Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Goodwin......remember him?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Jonathan Goodwin......remember him?

This guy was a great back-up lineman for the Jets for 4 seasons from 2002-2005. He was very versatile, he played Guard & Center. I always liked the guy, very underrated. Then for some unknown reason, the Jets let him walk (don't recall if it was Bradway or Tannenbaum who was the GM when it happened - pretty sure it was Bradway though).

Since then, Goodwin was a starter on the Saints O-Line when they won their superbowl a few years ago and he has been the starting center for the 49'ers last season and this season.

Goodwin has had success everywhere he's gone. Why did we let this guy go again? Anyway, I am happy for the guy, he was always very under-appreciated when he was with the Jets, and he wasn't a greedy guy with huge contract demands like James Farrior & Randy Thomas were.....I'm glad that he is having success....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-19-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    This guy was a great back-up lineman for the Jets for 4 seasons from 2002-2005. He was very versatile, I always liked the guy, very underrated. Then for some unknown reason, the Jets let him walk (don't recall if Bradway or Tannenbaum who was the GM when it happened - pretty sure it was Bradway though).

Since then, Goodwin was a starter on the Saints O-Line when they won their superbowl a few years ago and he has been the starting center for the 49'ers last season and this season.

Goodwin has had success everywhere he's gone. Why did we let this guy go again? Anyway, I am happy for the guy, he was always very under-appreciated when he was with the Jets, and he wasn't a greedy guy with huge contract demands like James Farrior & Randy Thomas were.....I'm glad that he is having success....
    Happy with Mangold no comparison there. Goodwin's turned out to be a a good starting center, developed well over time and seized his opportunities.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Happy with Mangold no comparison there. Goodwin's turned out to be a a good starting center, developed well over time and seized his opportunities.
    I wasn't comparing Goodwin to Mangold at all.

Just giving some recognition to a very productive player (and former Jet) that was let go for no apparent reason.

There is a comparison though....Goodwin has a SB ring that Mangold doesn't have.....I'm just sayin'.....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-20-2012 at 12:09 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Goodwin also plays guard. He'd be a huge upgrade over the garbage we start now.

Mangold is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Goodwin also plays guard. He'd be a huge upgrade over the garbage we start now.
    Completely agree. Although I have no idea the circumstances behind him leaving, but I never thought he was highly regarded by the organization here and he has been a VERY successful player in the league since leaving

Goodwin was our backup center, but when Kevin Mawae got injured the Jets moved Pete Kendall to C and put Goodwin in for the rest of the season at guard.

He was an UFA. We made some sort of token offer, he signed with the Saints for more money.

As I recall, the 2005-2006 offseason was basically about us escaping salary cap hell from 2003-2004 when we beefed up with expensive veterans to try and make a playoff run under Herm.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Just giving some recognition to a very productive player (and former Jet) that was let go for no apparent reason.

There is a comparison though....Goodwin has a SB ring that Mangold doesn't have.....I'm just sayin'.....
    He was definitely a quality backup here, but when his contract came up, there was no real opportunity for him to start here, so he moved on. I'm not sure of the details (whether the Jets tried to keep him, etc.) but its just one of those things in the NFL. A guy who is a backup under his rookie contract but shows some promise in his limited snaps goes to a team that is willing to give him a few dollars and the opportunity.

Rob Turner was the most recent guy for us. Maybe he'll catch on somewhere, maybe he won't. But, he was probably ready for a change instead of being pigeon-holed as the versatile backup for the Jets.

All League

Yeah but Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have rings while Marino, Kelly, and Moon don't also, doesn't mean they're better individual players because their teams had more success.

I liked Goodwin though, and while our Guards aren't horrible, he would be a quality player for this team.

I don't know why it didn't work out in NY but am happy he turned into a legit starter, just wish it was here instead.

Sent from my LG-P999

You're clueless...I'm just sayin"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Yeah but Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have rings while Marino, Kelly, and Moon don't also, doesn't mean they're better individual players because their teams had more success.

I liked Goodwin though, and while our Guards aren't horrible, he would be a quality player for this team.

I don't know why it didn't work out in NY but am happy he turned into a legit starter, just wish it was here instead.

Sent from my LG-P999
    He's too short to play guard on a running team. Perfect for a center, which is a position that rarely blocks anyone solo. We have one of the rare ones. Mawae was great because he could get to the second level, and block on the move. Mangold is amazing because he can take on all pro NTs by himself, run or pass.

This guy was a great back-up lineman for the Jets for 4 seasons from 2002-2005. He was very versatile, he played Guard & Center. I always liked the guy, very underrated. Then for some unknown reason, the Jets let him walk (don't recall if it was Bradway or Tannenbaum who was the GM when it happened - pretty sure it was Bradway though).

It's not exactly an "unknown reason". The Jets had a Hall of Famer at Center in Kevin Mawae, and weren't able to offer Goodwin either the money or the opportunity he would be able to obtain elsewhere.

BTW, it's pretty easy to complain about this move looking backwards. Since you've always liked the guy, though, can you point me to your posts from 2005 complaining about how letting him walk was a mistake? I assume they existed, otherwise this thread would be pretty damn pathetic

All Pro
    robert turner was a very reliable C/G for us also

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    robert turner was a very reliable C/G for us also
    Yes, that's true but Turner was also coming off of a broken leg not to mention that he had that tool Neil Schwartz as his agent - the same jerkoff agent that Pete Kendall & Chris Baker had and who Darelle Revis currently has, who has a long running history of dragging the Jets through the ringer when trying to sign his clients/players to new deals....

2 pretty good reasons why Turner isn't here anymore. There were no circumstances like that surrounding Goodwin's departure that I can recall....

And revischrist..... just for you brother and take this with you....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Since you've always liked the guy, though, can you point me to your posts from 2005 complaining about how letting him walk was a mistake? I assume they existed, otherwise this thread would be pretty damn pathetic
    Actually, those posts do exist.

If you want to see them so badly, get off your lazy a$s and look for them. Otherwise, go find another tree to hump snapper.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

agreed. Goodwin was a very good player for us. I failed to see you compare him to anyone! he deserved the credit you gave him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    agreed. Goodwin was a very good player for us. I failed to see you compare him to anyone! he deserved the credit you gave him.
    Thanks Kentucky.

You know there are always those couple of knuckleheads lurking around that have nothing better to do then talk crap, like it's the sole purpose of their existence.

All Pro

Yeah! me do! saw him on Manday night football talking to the SF QB #7 Collin @##$$$%^&*nikle somebody... another one that got away;

The same reason they let all the other talented players go that are scattered about the NFL now. They are clueless in the front office.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks Kentucky.

You know there are always those couple of knuckleheads lurking around that have nothing better to do then talk crap, like it's the sole purpose of their existence.
    Very true. Happy Thanksgiving!