coming out of it. 1) We get to see if McElroy is starting material or if he a competent backup QB. 2) He is NOT Sanchez. I think the mere change of the QB would get the players working harder. The players are not blind, they know Sanchez is killing the team also.
    You are using Sanchez as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong I have no problem moving on from him right now but it won't happen because of $. As far as a QB who elevates others - those QBs come a along 1-2 times a decade. The league is filled with game managers that need to be surrounded by talent. The Jets have too many holes to place the blame squarely on Sanchez.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

AGREED. But I wouldn't against Rex Ryan getting the hook if he doesn't break this illogical loyalty to Sanchez.
    I don't believe its just Rex - I think Tanny wants to stick with Sanchez as well.

You are using Sanchez as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong I have no problem moving on from him right now but it won't happen because of $. As far as a QB who elevates others - those QBs come a along 1-2 times a decade. The league is filled with game managers that need to be surrounded by talent. The Jets have too many holes to place the blame squarely on Sanchez.
    No he is friggin not using him as a scapegoat. The QB sucks and has sucked for basically his whole career other than a few games. He's been coddled from day one and the team has gone out of their way to make sure there is never a viable back up to challenge him. Sanchez has earned his goat horns, every inch of them. It all starts at Qb on offense and if you have a bad one you are tits up. Mainejets assertion is that Rex and Tanny are going to stubbornly go down on the ss Sanchtanic rather than get off the ship that has already struck an ice burg.

I don't believe its just Rex - I think Tanny wants to stick with Sanchez as well.
    This I agree with, probably even more Tanny than Rex.

[QUOTE=petejet;4693350]You are using Sanchez as a scapegoat. Don't get me wrong I have no problem moving on from him right now but it won't happen because of $. As far as a QB who elevates others - those QBs come a along 1-2 times a decade. The league is filled with game managers that need to be surrounded by talent. The Jets have too many holes to place the blame squarely on Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

I do not agree with that one bit.

Chad Pennington was NEVER a special QB. Certainly never was in Manning's league. However, when he entered the huddle (and I watched this several times) the entire team started to play as a cohesive unit. Many players that looked simply lethargic when one QB was guiding them (Kellen Clemens, Brooks Bollinger), looked like MUCH better players when Penny started guiding them.

That tells me that you do not need to be something special or something that comes along every 1-2 a decade.

And in Sanchez's case, it's not just being surrounded with talent that he needs, he needs a PRO BOWL team at every position to succeed. That's how bad it has become.

QUOTE=Beerfish;4693397]No he is friggin not using him as a scapegoat. The QB sucks and has sucked for basically his whole career other than a few games. He's been coddled from day one and the team has gone out of their way to make sure there is never a viable back up to challenge him. Sanchez has earned his goat horns, every inch of them. It all starts at Qb on offense and if you have a bad one you are tits up. Mainejets assertion is that Rex and Tanny are going to stubbornly go down on the ss Sanchtanic rather than get off the ship that has already struck an ice burg.[/QUOTE]

Well, that may very well be, In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if it's just Mike Tannenbaum alone forcing his hand?

Rex Ryan wants to win. He's said it many times. With the team losing games like this, you'd think he'd start making many changes to shake things up and see if he can create a winning formula. Where he continus to standby Sanchez it makes me think MAYBE Tanny is forcing his hand.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Not a chance Perry Fewell ends up here. Hes Giant D isnt any good. What qualifies hm to be a head coach?

You cant sell this to the fanbase at this point. If its a rookie head coach, it needs to be an offensive guy like jay gruden.
    2009 - Buffalo Bills - 3-4 record. He was an "interim" HC

Mainejet.....Beerfish....

WHAT IF(and I said this before) the one forcing Rex's hand IS WOODY JOHNSON?

I mean throughout all this "blame game" going on involving Tanny and Rex, we seem to forget Woody.

We know he's a meddler....

If Woody thinks Mark Sanchez is his guy, then we're in big trouble....