Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers

Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers

Alex Smith takes them to the NFC Championship last season. They lose.

Smith is obviously not very good, despite having a good year last year. Smith is the former #1 overall pick.

Harbaugh was asked after the game last night in which his "backup," young QB Colin Kaepernick beat the snot out of what was probably widely considered the best defense in the NFL thus far this year, who would start next week and he winked and said he would stay with the hot hand.

Our coaching staff views it as a success to lose in the AFC Championship game and sticks by a QB with less time invested into him and picked lower in the draft than Smith and refuses to budge to make a change.

The 49ers, a team with perhaps the best history of winning in the NFL cuts bait on the crappy QB almost immediately since instead of winning in spite of their QB they can win BECAUSE of their QB.

This is why we're the Jets. That is why they're the 49ers.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

Smith is obviously not very good, despite having a good year last year. Smith is the former #1 overall pick.

Harbaugh was asked after the game last night in which his "backup," young QB Colin Kaepernick beat the snot out of what was probably widely considered the best defense in the NFL thus far this year, who would start next week and he winked and said he would stay with the hot hand.

Our coaching staff views it as a success to lose in the AFC Championship game and sticks by a QB with less time invested into him and picked lower in the draft than Smith and refuses to budge to make a change.

The 49ers, a team with perhaps the best history of winning in the NFL cuts bait on the crappy QB almost immediately since instead of winning in spite of their QB they can win BECAUSE of their QB.

LOL...except Smith has been the starter for 8 seasons now..LOL

They didn't pick Smith... Harbaugh has no ties to him.

And as great as Harbaugh is, he still hasn't made it further than Rex despite having more talent. Then again, constant drafting in the top 10 (while also drafting well) will get you a bunch of excellent players at a bunch of positions.

Totally agreed. The 49ers have a limited QB and actually go out and get another qb who can compete and push the incumbent. The jets do everything they can to avoid having any viable back up qb.

The 49ers draft a stud pass rusher and actually let him rush the passer. The Jets draft a pass rusher and stick him in as a 3-4 DE where your responsibilities are to control the line of scrimmage.

Last 5 years they have had 38 draft picks
    Last 5 years the jets have had 27 draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...except Smith has been the starter for 8 seasons now..LOL
    8 seasons spent "developing" him.

Like how Sanchez is going to ever get better.

15/20 for 178 yards and a TD is not even close to acceptable play from a starting NFL QB.

Anybody who wants to argue that is a homer idiot.

And that's arguably his best game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Last 5 years they have had 38 draft picks
    Last 5 years the jets have had 27 draft picks.
    That is tied to being terrible almost sorta on purpose. And not trading up for USC QB's.

Veteran

If the Jets had a better QB on the roster they would make the change. The problem is Rex is actually right and Sanchez gives us the best chance to win.

Rookie

15/20 for 178 yards and a TD is not even close to acceptable play from a starting NFL QB.

I am not a homer-idiot, but I will argue that he played an acceptable game for a starting NFL QB. With the score of the game and the fact that the Jets were running the ball well, there was no need to throw the ball all over the field. You would be the first one complaining if they took too many chances with a lead and threw a costly INT that allowed the Rams back in the game. The Jets were winning the game in the 4th quarter - it was in their best interest to run the ball and milk the clock so they could win. Not pad the stats of their QB so he could have an acceptable game for a starting NFL QB.

My point is that you can't merely look at numbers from a game and say that it is not acceptable without considering the context of the game - anyone who makes this argument is a fantasy football idiot.

The pass rush from the 49ers was exceptional last night. It makes no sense that they tied last week. Division games I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by JETSJetsJetsJets View Post
    I am not a homer-idiot, but I will argue that he played an acceptable game for a starting NFL QB. With the score of the game and the fact that the Jets were running the ball well, there was no need to throw the ball all over the field. You would be the first one complaining if they took too many chances with a lead and threw a costly INT that allowed the Rams back in the game. The Jets were winning the game in the 4th quarter - it was in their best interest to run the ball and milk the clock so they could win. Not pad the stats of their QB so he could have an acceptable game for a starting NFL QB.

My point is that you can't merely look at numbers from a game and say that it is not acceptable without considering the context of the game - anyone who makes this argument is a fantasy football idiot.
    +1, I was calling for Marks head the past couple of weeks but he looked comfortable, confident, and in control on Sunday. He had a good game against the Pats in Foxboro, aside from the fumble obviously. I think we have a really good chance of winning this one especially with Gronk out.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    +1, I was calling for Marks head the past couple of weeks but he looked comfortable, confident, and in control on Sunday. He had a good game against the Pats in Foxboro, aside from the fumble obviously. I think we have a really good chance of winning this one especially with Gronk out.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. Expect a multiple 2-3 TD blowout. One thing that has been very consistent under Rex, the 2nd Pats game is a bad bad blowout loss. They could have a backup QB and i would still expect a blowout.

All League
    alex smith will start when he returns from injury.

Hall Of Fame

Do you ever read what you post?

You said the 49ers are cutting bait almost immediately with their crappy QB. That crappy QB has started 8 seasons, how is that immediately?

What's funny is you keep calling Smith cr.appy, and while I agree he isn't elite, the season he is having blows anything Sanchez has ever done out of the water. Smith is having a good year, the only game he looked awful in was against the Giants, he had several strong games other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. Expect a multiple 2-3 TD blowout. One thing that has been very consistent under Rex, the 2nd Pats game is a bad bad blowout loss. They could have a backup QB and i would still expect a blowout.
    Yeah, this pattern has been consistent under Rex. We either beat the Pats and/or play them real close in the first game, then we head into the second matchup feeling confident that this is our time to make a big move on them and we get absolutely hammered. I hope Thursday changes the script, but based off a 2 TD win over the Rams on the heels of getting blown out twice, I don't see how people can be very confident about the matchup. We had a good week, but objectively this season, we aren't a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    If the Jets had a better QB on the roster they would make the change. The problem is Rex is actually right and Sanchez gives us the best chance to win.
    Yes he says that out of one side of his mouth as both he and Tanny have gone well out of their way to never have a viable backup.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    They didn't pick Smith... Harbaugh has no ties to him.

And as great as Harbaugh is, he still hasn't made it further than Rex despite having more talent. Then again, constant drafting in the top 10 (while also drafting well) will get you a bunch of excellent players at a bunch of positions.
    It really irks me that their top 10 pass rusher becomes a stud while we wasted our chance on Vernon Gholston. Not a criticism, just a lament. If that pick turned out differently and we got what we should expect, this is a markedly different team.

Yes he says that out of one side of his mouth as both he and Tanny have gone well out of their way to never have a viable backup.
    Drew stanton was fine. Blame woody for that brilliant move

Nobody can say that. McElroy has never been put on a field.

It's idiots who are bad at scouting determining that Sanchez is a better choice when Sanchez is awful.

These guys thought Wayne Hunter was decent. They thought Shonn Greene would step right in and be what LT was in the first half of 2010 and what Thomas Jones was in 2009.

They drafted Kyle Wilson.

If the owner wasn't a ringleader at a circus, then I have no doubt he would pressure them to play not Tebow, but McElroy. Unfortunately he's pushing for them to play Tebow.

Which is where we can point to the age-old adage that Tebow's a winner and all he does is win and it's ugly and it's unconventional, but who cares he wins, when that's utter idiocy.

At this point, I'd like to see Tebow in there, despite hating him and thinking he stinks simply because Sanchez is so far beyond his expiration date that the stadium smells like rotten eggs when he's on the field.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 11-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.