Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: will Alex Smith get his job back? / should he?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    In one word....YES. I really don't think Smith is very good, but why change horses in mid-stream? Niners are having a good season and don't need the distractions. Now they have the benefit of having a back-up QB that proved he can play a bit in the NFl, and a possible trade chip in future( see Philly and GreenBay). Think bigger point coming out of game is ......Cutler, as goofy as he is, may be the most valuable player in NFL. Bears are LOST without him.
    Last edited by section314; 11-20-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: wrong word

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will he? I think so. Should he? I think so. You shouldn't lose your job due to injury and he should be given a chance to reclaim his job. However, if he comes back and struggles against the Saints, THEN it's time to make the switch to Kaepernick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    No, he won't replace Alex Smith this season. He was a rookie last year, learning behind a QB with a similar playing style. That's why he can step right into the offense and take over like he is today.

Let's see, if we had a #1 QB that could do that, it would be important to have a #2 QB that could slip into the same offense if #1 got hurt. That's one reason why Tebow couldn't be Peyton Manning's #2 QB - different offenses.
    WOW!!!

The niners have 2 qb's that are way better than all 3 of ours. Nice work Tanny and Rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh to trade for Alex Smith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    You shouldn't lose your job due to injury and he should be given a chance to reclaim his job.
    If only Bellychuck understood that rule, we wouldn't have had to put up with Tom Brady all these years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One game is too small of a sampling to decide. That said, I bet they sit Alex Smith for one more week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's also playing behind one of the best Olines in the NFL
    3, 1st round picks, a solid center, a Nasty running game. The running formations they threw at the Bears D was a thing of beauty.
    The Bears D has been beating up on the sisters of the poor Olines this year & were overrated because of it.
    49ers knocked them into reality.
    Rex & Sparano could learn a lot from the 49ers regarding " ground & pound" football.
    They should be taking notes like school children & draft players to emulate that style of an offence.
    The Niners are what Rex would love to be & coach.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should "rest" Smith one more week and see what Colin can do. I don't think Kaepernick is nearly as good as he looked last night to be honest, at least not yet, but I also don't think Alex Smith is all that great either. Kaepernick has a solid arm and is pretty accurate. He also did a great job going through his reads and understanding what the D was doing. But alot of backups also look great for one game...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harbaugh was asked after the game during his press conference and he winked at the reporter and said he was going to go with the hot hand.

Harbaugh's a good coach. Smith will be benched because they have to win in spite of him and Kaepernick will and should remain the starter.

The rest of the league should take notice. If the Niners can pass and you can't stack the box, then they are the most complete and well-balanced team in the league. By a mile.

Their defense is awesome, their running game has both depth and explosion, they have a great offensive line, and they have talent 3 deep at WR, the best TE in the league, and a 2nd TE better than the majority of the league's starters.

Kaepernick has an absolute cannon. Pair him with Moss and you will see some serious explosions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For this season, yes, unless he has a stretch of a couple bad games when he returns from injury. Next season looks less likely. The Niners have no need to rush Kaepernick, yes he makes their offense more dynamic, but the best chance they have of a guy managing a close playoff game is probably Smith right now. And they're still comfortable playing that way. A bad playoff performance would probably doom Smith's chances in 2013 that's for sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shocked this is even an issue. Smith completed like 19/21 passes with 3 tds like two weeks ago.

Harbaugh shouldn't have even made the comment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    If only Bellychuck understood that rule, we wouldn't have had to put up with Tom Brady all these years.
    Kind of a different situation. I should have stated when the previous QB has won games. Smith is coming off a 13-3 season and a 6-2-1 record this season. Bledsoe was 5-11 followed by an 0-2 start.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Kind of a different situation. I should have stated when the previous QB has won games. Smith is coming off a 13-3 season and a 6-2-1 record this season. Bledsoe was 5-11 followed by an 0-2 start.
    Record's important, but are we going to completely ignore stats altogether?

You want to look at a guy who was expected to manage a game, then look at Schaub this year.

But when it came down to it, Kubiak unleashed him and Andre Johnson and said "win the game," when they needed to.

Houston is an example of having a good to elite level QB and playing balanced to protect him, but when threatened with a loss, they unleashed Schaub and despite two picks, he carried the offense with Andre Johnson.

Harbaugh is one of the most talented coaches in the league and he knows this. Which is why Kaepernick should remain in. He has the arm and the weapons surrounding him, as well as a top 3 O-line to ease his transition into the starting role and has upside. Smith has zero upside. His career year was last season and the Niners won games by limiting his impact on them. You can't win a title in this league like that.

Smith, Sanchez, and numerous others cannot do that. If your QB cannot do that, then you aren't a serious contender. Try to dispute that and I'll point back that every QB since 2002 that has won a Super Bowl has been able to do that.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 11-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Record's important, but are we going to completely ignore stats altogether?

You want to look at a guy who was expected to manage a game, then look at Schaub this year.

But when it came down to it, Kubiak unleashed him and Andre Johnson and said "win the game," when they needed to.

Houston is an example of having a good to elite level QB and playing balanced to protect him, but when threatened with a loss, they unleashed Schaub and despite two picks, he carried the offense with Andre Johnson.

Harbaugh is one of the most talented coaches in the league and he knows this. Which is why Kaepernick should remain in. He has the arm and the weapons surrounding him, as well as a top 3 O-line to ease his transition into the starting role and has upside. Smith has zero upside. His career year was last season and the Niners won games by limiting his impact on them. You can't win a title in this league like that.

Smith, Sanchez, and numerous others cannot do that. If your QB cannot do that, then you aren't a serious contender. Try to dispute that and I'll point back that every QB since 2002 that has won a Super Bowl has been able to do that.
    It is you who is ignoring stats. Niners won their only playoff game in the past decade on the strength of Smith's arm and legs. He had to bring them back twice in the 4th quarter against the Saints last year, once with a long TD run, and once with a TD strike to Davis with under 30 seconds left. Saying the guy has zero upside when he did that in the playoffs last year and has 104 passer rating this season (3rd in NFL) is not a fair statement. Comparing his recent level of play to that of Sanchez is an extremely unfair statement.

Harbaugh will go back to him, he hasn't done anything to lose his starting job. Kaepernick is a bonus for the Niners right now. They have two competent QBs, we have zero. That is our sad reality.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Harbaugh was asked after the game during his press conference and he winked at the reporter and said he was going to go with the hot hand.

Harbaugh's a good coach. Smith will be benched because they have to win in spite of him and Kaepernick will and should remain the starter.

The rest of the league should take notice. If the Niners can pass and you can't stack the box, then they are the most complete and well-balanced team in the league. By a mile.

Their defense is awesome, their running game has both depth and explosion, they have a great offensive line, and they have talent 3 deep at WR, the best TE in the league, and a 2nd TE better than the majority of the league's starters.

Kaepernick has an absolute cannon. Pair him with Moss and you will see some serious explosions.

Hate to derail, but Gronk is better than Vernon Davis by just about every objective measure you can come up with. He's top-3, though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaepernick had one of the best first starts in NFL history, at least as far as I can remember.

He was lights out and made all sorts of throws -- accurate and decisive. He is a much better thrower than I thought. Combine the big arm with his legs... wow. They really have something there.

Smith is a decent player but he's limited and is who he is at this point in his career; Harbaugh knows exactly what he will get out of Smith, and Jim knows that it isn't good enough.

I think he will go with the high-upside guy and see where that takes them this year and perhaps beyond.

Did you guys see the post game interview with Vernon Davis? He was like a 265lb. boy who just got EXACTLY what he wanted from Santa.

Not that my opinion really matters, but I'd go with Kaepernick and never look back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Kaepernick had one of the best first starts in NFL history, at least as far as I can remember.

He was lights out and made all sorts of throws -- accurate and decisive. He is a much better thrower than I thought. Combine the big arm with his legs... wow. They really have something there.

Smith is a decent player but he's limited and is who he is at this point in his career; Harbaugh knows exactly what he will get out of Smith, and Jim knows that it isn't good enough.

I think he will go with the high-upside guy and see where that takes them this year and perhaps beyond.

Did you guys see the post game interview with Vernon Davis? He was like a 265lb. boy who just got EXACTLY what he wanted from Santa.

Not that my opinion really matters, but I'd go with Kaepernick and never look back.
    You can't make rash decisions off one game. Smith is having a good year and has proven he will take care of the ball and manage a game. Kaepernick has a very high upside and will be their QB of the future. But he is still a bit of an unknown for right now. Basically, if Kyle Williams hangs onto the punt returns last year, Niners make the SB and very well might have won it. Smith was good enough then. This year's Niners team may even be better. He hasn't done anything to lose the job and should be given back the job. If he struggles, you know you have a bigtime talent behind him that can come in. Plus they can still run packages for Kaepernick like they've done all year. I think Harbaugh will ultimately play it like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You can't make rash decisions off one game. Smith is having a good year and has proven he will take care of the ball and manage a game. Kaepernick has a very high upside and will be their QB of the future. But he is still a bit of an unknown for right now. Basically, if Kyle Williams hangs onto the punt returns last year, Niners make the SB and very well might have won it. Smith was good enough then. This year's Niners team may even be better. He hasn't done anything to lose the job and should be given back the job. If he struggles, you know you have a bigtime talent behind him that can come in. Plus they can still run packages for Kaepernick like they've done all year. I think Harbaugh will ultimately play it like that.
    You might be right.

But this is about opinions. In my opinion, Kaepernick showed me something last night in one of the most impressive debuts ever.

Smith is a pretty good QB. He's not great.

Kaepernick can be special IMO and he would be my long-term solution.

Keep in mind Harbaugh drafted this kid in the 2nd round, a lot of people thought it was a reach at the time. He inherited Smith.

For the record, I'd take Smith in a heartbeat.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I agree with all of this.

If you go back to Smith and he struggles, you have a short leash for him and go to the rookie and the Colin K. era starts. If you yank Smith, start Colin and Colin struggles, you have no choice but to go back to a disgruntled vet who feels like he got the shaft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Yeah it prompted me to make an account on the 49ers board and blast both him and Harbaugh.

Don't get me wrong, if they want to play Colin, and feel that he is even better, go for it.

But to make back handed statements like that undermining Smith to the media, after 1 game, when Smith has been absolutely brilliant for them just a week ago, not to mention has led them to back to back winning records....pretty classless.

They could have just kept it private, and if they wanted to promote Colin, do it. Smith doesn't deserve that.