Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBS Sports Jason LaCanfora: As December nears, which teams' coaches are on the line?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

CBS Sports Jason LaCanfora: As December nears, which teams' coaches are on the line?

The coaching carnage generally doesn't mount until Black Monday, the day after the season ends. But teams, college and pro, generally begin maneuvering via back channels about these kind of moves the week after Thanksgiving, and with upwards of a third of the league considering a coaching move depending on how things go down the stretch, the covert ops will be picking up with vigor soon enough.

We will hear more and more about the big names and the guys on the hot seat as we enter December, and though it's still early, I thought I'd take a shot at where some of these dominoes might fall coming off a Week 11 in which some of the coaches under fire put up a valiant fight in an underdog role, but still ended up losing in the end.

Sunday turned out to be a tough, tough day for Pat Shurmur, Ron Rivera, Mike Mularkey, Norv Turner and Ken Whisenhunt (and Jason Garrett got damn lucky in victory), who all looked prime to pull off major upsets for portions of their game before relenting.

So here's a look at some thoughts on possible moves.

Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jags gave the Texans a fight Sunday, and one-and-dones are rare in the NFL, but with general manager Gene Smith in a tough spot, any new GM in Jacksonville would likely want a new coach as well. Mike Mularkey was saddled with Blaine Gabbert -- Gabbert's presence scared many candidates away a year ago. This looks like a full restart under novice owner Shahid Khan, with sweeping changes possible.

Possible replacement: Bill O'Brien had a great shot to get this job a year ago, he has everything owners want and he has done a tremendous job in his first year at Penn State. A buyout might be tricky, but Khan loved this guy a year ago and I suspect will want a younger, dynamic coach rather than a retread.

Kansas City Chiefs: It's all gone horribly wrong there, there are no signs of life and I cannot imagine a way that Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel are back next season. Owner Clark Hunt looks for hands-on people, as he is not around the team on a daily basis (which could lead to a GM like Bill Polian being the next man there). This team thought it had playoff potential and now it's jostling for the first overall pick. The fan revolt is palpable there, forcing changes.

Possible replacement: The Chiefs need to start over with a new quarterback and I can't help but wonder if Mike Sherman, who has worked closely with them and who has won at this level, gets a chance there. This hasn't been a big-paying job and I have a hard time projecting "A-list" guys there.

Carolina Panthers: Owner Jerry Richardson already fired GM Marty Hurney during the season and it's hard to imagine the next guy being all about keeping Ron Rivera as head coach rather than bringing in his own guy. They need to find someone to get Cam Newton right again -- above all else -- and I see a younger guy as the move here.

Possible replacement: Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy worked in Carolina before, Richardson likes him and he has done great things with a run-first/non-traditional QB (reaching the playoffs with Tim Tebow, for goodness' sake). If there is a more natural fit than this, please let me know. Seems like the perfect match.

San Diego Chargers: Owner Dean Spanos came close to parting with GM A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner a year ago, and this season for the Chargers has fallen well below expectations. Smith has been telling people he thinks he can deliver Jon Gruden there -- but I hear there is little shot that takes place and in the end I think everyone is probably gone there.

Possible replacement: Andy Reid just might take a year off, but San Diego would be one spot that would immediately light his fire. He is from that area, lives in that area and it is the polar opposite of Philadelphia in terms of culture, climate and media market. San Diego needs to get Philip Rivers right and as long as the money is right, this could be the fit.

Cleveland Browns: Pat Shurmur has made some big mistakes late in games (another crushing loss Sunday when they were up). There is a new ownership group there and I expect new owner Jimmy Haslam and new CEO Joe Banner to be very aggressive in his coaching search. They need to finally deliver on offense and play some attractive football and get people excited about Browns football again.

Possible replacement: Chip Kelly is probably leaving college now, he is going to be coveted and this regime won't be concerned about Brandon Weeden -- he's probably not their guy anyway. Haslam won't be afraid to spend, and Kelly brings excitement -- it would be a bold hire. Josh McDaniels could be interesting here as well, depending on some possible front office moves and whether Kelly ends up elsewhere (Philadelphia and Carolina, among others, could be suitors).

Philadelphia Eagles: Even if owner Jeff Lurie wanted to keep Andy Reid, I doubt Reid would want to stay. This has run its course -- it was a great 14-year ride, but all things come to an end. A few years after Jeff Fisher's long reign ended in Tennessee, so too is Reid's near its end, especially after Sunday's debacle in Washington.

Possible replacement: Young GM Howie Roseman will likely want a young, up-and-coming coach. Jay Gruden strikes me as young Andy Reid, perhaps, with his brother's pedigree as well. Jon Gruden is a former Eagles assistant, and his brother will be very much in demand, as will he. While I figure the elder Gruden ends up in college, if he in fact leaves the broadcast booth, I can't see the younger Gruden staying as the Bengals offensive coordinator. Also worth noting: Lurie is a big fan of Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, a former head coach in St. Louis.

Dallas Cowboys: Nothing has come easy for Jason Garrett, and while the schedule seems to set up pretty well for them, anything short of a playoff spot could lead to heads rolling. The fourth-quarter meltdowns, the clock-management issues, the fourth-down decisions, the issues of when to punt and when to go for it -- those have worked against Garrett. And with the potential for so much change, would Jerry Jones really sit on his hands with what he believes is a top roster?

Possible replacement: Not all coaches are comfortable with the unique owner-as-GM structure they have in Dallas, and most of the big-name guys you could come up with (Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, Bill Cowher) aren't a fit for personality or other reasons. Holmgren would want this job, I'm told, and I wouldn't be shocked if he got it. The Big Show in Big D.

New York Jets: I tend to think if changes are made here, it may just be GM Mike Tannenbaum. The players love Rex Ryan and Rex delivers headlines and owner Woody Johnson seems to love the headlines. So I'm not sure this one goes down, but if it does ...

Possible replacement: How about stealing some of the Giants thunder -- again, very Jets-like -- and getting Perry Fewell? It's about time someone hires New York's defensive coordinator and I would think his no-nonsense approach would be the opposite of Ryan's M.O. -- and when changes are made, it's generally someone a lot different than his predecessor.

I wouldn't rule out some major changes in Washington, Tennessee, Buffalo or perhaps even Arizona, though I suspect finances may ultimately play a role in all of the head coaches staying put, with coordinator changes possible. As for other candidates I foresee getting interviews, if not head coaching jobs, depending on the number of openings we get, I would expect guys like Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Tampa OC Mike Sullivan, Atlanta coordinators Dirk Koetter (offense) and Mike Nolan (defense), Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable, Stanford coach David Shaw and Green Bay quarterback coach Ben McAdoo to merit consideration.

Baffling decisions
    I was baffled by some coaching decisions Sunday.
    Norv Turner has plenty of clock left. He's only down by a possession and he goes for it on 4th and 14 around midfield? If nothing else, this recent stretch with the Denver loss at home, the pick-six fueled loss to Tampa last week and now this loss at Denver will spell the end of this regime, and Rivers again was too turnover-prone.

Ken Whisenhunt put himself in the line of fire when, with a 13-0 lead early on, he yanked John Skelton for rookie Ryan Lindley. Now, Skelton is about as bad a starting quarterback as there in the league -- and unfortunately for the Cards, Kevin Kolb is probably still weeks away from a return, according to sources -- but to yank him there, on the road against a team as good as Atlanta, was ballsy. Skelton was stinking it up, but Lindley did the same, the Falcons rallied and the Cards were held to six points the rest of the way to drop their sixth straight game.

Why Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff didn't demand his shaky unit not stick with a pretty obvious fake punt early on was beyond me. His personal protector, Tim Tebow, should have made the call, with the Rams not playing the punt at all and in a run formation. But in the end that kind of thing will call on the coach as well. The Jets also got a field goal blocked but, of this group, had the best day as they ended up handling the Rams anyway.

And while some will rip Mularkey for going for it on 4th and 10 around midfield late in overtime, I applaud the move. Chad Henne had made some plays -- no way you go back to Gabbert now, I don't care what his elbow feels like this week -- and when you have one win and are trying to pull off the biggest upset of the season, you don't play for the tie. You try to kick the field goal and win the game. Punting with still over two minutes left, against an offense that rolled up over 600 yards on you, still leaves too much time and doesn't assure anything, either. Good for Mularkey for taking a shot.

Extra points
    The fireworks on the Lions' sidelines, with receivers coach Shawn Jefferson yelling at offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, bears monitoring. This defeat to Green Bay pretty much quashes playoff hopes, a tough Turkey Day matinee with Houston looms, and the Lions play a murderous schedule down the stretch. Matt Stafford has not been right, and despite all the yardage they amass, Linehan and Co. can't get in the end zone. I can't help but wonder whether there are staff changes here, though coach Jim Schwartz just got a well-deserved extension. However, position coach/coordinator moves might be afoot depending on how they finish.

Dallas got some fortuitous officiating to survive the Browns, but they were overpowered physically on both sides of the line at times and Cleveland, not exactly a dominant pass rushing outfit, ran all over the Cowboys' offensive line, sacking Tony Romo seven times. That's a major cause for concern. Also couldn't figure out why coordinator Rob Ryan didn't move DeMarcus Ware away from Browns left tackle Joe Thomas right away. And another week means another bizarre Dez Bryant highlight -- this time running out of bounds backwards a few yards short of a first down without a defender yet on top of him. Oh those wacky Cowboys!

Atlanta gave up over 100 yards rushing to a poor Arizona's ground game in the first quarter alone, coming off a week in which the Saints pummeled them on the ground. Expect teams to keep challenging them in that regard.

The Patriots nearly ran up 60 points on the Colts, so the explosive offense isn't an issue there. But I am still stunned Brandon Lloyd doesn't have a catch over 30 yards all season. I expected him to be among the NFL leaders in yards per catch playing with Tom Brady. That's odd.

And Eagles fans, be careful what you wish for. All of the Mike Vick bashing and the calls for rookie Nick Foles? Well, um, OK. Understand now why Reid wasn't going to play him unless Vick got hurt or until all playoff hope was lost? That was downright awful, and the outing came against what is one of the league's five worst defenses.

Brandon Weedon repeatedly overthrew targets, looked unsettled and had copious amounts of time to find open targets on third down early in that game, and simply could not get it done. I see the Browns being in the market for a quarterback via the draft, trade or otherwise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...re-on-the-line

I DO *NOT* WANT ANOTHER ROOKIE HEAD COACH!

I WANT SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE(if Rex were ever to get the boot)!!!!

ENOUGH WITH THE NOOBS!!!!

I want both Tanny and Rex back for another season. They have already gotten it right in the past, so therefore I support them getting one more opportunity to put the team back on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I want both Tanny and Rex back for another season. They have already gotten it right in the past, so therefore I support them getting one more opportunity to put the team back on the right track.
    I disagree, I would say yes one more year if they have not stubbornly hitched their fates to Sanchez. Rex, if he is actually learning some coaching lessons is still a viable head coach. Tanny's high risk high reward philosophy has been more risk than reward. I wouldn't mind seeing Rex back with some hard nosed veteran GM who could tel Rex to stick to coaching and get his snout out of obtaining the players.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I disagree, I would say yes one more year if they have not stubbornly hitched their fates to Sanchez. Rex, if he is actually learning some coaching lessons is still a viable head coach. Tanny's high risk high reward philosophy has been more risk than reward. I wouldn't mind seeing Rex back with some hard nosed veteran GM who could tel Rex to stick to coaching and get his snout out of obtaining the players.
    How much say do you think Rex really has with personnel? I am not sure if he has as much say as we think. I know Tanny and Rex had said in the past that he had one pick every year that was his, but who knows how accurate that is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not a chance Perry Fewell ends up here. Hes Giant D isnt any good. What qualifies hm to be a head coach?

You cant sell this to the fanbase at this point. If its a rookie head coach, it needs to be an offensive guy like jay gruden.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Lunacy. Sheer lunacy.

A lucky break here, a couple of playoff teams taking the weekend off there, Rex Ryan's real record looks like this:

2009 7-9
    2010 7-9
    2011 7-9
    2012 6-10

Pretend we lost yesterday, because we played lousy enough to lose. Doubt you'd think these clowns running the circus deserve another chance.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    How about David Shaw? I know he is a college coach but he has 9 yrs NFL experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    2009 7-9
    2010 7-9
    2011 7-9
    2012 6-10
    Stop. There are circumstances every year where teams benefit. Blown calls, lucky plays etc. Rex was great here the 1st 2 years. Do not take that away from him. But the last year and a half has shown us he is not a nfl head coach.

He is going to get fired after this year, but do not minimize his accomplishments in year 1 and 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretend we lost yesterday, because we played lousy enough to lose. Doubt you'd think these clowns running the circus deserve another chance.
    Yesterdays win has no bearing on anything. Rex and sanchez still stink regardless of the outcome yesterday.

Hall Of Fame
    Even if that means Sanchez is the starter for another year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Its no different then when herm was a breath of fresh air after the parcell regime. And mangini was the mangenius when he took over. These guys have a few good years with somebody else's players but cannot construct and coach there own franchise.

We need a franchise coach. The guys we have been hiring have been "breath of fresh air" coaches.

Herm had the personality you wanted to play for, mangini was real smart and rex was a defensive guru.

but you need to be a head coach. not just have a specific strength. that only goes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Lunacy. Sheer lunacy.

A lucky break here, a couple of playoff teams taking the weekend off there, Rex Ryan's real record looks like this:

2009 7-9
    2010 7-9
    2011 7-9
    2012 6-10

SAR I
    And your real post count subtracting all of the trolling is this: 0

Banned
    I think Tanny is finished when the season ends. Woody Johnson didn't give him (or Rex for that matter) much of a vote of confidence last week.

That said, I think whoever is the new GM will be asked to give strong consideration towards keeping Rex for at least another season. However if Woody does decided to clean house, I think we should go with a retread coach. No more young guys learning on the job. Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Brian Billick.....f*ck it, I'd even be fine with Jim Fassel.

The only guy with no HC experience that I'd consider is Russ Grimm.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 11-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How about David Shaw? I know he is a college coach but he has 9 yrs NFL experience.
    In your heart of hearts, do you really think that David Shaw is going to be better than Rex? Or even half of the NFL coaches for that matter?

I don't agree with moving on from Rex, but at least have a reasonable replacement in place.

Perry Fewell is a disaster. Gruden isn't a disaster, but I really don't think much of him.

You people looking for coaches like Cowher and Holmgren need to wake up too. No coach has ever won with two different teams as the head coach, and those two aren't even half as good as their competitors. And by competitors, I mean other great coaches.

I think Rex is the best coach we've ever had and if he goes it would be a big mistake....This is exactly why the Jets will never win a Super Bowl....its always rinse and repeat with this team...no continuity whatsoever....anyone notice every time we've had a presidential election we've had a different head coach????and different QB??? where has it got us???? Look around we are not exactly winners.....but I would want to stick with a coach that got us close then ever before...TWICE...Cut the old fat, restock on talent, get healthy and we are a much different team..
    Last edited by tfine350z; 11-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Brian Billick.....f*ck it, I'd even be fine with Jim Fassel.
    Why not toss out current-but-not-for-long-Skins coach Mika Shanahan too.

The amount of fail one of these ultrarusty past-their-prime retreads would create here in New York....J.I. would crash forever under teh strain of angry posts.

The answer to the Jets woes is not, and never will be, an old retired former-winner-elsewhere coming in for a massive payday, massive hypetrain, and no realistic chance they can win or meet expectations.

Remember, before he won it all, Cowher had a three year period where he won 7, 6 and 9 games. Here, in NY, that a firable offense after the 6 win year.

Rex hasn't started as fast as Cowher (less wins, more AFCCG's), but he'd never get the chance to bounce back Cowher got either.

Stay the course, dump Sanchez, dump Sparano, reload the O. The D will, IMO, be fine. If we had better than a younger, hollywoodier Trent Dilfer at QB, we'd have won more than 8 last year, and more than 4 thus far this year. It alls tarts at QB, and ours is just bad.

The only guy with no HC experience that I'd consider is Russ Grimm.
    I was high on him when Rex was hired (I preferred Grimm over Rex, the only guy I preferred over Rex actually), but there has got to be good solid reasons why this guy cannot get a real sniff of a Head Coach job. So pass.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How much say do you think Rex really has with personnel? I am not sure if he has as much say as we think. I know Tanny and Rex had said in the past that he had one pick every year that was his, but who knows how accurate that is.
    Rex is a very strong personality and is Tannys buddy. He worked out coples personally and we have Coples. He had been given his 'one' pick per draft which was ludicrous. I think he has had a huge effect on not only who we have taken but what positions we have drafted.

Perry Fewell is a f*cking retard.

that is all.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Rex is a very strong personality and is Tannys buddy. He worked out coples personally and we have Coples. He had been given his 'one' pick per draft which was ludicrous. I think he has had a huge effect on not only who we have taken but what positions we have drafted.
    I tend to agree with you.