Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: will Alex Smith get his job back? / should he?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I agree with all of this.

If you go back to Smith and he struggles, you have a short leash for him and go to the rookie and the Colin K. era starts. If you yank Smith, start Colin and Colin struggles, you have no choice but to go back to a disgruntled vet who feels like he got the shaft.

Is that really even an issue anymore? He's heard the "We Want Carr!" chants. He knows the 49ers were courting Peyton, he tried out with the Dolphins in the offseason. I think he understands his role at this point in his career and has no pipe dreams of something greater. As SlickBri wrote, he's done a solid job this season, making a switch at this point in the season with this kind of team is a huge gamble. Let Alex start again, but just bring the leash really short. It's the best play right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    You might be right.

But this is about opinions. In my opinion, Kaepernick showed me something last night in one of the most impressive debuts ever.

Smith is a pretty good QB. He's not great.

Kaepernick can be special IMO and he would be my long-term solution.

Keep in mind Harbaugh drafted this kid in the 2nd round, a lot of people thought it was a reach at the time. He inherited Smith.

For the record, I'd take Smith in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, it's certainly not an easy or clearcut decision, I just think Harbaugh needs to be level-headed about it and not possibly alienate veteran players by benching a guy for having a good season on the strength of one great game by the backup.

Kaepernick was awesome last night, hard to deny that. But there's still limited gamefilm on him for opponents to plan for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully not. for every 1 solid game Alex puts up, he follows with 3 hideous ones. Its a damned shame that Peyton chose Denver.

Hopefully Kaepernick keeps it up so I never have to see Alex start another game as a 49er. He's the 49ers' version of Browning Nagle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    hopefully not. for every 1 solid game Alex puts up, he follows with 3 hideous ones. Its a damned shame that Peyton chose Denver.

Hopefully Kaepernick keeps it up so I never have to see Alex start another game as a 49er. He's the 49ers' version of Browning Nagle.
    What are you smoking ? Nagle broke 100 for pass rating once in his career, and that was his first game. After that, he broke 90 twice and 80 twice. That's it.

This year alone, Alex Smith has gone over a 100 rating in 5 of his 9 games and his current rating for the year is 104.1

Last year, of the 16 games he started, Smith topped 100 in 4 games, 90 in 4 games and 80 in 4 games. That's above an 80 rating in 12 of his 16 of his 16 starts. In his 2 playoff games, he had ratings of 103.2 and 97.6 for an avg of 101.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm rooting for the Saints to beat them back to pure. They can beat the Dollfish and lose the rest of their games- I'm rooting for Seattle to win the NFC West.