Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is Bellichek losing his genius status?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1204914

It's a two page article but here's page one

Bill Belichick is certain to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame five years after he’s finished coaching - three titles gets him in - but to call him a football genius these days is completely outdated.
    Although he always has one of the best teams in the NFL, and this season is no different, it’s been seven seasons since Belichick last won the Super Bowl and his three championships in his first five years in New England all came prior to being exposed in the SpyGate scandal at the beginning of the 2007 season.
    The longer Belichick goes without winning a Super Bowl after the Jets and the NFL put an end to his intricate spying operation of opponents’ defensive signals, the more a case can be made that his championships deserve an asterisk.
    The mystique and aura of Belichick has taken major hits.
    He is supposed to be so much smarter than everybody else, so until now he has escaped criticism for his bizarre deployment of personnel in blowout games because it hasn’t resulted in a major injury.
    What sense does it make leaving Tom Brady in at the end of games with leads so big even the Patriots’ putrid defense can hold them? Fortunately for Brady, nobody has taken a cheap shot at him as Belichick keeps dialing up touchdowns.
    But how sick must Belichick feel now that he will be Gronk-less for the Thanksgiving Night game against the Jets at MetLife because he kept All-Pro tight end Rob Gronkowski on the extra point protection team after New England scored its eighth touchdown Sunday to take a 59-24 lead against the Colts with 3:55 remaining. Gronk broke his forearm and had surgery Monday.
    “He is my All-Pro tight end and my quarterback’s favorite receiver. I would get him off the field,” an NFL source said Monday. “Don’t expose him any more than he has to. Belichick can be second-guessed for that. I would. If it was a game-changing situation and we need to lock down the game, then use him. But what he did is not smart. It’s not good business.”

JIM ROGASH/GETTY IMAGES

Rob Gronkowski plays one down too many against the Colts.

Belichick, who would not even acknowledge Monday that Gronkowski had surgery that’s expected to keep him out 4-6 weeks, defended leaving Gronkowski on special teams at the end of Sunday’s game, although he wasn’t on the field for the offensive series.

“Football players play football,” he said on WEEI in Boston. “You tell me which guys are going to get hurt and I’ll get them out of there.”
    He added, “You have to be careful about pulling some guys and not others and sending the message that the team cares about one player more than the other.”
    However, the reality is some players are more important than others. Those players need to be protected when possible to minimize the risk of being injured.
    The Jets, who might need to win their final six games to make the playoffs, certainly will benefit by Gronkowski’s absence. He scored two touchdowns against them earlier this season in the Patriots’ overtime victory in Foxborough.
    Brady threw his last pass Sunday against the Colts with 5:32 left even though the Patriots led 52-24. Brady took the first 58 offensive snaps until he was finally replaced by Ryan Mallett for the three plays the Patriots ran on the last series. When the Patriots beat the Jets, 45-3, near the end of the 2010 season, Belichick had Brady take every snap.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2Cm9QvB2J
    LMAO

It wasn't smart of them to leave their starters in there once they topped 50 points- gotta hope it'll somehow come back to bite them tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    It wasn't smart of them to leave their starters in there once they topped 50 points- gotta hope it'll somehow come back to bite them tomorrow night.
    Yep, Belichick should have taken a time out, huddled the team together and said, "OK, I'm going to sit you, you, you and you. You're important. You, you, you and you are going in for this extra point. We don't give a f-k if you get hurt."

SMART coaches would do that.

The circumstances under which this injury occurred make me question the intelligence of anyone criticizing it. If you're just hating, that's fine, I think that's where most of this comes from. But if you honestly think this was a bad coaching decision then I feel bad for you and your understanding of basic statistics.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    The circumstances under which this injury occurred make me question the intelligence of anyone criticizing it. If you're just hating, that's fine, I think that's where most of this comes from. But if you honestly think this was a bad coaching decision then I feel bad for you and your understanding of basic statistics.
    It's not putting him in there that is the bad decision. I mean, how often does a guy get hurt during an extra point. Its the constant running up the scores when a game is way out of reach. It eventually comes back to bite you in the arse. And it did. That is what people are talking about.

Belichick won 11 games with Matt Cassell.......what more needs to be said. Has anyone watched a Matt Cassell game lately. Sanchez is All World compared to Matt Cassell. In 2008, Cassell replaced Brady and instantly began the scramble first offense. It took Belichick a few games to calm the kid who hadn't started a game since HS. Sure, he had Moss....but have you seen what's going on in Arizona lately. Having an All World WR on the field doesn't mean success.
    Indy loses Manning and they get the #1 pick. NE loses Brady, and the wins continue to pile up. That Belichick, what a fraud.
    And let's remember the 2010 draft....also known as the deepest draft in years because first round money was getting axed the next year. In a normal draft year, graded first round talent usually ends around #20....not in 2010....where the draft experts saw 1st round talent well into the second round. Who was ready for this draft with multiple picks that landed him among others Gronkowski and Spikes in the 2nd round. His DB choices were suspect that year, but adding the most productive TE in NFL history plus a thumper LB and hybrid TE in the 4th (1st round grade with weed issues)....not to mention pushing picks in '11 as well.
    The genius label is all encompassing. Its Belichick's show....and he has run circles around the league for more than a decade. A second for Welker....from a divisional foe. A 4th for Moss...the greatest TD season ever by a WR. What a fraud!
    I know the haters are down on his defenses. Scoring 35/ game is easy in their world. Playing with leads in a passing league is incredibly easy in their fantasy leagues. Winning 12+ games yearly despite drafting at the bottom of every round every year should never be a consideration.....hey look what the Jets have accomplished with higher picks every year....Its Easy... right. Look how great San Fran is now....that's the coach who should be labeled the genius...right? No mention of all the top ten picks on their roster....or rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Belichick won 11 games with Matt Cassell.......what more needs to be said. Has anyone watched a Matt Cassell game lately. Sanchez is All World compared to Matt Cassell. In 2008, Cassell replaced Brady and instantly began the scramble first offense. It took Belichick a few games to calm the kid who hadn't started a game since HS. Sure, he had Moss....but have you seen what's going on in Arizona lately. Having an All World WR on the field doesn't mean success.
    Indy loses Manning and they get the #1 pick. NE loses Brady, and the wins continue to pile up. That Belichick, what a fraud.
    And let's remember the 2010 draft....also known as the deepest draft in years because first round money was getting axed the next year. In a normal draft year, graded first round talent usually ends around #20....not in 2010....where the draft experts saw 1st round talent well into the second round. Who was ready for this draft with multiple picks that landed him among others Gronkowski and Spikes in the 2nd round. His DB choices were suspect that year, but adding the most productive TE in NFL history plus a thumper LB and hybrid TE in the 4th (1st round grade with weed issues)....not to mention pushing picks in '11 as well.
    The genius label is all encompassing. Its Belichick's show....and he has run circles around the league for more than a decade. A second for Welker....from a divisional foe. A 4th for Moss...the greatest TD season ever by a WR. What a fraud!
    I know the haters are down on his defenses. Scoring 35/ game is easy in their world. Playing with leads in a passing league is incredibly easy in their fantasy leagues. Winning 12+ games yearly despite drafting at the bottom of every round every year should never be a consideration.....hey look what the Jets have accomplished with higher picks every year....Its Easy... right. Look how great San Fran is now....that's the coach who should be labeled the genius...right? No mention of all the top ten picks on their roster....or rings?
    How many times do you crowds have to be reminded that you still had a very good defense in 2008 & your schedule was the easiest in the NFL with not one win against a team with a winning record!
    I'm so sick of 2008 being brought up. Oh & the Jets beat you on your field.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He will lose his genius status the second Brady retires.

He actually is a very good coach. The year Brady went down he still went 11-5 with Matt Cassel who has since proven to be a disappointment in Kansas city.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    How many times do you crowds have to be reminded that you still had a very good defense in 2008 & your schedule was the easiest in the NFL with not one win against a team with a winning record!
    I'm so sick of 2008 being brought up. Oh & the Jets beat you on your field.
    So you think the 11-5 Bradyless record of 2008 is comparable to the Manningless 2-14 record of 2011?
    And are you saying Belichick 'the fraud" gets no credit for..... having a good defense in 2008? Don't you hate when over rated coaches have....3 solid phases of a team...O, D, Special teams.
    The Jets have been facing the hapless Bills and Fish for a decade now yet I read no apologies for their schedules...only when the Pats beat the teams they always seem to beat....the bad ones. Don't you hate it when over rated coaches always win against the weak sisters of the league. Why has it been so hard for the rest of the "genius" coaches in today's NFL to consistently beat the also-rans year in and year out....but the over rated Belichick does it?
    You guys are priceless

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Dude what's the problem? Yes Myers is a hack, yes anonymous sources are suspect. Most of all YES it's stupid to leave your starting TE (head and shoulders above most) in on special teams when you're up 48 to 24. Anyone, including Gary Myers, can see that. I feel bad for you if you can't see such simplistic logic.
    My favorite Belichick response to that logic is, "tell me which players are going to get hurt and I'll get them out of there." That is classic Bill Belichick.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    All I need to look at is Belichick's pre-Brady record vs. his post-Brady record.

It isn't even close who the real genius is in New England. It's the Quarterback.

Still a very, very good coach though.

Belichick's defense that stopped the Bills in the SB and gave that other genius QB, Phil Simms, a SB ring, is on display in the NFL HOF. When he is done, he will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Belichick's defense that stopped the Bills in the SB and gave that other genius QB, Phil Simms, a SB ring, is on display in the NFL HOF. When he is done, he will go down as one of the most overrated HEAD coaches of all time.
    fixed

Hall Of Fame

What's the difference between a Genius and a Con Artist?

Getting CAUGHT!

That and Monsanto having your back.

That marblemouth F*** is NO genius, he's merely a spy. A VERY good Spy, and a decent coach.

Answer to original post question: no.

F you, Jets.

DC

I've never believed he was a genius, just a very good HC.

But when your opponents turn the ball over to you 5 times, you don't have to be a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Getting CAUGHT!

That and Monsanto having your back.

That marblemouth F*** is NO genius, he's merely a spy. A VERY good Spy, and a decent coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I've never believed he was a genius, just a very good HC.

But when your opponents turn the ball over to you 5 times, you don't have to be a genius.
    The Pats have 32 takeaways, that's almost double the league average. Tell me that has nothing to do with superior coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LMAO

Still laughing Ray? You were right about one thing. It sure was good.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Go kick rocks, cocksucker... You should know after all these years how uncouth it is to kick your gracious hosts while they're down...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    since it appears that chowd trolls will be continued to to unabatedly ruin JI for some undeterminable time there is really nothing here for Jet fans to talk about. I'll try again before the Arizona game

Maybe (LHOP) they will all have been properly permabanned by then